HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltending dilemma

Old
05-07-2006, 10:05 PM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
Goaltending dilemma

Iím surprised that more hasnít been made of this. We are in a very precarious position. There are varying reports of how long Vokoun is out (Iím sure itís not a definable thing at this point). Iíve seen some reports saying as many as 9 months! On top of that, who knows what kind of game shape Vokoun will be in when he gets back?

Time to face realityÖ we could be without Vokoun for a good chunk of next year.

How do we address this? Poile and Co. have basically given Mason the green light to go searching for another team. Rinne likely isnít ready. Iím not feeling too good about this situation.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

There will be so many starting caliber goalies this offseason, that I am not especially worried that we will find somone to start the season off/fill a backup role.

Giguere, Aebischer, Huet (UFA), Nabokov, Gerber, Raycroft, one of Esche of Nittymaki, Biron, Noranen, Cloutier.......all of these guys will be available either for trade or as an UFA. Most of those guys were starters.....I didn't even venture into the realm of prospects/backups...(as in Dunham's, etc.)

05-07-2006, 10:38 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
There will be so many starting caliber goalies this offseason, that I am not especially worried that we will find somone to start the season off/fill a backup role.

Giguere, Aebischer, Huet (UFA), Nabokov, Gerber, Raycroft, one of Esche of Nittymaki, Biron, Noranen, Cloutier.......all of these guys will be available either for trade or as an UFA. Most of those guys were starters.....I didn't even venture into the realm of prospects/backups...(as in Dunham's, etc.)
I think there's no way Poile signs a guy for over a million, which will eliminate most of those guys. He's certainly not going to trade for the likes of Nabakov (3.5m), Cloutier (2.5m), Giguere (4m).

Also, potential #1 goalies aren't going to want to sign here, knowing that they are just insurance. Most of those guys are going to get multi-year deals as well.

I have a feeling that this is headed down the Dunham-type road (purely backup caliber). I feel that Mason should be the #1 target, but Poile/Leipold seem to be encouraging Mason to seek a better opportunity.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 11:50 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
I think there's no way Poile signs a guy for over a million, which will eliminate most of those guys. He's certainly not going to trade for the likes of Nabakov (3.5m), Cloutier (2.5m), Giguere (4m).

Also, potential #1 goalies aren't going to want to sign here, knowing that they are just insurance. Most of those guys are going to get multi-year deals as well.

I have a feeling that this is headed down the Dunham-type road (purely backup caliber). I feel that Mason should be the #1 target, but Poile/Leipold seem to be encouraging Mason to seek a better opportunity.
I understand where you are coming from. My point was simply, if Vokoun can't play next year or he has to stay on blood thinners, etc (insert some other dire consequence), there are several goalies that will be available.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 12:17 AM
nuckfan insk

as much as i'd like to see you guys take cloutier from us .............
what about finally giving wade flarhaty a shot ? he played on the manitoba moose this year and was very good. he spent a while in the preds organixation also i believe.
could he fill the hole ?

nuckfan insk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Eh, no better than Mason would. I think what we are gonna be looking for is a slight upgrade over Mason's abilities, but far less than that of Vokoun or other current #1's. If we went the other route, I'd say let Rinne and Finley split pre-season duties and see if either stands out. If not, then go with whats left on FA market. Obviously, this is our conundrum. Lets just hope everything goes as planned with Koun. Heres to a speedy recovery

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 12:43 AM
Stars-Preds

This is an interesting problem to have. I would love to see Mason come back on at least a one-year deal and fill the role next season. Then if he performs well maybe he has more value next off-season.

But, Mason could probably get a full-time starter gig somewhere else so we'll see.

Stars-Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 12:46 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Vokoun expected back in September

According to Poile in this article, we are expecting September. Of course, they don't know a lot still and this is probably to keep people from worrying, but lets hope its the truth.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 02:56 AM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

I'd say your best shot is Cloutier. He could come relatively cheap and he CAN hold is own during the regular season for a short period of time.

This is all depending upon how long Vokoun is out of course...

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 03:51 AM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpetri2000
I'd say your best shot is Cloutier. He could come relatively cheap and he CAN hold is own during the regular season for a short period of time.

This is all depending upon how long Vokoun is out of course...
Cloutier gets a really bad rap for his playoffs, but he has been a great goalie for us in the regular season.

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 07:36 AM
predperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher
Vokoun expected back in September

According to Poile in this article, we are expecting September. Of course, they don't know a lot still and this is probably to keep people from worrying, but lets hope its the truth.
I think it's still troubling that they have not found the root cause of his condition.....(or maybe they have and it just has not been released).....if they don't know the root cause it is a crap shoot as to if this "condition" will reoccur.

Bottom line....I think the Predators absolutely have to come up with a solid back-up plan.

predperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 10:18 AM
handtrick

there is nobody that wants to see Mase come back on a number of different levels....if I was Poile I would go after Manny Legace as a 1a...he could function as a solid backup or take over as a #1 if needed....and could be had for around $1.0 mill [he makes $1.1 now] as he is a UFA this year and has fallen on some hard times in Det w/o taking them farther in the playoffs.....plus he is a good character guuy.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 01:47 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
there is nobody that wants to see Mase come back on a number of different levels....if I was Poile I would go after Manny Legace as a 1a...he could function as a solid backup or take over as a #1 if needed....and could be had for around $1.0 mill [he makes $1.1 now] as he is a UFA this year and has fallen on some hard times in Det w/o taking them farther in the playoffs.....plus he is a good character guuy.
I think he is going to command much closer to $2 million than $1 mil. I think there is going to be a GM in this league that will look at his regular season numbers and drool and then explain away his lack of post-season success by saying, "He wasn't that bad. It was his team that sucked around him. Sure, he could have been better. But he shouldn't have to win every game by himself in the postseason for a President's trophy team to succeed."

And, to an extent, I'll buy that the Wings are a pretty mediocre postseason team at times. They'll have years where they run to the Cup. But they have a lot of years where if they don't have it, they really don't have it, especially recently. And Legace takes a lot of the flak for it. But I watch how strong the Ducks defense has played over the past 3 games and I could easily see Legace making every save that Bryz made, so I think it's all relative. One guy is the toast of the NHL (Bryz) and the other (Legace) has fallen on hard times. An NHL team or two is going to take this viewpoint and toss a few million his way to entice him to come play for them. A team like Atlanta would seem to be a great fit if they can afford to spend a few million. He could split time with Lehtonen, and it's not as if success in the playoffs (or lack thereof) will make or break him there. They'd be ecstatic just to make the playoffs. That way Waddell can strength his waning grip on employment. There's going to be some desparate GM's in this league this summer.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote