HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XX)

Old
09-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I don't remember Marty letting in very many weak goals this playoffs. I can count the ones. Maybe 2 in game 3 vs Florida, the one in game 2 against Florida to Goc, a couple not so good ones in game vs Florida, but I think they were deflected. There was one game against Philly he wasn't too good, but luckily Bryz was even more humanngous bad. Think it was the game Poni won in OT.

There was a point shot he gave up against the Rangers that was unscreened, and undeflected. It was the only goal he gave up in that game. The one to Doughty in the game 2 of the SCF was very similar, and guys know he's prone to goals from that angle. Two borderline stick side goals on the PP in game 4 of the SCF which didn't matter because we were shutout.

If you think Marty's goaltending was the worst it's ever been this playoffs watch a 29 year old Brodeur in the 01 SCF. The 01 SCF was the worst series I've ever seen him play and still nothing has even passed that. His performance in 08 was bad also, but he was the only reason we were in the playoffs that year.
It's not the worst but given how bad Brodeur has been ES in the regular season the last two years you have to think it will be the norm or worse.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
I would even think about Ari Ahonen for a stop gap goaltender next season. He has absolutely come into his own in the KHL. Split starts and see if he catches.
We don't need a stop gap next season. Marty said he will play out this contract regardless of the whole season being cancelled or not.

However in 2014/2015 we'll need a stop gap cause the guys in the minors won't be made starters after a year. Only way that happens is one of our goalies goes down in the next 2 years to injury, and one of them plays a bunch of games before that. Either a stop gap in 2014/2015 or Hedberg splitting time with Wedgewood is probably what will happen. I'd say Theodore or Backstrom is who we might see.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
It's not the worst but given how bad Brodeur has been ES in the regular season the last two years you have to think it will be the norm or worse.
He was great after ASB when he started playing more games, and got into a groove. He was also great with Lemaire when he was healthy in 10/11. He was bad first half of 10/11, but the whole team was including Hedberg. Goaltending was not a problem for much of that time as this team had absolutely no system at all when you look at the coverage on those goals.

Old
09-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
He was great after ASB when he started playing more games, and got into a groove. He was also great with Lemaire when he was healthy in 10/11. He was bad first half of 10/11, but the whole team was including Hedberg. Goaltending was not a problem for much of that time as this team had absolutely no system at all when you look at the coverage on those goals.
You can't pick and choose what games to use, every goaltender becomes a top starter that way. Brodeur has been letting in more unscreened shots from the point then I ever seen and god help us if a forward actually tips a shot. The saves we remember are the ones that Brodeur creates himself but recovers on.

As far as a stopgap solution, we will see how long 41 and 40 year goaltenders will last, out of the NHL for a year and a half. 2013-14 is not going to be a pretty year for NJ. They have quite a few UFA's and RFA's that may not like where the team is going without a starting goaltender.

Old
09-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
That's the same BS answer Oilers fans gave about Fuhr for years. You don't judge a goaltenders performance by wins, you are severely underchanging yourself. His past two regular season sv%'s are closer to where his true talent lies. He is probably a bottom 8 starting goaltender in the NHL right now.

At least a lockout moves us closer to a new starter.
Brodeur is no longer the 70 game goaltender that'll have a save percentage above .915 or a GAA under 2.2. That's pretty obvious

But what he will, and has showed he can do, is keep us in games and win them. We don't need him to be stellar night in and night out, we just need him to get it done when he's asked. He can be a solid 50-60 games goaltender. Hedberg can certainly relieve at least 20 games, if not more, off of his shoulders.

Down the stretch run and in the playoffs, Brodeur was playing like we've seen him play in past years, more importantly, he was winning games when it counted. I'd much rather Brodeur be ****** in games 1 and 3 then in games 6 and 7. That is what I was saying.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

I said this recently, but Brodeur's save percentage between 98-99. and 01/02 was was between a 906, and 910 for all those 4 seasons with 3 of those seasons at a 906 which is lower than his 908 this year. Only difference was he played 70+ games those years. In 00/01 he had 9 shutouts that year, but a 906 save percentage. If he had gotten 3 shutouts that year like he did this year his save percentage would have probably been below 900.

He had an 897 save percentage in the 01 playoffs when he lost in the SCF as opposed to his 917 this year. He also had more 4 shutouts that playoff year. He was very bad in the 01 SCF. Not even just statistics wise, but the quality of goals he gave up. Point shots that were unscreened many times. I don't think he was the difference though as we were shutout twice in this series by Roy. He along with the entire team were coming off two straight years to the SCF. That takes a lot out of you.

Old
09-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Lou only tried to sign Marty for 1 year and Marty lobbied for 2. Lou has a plan for the post Brodeur era even if it was just delayed a year.

I think the plan was if Marty retired after the 1 year contract Lou wanted to give him he'd have Moose to mentor whoever came in weather it be Wedgewood or Kinkaid or another young goalie via trade.

I don't think whomever Lou trade's for will be the guy he wants to go with down the road. I really think he believes Wedge or Kinkaid will pan out.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Love ya Sykie. http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f..._players_tour/

He would have loved to re-sign with them this summer and they showed some interest, but never made a contract offer.

“My interest to be with the Devils was throughout the whole summer,” Sykora said. “I guess it didn’t happen. I’ll just wait it out and see what’s going to happen whenever we start playing. But I still want to play for the Devils.”

Old
09-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
Devils Facebook page wants us to caption this...

I think we all know what the right one is.
He provided it himself. Trying to put anything else there will just piss him off, and we all know we wouldn't like Stevens when he's angry.

Quote:
Do people actually believe Brodeur was the reason we went to the finals? If our 4th line played like our normal 4th line we are out in the first round. We made the finals because of our 4th line.
We made the Final because almost all of our forwards performed to expectations, and some quite a bit higher than expectations. We made the Final because our ramshackle defence held up and we found unexpected offence from the back end. We made the Final because of clutch goaltending in key situations from Marty, even if the full body of work was rather below his usual standard.

All of these things were integral to the run, without any one of them we don't make it. Pointing at one and saying it's most responsible is not being fair to the contributions of the others.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
He provided it himself. Trying to put anything else there will just piss him off, and we all know we wouldn't like Stevens when he's angry.

We made the Final because almost all of our forwards performed to expectations, and some quite a bit higher than expectations. We made the Final because our ramshackle defence held up and we found unexpected offence from the back end. We made the Final because of clutch goaltending in key situations from Marty, even if the full body of work was rather below his usual standard.

All of these things were integral to the run, without any one of them we don't make it. Pointing at one and saying it's most responsible is not being fair to the contributions of the others.
Sure it is, I can say we were extremely lucky to make the finals since our sh% was off the charts but then again so was LA's.

Old
09-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post

He would have loved to re-sign with them this summer and they showed some interest, but never made a contract offer.

“My interest to be with the Devils was throughout the whole summer,” Sykora said. “I guess it didn’t happen. I’ll just wait it out and see what’s going to happen whenever we start playing. But I still want to play for the Devils.”
I still don't understand why they didn't even make an offer. With Parise gone, and also losing Poni we need all the firepower we can get. The whole time I was thinking he wanted a multi year or maybe there was another plan. Maybe there is still that other plan to see if we can find someone better.

I can't believe we re signed POS worthless Janssen, and not Sykie!

Old
09-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Quote:
I still don't understand why they didn't even make an offer. With Parise gone, and also losing Poni we need all the firepower we can get. The whole time I was thinking he wanted a multi year or maybe there was another plan. Maybe there is still that other plan to see if we can find someone better.

Apples to Oranges signing though.

I think Sykie will be back but it's just that he's Lou's plan C or D. It doesn't seem to offend him though.

I think Butler is probably going to make the team regardless... if Tedenby doesn't Sykie will be back.

Old
09-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Apples to Oranges signing though.

I think Sykie will be back but it's just that he's Lou's plan C or D. It doesn't seem to offend him though.

I think Butler is probably going to make the team regardless... if Tedenby doesn't Sykie will be back.
I know, but for what Janssen makes I can't expect Sykie to cost much more. We can throw Cam to the minors cause his AHL salary is only $105k grand. We save $470k grand on not having to put him in the NHL, and use that towards Sykie. We really are gonna need to purge a D man before the season starts anyway or we'll have 13 forwards, and 8 D men including Harrold rather than 14 forwards.

Tedenby, and Butler both won't even be able to be on the team until that happens unless Janssen goes to the AHL. He's only other player with a two way.

Old
09-25-2012, 07:49 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
I know, but for what Janssen makes I can't expect Sykie to cost much more. We can throw Cam to the minors cause his AHL salary is only $105k grand. We save $470k grand on not having to put him in the NHL, and use that towards Sykie. We really are gonna need to purge a D man before the season starts anyway or we'll have 13 forwards, and 8 D men including Harrold rather than 14 forwards.

Tedenby, and Butler both won't even be able to be on the team until that happens unless Janssen goes to the AHL. He's only other player with a two way.
Harrold could always play forward too.

Old
09-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Harrold could always play forward too.
This has been said, but I don't know why we need to keep all the D men anyway. Especially if the cap goes down, and we wanna re sign all our guys. I'd rather see Harrold at forward than Janssen though. Maybe if we wait patiently maybe we'll see something big happen later in the season once it starts. Brian Gionta not being offered another contract opened up a spot for Bergfors who was used in the Kovy trade.

Old
09-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
This has been said, but I don't know why we need to keep all the D men anyway. Especially if the cap goes down, and we wanna re sign all our guys. I'd rather see Harrold at forward than Janssen though. Maybe if we wait patiently maybe we'll see something big happen later in the season once it starts. Brian Gionta not being offered another contract opened up a spot for Bergfors who was used in the Kovy trade.

That's probably a majority of the reason he's been resigned. Harrolds flexibility is invaluable and he can be an extra forward and defender if need be.

Old
09-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
That's probably a majority of the reason he's been resigned. Harrolds flexibility is invaluable and he can be an extra forward and defender if need be.
He's a competent utility player, I'd say that's well worth his contract.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 09:40 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

I like Harrold. No complaints with him. I kinda want Tallinder gone. He's contracted 2 more years, and it would give us flexibility with the cap if it goes down to re sign our forward UFA's who are more important than Tallinder. Wouldn't complain if Volchenkov was gone either. I don't dislike him, but I wish his contract was a million cheaper.

Old
09-25-2012, 11:42 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:

maybe lou knew the lockout would indeed happen and didnt wanna pay him for doing nothing. then again...barch.....so yea i dunno haha.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 12:01 AM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by åboriginal View Post
maybe lou knew the lockout would indeed happen and didnt wanna pay him for doing nothing. then again...barch.....so yea i dunno haha.
They don't get paid during the lockout though. In 94/95 I think they got paid the percentage of their pay that equaled the percentage of games played.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:54 AM
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus

I want my bus driver and his happy face back

NJDevilsZG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 01:11 AM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevilsZG View Post
I want my bus driver and his happy face back
I do too, and I thought for certain he would be back if Parise was gone.

“There were some things going on, but I really wanted to be with the Devils again,” he said. “I kind of feel like I belong here. They treat me right here and it’s my home, so I was really pushing towards being with the Devils.”

I mean come on that right there says it all. We spent all those days waiting on a player who knew he wasn't coming back for maybe months before that and this guy actually wants to play for us. Who's spot would he be taking that we can't give him one? Janssen who can be sent to the minors anytime and be paid AHL salary? An extra defenseman that we don't need?

Old
09-26-2012, 08:28 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
At least a lockout moves us closer to a new starter.
i was going to respond to you, but then i read this. yes, thankfully the lockout will keep marty off the ice for a year. what a terribly disrespectful thing to say to the man who dedicated his entire HOF career to the team we love so much. stay classy, Abacus.

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
I said this recently, but Brodeur's save percentage between 98-99. and 01/02 was was between a 906, and 910 for all those 4 seasons with 3 of those seasons at a 906 which is lower than his 908 this year. Only difference was he played 70+ games those years. In 00/01 he had 9 shutouts that year, but a 906 save percentage. If he had gotten 3 shutouts that year like he did this year his save percentage would have probably been below 900.

He had an 897 save percentage in the 01 playoffs when he lost in the SCF as opposed to his 917 this year. He also had more 4 shutouts that playoff year. He was very bad in the 01 SCF. Not even just statistics wise, but the quality of goals he gave up. Point shots that were unscreened many times. I don't think he was the difference though as we were shutout twice in this series by Roy. He along with the entire team were coming off two straight years to the SCF. That takes a lot out of you.
Brodeur has had to straight years where he's ranked like 30th among NHL goalies with 20+ starts in save percentage. He's never had a streak like this in his career.

League save percentages were also lower in the late 90s, so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:31 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:

This quote is killing me

Quote:
Although some other NHL teams expressed interest over the summer, Sykora’s first choice remained to return to New Jersey.

“There were some things going on, but I really wanted to be with the Devils again,” he said. “I kind of feel like I belong here. They treat me right here and it’s my home, so I was really pushing towards being with the Devils.”
Aw, bring the man back, Lou
Well.. when you can.

Also this -
"Bernier became a first-time father this summer when his wife gave birth to a son they named Henri-Louis, who was born Aug. 2 – the same day as linemate Ryan Carter’s wife gave birth to their first child, a daughter they named Meg."

That's crazy, adorable and hilarious all at the same time.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote