HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Huberdeau

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-22-2012, 03:58 PM
  #26
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
Well, he can't be dealt until Christmas so no risk until then. And I'd expect that if the lockout drags on until then or after, Florida will likely leave Huberdeau in junior. My opinion anyway.

I believe the teams that will be at the forefront for Huberdeau are Halifax and BLB. Next to no chance he goes to Moncton, the rivalry is too hot especially after Gormley going to Shawinigan - it was no secret he was in Saint John's plans and Gerard Gallant stated that he felt the offer on the table was slightly better than Shawinigan's but the rivalry between the two clubs begins right at the top with ownership.

I'd say Halifax will be landing at least some of Saint John's assets for a run - other than Huberdeau, I'm sure there will be interest in Kevin Gagne, Pierre Durepos, Stephen MacAulay and Ryan Tesink. And I expect SJ will deal some or all of them.

If Huberdeau stays in the Q for the season, the return on him will be a huge fast-forward for SJ's rebuilding scheme. Here's hoping!

In the meantime, I'll enjoy getting to watch Huberdeau a little more than anticipated - if not for the lockout I'm sure he wouldn't be in town. The team sure is different to watch, having lost 5 of their top 6 forwards (Jurco, Galiev, Phillips, Coyle, Gauthier) along with Beaulieu and Roussel on D and Corbeil in net. Offense will be hard to come by, and to date after two games the Seadogs have 4 goals, Huberdeau in on 3 of them.
Would you be satisfied with a return such as

- Saint John's 1st 2013
- Julien Bahl
- Christopher Clapperton at the draft (will be 19 next season)

Basically two top prospects + a 1st liner for two seasons.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 08:59 PM
  #27
JohnnyB11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Would you be satisfied with a return such as

- Saint John's 1st 2013
- Julien Bahl
- Christopher Clapperton at the draft (will be 19 next season)

Basically two top prospects + a 1st liner for two seasons.
I think SJ is going to be looking for 4 assets in return if Huberdeau is in the Q for the year. The 3 above are BLB's top 3 assets in my opinion, I think it will take more than that but that should certainly get BLB some serious consideration.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 11:04 AM
  #28
ElementZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 74
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
I'd say Halifax will be landing at least some of Saint John's assets for a run - other than Huberdeau, I'm sure there will be interest in Kevin Gagne, Pierre Durepos, Stephen MacAulay and Ryan Tesink. And I expect SJ will deal some or all of them.


I can't see the Moose going after Gagne, Durepos or Mac with their 3 OA's that they already have....Fournier, KA, and Gilliard.

In fact, as much as I like SJ's 3 OA's, I can't see any contender kicking the tires too seriously.

ElementZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 05:44 PM
  #29
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,174
vCash: 500
Gagne and Durepos will generate some serious intrest... They have plenty of big game experience...

It wouldnt be a surprise to me if Gilliard got dumped.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 07:04 PM
  #30
PEIslander79
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Prince Edward Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Gagne and Durepos will generate some serious intrest... They have plenty of big game experience...

It wouldnt be a surprise to me if Gilliard got dumped.
If Ellis gets cut from Hamilton, I would be willing to place money on the Mooseheads acquiring him. Tremendous fit if you ask me, he'll bolster the D defensively and also add a defender who loves to fire the puck. Much better addition than Gillard. It's guys like Ellis that win teams Championships.

PEIslander79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 07:19 PM
  #31
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Gillard won't go unless it's someone like Ellis... He won't return though.

Gillard is quietly a great shut-down defender who can hit and plays solid D. Can't see too many players that would be worth our time to acquire over Gillard...

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 07:54 PM
  #32
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,783
vCash: 500
I don't think Ellis will come back.

I think Kevin Gagné is miles ahead of Gillard, Mooseheads wouldn't hesitate to make the switch.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 08:24 PM
  #33
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
I don't think Ellis will come back.

I think Kevin Gagné is miles ahead of Gillard, Mooseheads wouldn't hesitate to make the switch.
Maybe, but I don't think we'd pay that much for him.

And yes we would hesistate unless they're giving him away.

Edit: what do you think the cost would be from Halifax?

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 10:58 AM
  #34
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,783
vCash: 500
I don't know, probably a significant asset(s), but I think it would be worth it. Gagné has a lot of experience, plays well both ways, very smart and a great skater.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 11:24 AM
  #35
chsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
I don't know, probably a significant asset(s), but I think it would be worth it. Gagné has a lot of experience, plays well both ways, very smart and a great skater.
Looking at prices paid for Carrier/O'Brien/Vermette/Micaleff, I would think that Gagne could fetch a 2013 1st rounder at the Christmas deadline.....as I believe he is as good or better than any of these above .

Now Moncton and Halifax do NOT have a 1st 2013.
Prices will be higher this Christmas.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:51 PM
  #36
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post
Looking at prices paid for Carrier/O'Brien/Vermette/Micaleff, I would think that Gagne could fetch a 2013 1st rounder at the Christmas deadline.....as I believe he is as good or better than any of these above .

Now Moncton and Halifax do NOT have a 1st 2013.
Prices will be higher this Christmas.
Prices will be the same as any other year what has changed?

And I wouldn't trade a 2014 1st for Gagne... As I wouldn't want to spend a top asset just to make an upgrade on Gillard.

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:31 PM
  #37
JohnnyB11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Gillard won't go unless it's someone like Ellis... He won't return though.

Gillard is quietly a great shut-down defender who can hit and plays solid D. Can't see too many players that would be worth our time to acquire over Gillard...
Are you saying that Halifax would be better off with Gillard instead of Gagne or Durepos? In a year they have championship aspirations? Seems that way but surely that's not what you meant.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 03:36 PM
  #38
Reesor01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
Are you saying that Halifax would be better off with Gillard instead of Gagne or Durepos? In a year they have championship aspirations? Seems that way but surely that's not what you meant.
Believe he's saying the price you'd pay to get a guy like Gagne isn't worth losing Gillard over. The spread between Gagne and Gillard isn't worth giving up a 1st round pick for. We can use that pick elsewhere.

Reesor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 05:25 PM
  #39
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesor01 View Post
Believe he's saying the price you'd pay to get a guy like Gagne isn't worth losing Gillard over. The spread between Gagne and Gillard isn't worth giving up a 1st round pick for. We can use that pick elsewhere.
Yes it is...

Big game experience has no price...

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 07:38 PM
  #40
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesor01 View Post
Believe he's saying the price you'd pay to get a guy like Gagne isn't worth losing Gillard over. The spread between Gagne and Gillard isn't worth giving up a 1st round pick for. We can use that pick elsewhere.
Yeah, this.

I'm not too keen on spending ALOT on Gagne, like it sounds he'll cost...

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 05:06 AM
  #41
JohnnyB11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Yeah, this.

I'm not too keen on spending ALOT on Gagne, like it sounds he'll cost...

Perhaps you aren't keen on it, but EVERYONE costs alot at Christmas time. That's the nature of the league. Do you think Halifax has what it takes to win if they sit still at Christmas? There are few (if any) meaningful deals to be had at Christmas that are seen as a bargain for a buying team.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 05:25 AM
  #42
Reesor01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Yes it is...

Big game experience has no price...

er... yes it does.

I understand the importance of big game experience, but you're basically giving up Gillard and a 1st for Gagné. And no that's not a fair deal. And upgrade on Gillard would have to be an absolute steal, or we'd have to include him in the deal. And I doubt anyone trading a 20yo would want another 20yo in return. The time to trade 20yos is before the season starts... if you started the season with 3 20s.

No I don't think Halifax is good enough to win the Memorial Cup as is. Honestly I don't think having Ciampini - Boudreau on the 2nd line is good enough... unless they prove me wrong in the next 3 months. But trivial trades involving guys that have been with your organization for 3+ years don't happen too often, and they very seldom happen in Halifax. Any upgrade to the D will involve a 19yo IMO.

Reesor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 06:22 AM
  #43
JohnnyB11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesor01 View Post
er... yes it does.

I understand the importance of big game experience, but you're basically giving up Gillard and a 1st for Gagné. And no that's not a fair deal. And upgrade on Gillard would have to be an absolute steal, or we'd have to include him in the deal. And I doubt anyone trading a 20yo would want another 20yo in return. The time to trade 20yos is before the season starts... if you started the season with 3 20s.

No I don't think Halifax is good enough to win the Memorial Cup as is. Honestly I don't think having Ciampini - Boudreau on the 2nd line is good enough... unless they prove me wrong in the next 3 months. But trivial trades involving guys that have been with your organization for 3+ years don't happen too often, and they very seldom happen in Halifax. Any upgrade to the D will involve a 19yo IMO.
Not sure the asking price will be a 1st for Gagne, but to call a trade of Gillard for Gagne trivial is either a big underestimation of Gagne or a big overvaluing of Gillard. I'd compare Gillard to SJ's Jason Seed. 20 year old, dependable Dman. Seed is playing with SJ right now with Durepos on the shelf and Gagne about to head to Hamilton for pro camp, but when the stable is full there's no question Seed will be on the outside. I like him in the lineup but he doesn't come close to knocking any of the other 20s out and I don't expect they'll be able to deal him. If they do, it will likely be for minimal return, more a matter of finding a good, loyal kid a place to play rather than trying to get good value.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 08:05 AM
  #44
ElementZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 74
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Yes it is...

Big game experience has no price...
Marchand was a big game player....

ElementZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 10:36 AM
  #45
CH4
Registered User
 
CH4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesor01 View Post
er... yes it does.

I understand the importance of big game experience, but you're basically giving up Gillard and a 1st for Gagné. And no that's not a fair deal. And upgrade on Gillard would have to be an absolute steal, or we'd have to include him in the deal. And I doubt anyone trading a 20yo would want another 20yo in return. The time to trade 20yos is before the season starts... if you started the season with 3 20s.

No I don't think Halifax is good enough to win the Memorial Cup as is. Honestly I don't think having Ciampini - Boudreau on the 2nd line is good enough... unless they prove me wrong in the next 3 months. But trivial trades involving guys that have been with your organization for 3+ years don't happen too often, and they very seldom happen in Halifax. Any upgrade to the D will involve a 19yo IMO.
aren't you all in?

you're losing Mackinnon and frk next year they aren't easily replaceable

obviously you'll have to pay the price to get a proven winner like Gagne, or a top offensive dman as Gagnon. quality 19 years olf def there is only a few of them and are already playing for blainville or quebec so forget about them. they would also cost like 3 times the price of an overager.

I think if you back up and don't buy at chrismass Blainville, quebec and Val D'or probably will buy and your window to get to the memorial will rapidly close.

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 10:56 AM
  #46
Reesor01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4 View Post
aren't you all in?

you're losing Mackinnon and frk next year they aren't easily replaceable

obviously you'll have to pay the price to get a proven winner like Gagne, or a top offensive dman as Gagnon. quality 19 years olf def there is only a few of them and are already playing for blainville or quebec so forget about them. they would also cost like 3 times the price of an overager.

I think if you back up and don't buy at chrismass Blainville, quebec and Val D'or probably will buy and your window to get to the memorial will rapidly close.
This is our year.... yes. But that doesn't mean you just blindly throw 1st rounders away for marginal upgrades at a certain position.

I guess people just don't see what we in Halifax see in Gillard, so I'll never win that argument. It's tough to justify how good a player is when he scored 0 goals and 14 assists as an 18yo, and then sat out almost the whole year as a 19yo. So I can understand why people would think Gagné is worth it.

Reesor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 04:28 PM
  #47
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
Not sure the asking price will be a 1st for Gagne, but to call a trade of Gillard for Gagne trivial is either a big underestimation of Gagne or a big overvaluing of Gillard.
Well, you're from Saint John and he's from Halifax, so that's a possibility.

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 04:33 PM
  #48
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesor01 View Post

No I don't think Halifax is good enough to win the Memorial Cup as is. Honestly I don't think having Ciampini - Boudreau on the 2nd line is good enough... unless they prove me wrong in the next 3 months. But trivial trades involving guys that have been with your organization for 3+ years don't happen too often, and they very seldom happen in Halifax. Any upgrade to the D will involve a 19yo IMO.
I agree with this. I think the loyalty factor may play a part in this. I believe Gagne is a better D than Gillard, but is not as good as people think... Which will lead us to "You're underestimating Gagne"... maybe, but not many see what we have in Gillard. The jump from Gillard to Gagne is marginal, and if the price was a 2nd then yeah, you might pull the trigger....

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 01:01 PM
  #49
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,174
vCash: 500
It's really not marginal...

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 10:26 PM
  #50
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
2 Sea Dogs fans: It's not marginal
2 Moose fans: It is

I can see this will go nowhere

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.