HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Thread Part IV: Hey Marine! Edition

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2012, 01:59 AM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
Hey guys,

I am in a crisis here. My best friend (unfortunately so) was recruited by a friend of his to a pyramid scheme involving Organo Gold Coffee. It's a well known scam. Anyway, I explained to him why it is so utterly despicably stupid: The concept of a pyramid scheme, the fact that "you only need 3 more recruits to break even" is idiotic and a scam, the fact that they try and lure you with "free ipads" and if you sell enough "you get to draw for a brand new Benz." Also, the coffee heals you. He was like "I had some and it gave me so much energy" and I'm like 1) psychological effect and 2) it's coffee, what do you expect? Coffee that they probably modify to give you that rush. The scam requires you to give $600 to receive packages that you sell by the way. I explained to him, it's not the coffee you're selling, it's the money and "commission" you can make from selling to others that you're actually selling, in other words, you're selling an idea, a sales package and not coffee. I explained that if the coffee is so great, then why wouldn't the company just sell it themselves and revolutionize the coffee market. I explained that you will essentially be screwing your friends over when you try and sell it to them because it's like one of those "forward this email to 10 people or you'll have bad luck" chain mails. I explained that it's all a scam and whatever money you think you can make is an illusion and you're being recruited, or played by your friend who is trying to get out of a **** hole himself. Anyone who gets involved obviously lacks intelligence, rationality and is seriously geared toward thinking like a gullible and wishful and trusting monkey. He then got defensive and said, it's a matter of opinion. I seriously doubt the friendship will last now. best friend for 4 years and this is just like... no. I don't think I can do this anymore.

That and a dozen other reasons I tried to explain to him, nothing clicked.

I need my smart and rational and sensible boys on HFBoards to offer condolences or even virtue internet pat on the back because I'm about to revive the Vancouver riots all by myself and do twice the amount of damage compared to last time.
All i can say is it's not your fault. At all. Scams like that are geared towards weak minded individuals. If you can't see that a job is not going to ask you to pay money to be employed then you deserve to lose that money. However, if he gets enough idiots to fall for the scam as well, he might actually break even. If your friend is going to jump off a bridge and you tell him not to, and then he does. You tried your best and offered your opinion and advice and he didn't take it. Just say sorry, keep your friendship, and when he loses his money (which 600 bucks for the package? *******.) then you can sit there and smile inside while he says "i know, i know, you told me so." then the next time he will be more likely to listen to your advice.

Basically though, who the **** even does those things anymore?

Old
09-26-2012, 02:02 AM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

vCash: 500
best one

Old
09-26-2012, 02:08 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
All i can say is it's not your fault. At all. Scams like that are geared towards weak minded individuals. If you can't see that a job is not going to ask you to pay money to be employed then you deserve to lose that money. However, if he gets enough idiots to fall for the scam as well, he might actually break even. If your friend is going to jump off a bridge and you tell him not to, and then he does. You tried your best and offered your opinion and advice and he didn't take it. Just say sorry, keep your friendship, and when he loses his money (which 600 bucks for the package? *******.) then you can sit there and smile inside while he says "i know, i know, you told me so." then the next time he will be more likely to listen to your advice.

Basically though, who the **** even does those things anymore?
I know but that's not the worst part for me, after explaining absolutely everything, I know he gets my message but some of the things that he said "Well, it just depends on where you are on the pyramid" "some people make a career from this" "Well, [My friend] is doing really well from this (obviously he's going to say that)" and "Well, how do you explain that I got enough energy to work out for 2 hours?" It haunts me. It haunts me. He's a nice person, lovable person but the stupidity in him sometimes just makes me want to **** a mountain goat up the *** and then get eaten by a mountain lion.

It's like, hey man, I care about you but hey man, stop being an idiot and hey man, I'm having to be a different person and pretend like I don't want to light you and your thoughts and stubbornness on fire and hey man, don't be so defensive and unwind that counterproductive ego that only causes you to run away from things in life that you need to confront and now my grammar isn't even making sense but ugh. I'm just not in a great place right now. This must be how MTL felt after trading away their chance at a happy and successful club and fan base for a Scott Gomez who sometimes serves better to be burned alive than to play hockey.

Old
09-26-2012, 02:10 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McDonut View Post
best one
That cheered me up

Old
09-26-2012, 02:17 AM
Killem Dafoe
k.

Quote:
I know but that's not the worst part for me, after explaining absolutely everything, I know he gets my message but some of the things that he said "Well, it just depends on where you are on the pyramid" "some people make a career from this" "Well, [My friend] is doing really well from this (obviously he's going to say that)" and "Well, how do you explain that I got enough energy to work out for 2 hours?" It haunts me. It haunts me. He's a nice person, lovable person but the stupidity in him sometimes just makes me want to **** a mountain goat up the *** and then get eaten by a mountain lion.

It's like, hey man, I care about you but hey man, stop being an idiot and hey man, I'm having to be a different person and pretend like I don't want to light you and your thoughts and stubbornness on fire and hey man, don't be so defensive and unwind that counterproductive ego that only causes you to run away from things in life that you need to confront and now my grammar isn't even making sense but ugh. I'm just not in a great place right now. This must be how MTL felt after trading away their chance at a happy and successful club and fan base for a Scott Gomez who sometimes serves better to be burned alive than to play hockey.
My grammar sucks past a certain time too, don't sweat it. And yeah man, if you guys are best friends, it'll work itself out. If he is really behind this and wants to pay 600 bucks (again, holy ****) then let him. It's what he wants to do, and if he's motivated by the product and wants to try to sell it, he might be good at it. He's right in one aspect, it's where you are on the pyramid, the guys at the top make good money, if he thinks he can get there, then give him your best wishes and support his "dream". If he falls, then be there to catch him. lol that's my best hallmark quote right there. But seriously, there's truth to it, just let him learn for himself. Who knows though, maybe he'll rock at selling cocaine coffee to people by I'm guessing cold calling? Soliciting? Not sure the method, but maybe he can do it. Personally, I think those things are dumb, but he might one day be one of the dudes who run around all jazzed up and patting people on the back and getting suckers of his very own to join the pyramid. And by that time, he'll be at the top.

Most likely, he'll lose 600 bucks though and get a lot of people turning him down because, you know..they can buy coffee at the store.

Old
09-26-2012, 02:17 AM
Killem Dafoe
k.

And that video is pretty awesome lol

Old
09-26-2012, 02:28 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
My grammar sucks past a certain time too, don't sweat it. And yeah man, if you guys are best friends, it'll work itself out. If he is really behind this and wants to pay 600 bucks (again, holy ****) then let him. It's what he wants to do, and if he's motivated by the product and wants to try to sell it, he might be good at it. He's right in one aspect, it's where you are on the pyramid, the guys at the top make good money, if he thinks he can get there, then give him your best wishes and support his "dream". If he falls, then be there to catch him. lol that's my best hallmark quote right there. But seriously, there's truth to it, just let him learn for himself. Who knows though, maybe he'll rock at selling cocaine coffee to people by I'm guessing cold calling? Soliciting? Not sure the method, but maybe he can do it. Personally, I think those things are dumb, but he might one day be one of the dudes who run around all jazzed up and patting people on the back and getting suckers of his very own to join the pyramid. And by that time, he'll be at the top.

Most likely, he'll lose 600 bucks though and get a lot of people turning him down because, you know..they can buy coffee at the store.
That's real sound advice but what's difficult for me now, is the fact that it feels like I'm getting advice from the "I'm just getting something to eat" guy

Not exactly the face of trustworthiness

Old
09-26-2012, 02:32 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Or the time that Asian guy fainted?
Haha, I could imagine why though. I believe he's Japanese and in that culture, one of the worst things you can do is anything that involves shame. You would be better off a psychopathic narcissistic murderer than someone who does something shameful. He fainted because he realized the impact of what he's done. He's not even thinking about jail time. If dateline offered him 3-year jail time for soliciting a minor and promised to keep everything confidential and cover up the nature of the sentencing as corporate fraud, I guarantee he'll take it in a heartbeat.

How's Canada treating you by the way? Tim Horton's coffee is gross eh?

Old
09-26-2012, 03:15 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:
Haha, I could imagine why though. I believe he's Japanese and in that culture, one of the worst things you can do is anything that involves shame. You would be better off a psychopathic narcissistic murderer than someone who does something shameful. He fainted because he realized the impact of what he's done. He's not even thinking about jail time. If dateline offered him 3-year jail time for soliciting a minor and promised to keep everything confidential and cover up the nature of the sentencing as corporate fraud, I guarantee he'll take it in a heartbeat.

How's Canada treating you by the way? Tim Horton's coffee is gross eh?
NO it is NOT

Old
09-26-2012, 03:35 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
NO it is NOT
You like Timmy's coffee?

Old
09-26-2012, 06:50 AM
Realize

Send a message via ICQ to Realize Send a message via MSN to Realize Send a message via Skype™ to Realize
Quote:
I don't even know what DAoc is
That neck warmer on that mannequin is creepy as hell
DAoC --> Dark age of camelot, was created by mythic I think (GOA in Germany).

That neck warmer mustn't been worn over the nose - I think 90% of all supermarkets would lock me out if I would try to get in there like this

(I hate that 8 hours which we are "in front" of you, so I am never in this thread when the primetime-posting begins )

Old
09-26-2012, 07:06 AM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realize View Post
DAoC --> Dark age of camelot, was created by mythic I think (GOA in Germany).

That neck warmer mustn't been worn over the nose - I think 90% of all supermarkets would lock me out if I would try to get in there like this

(I hate that 8 hours which we are "in front" of you, so I am never in this thread when the primetime-posting begins )
we still love you

Old
09-26-2012, 08:15 AM
blue425

I still love the spoof with the actual Predator.

This isnt the one I was talking about, and I haven't watched it yet, but it has a Predator in it.

It could be funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRsOX-UzTb0

Last edited by blue425: 09-26-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old
09-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Killem Dafoe
k.

Quote:
That's real sound advice but what's difficult for me now, is the fact that it feels like I'm getting advice from the "I'm just getting something to eat" guy

Not exactly the face of trustworthiness
lol I knew this avatar wouldn't pan out very well for me.

Ima go touch some boys, if you need any more advice, I'll be at McDonalds getttinsumtintoeeeaatt

Old
09-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Killem Dafoe
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
I still love the spoof with the actual Predator.

This isnt the one I was talking about, and I haven't watched it yet, but it has a Predator in it.

It could be funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRsOX-UzTb0
The best part is how the Predator's voice sounds exactly like the creepy Gary Busey pedophile from the other video.

Old
09-26-2012, 10:04 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

@JCresty

offer your advice, if he doesn't take it and continues on his own path then there's nothing you can really do. No need to ruin a friendship over this, and if he crashes (as you suspect he will) then be a friend down the line when he needs you.

Old
09-26-2012, 10:10 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

So... the Rangers were supposed to play the Devils tonight

Old
09-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Realize

Send a message via ICQ to Realize Send a message via MSN to Realize Send a message via Skype™ to Realize
Quote:
Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o View Post
we still love you
Thanks, I appreciate that

Old
09-26-2012, 10:17 AM
blue425

OT, but it is that sort of thread.

Monsanto strikes again.

http://www.businessinsider.com/walma...labeled-2012-8

Way to go Walmart! After Whole Foods and Trader Joe's rejected this **** you were there to pick up the pieces!

What do you expect from a company that purposely keeps its full time employees just under the required hours so they don't have to pay them benefits?

Not that I needed another reason to not shop there.

Quote:
The best part is how the Predator's voice sounds exactly like the creepy Gary Busey pedophile from the other video.
I just watched it. The ending was stupid.

The one I saw a while back had a guy (Predator) in a Flyers jacket show up, He spoke in the Predator language and it was subtitled. ****ing hilarious.

BOOYA! Found it!

Last edited by blue425: 09-26-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old
09-26-2012, 10:29 AM
blue425

delete

Old
09-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Killem Dafoe
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
BOOYA! Found it!

YES! I saw this a while back. This is great. haha

Old
09-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Killem Dafoe
k.

"He tells the girl..

"<}|_**>:}|/\|.."

The decoy responds;

"I don't know what you're saying."

Old
09-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:
You like Timmy's coffee?
I don't like it I LOVE it. its so good. The ones in Buffalo/the Buffalo area are great, but they're waaaaaay better in Canada, IMO. There is a Tim Hortons in NYC too

Old
09-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
is it weird I want to be in school right now?

Old
09-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o View Post
is it weird I want to be in school right now?
Any reason in particular? Personally senior year rewls so far, so I don't really mind being here. Also helps that I could choose my classes this year so a few actually interest me.

Closed Thread