HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XX)

Old
09-26-2012, 08:46 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

vCash: 500
if those 2 babies dont get married in 24 years, im just going to kill myself. imagine their offspring! dedicated grinders right out the womb

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
i was going to respond to you, but then i read this. yes, thankfully the lockout will keep marty off the ice for a year. what a terribly disrespectful thing to say to the man who dedicated his entire HOF career to the team we love so much. stay classy, Abacus.
Ya, that makes no sense to me either. Who would hope for Marty's career to be shorter? Wedgewood will get his time to develop, until then we'll be fine with this tandem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Also this -
"Bernier became a first-time father this summer when his wife gave birth to a son they named Henri-Louis, who was born Aug. 2 – the same day as linemate Ryan Carter’s wife gave birth to their first child, a daughter they named Meg."

That's crazy, adorable and hilarious all at the same time.
Henri-Louis Bernier? Quite a mouthful.

That is a hell of a coincidence too. They've got to be linemates for life now.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Ilkka Pikachu

You are now aware that Henri is french for Henrique in portuguese, and that had we not gotten past the first round the baby's name would have been Louis Bernier.

Ilkka Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
You are now aware that Henri is french for Henrique in portuguese, and that had we not gotten past the first round the baby's name would have been Louis Bernier.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Brodeur has had to straight years where he's ranked like 30th among NHL goalies with 20+ starts in save percentage. He's never had a streak like this in his career.

League save percentages were also lower in the late 90s, so it's not an apples to apples comparison.
He was a bit higher in save percentages in the league because not as many guys had save percentages over 930 like they do now. Only Hasek, but now you got a bunch of guys with that. The bigger equipment you can thank for that.

Out of goaltenders that played 40 or more games in 98/99 Brodeur ranked 19th with a save percentage of 906.

12th in the league in 99/00 with a 910

16th in 00/01 with a 906

15th in 01/02 with a 906. This is counting only goaltenders who played 40+ games those years. One thing that may skew these numbers is he played 70+ games all those years which allowed more room for bad games with a lower save percentage here, and there.

This year he was 25th out in save percentage of goaltenders playing 40+ games. That's with that many more goaltenders wearing the humongous equipment.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
He was a bit higher in save percentages in the league because not as many guys had save percentages over 930 like they do now. Only Hasek, but now you got a bunch of guys with that. The bigger equipment you can thank for that.

Out of goaltenders that played 40 or more games in 98/99 Brodeur ranked 19th with a save percentage of 906.

12th in the league in 99/00 with a 910

16th in 00/01 with a 906

15th in 01/02 with a 906. This is counting only goaltenders who played 40+ games those years. One thing that may skew these numbers is he played 70+ games all those years which allowed more room for bad games with a lower save percentage here, and there.

This year he was 25th out in save percentage of goaltenders playing 40+ games. That's with that many more goaltenders wearing the humongous equipment.
Huge difference between 12th-16th and 25th. Also, that's 25th or lower in back to back seasons. And like you said, it's conceivable to think he would have had a better save % than he did in the late 90s/early 00s if he played in <60 games.

I don't think equipment is the reason goaltenders are posting better %s.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
I don't think equipment is the reason goaltenders are posting better %s.
Why do you think they are? I have to say it's part of it. 20 years ago 880 was an acceptable save percentage. The goaltenders didn't wear the big equipment back then. Now there's a lot of goaltenders that take up the entire net. Also goaltenders that stop shots that Brodeur doesn't because they take up more of the net. I'm not saying the goaltenders who wear big equipment are worthless or not talented at all.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:14 PM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
Why do you think they are? I have to say it's part of it. 20 years ago 880 was an acceptable save percentage. The goaltenders didn't wear the big equipment back then. Now there's a lot of goaltenders that take up the entire net. Also goaltenders that stop shots that Brodeur doesn't because they take up more of the net. I'm not saying the goaltenders who wear big equipment are worthless or not talented at all.
Goalies are far, far, far superior in talent, technique and training than they were years ago. In fact, they are also significantly taller which factors into them taking up more net.

Anyone else watching Zids right now? Hes on a team with Jagr and Pleks. He seems to really be activating offensively.

TheUnseenHand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

All of the goaltenders from this era are gonna have a higher career save percentage than Brodeur, Roy, and all those guys. Hasek is probably the only one that it will be hard to beat career wise. A lot of the goalie equipment now is ridiculous. Some of these guys make saves without even moving.

That's not to say they aren't talented though. A lot of people single Lundqvist out but really there's one's a lot more ridiculous looking than him.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:30 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Anyone else watching Zids right now? Hes on a team with Jagr and Pleks. He seems to really be activating offensively.
Me. He just had a nice assist on that 4th goal.

manilaNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 12:31 PM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
All of the goaltenders from this era are gonna have a higher career save percentage than Brodeur, Roy, and all those guys. Hasek is probably the only one that it will be hard to beat career wise. A lot of the goalie equipment now is ridiculous. Some of these guys make saves without even moving.

That's not to say they aren't talented though. A lot of people single Lundqvist out but really there's one's a lot more ridiculous looking than him.
Yes, equipment plays some role, but I think it has a lot more to do with goalies as a whole just being bigger, faster, stronger, better trained, more technically sound, etc.

Zidlicky might as well be a forward in this game He's actually been decent defensively though and is making great passes. He must have 2 or 3 assists so far.

Last edited by TheUnseenHand: 09-26-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old
09-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

The bigger they are the bigger equipment they're allowed to wear too. Remember the jabroni clown AHL goaltender from the Isles that shut us out for almost 119 minutes over 2 games?

Too bad for us about Zidlicky. He could really be helping us if there was a season.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:40 PM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
The bigger they are the bigger equipment they're allowed to wear too. Remember the jabroni clown AHL goaltender from the Isles that shut us out for almost 119 minutes over 2 games?

Too bad for us about Zidlicky. He could really be helping us if there was a season.
That had more to do with the Devils offense than his goaltending.

It's only fair that a taller guy gets to wear taller pads. He has to protect himself. The disadvantage is that it takes him longer to get down into the butterfly. That said, goalies are just way, way faster to react on average than goalies years ago, so they can overcome this disadvantage.

I'm simply of the opinion that goalies are just better now as a whole than they used to be. If you gave all the goalies in the league 20 or 30 years ago todays pads, they wouldn't be any better IMO.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

What if the goalies of today had to wear the pads of 20 or 30 years ago though?

Longoman once said he wouldn't wear Marty's equipment in a game of street hockey.

How about our friend the Jiggymonster mr Conn Smythe 2003? Dude is a wall of pads.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:47 PM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
What if the goalies of today had to wear the pads of 20 or 30 years ago though?

Longoman once said he wouldn't wear Marty's equipment in a game of street hockey.

How about our friend the Jiggymonster mr Conn Smythe 2003? Dude is a wall of pads.
Again, I believe goalies now are just better. If you gave them yesteryears pads they'd get killed by the significantly better, on average, shots of todays forwards and D men. Still, they'd be better goalies than their counterparts from that era.

Jagr is schooling people in this game Oh, and Kaberle still sucks even in this league.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:47 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Zidlicky might as well be a forward in this game He's actually been decent defensively though and is make great passes. He must have 2 or 3 assists so far.
Make that 3 or 4 now

manilaNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
The Louis part is totally named after Lou too. Maybe if Bernier wasn't re-signed, the kid would be named something else entirely.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
The Louis part is totally named after Lou too. Maybe if Bernier wasn't re-signed, the kid would be named something else entirely.
He'd be named Is Bernier.

Ilkka Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 03:17 PM
CerebralGenesis

Boarding Bernier?

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Major Bernier

Feed Me A Stray Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 04:32 PM
NjDevsRR

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=9706

Kovy 50.1% its a close one

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Kovy beat Weber? And H Sedin beat Malkin? Now Kovy's beating him?! How bad did Kovy beat Weber?

Old
09-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Kovy beat Weber? And H Sedin beat Malkin? Now Kovy's beating him?! How bad did Kovy beat Weber?
And Datsyuk....

Old
09-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevsRR View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=9706

Kovy 50.1% its a close one
Did everyone in Russia vote during the Weber voting?

I mean I love Kovalchuk but I would pick Datsyuk over him every day of the week and the same for Weber.

Old
09-26-2012, 05:09 PM
hockeyr5

vCash: 891
Just voted Kovy but he is down 51.2 - 48.7

hockeyr5 is offline   Reply With Quote