HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part XI

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-25-2012, 06:04 PM
  #176
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch
 
Socratic Method Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,663
vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
damn, beated.
I still kinda think he should be within 60 spots of Kirill Kabanov and within 30 spots of Joe Colborne. At any rate, I'm almost completely indifferent to pretty much any website's prospect ranking. They're notoriously poor predicters of success. (eg. 2 years ago Hockey Prospectus' top 100 rankings had Nikita Filatov as the #1 prospect).

And the real point here: way to go Jensen, Rock on!

Edit: How did I quote the wrong comment... I could've sworn I quoted the other one.

Socratic Method Man is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 06:16 PM
  #177
Nuck This
Registered User
 
Nuck This's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,022
vCash: 500
He could have had a hat trick. Did you see that crossbar shot? What a release. He could have had three top corner goals.

Nuck This is online now  
Old
09-25-2012, 06:18 PM
  #178
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 17,789
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
I still kinda think he should be within 60 spots of Kirill Kabanov and within 30 spots of Joe Colborne. At any rate, I'm almost completely indifferent to pretty much any website's prospect ranking. They're notoriously poor predicters of success. (eg. 2 years ago Hockey Prospectus' top 100 rankings had Nikita Filatov as the #1 prospect).

And the real point here: way to go Jensen, Rock on!

Edit: How did I quote the wrong comment... I could've sworn I quoted the other one.
Yeah a couple of those are just WTF. If you are all skill focus then I can see Kabanov but not Colborne. If you are more about overall hockey and size Colborne but not Kabanov. But both? What kind of list is this. When Kabanov is better ranked than Kreider............


Last edited by me2: 09-25-2012 at 06:28 PM.
me2 is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 06:19 PM
  #179
Wisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
I still kinda think he should be within 60 spots of Kirill Kabanov and within 30 spots of Joe Colborne. At any rate, I'm almost completely indifferent to pretty much any website's prospect ranking. They're notoriously poor predicters of success. (eg. 2 years ago Hockey Prospectus' top 100 rankings had Nikita Filatov as the #1 prospect).

And the real point here: way to go Jensen, Rock on!

Edit: How did I quote the wrong comment... I could've sworn I quoted the other one.
I don't have much use for individual rankings, but I think they're a good gauge for evaluating what tier of quality they are. Seeing him on the list is promising, is all.

Partly because some of their best Canucks prospects were found under rocks (and thus don't have 1st round hype) and partly because they patiently let them develop, I expect most of our guys to challenge those conventional assessments anyways.

Wisp is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 07:57 PM
  #180
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,119
vCash: 5555
Wow Jensen in 2nd place for goals, and Tommernes with the 2nd most points of any defensemen. Lets see if they can keep it up!

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
09-25-2012, 08:03 PM
  #181
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,760
vCash: 500
Man, just loving this Corrado pick.

Jesus, those shots by Jensen. Can't wait to have another sniper on the team.

Just feels like we are on the cusp of Gillis' drafting/JR. Free agent signings paying off. Jensen, Schroeder, Corrado, Lack, Tanev, etc.

timw33 is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 08:19 PM
  #182
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,513
vCash: 500
Just watched those highlights. Holy freaking cow, Jensen has a laser. Hope to see that on the big club some time soon!

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 08:22 PM
  #183
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,267
vCash: 500
Impressive. If he keeps up this pace, I'm very curious if he will in fact make the Canucks this season.

Luck 6 is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 09:03 PM
  #184
Jevo
Registered User
 
Jevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Denmark
Posts: 2,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Impressive. If he keeps up this pace, I'm very curious if he will in fact make the Canucks this season.
If he can score 44 in 55 on a bad team in Sweden. I can't see anyway scenario where he doesn't make the team. The SEL is probably the 3rd best league in the world, and normally low scoring. 0.8 PPG would place Jensen in top 15 in the SEL last year. In the NHL he would need almost 1 PPG to be in top 15, the same for the AHL.
If we give a rough estimation that .8 PPG in SEL is equal to PPG in AHL. I don't think there would be any doubt that Jensen would start the season on the Canucks if he played PPG in the AHL.
But lets not get ahead of our selves and see how he does on a bigger sample size.

Jevo is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 09:31 PM
  #185
windflare
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,244
vCash: 500
http://hockeyligan.se/trupp/AIK/4937

Keep that link. Jensen's goal highlights will all be on there.

windflare is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 09:52 PM
  #186
WonderTwinsUnite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Delta, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,533
vCash: 500
Fun fact: after 5 games, Jensen is the only player on his team in the top 55 in SEL scoring (He's #11).

WonderTwinsUnite is online now  
Old
09-25-2012, 11:29 PM
  #187
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
http://hockeyligan.se/trupp/AIK/4937

Keep that link. Jensen's goal highlights will all be on there.
We should keep links in the OP for where to find highlights on all our guys.

timw33 is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 12:46 AM
  #188
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,281
vCash: 500
Good on Jensen, Grenier and Tommernes. Keep it going.


Aside from that, I've been steadily noticing Kassian get underrated around these parts. Other fanbases view him as clearly inferior to Hodgson... Without weighting his also high draft status, better pro numbers at the same age, and obvious physical advantages properly.


Ill admit that I wasn't high on him after the trade. There's a lot of work that needs to happen. But you don't have to be Conte to recognize his upside. It dwarfs Hodgson's own - In fact, some referred to this as the balancing factor to the deal. Younger, more upside, not as polished... Yet. I can't believe how others aren't seeing this?



People really just believe what they want to believe...

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 02:03 AM
  #189
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Impressive. If he keeps up this pace, I'm very curious if he will in fact make the Canucks this season.
I don't think we could have asked for a better start and i'm happy with the ice time he was getting, as that was one of my main concerns with going to the SEL. I highlight this part because that is the knock against him, maintaining his level of play throughout the season. If he can continue at the pace he is going, thats a beast of a season. I hope he can because that RW next to Kesler is wide freaking open, IMO. Exception being if Kassian takes that spot. Now thoughts of a Jensen - Kesler - Kassian line has me excited before bed...

Loving the updates. Feels good to have some kind of hockey nowadays.

thefeebster is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 02:27 AM
  #190
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,032
vCash: 250
Certainly a promising start to our prospects overseas. Just makes me all the more excited for the Wolves' season to start too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Partly because some of their best Canucks prospects were found under rocks (and thus don't have 1st round hype) and partly because they patiently let them develop, I expect most of our guys to challenge those conventional assessments anyways.
Yep, pretty much this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Really good goals by Jensen. They really couldn't have been placed better, especially the first one. Those shots would have been goals in the NHL as well. They were so well placed. Just goes to show what we already know, Jensens shot is already NHL level. And 4 points in 5 games, for a low scoring team in a low scoring league. Very well done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
If he can score 44 in 55 on a bad team in Sweden. I can't see anyway scenario where he doesn't make the team. The SEL is probably the 3rd best league in the world, and normally low scoring. 0.8 PPG would place Jensen in top 15 in the SEL last year. In the NHL he would need almost 1 PPG to be in top 15, the same for the AHL.
If we give a rough estimation that .8 PPG in SEL is equal to PPG in AHL. I don't think there would be any doubt that Jensen would start the season on the Canucks if he played PPG in the AHL.
But lets not get ahead of our selves and see how he does on a bigger sample size.
Agreed, those goals were great shots. Top corner, glove side both times to boot. What sort of production can we expect for a 19 year-old in his rookie season, realistically?

vanuck is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 08:43 AM
  #191
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
If he can score 44 in 55 on a bad team in Sweden. I can't see anyway scenario where he doesn't make the team. The SEL is probably the 3rd best league in the world, and normally low scoring. 0.8 PPG would place Jensen in top 15 in the SEL last year. In the NHL he would need almost 1 PPG to be in top 15, the same for the AHL.
If we give a rough estimation that .8 PPG in SEL is equal to PPG in AHL. I don't think there would be any doubt that Jensen would start the season on the Canucks if he played PPG in the AHL.
But lets not get ahead of our selves and see how he does on a bigger sample size.
Good information, I appreciate that. I do agree though a larger sample size is necessary to accurately portray his pace. Still though, in these locked out, boring times on HF boards it's certainly a nice story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Good on Jensen, Grenier and Tommernes. Keep it going.


Aside from that, I've been steadily noticing Kassian get underrated around these parts. Other fanbases view him as clearly inferior to Hodgson... Without weighting his also high draft status, better pro numbers at the same age, and obvious physical advantages properly.


Ill admit that I wasn't high on him after the trade. There's a lot of work that needs to happen. But you don't have to be Conte to recognize his upside. It dwarfs Hodgson's own - In fact, some referred to this as the balancing factor to the deal. Younger, more upside, not as polished... Yet. I can't believe how others aren't seeing this?



People really just believe what they want to believe...
Keep in mind, Kassian is in a transition period between the AHL and NHL right now. In HF land, it's very common for players to "lose value" during such a transition. Look at Hodgson after the 10-11 playoff run, even many Canuck fans were extremely down on him. Since Kassian, like Hodgson, didn't step into the NHL and make an immidiate impact there will be many out there that critisize him for it. Realistically, I'm quite thrilled he managed to put up close to PPG AHL numbers and get his feet wet in the NHL all in his first pro season. Most would agree, half of the people critisizing him don't even consider that before doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I don't think we could have asked for a better start and i'm happy with the ice time he was getting, as that was one of my main concerns with going to the SEL. I highlight this part because that is the knock against him, maintaining his level of play throughout the season. If he can continue at the pace he is going, thats a beast of a season. I hope he can because that RW next to Kesler is wide freaking open, IMO. Exception being if Kassian takes that spot. Now thoughts of a Jensen - Kesler - Kassian line has me excited before bed...

Loving the updates. Feels good to have some kind of hockey nowadays.
Here's a question, do you think a Booth-Kesler-Jensen line would be effective? You essentially have 3 shooters there who all like to have the puck on their stick. The AMex line seemed to work despite that, it was more crash and bang style. I suppose this line could have a similar effect.

Luck 6 is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 11:40 AM
  #192
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Here's a question, do you think a Booth-Kesler-Jensen line would be effective? You essentially have 3 shooters there who all like to have the puck on their stick. The AMex line seemed to work despite that, it was more crash and bang style. I suppose this line could have a similar effect.
Isn't Kassian more of a pass-first guy?

Taelin is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 01:06 PM
  #193
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Here's a question, do you think a Booth-Kesler-Jensen line would be effective? You essentially have 3 shooters there who all like to have the puck on their stick. The AMex line seemed to work despite that, it was more crash and bang style. I suppose this line could have a similar effect.
Although everything I've seen of Jensen in the ohl and Ahl has shown him to be a shoot first kind of guy, his preseason last year showed he could dish the puck well too. But ultimately, I think it depends on the Kesler that shows up. If he can dish the puck a bit more than he has (and we know he can do it fairly well), I think it would work really well offensively. Defensively, I'm not sure. I'd personally shelter Jensen a fair bit in his first season.

And I know it's a bit of a folly to take Kesler off the 1st PP unit with the success they have had and the inexperience of Jensen, I agree with the poster suggesting Jensen be tried with the Sedins at least at one point. The PP struggled late last season and needs some rejuvenation. Jensen could bring that. The kid can just flat out score on the PP, can play in front of the net and be that big net presence, score in close with tips and garbage rebound goals on top of his already pro wrister. Would also free up Kesler to legitimize that 2nd unit that desperately needs him. Anyways, just my thoughts but for all we know, Kassian might just step in, fit with Kesler, and take that spot.

thefeebster is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 03:15 PM
  #194
701
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver & OK Falls
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,836
vCash: 500
Blomstrand?

If anyone can help, I'd like more information about Ludwig Blomstrand's current situation and progress. He is said to be a big, powerful, fast-skating, feisty guy who forechecks really well and is good with the rough stuff. He scored some goals in the pre-season, then got demoted, as I recall. Since then I've heard nothing at all about him.

A tantalizing prospect for a team which is clearly building a bigger, tougher group for the near future. Ongoing news, especially from our European members, would be very much appreciated.

701 is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 03:18 PM
  #195
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,119
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Isn't Kassian more of a pass-first guy?
I thought so too. He'd be a perfect fit on the 2nd line, provided he put the pieces he has together.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
09-26-2012, 03:23 PM
  #196
Pseudonymous
Registered User
 
Pseudonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Isn't Kassian more of a pass-first guy?
He is now, but this could simply be because he lacks the confidence and hasn't really built his shot into what it will be eventually.

He'll always be a good passer though, you can tell already.

Pseudonymous is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 04:33 PM
  #197
Askel
Registered User
 
Askel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Malmö/Vancouver
Posts: 1,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Certainly a promising start to our prospects overseas. Just makes me all the more excited for the Wolves' season to start too.



Yep, pretty much this.




Agreed, those goals were great shots. Top corner, glove side both times to boot. What sort of production can we expect for a 19 year-old in his rookie season, realistically?
If he scores 15 goals/30 points in that league on that team, its a success.

Elitserien is very defensive and AIK will probably be a bottomfeder this year.

Askel is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 04:52 PM
  #198
ItsAllPartOfThePlan
Registered User
 
ItsAllPartOfThePlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,086
vCash: 500
Is Jensen eligible for the WJs?

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 05:06 PM
  #199
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country:
Posts: 8,012
vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Is Jensen eligible for the WJs?
Yes, but Denmark was relegated to Division 1.

Tim Calhoun is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 05:16 PM
  #200
Jevo
Registered User
 
Jevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Denmark
Posts: 2,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
Blomstrand?

If anyone can help, I'd like more information about Ludwig Blomstrand's current situation and progress. He is said to be a big, powerful, fast-skating, feisty guy who forechecks really well and is good with the rough stuff. He scored some goals in the pre-season, then got demoted, as I recall. Since then I've heard nothing at all about him.

A tantalizing prospect for a team which is clearly building a bigger, tougher group for the near future. Ongoing news, especially from our European members, would be very much appreciated.
I haven't heard anything about him. But he seems to have been promoted to the 1st team again after one game in junior. But he hasn't recorded any points yet.

Jevo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.