HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Video Game Thread Part II: You Bent my Wookie

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Zippy316

vCash: 500
I can't stand the Be A Pro Goalie.

No matter how hard I try, I give up at least 3 goals a game.

Anyways, I was playing Be A Pro Goalie and the defensemen on the other team winds up to take a slapshot, and it hits my forward who goes to block the shot. For some odd reason, the puck doesn't deflect at all, it just stays stagnant in the air where the contact with my player blocking the shot should've been. So the puck is floating near the blue line and the goalie (me) is going through the reflexes like the puck was on it's actual trajectory. Then for some strange, odd reason, the puck all the sudden starts up again from the stagnant, floating position and goes right where my goalie had already flexed out to make the save. I was so pissed, because at that time, it was a 2-2 game.

It was the weirdest **** I have ever seen, should've got it on video.

Old
09-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post

Anyways, I was playing Be A Pro Goalie and the defensemen on the other team winds up to take a slapshot, and it hits my forward who goes to block the shot. For some odd reason, the puck doesn't deflect at all, it just stays stagnant in the air where the contact with my player blocking the shot should've been. So the puck is floating near the blue line and the goalie (me) is going through the reflexes like the puck was on it's actual trajectory. Then for some strange, odd reason, the puck all the sudden starts up again from the stagnant, floating position and goes right where my goalie had already flexed out to make the save. I was so pissed, because at that time, it was a 2-2 game.

Sounds like a classic knuckle puck. Its hard to be accurate but it drives goalies crazy.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:22 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

My thumb is all FIFA'd out. I hadn't bought a FIFA game in a while - I didn't really like the franchise from 10-11, but 12 won me over so I decided to buy 13.

Ultimate Team is fun, but I made the mistake of investing in a squad that doesn't have huge upside. 4-1-2-1-2 with my GK, CDM, RM, and CAM all Russians rated ~80... But now it's hard to find good players in other positions who are Russian, and affordable. I have Milan Baros and some American striker up front, a Swiss LM, and then a French/Greek/Turkish/English LB/CB/CB/RB combo.

Eventually I'd like to go with an all-Spanish lineup but that's waaaay down the road.

Old
09-26-2012, 07:30 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
My thumb is all FIFA'd out.
Fifa is a lucky lady

Old
09-26-2012, 08:20 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrique View Post
the thing is, this game really isn't that realistic. it's just bugged and choppy. the hits - not realistic, the poke checking - not realistic, the goalies - extremely unrealistic.

the game needs some serious updates, and they cannot come soon enough. been saying it since day 1, this game is not very good.
Don't really care if it looks a bit choppy and the hitting looks unrealistic. That's aesthetics. I care about how the game plays overall, and the flow of NHL 13 is the most realistic we've seen in a hockey game to date.

And how is pokechecking unrealistic?

Old
09-26-2012, 09:34 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/...id/291?cc=5901

Cool article about FIFA's role in the growth of the sport in 'Murica.

Old
09-26-2012, 10:04 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post

That happens to me all the time in regular modes! The puck just freeze's in mid air but every thing else keeps moving.

Old
09-26-2012, 11:13 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Don't really care if it looks a bit choppy and the hitting looks unrealistic. That's aesthetics. I care about how the game plays overall, and the flow of NHL 13 is the most realistic we've seen in a hockey game to date.

And how is pokechecking unrealistic?
Every single pokecheck works. I can just spam that button and play good defense

Old
09-26-2012, 11:16 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Any way, I opened up my FIFA ultimate pack yesterday. Out of all of the kits in this game I have to start with the Union's kit

Old
09-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
Every single pokecheck works. I can just spam that button and play good defense
Do you play on superstar? Where do you have CPU difficulty?

I think it's a good balance. I can understand if you play online, and where the majority of players still try to play the game by moving through defenders like they could in NHL 12, that it would seem overly effective.

But against the CPU on Superstar I find it to be pretty good. I also have puck control on the lowest setting.

Old
09-26-2012, 11:21 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Do you play on superstar? Where do you have CPU difficulty?

I think it's a good balance. I can understand if you play online, and where the majority of players still try to play the game by moving through defenders like they could in NHL 12, that it would seem overly effective.

But against the CPU on Superstar I find it to be pretty good. I also have puck control on the lowest setting.
I play online, EASHL and HUT. Both game modes it's extremely overpowered

Old
09-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
I play online, EASHL and HUT. Both game modes it's extremely overpowered
How much do you perceive that to be a mechanism of how people play? In real life, you can't just move in and out of defenders and expect to maintain control of the puck.

Against the CPU I've always played a very pass-heavy, puck possession game that de-emphasizes rushing the puck up and down, so maybe I don't notice it as much.

Old
09-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Richer's Ghost
awww summertime

vCash: 425
It's insanely too effective in EASHL online. Just put your D at 6'6" and up your poke check to 80 and dare them to come near you in the slot. You don't even have to be facing them.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
09-26-2012, 11:25 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
How much do you perceive that to be a mechanism of how people play? In real life, you can't just move in and out of defenders and expect to maintain control of the puck.

Against the CPU I've always played a very pass-heavy, puck possession game that de-emphasizes rushing the puck up and down, so maybe I don't notice it as much.
No, it's overpowered. I can spam the button and any pass within 6 feet of me is automatically knocked down which leads to why the passing in this game is the worst it's ever been.

Old
09-26-2012, 11:42 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

again..if the poke checking is going to be SO ridiculous, they need to improve puck handling/control. i've got 5 colin whites out there.

Old
09-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Hmm, well good thing I don't play online.

Old
09-26-2012, 11:50 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
No, it's overpowered. I can spam the button and any pass within 6 feet of me is automatically knocked down which leads to why the passing in this game is the worst it's ever been.
Saucer passes. Saucer passes. Saucer passes. They get through lanes almost all the time unless they're blocked by a body part.

You have to realize that with the improved skating engine, forwards got a huge boost due to the forwards vs. backwards speed/momentum differential. The reason the poke check seems so strong is because people try to beat defenders 1 on 1 or try tic-tac-toe passes on 2 on 2s rather than making smart plays like slowing up (either with an actual stop, or just by going into a glide to create space and forcing the defender to adjust) or sending the puck to the corner for an easy puck race win. The more you get the defenseman moving laterally, the less effective the poke check is - both in terms of actual poke checks off the stick, and deflecting passes.

The reality is that most players online look like Parise trying to deke a player 1 on 1, rather than Datsyuk. They either try to do quick back and forth stickhandling that's easy to angle off, or they do a poorly set up loose puck deke. They don't use open ice to make defensemen move side to side, and they don't exploit the space behind the defense. They almost NEVER take their finger off the left stick. Puck control is 5x better if you're gliding rather than skating. Even if you do get poked, you're more likely to retain the puck.

Aaaaaand I'll just leave this here. My best assist from my club team.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/135998531

Old
09-26-2012, 12:02 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

very true that slowing up helps immensely on the rush

Old
09-26-2012, 01:24 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

I play online. And I poke a lot. It works.

You mad? Don't let me poke you bro.

Old
09-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
again..if the poke checking is going to be SO ridiculous, they need to improve puck handling/control. i've got 5 colin whites out there.
And you'd much rather have 6 Salvadors, right?

Old
09-26-2012, 01:57 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
I play online. And I poke a lot. It works.

You mad? Don't let me poke you bro.
In Ultimate if the guy is poke happy I just skate to the blueline with Elias and unload a slapshot. Works twice a game without fail.

Old
09-26-2012, 02:14 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
And you'd much rather have 6 Salvadors, right?
hell yeah! i compared cosri numbers for colin white and bryce salvador, and compared them to martyís save percentage from December 13, 1999 through April 9th 2006. at that point, I multiplied by the Guamís 2008 GDP, divided by 0, and then added exponents of the number of children ryan carter illegitimately fathered to come up with this::

then, by plotting colin whites average skating time (3 lap minimum, 1 eye maximum) onto graphing paper, I learned nothing. finally, I had to create an algorithm that factored in peter deboerís tie in relation to Stanley nickels. oh, and donít even get me started on euclidean geometry! without that my undecacon would still be inversely proportional to my hypotenuse! GLAVIN

Old
09-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

Old
09-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
No way, that analysis is all invalidated because you forgot to factor in the infant mortality rate in Uganda. The units just don't work otherwise.

Old
09-26-2012, 08:06 PM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

Tokyo Jungle is as fun as I expected it to be.

Closed Thread