HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

***NHL 13 Thread*** (Part 7)

View Poll Results: What do you think of NHL 13
Best Game I ever bought 20 7.33%
It is pretty good I like it 147 53.85%
It is okay 60 21.98%
I rather play NHL 12 46 16.85%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2012, 12:10 AM
Petes2424

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra View Post
Okay, this is the first time in 10 years I haven't gotten the game upon release, since I don't have time to play it at the moment.

Is there anything else besides the skating that is a clear improvement over 12? I only play offline Be a GM so couldn't care less about improvements in other areas besides this mode, the presentation and the actual gameplay.

1. Be a GM: Practically the same, waivers needs to be turned off to have a realistic experience and contracts seem even more ridiculous than in 12...

2. Even less ability to edit players, making you have to create instead of edit players who just have the wrong handedness. In 12 they removed the ability to change player types and now they removed even more things. There should be MORE ways to edit the game each year, not less! This is unacceptable.

3. Presentation has the new broadcast cam, anything else? Even shorter breaks between whistles, again something that is reversed from what it should be if you want a more immersive game.

4. Even less penalties than 12? See above.

5. Superhuman goalies who save high percentage chances 9 times out of 10 but let in softies, how is this better than before?

6. Unrealistic hitting physics.

7. Nerfed vision control that is replaced with ability to skate backwards in an unrealistic manner (who does this in real life?).

8. New player potential system that look promising at first but seems to be flawed or possibly bugged. Some players randomly become superstars while others don't develop at all. Like every time EA introduces something new, they either over or under do it.

Anything else that's different that I've missed?

Give me a reason to buy this game.
Dont worry about the waivers. I believe it's only if your playing on rookie, easy or whatever it's called. I'm in 2028 and I've had no great players go through waivers.

I seem to get a lot of penalties for whatever reason, so it probably actually has something to do with how you play the game. I've seen people complain but it's ok.

Some of the hits are good. I use the R3 on playstation and it seems to work fine.

The player potential system seems to be completely random. I have guys who all of a sudden go up 10 pts a year and they've played little, etc. Im still screwing with it. Players do seem to take longer to develop. There's randoms that do progress quick though.

Editing is worse. If you make a trade and it effects your AHL team, it takes you to the roster/linup screen but wont let you in the AHL. You have to go with best lines, which completely screws everything up and then go re-edit.

INJURIES is my big issue. They've made it ridiculous. I literally had 5 players out for 2 months. Would finally get them back for a game or two and here come 5 more injuries. That was with medical fully purchased. I finally turned injuries off and am enjoying it more.

AI is also still a problem and it always will be. It is better in some areas but worse in others.

If you simply sim and never play, it's really no different except for the random growth system. If you play some of the games and enjoy that part, it's worth it.

Old
09-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Hi guys,
Quick question. Is there any way to edit the players supposed to be drafted in the be a GM mode? I can't find a few youngsters/

Last edited by Naoned: 09-26-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old
09-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Spectra
Registered boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Dont worry about the waivers. I believe it's only if your playing on rookie, easy or whatever it's called. I'm in 2028 and I've had no great players go through waivers.

I seem to get a lot of penalties for whatever reason, so it probably actually has something to do with how you play the game. I've seen people complain but it's ok.

Some of the hits are good. I use the R3 on playstation and it seems to work fine.

The player potential system seems to be completely random. I have guys who all of a sudden go up 10 pts a year and they've played little, etc. Im still screwing with it. Players do seem to take longer to develop. There's randoms that do progress quick though.

Editing is worse. If you make a trade and it effects your AHL team, it takes you to the roster/linup screen but wont let you in the AHL. You have to go with best lines, which completely screws everything up and then go re-edit.

INJURIES is my big issue. They've made it ridiculous. I literally had 5 players out for 2 months. Would finally get them back for a game or two and here come 5 more injuries. That was with medical fully purchased. I finally turned injuries off and am enjoying it more.

AI is also still a problem and it always will be. It is better in some areas but worse in others.

If you simply sim and never play, it's really no different except for the random growth system. If you play some of the games and enjoy that part, it's worth it.
Thanks for your breakdown, I've heard different opinions on some things but not everyone sees things the same way.

I will not be getting 13, not for a while and only if they release patches that really improves the game as it plays now. Just having to correct all the rosters and prospects, without the ability to do this without creating a whole bunch of players, is a pretty big deal for me.

I'll just sim the first season in 12 with trades and waivers off and go from there.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:05 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Does anyone know how to save the manual line change setting? I can only access it right before the game starts and I don't see a way to save it.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:31 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Oh hey, just chillin here.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Just won a drop in game 2-1 playing in goal for the first time, had 15 shots, kept a shutout until the last minute when there was massive pressure on my net and a garbage goal because my team decided not to defend

Old
09-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Just won a drop in game 2-1 playing in goal for the first time, had 15 shots, kept a shutout until the last minute when there was massive pressure on my net and a garbage goal because my team decided not to defend
I was saying that I wanted to learn to play Goalie this year after being average last year..

Drop in is just too terrible right now to even try to learn.. You'd end up getting hammered with losses because the cpu goalie plays like lundqvist

Old
09-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I was saying that I wanted to learn to play Goalie this year after being average last year..

Drop in is just too terrible right now to even try to learn.. You'd end up getting hammered with losses because the cpu goalie plays like lundqvist
Luckily I had a decent team, we must have had about 15 breakaways

Old
09-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post

Oh hey, just chillin here.
Nothing to see here

Old
09-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Luckily I had a decent team, we must have had about 15 breakaways
By terrible, I meant that a lot of people can't score on CPU goalies.. So if you have one or two mistakes as a human goalie, the team starts talking **** and eventually start ****ing around

Old
09-26-2012, 01:28 PM
SaNcAlandariel

Quote:
By terrible, I meant that a lot of people can't score on CPU goalies.. So if you have one or two mistakes as a human goalie, the team starts talking **** and eventually start ****ing around
Solo xbox live party as goalie tends to solve my problem of this. I'm still unsure how people can be so annoying on live.

Old
09-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNcAlandariel View Post
Solo xbox live party as goalie tends to solve my problem of this. I'm still unsure how people can be so annoying on live.
I never quite understand why people talk **** to the goalies in drop in games. Goalies can decide so much of the game that you don't really want to piss one off and have him skate behind the net when the play happens because you think the goalie sucks.

Old
09-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNcAlandariel View Post
I am the helpful advice giver when playing the game.

Always play RD and give LD tips to help him get better

Old
09-26-2012, 02:54 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:

Yeah, and if you get mismatched you get freaking pumped for goals because your defense doesn't know how to prevent players from coming to the front and making dangles on you.

You can only do so much as a human goaltender. The difference between humans and CPUs is way too large for there to be any benefit from having a human tendy on your team.

Old
09-26-2012, 04:25 PM
zharkenby

Whats the Deal with the playoffs of Be a GM connected. My injured players arent recovering. For example, it says Wayne simmonds, 2 games, concussion. 2 games later. Wayne Simmonds, 2 games, concussion. WTF

Old
09-26-2012, 04:58 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
Players mature with age, hence better senses.
Yeah, more experience = better recognition. That's one thing.

In reality, someone who's got a 45 rating in the game would have a draft day scouting report that says "defensive liability." Those guys might become adequate or even solid defensive players (75 rating), but they're not winning Selke awards (90+).

Quote:
I'd say that wouldn't work out too well because once one person cracks the code, Be a GM is super easy to build top notch teams
Yeah, there's probably a mathematical way to make it so different combinations of attributes lead to different fulfillments of potential.

Also, could we get a "Quick Invite Club Members" feature? Setting up games is like herding cats.

Old
09-26-2012, 07:40 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Is this reality?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=E5b_wHVCYUk

Old
09-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Martyros

Quote:
I am the helpful advice giver when playing the game.

Always play RD and give LD tips to help him get better
Unfortunately, some of these "defenders" don't give a **** and want to attack and get points.

Old
09-26-2012, 09:39 PM
sailorjerry96

as real as this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMmLyhqXi64

Old
09-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

I'm a newby to EASHL. Pretty good online record 50 wins, 8 losses or something like that. How do I get started on EASHL? Never tried that mode before.

Last edited by Erza Scarlet: 09-26-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old
09-26-2012, 10:30 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
Unfortunately, some of these "defenders" don't give a **** and want to attack and get points.
Some? Try most.

I play LD exclusively, so it is comforting for me to know that whatever drop-in team I am on will have 1 guy who is a stalwart and rock solid.

That being said, even I won't play in front of a human goalie. If the goalie is higher than 65, then I'll stick around. If not, I'll back out before the puck is even dropped. I know there are some phenomenal human goalies out there, but I much prefer/trust this years CPU goalie over any human goalie I have come across in 175+ games I have played, But mostly it's just guys who are pissed they didn't get wing so they punish the team by playing goal.

For EASHL it is never a worry, cause thankfully my team doesn't endorse human g's (playing against 1 our eyes get the size of milk saucers, but having one in our own net will never happen)

Old
09-26-2012, 10:52 PM
RussianRocket10

Is the EASHL lag fixed yet?

Old
09-26-2012, 11:20 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Yikes, the team customization part of the game still sucks badly. They really need to put some effort in there, it's like they take away little things every new release and it really adds up.

My goodness, they completely half assed the prospects too. Murray, Reinheirt and Gaunce weren't drafted after all? What the ****? E: And more. Jesus, I'm not playing this game until they fix the damn rosters.

Last edited by VinnyC: 09-27-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old
09-26-2012, 11:53 PM
Purple hippo

Im getting very annoyed with the lack of penalties, through 7 matches I have a total of 4 powerplays, I take a penalty and Edmonton through 6 has 18....so why am I not getting them? I get crosschecked, checked from behind, roughed, holding, nothing...So glad to see the CPU can still suck me into the boards, love it.

Also, is there a reason Montreal dosnt have any French in their building? Dosnt say Coupe Stanley on the ice, the announcers dont speak it, EA dosnt like realism?

Old
09-26-2012, 11:57 PM
DeadDogs

Want the perfect example as to how gd lazy EA is? In Be a GM, when it shows the list of players retiring, Winnipeg is still at the top of the list. You know, where Atlanta would have been two years ago.

Anyways I have some questions about potential. Are the star ratings set in stone? Like could somebody with 2 stars of potential ever become 3 stars of potential, or are the stars their max ceiling? Can the colour of the stars ever change?

Closed Thread