HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Why are player names in Latin letters?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-25-2012, 07:48 PM
  #26
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
don't be silly, watch the olympics and tell me what alphabet is used

it wouldn't make sense to use cyrillic if the league wants to keep expanding westward, and it would make even less sense to have 2 systems or 2 sets of jerseys. use your noggin.



It's universal to North America, South America, and Europe. Face facts, cyrillic is vastly outnumbered here if the point is accessibility. Can the alphabet pride.
What do Olympics have to do with the KHL??? We are discussing the KHL here.

It makes perfect sense to me. I don't care about the league's plans. I for my part don't want the league to expand further. It's good as it is.

And I don't care about numbers. I don't care how many people in South America use latin letters. I want my home town team to have a home jersey, not a jersey for some international tournament or Olympics. If I visit a country I try to learn at least the simplest words of it's language. It's a respect thing. Who cares about how many ppl speak that language or use this alphabet?

It's not about 'pride'. It's how things should be done if you put some effort into it and not go the easy way because of 'accessibility' and numbers.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 11:14 PM
  #27
yunost
Registered User
 
yunost's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
What do Olympics have to do with the KHL??? We are discussing the KHL here.

It makes perfect sense to me. I don't care about the league's plans. I for my part don't want the league to expand further. It's good as it is.

And I don't care about numbers. I don't care how many people in South America use latin letters. I want my home town team to have a home jersey, not a jersey for some international tournament or Olympics. If I visit a country I try to learn at least the simplest words of it's language. It's a respect thing. Who cares about how many ppl speak that language or use this alphabet?

It's not about 'pride'. It's how things should be done if you put some effort into it and not go the easy way because of 'accessibility' and numbers.
I completely understand and agree with you. However I am still in favour of the Latin letters. You make complete sense about the hometeam and wanting to see it in Cryllic, but the fact of the matter is that these teams are not only there for the home town. And the KHL is not only looking to market itself to the hometowns of the teams.

Teams to the likes of Atlant MO have explicitly stated interest in being the ManU of hockey. What do you think Donbass is doing? Trying to satisfy the Donetsk hockey demand? To a certain extent yes, but they are also trying to create a world renound franchise that reaches far beyond the hometown.

The KHL is not profitable with the hometown attendance and support. Medvedev stated even before the creation of the KHL that their revenue model would rely more on selling TV contracts and things of that nature, and for that reason, Latin is essential.

Also from a practical standpoint, the KHL for example also hopes to eventually expand to the far east. How strange would it be to have a match with a team coming out to play with Japanese or Korean names on the jerseys? Even just the home games, I mean people in st Petersburg are still gonna watch televised matches of SKA vs potentially any asian teams. Or should we be biased and force non-Russian teams to be Latin while only the Russian teams remain Cryllic at home?

For these reasons I believe Latin letters are inevitable in a league such as the KHL.

yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 03:08 AM
  #28
zorz
Registered User
 
zorz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Probably not true (see http://www.foyerlaiquelanester.fr/wp...1396_10_HD.jpg), but even if it is, it's still the federation's fault for not insisting on using the proper spelling.


Well, I know which jerseys I'm not buying.
it is true. they maybe use / for some reason, but you won't see any of those on swedish jerseys or ā on latvian jerseys etc.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 03:25 AM
  #29
Vicente
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cologne
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
What do Olympics have to do with the KHL??? We are discussing the KHL here.
You should think about your own words. KHL is not a Russian-only league anymore like Superleague. It's an international league with participants of 7 different countries. So it is best to use the English spelling of names and Latin letters to have most people understand them.

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 04:55 AM
  #30
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
it is true. they maybe use / for some reason, but you won't see any of those on swedish jerseys or ā on latvian jerseys etc.
http://multimedia.pol.dk/archive/004...s__421177a.jpg

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 05:07 AM
  #31
zorz
Registered User
 
zorz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
maybe you're right, I evidently missed this.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:34 AM
  #32
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky
 
Sokil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 6,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
If I visit a country I try to learn at least the simplest words of it's language. It's a respect thing. Who cares about how many ppl speak that language or use this alphabet?
By this same logic, could Donbass have Ukrainian names for Ukrainian players on their jerseys in the original cyrillic, or should they be converted to Russian?

(linguistic situation in Donetsk notwithstanding, just playing devils advocate)

Олексій Понікаровський vs. Алексей Поникаровский

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 04:22 PM
  #33
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
By this same logic, could Donbass have Ukrainian names for Ukrainian players on their jerseys in the original cyrillic, or should they be converted to Russian?

(linguistic situation in Donetsk notwithstanding, just playing devils advocate)

Олексій Понікаровський vs. Алексей Поникаровский
What's the trouble with that? Why shouldn't a ukrainian team's home jersey have names in ukrainian on them?

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 04:51 PM
  #34
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
You should think about your own words. KHL is not a Russian-only league anymore like Superleague. It's an international league with participants of 7 different countries. So it is best to use the English spelling of names and Latin letters to have most people understand them.
YOU should think about your own words first. English is not a native language for ANY of the KHL teams. Just because latin letters are common for you doesn't mean they are common for me. Maybe in Germany people are ready to give up their own language and culture.

Understandig them? So Klepis is the name? We have enough of that in the NHL where nobody can pronounce a foreign name right. And how could they regarding the spelling of names on the jerseys? But for the NHL English is really a common and native language. So why should we just copy the NHL?

Yes, KHL is an international league and as such it could use the different cultures and languages in style instead of cutting all down to some blunt standard.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 01:46 AM
  #35
Vicente
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cologne
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
YOU should think about your own words first. English is not a native language for ANY of the KHL teams. Just because latin letters are common for you doesn't mean they are common for me. Maybe in Germany people are ready to give up their own language and culture.
English is a lingua franca. Most people will understand it. And far more people in Russia know how to read latin letters than people in the rest of the world know to read cyrillic letters. I don't see how this can affect Russian culture if the KHL wants that people around the world are able to follow the league...

If you are so angry about using Latin letters. Why do Russian football teams use them in international competitions? Why does the Russian ice hockey national team use them? Hey, Chinese and Koreans should also use their own letters in any international competition.... And news about Lev Praha should only be in Czech, news about Dinamo Riga only in Latvian....

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 03:30 AM
  #36
stv11
Global Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,825
vCash: 500
Please stay calm and polite while discussing the issue.

I had to delete a lot of posts containing childish attacks. If it's needed again, infractions will be given.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 03:50 AM
  #37
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
And news about Lev Praha should only be in Czech, news about Dinamo Riga only in Latvian....
No, it should only be in English obviously.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 12:05 PM
  #38
Den
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Stockholm
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 5,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
By this same logic, could Donbass have Ukrainian names for Ukrainian players on their jerseys in the original cyrillic, or should they be converted to Russian?

(linguistic situation in Donetsk notwithstanding, just playing devils advocate)

Олексій Понікаровський vs. Алексей Поникаровский
You are wrong on this one They can easily use "the regional language" in Donetsk

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 12:08 PM
  #39
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky
 
Sokil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 6,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
You are wrong on this one They can easily use "the regional language" in Donetsk
What am I 'wrong' about?

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 12:19 PM
  #40
Vicente
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cologne
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
What am I 'wrong' about?
He says all teams should play with the correct writing of their local language.

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 12:36 PM
  #41
Den
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Stockholm
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 5,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
What am I 'wrong' about?
"A sign of respect" in Donetsk would be to write in the "regional language" of the majority

This is all BS though, Latin is quite OK as far as I am concerned.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 12:43 PM
  #42
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky
 
Sokil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 6,227
vCash: 500
It was just hypothetical, I said 'linguistic situation in Donetsk notwithstanding'

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 08:03 PM
  #43
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
English is a lingua franca. Most people will understand it. And far more people in Russia know how to read latin letters than people in the rest of the world know to read cyrillic letters. I don't see how this can affect Russian culture if the KHL wants that people around the world are able to follow the league...

If you are so angry about using Latin letters. Why do Russian football teams use them in international competitions? Why does the Russian ice hockey national team use them? Hey, Chinese and Koreans should also use their own letters in any international competition.... And news about Lev Praha should only be in Czech, news about Dinamo Riga only in Latvian....
In Germany, yes. In most european countries, yes. It's still not the world. And then again you and most posters get it wrong here. Please tell me where in God's name in my posts I stated it would affect russian culture. I just said that implementing different cultures instead of a dull standard will be good for the league. I pledge for using ALL languages there are in the league. And I get a broadside from ppl who probably stop reading after they realize I'm russian and just try to live out their xenophobia.

There is obvoiously some double standards among some posters here.

Once again we're not talking about the Olympics or WC here. It's just about KHL. So let's not blow this out of proportion and get the Chinese into it. WC or Olympics is a different story.

I also don't get the stuff about news. You really miss the target there. News about martians would be in russian in Moscow and in czech in Prague obviously.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 02:37 AM
  #44
Theokritos
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
In Germany, yes. In most european countries, yes. It's still not the world.
Most european countries - that's the target the KHL is aiming at. I like the solution you propose too, but the uniform english look is a business decision by Medvedev & Co to conquer the western markets and that's the No.1 priority right now.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:19 AM
  #45
Son of Krypton
Registered User
 
Son of Krypton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
it is true. they maybe use / for some reason, but you won't see any of those on swedish jerseys or ā on latvian jerseys etc.
For the Swedish national team, it might have something to do with the fact that , and are Swedish letters in their own right. They aren't simply A's and O's with diacritics.*


You'll note that Johan Franzn doesn't have an accented E on his jersey. That's because , while quite common in Swedish, isn't its own letter. It's the letter E with a diacritic (in this case, an acute accent).


* Unlike German, for example, where and are considered umlauted A's and O's.


Last edited by Son of Krypton: 11-09-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Son of Krypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:06 AM
  #46
Faterson
Registered User
 
Faterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bratislava
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Krypton View Post
Unlike German, for example, where and are considered umlauted A's and O's.
That doesn't mean the difference between the two is negligible, though. You are supposed to use AE, OE, UE whenever , , are not available. That's the origin of Jonathan Toews's name, or Gustavo Kuerten's -- both are originally German last names (Tws, Krten). To write the former German Chancellor's name as "Schroder" is considered careless -- it should be either Schrder or Schroeder.

It makes me sad to see Slovak teams (including Slovan Bratislava in the KHL) ignore the diacritics in the players' names on the players' jerseys. It likely indicates a lack of national pride.

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:29 AM
  #47
ult
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
It makes me sad to see Slovak teams (including Slovan Bratislava in the KHL) ignore the diacritics in the players' names on the players' jerseys. It likely indicates a lack of national pride.
They can't. There are regulations. No one can use any diacritics. And moreover, Russians tolerate enough with latin letters and now you're trying to take an ell...

ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:46 AM
  #48
Faterson
Registered User
 
Faterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bratislava
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,546
vCash: 500
That's a silly and despotic rule. It definitely shows a lack of respect towards national languages. (To make it clear, I for one wouldn't object against Russian teams' continued use of Cyrillic on player jerseys.) I can't possibly see any harm in the use of diacritic letters on player jerseys. Forbidding to use them only shows ignorance, and in fact promotes ignorance. I've noticed quite a few Russian TV announcers mispronouncing the name of Slovan's goalkeeper Janus as "Januš". If Slovan players were allowed to use diacritic letters on their jerseys, both fans and announcers would soon notice that s = с and š = ш. A nice model of how to respect the proper spelling of player names from all around Europe has always been uefa.com, see for example here. Fearing the use of diacritics is typically a sign of ignorance and of a failure to utilise the universal UTF-8 encoding to its full potential. KHL's webpages would do well to strive to emulate uefa.com in its respectful internationalism.

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.