HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Thread Part IX: WTF is Pitkanen worth anyway? Not $4.5 million apparently ‎

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-17-2012, 07:57 PM
  #226
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll
 
Carolinas Identity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: United States
Posts: 8,639
vCash: 500
Year 2 in be a GM. I may have assembled the greatest 4th line in the history of hockey.

Bisonette//Konopka//LaRose

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:06 AM
  #227
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll
 
Carolinas Identity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: United States
Posts: 8,639
vCash: 500
@alexsemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by @alexsemin
Signed on to my eHarmony account. None of my matches today are the #NHL owners #lockout
LOCKOUT DIARY. Day 1: Ate waffles while watching Joel's OTGWG on repeat. Admired hair in mirror.
The NHL lockout has arrived. Only RG3 can save us now.
Did you know that 'lockout' spelled backward spells 'tuokcol'?
Whatever King Henrik plans to do during this lockout, I bet his hair will look amazing. #locks #out
To ease the pain of being locked out, I plan to drink white Russians 'til I'm knocked out. RT if you're with me.
I'M LOCKED OUT of my car. Calling AAA right now.
Tonite I'm gonna rock out with my... lockout #sad
funny guy

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:32 AM
  #228
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,004
vCash: 500
I found this kind of amusing.

Quote:
Marek Zidlicky will join Jaromir Jagr, Jiri Tlusty and Tomas Plekanec in HC Rytiri Kladno. Tomas Kaberle ir rumored to join them as well. (edit: Jagr himself said today that Kladno decided not to sign Kaberle)
Sounds like Kaberle isn't even wanted by his old Czech team?

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:04 AM
  #229
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016
 
Lethargic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Isle of Misfit Toys
Country: Somalia
Posts: 9,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
Year 2 in be a GM. I may have assembled the greatest 4th line in the history of hockey.

Bisonette//Konopka//LaRose
Did you also find it funny when you first logged in and updated the roster, that LaRose was on the 2nd line wing.

Lethargic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 04:31 AM
  #230
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll
 
Carolinas Identity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: United States
Posts: 8,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post
Did you also find it funny when you first logged in and updated the roster, that LaRose was on the 2nd line wing.
can't really comment, somewhat ironically, the day it came out (the 11th) was my first day without internet cause I ripped all the carpet outta my house for new hard wood floors. The base game had him on my 1st line with Eric and Jiri (accurate at least) so when I got new rosters three days later he was back on my 3rd line.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 10:30 PM
  #231
Cardiac_Canes
Registered User
 
Cardiac_Canes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,970
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I found this kind of amusing.



Sounds like Kaberle isn't even wanted by his old Czech team?
And then he signs with them today.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 04:19 AM
  #232
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll
 
Carolinas Identity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: United States
Posts: 8,639
vCash: 500
Just passed trade deadline 2013 and I'm gearing up for a cup run...

Really hope I win, cause I don't have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th this year and no 1st, 2nd or 3rd next year and I have $5,000 in cap space

Jordan Staal//Eric Staal//Jarome Iginla
Alex Semin//Pavel Datsyuk//Jeff Skinner
Jussi Jokinen//Valteri Fillpula//Tuomo Ruutu
Paul Bissonette//Zenon Konopka//Chad LaRose

Tim Gleason//Joni Pitkänen
Jamie McBain//Justin Faulk
Henrik Tallinder//Douglas Murray

Cam Ward
Justin Peters

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:00 PM
  #233
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll
 
Carolinas Identity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: United States
Posts: 8,639
vCash: 500
Wonder if all the Oiler's fans are going to still follow the team when it moves to Seattle or if they'll become Flames fans

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:14 PM
  #234
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 32,306
vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
Wonder if all the Oiler's fans are going to still follow the team when it moves to Seattle or if they'll become Flames fans
It'll never happen, but the deserved schadenfreuda will be flat out palpable if it did. With the way the Canadian media treated the Thrashers move, and has treated the Coyotes situation, the Preds in the past, and even us and numerous other non-traditional markets we'll quickly find out if they, and the uber-nationalists that were the "make it 7" crowd, can take it anywhere close to as well as they can dish it. I don't remember anywhere near the type of glee that we saw with Atlanta, Nashville, and Phoenix in trouble when it was Winnipeg, Edmonton, and Calgary in the 90s, and much more recently Ottawa in bad shape.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:57 PM
  #235
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll
 
Carolinas Identity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: United States
Posts: 8,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
It'll never happen, but the deserved schadenfreuda will be flat out palpable if it did. With the way the Canadian media treated the Thrashers move, and has treated the Coyotes situation, the Preds in the past, and even us and numerous other non-traditional markets we'll quickly find out if they, and the uber-nationalists that were the "make it 7" crowd, can take it anywhere close to as well as they can dish it. I don't remember anywhere near the type of glee that we saw with Atlanta, Nashville, and Phoenix in trouble when it was Winnipeg, Edmonton, and Calgary in the 90s, and much more recently Ottawa in bad shape.
They can't. Trust me. I live in it//with it every day. Tho I will go on the bender to end all benders if they do move to Seattle. Over and above them deserving a team (I hope they get a new NBA one also) there's no way to measure the amount of glee I'll have at those same nationalists expense.

Everything they gave me while I was defending the Thrashers, and still am defending the other non traditional markets will be visited back on them ten fold

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:02 PM
  #236
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll
 
Carolinas Identity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: United States
Posts: 8,639
vCash: 500
And the best part is, if you go check the other thread, I already designed the jerseys they can use

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 04:13 PM
  #237
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll
 
Carolinas Identity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: United States
Posts: 8,639
vCash: 500
So, I just got back from lunch at a bar, and was talking about this Seattle Oiler's stuff with some people. All good until one guy goes: "I'm a Flames fan, so no love lost for Edmonton, but I wonder if they do move if people in Seattle will even be able to appreciate hockey."

I politley pointed out that there are four WHL teams in the state, and if you count Portland, OR, there are five teams within a few hours of eachother. To which he replied: "Really? No way, I don't believe that."

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 04:42 PM
  #238
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 34,396
vCash: 500
I don't understand where people get the idea that hockey is some kind of super-foreign sport in the United States. If we're talking about curling, or even lacrosse to some extent, then maybe... but hockey? One of the big 4?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 04:53 PM
  #239
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 32,306
vCash: 562
Agreed. Though to be fair I'm sure if you told your average Canes fan (ie: not one of us that follow the team to a level where we can have thousands of message board posts about the sport) that there's a hockey team in one of the top feeder leagues for the NHL named the Hurricanes in Alberta that's been around for 30 years longer then we have they'd be quite confused. Not saying that guy should have been at all surprised that there's an entire WHL division in Washington and Oregon, especially as Calgary's top prospect played the last two seasons on one of those teams. Just saying you're bound to find someone that doesn't know any better.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 06:49 PM
  #240
HisIceness
Michal Jordan
 
HisIceness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Charlotte
Country: United States
Posts: 7,226
vCash: 500
Anyone remember when the Oilers came close to being moved to Houston? I'm almost positive it would have happened if Houston had the Toyota Center built at the time and/or if the Oilers were not such a dominant team in the 80's and very early 90's. It would have been a perfect time to do so with expansion going on.

Plus Houston getting to use the Oilers name again would have been cool. Imagine this on a hockey jersey



Last edited by HisIceness: 09-25-2012 at 06:54 PM.
HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 07:48 PM
  #241
Sens1Canes2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I don't understand where people get the idea that hockey is some kind of super-foreign sport in the United States. If we're talking about curling, or even lacrosse to some extent, then maybe... but hockey? One of the big 4?
It IS super foreign in comparison to the other 3.

Sens1Canes2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 10:16 PM
  #242
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 34,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
It IS super foreign in comparison to the other 3.
It's really not, though. Every kid in America plays floor hockey in gym class. Every Wal Mart sells NHL 13. The major media cities all have teams. Every sports fan should have at least a vague familiarity with the NHL, and hockey in general is nowhere near "foreign".

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 10:35 PM
  #243
Sens1Canes2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
It's really not, though. Every kid in America plays floor hockey in gym class. Every Wal Mart sells NHL 13. The major media cities all have teams. Every sports fan should have at least a vague familiarity with the NHL, and hockey in general is nowhere near "foreign".
Ok, didn't realize we're talking about mere awareness of the sport. I'll give you that. But I guarantee you that a casual Hurricanes fan couldn't even tell you the name of the league the Checkers play in. Hell, the guys I go to games with, who have season tickets, couldn't tell you that.

I had no idea there was an entire NW US division in the WHL, btw. That's crazy.

Sens1Canes2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 10:39 PM
  #244
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 34,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
Ok, didn't realize we're talking about mere awareness of the sport. I'll give you that. But I guarantee you that a casual Hurricanes fan couldn't even tell you the name of the league the Checkers play in. Hell, the guys I go to games with, who have season tickets, couldn't tell you that.
The thing is, though, you could go to Atlanta and ask a bunch of Braves fans the name of the AAA league, and how many would know that off the top of their heads? How many Bobcats fans could name 3 D-League franchises? That's how it is regardless of the sport involved.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 02:33 AM
  #245
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll
 
Carolinas Identity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: United States
Posts: 8,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
The thing is, though, you could go to Atlanta and ask a bunch of Braves fans the name of the AAA league, and how many would know that off the top of their heads? How many Bobcats fans could name 3 D-League franchises? That's how it is regardless of the sport involved.
This.

Also, I bet none of ya'll realised the the Univeristy of Alabama has a somewhat respectable div III hockey team.

Roll, Frozen Tide, roll

And belive me when I say, you wouldn't believe some of the conversations I've had wearing that jersey in Canada


Last edited by Carolinas Identity: 09-26-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:23 AM
  #246
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14
 
Gotta Catch Em Staal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
They can't compete with Alabama Huntsville though! They have a Division I team and went to the tournament in 2007 and 2010. They also won the Division II tournament in 1996 and 1998.

__________________
-Jonathan
Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:35 AM
  #247
geehaad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldVonKimblestein View Post
They can't compete with Alabama Huntsville though!
Oh no he didn't just go there did he.

Alabama hockey war of words...it's on.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:53 AM
  #248
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 34,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Oh no he didn't just go there did he.

Alabama hockey war of words...it's on.
I look forward to the day that SEC fans have hockey rivalries

With all due respect to the history and culture of sports elsewhere, you haven't seen people take sports (way too) seriously until you've seen some Alabamans get fired up...

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:57 AM
  #249
geehaad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
With all due respect to the history and culture of sports elsewhere, you haven't seen people take sports (way too) seriously until you've seen some Alabamans get fired up...
I've seen Buffalo Sabres fans in the RBC Center...doesn't that count for anything?

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 10:30 AM
  #250
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll
 
Carolinas Identity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: United States
Posts: 8,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldVonKimblestein View Post
They can't compete with Alabama Huntsville though! They have a Division I team and went to the tournament in 2007 and 2010. They also won the Division II tournament in 1996 and 1998.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.