HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

PPM Part VIII: Sponsor Offers are in for Hockey!

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2012, 09:56 AM
canucks357

vCash: 500
My friend from Switzerland just posted the best player I've ever seen...

15, 6/6, L

OFF: 71 99
SHO: 54 99
PAS: 52 99
TEC: 49 74
AGR: 47 99

Old
09-26-2012, 12:16 PM
tujague

Is anyone around? There's a decent Universal winger on the market. Auction ends in an hour- Hurtaj. I really wanted to bid, but I NEED to get a dman or two this season. Qs are 99O/83Sh/68Ps/91T/78A for an EQ of 87.75. 10M minimum bid is a bit high, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obryantj View Post
I used to play the college basketball sim at simulatedsports.com. It's not as visually appealing as the powerplaymanager games, but it might be something you like. They also have a football game and a horse racing game, although I'm not really familiar with either.
I was really looking for something different. Not another team sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprvilce View Post
Does anyone know the correct tactics and countertactics for powerplay and penatly kill? I've been looking at some game reports and came up with one, not sure if it is correct though:

Shooting from the point > Passive box

Passive box > Overload

Overload > Diamond

Diamond > Umbrella

Umbrella > Active box

Active box > Shooting from the Point
I'm pretty sure canucks and the other Canucks worked something out a long time ago. I've know seen it posted somewhere. I just never bothered. I got 2 PP & 2 PK styles around 100% and was switching them randomly.

EDIT: canucks, that dude only has 371Qs (positional Qs added up. Yep, I just made that up). My boy Jurisic has 373Qs.
Kracitis is close with 366.
Cajko also has 371.
Strelis has 365.
Bulatovic has 374.

Damn. I've put together a pretty good team

Last edited by tujague: 09-26-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old
09-26-2012, 01:19 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujague View Post
EDIT: canucks, that dude only has 371Qs (positional Qs added up. Yep, I just made that up). My boy Jurisic has 373Qs.
Kracitis is close with 366.
Cajko also has 371.
Strelis has 365.
Bulatovic has 374.
You have to weight them more than 1:1:1:1. If you train 2:2:1:1 his EQ is 95 whether he is a C or a W. Plus he's 15 and 6/6 where those are either 16 or 5/6 and of similar OR. Not shooting your players down by any means. Just trying to emphasize how rare of player this is.

Old
09-26-2012, 01:35 PM
saint2e

Man. I'm gonna top 100M in sales today, if things keep going the way they are. AWESOME.

Old
09-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks357 View Post
You have to weight them more than 1:1:1:1. If you train 2:2:1:1 his EQ is 95 whether he is a C or a W. Plus he's 15 and 6/6 where those are either 16 or 5/6 and of similar OR. Not shooting your players down by any means. Just trying to emphasize how rare of player this is.
What you actually need to do is divide by the Q and then make a sum due to the linear way training works in PPM. Assume a 99% Q gives +0.99 for 1 day (then 75% would give +0.75), this means it would take:

2/0.99 + 2/0.99 + 1/0.99 + 0.99 = 6.06 days for a player with all 99% Qs to gain those 6 attribute points.

This guy would need 6.402 days (to make it a percentage I divide the total points target (6) with the sum = 93.7% WQ).

My best prospect 97/93/99/95 would only need 6.275 days (WQ = 95.6%). He is 16, 6/6 but only 267OR.

One bad Q actually ruins a prospect more than you might think.

The PPM eyrie's take on it, relevant text at the end of the post.

On another note, I finally sold my old goalie tandem for a grand total of 9.6M. I've sold a coach for more...

Last edited by Blue Blooded: 09-26-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old
09-26-2012, 03:25 PM
saint2e

Well folks, I started my Training Facility level 15 today... in 119 days, I'll be at maximum training ability...

What do I try to max out next? Regen?

Old
09-26-2012, 04:00 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
One bad Q actually ruins a prospect more than you might think.
I'm very much aware of all of this. But let's emphasize here... 74 is not a bad Q. Whenever I've received players like this from the SA they're always 5/6. I seem to be getting a "he's not that good vibe" from people so forget I mentioned it.

Old
09-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
I'm very much aware of all of this. But let's emphasize here... 74 is not a bad Q. Whenever I've received players like this from the SA they're always 5/6. I seem to be getting a "he's not that good vibe" from people so forget I mentioned it.
Oh, he's very good indeed! In all likelihood better than my prospect considering age and OR. I'm not trying to be "that guy"!

I just felt it was an appropriate moment to talk about EQ evaluation, since you guys seem to use an oversimplified formula. Evaluating players based on faulty data is never good.

When my backup suddenly was better than my starter, someone told me that the lowest attribute actually sets the players performance rating. I resisted changing my training regime for a long time since I had trained all my players weighting in position and Qs, meaning some of them suddenly seemed useless. But I bit the bullet and revamped my formulas. I used to buy mostly good players with one or two bad Qs and then wonder why they turned out awful.

Now I've included experience and chemistry into my player overall calculations as well, since they can impact performance quite a lot. My new 410-105-105 Exp:91 goalie only has a 113 performance rating due to low chemistry, my old 314-157-157 Exp: 61 had 107 with 100 chem.

I've also started to track CL, I used to vastly underrate it's impact.

Old
09-26-2012, 05:09 PM
tujague

The soccer team appears to be on an upswing. I actually won a game where I was dominated as opposed to the usual losing games I dominate. Will it last long enough to keep me in the top 6-7? I doubt it. It's so tight on the second tier that one loss can drop you 4-5 places.

Hockey team still sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint2e View Post
Well folks, I started my Training Facility level 15 today... in 119 days, I'll be at maximum training ability...

What do I try to max out next? Regen?
Give me some money?

Holy crap. Nice arena. I'm usually not too impressed by the effect of a new Regen, but yours is pretty low. I'd get that to 13. Then do HR, I guess?

Quote:
I was just messing. That's exactly the type player I look for all the time, but can never afford (just like that French dman everyone likes. i have 43M in the bank and I know that won't be nearly enough). And 74 isn't really that bad. I have a 21yo 4/6 who trained 78Q at 1.20 last night. I'd love to have that 15yo

Old
09-26-2012, 05:19 PM
tujague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
I just felt it was an appropriate moment to talk about EQ evaluation, since you guys seem to use an oversimplified formula. Evaluating players based on faulty data is never good.
I actually use the simplified version on purpose. I use it as a way to downgrade the player in a way. Most players I buy will have good primaries and one of the secondaries will be the lesser attribute. So I can say someone like canucks player has an EQ of 92.75 knowing full well that he's a lot better than that if you weight the primary & shot higher. I like to underestimate things so I can be pleasantly surprised. Even though I actually know I'm underestimating, so I'm not really. I don't know why I do it this way

I will weight the attributes properly in a tie-breaker type situation. I just post the down & dirty stuff here.

Thanks for the link to the Eyrie again.

Old
09-28-2012, 12:19 PM
saint2e

Anyone in here interested in a GM Connected league on NHL 13 for Xbox?

Old
09-28-2012, 12:23 PM
saint2e

BTW, I have an EQ Calculator setup in the form of an Excel spreadsheet. I do the calculation based on what you feel should be the best build for your players.

i've made it available here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2657879/PPMEQChecker.xlsx

Basically: put in your desired Ratios in rows 6-9 for each position (oh noes you can see mine!), and I've included a handy dandy Pasteable attributes section so that you can quickly check/calculate EQ's for players on the market by copying and pasting that section, or just by manually entering the data.

The EQ's for each position are on the right.

The second worksheet is the one for soccer.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:17 PM
canucks357

Quote:
I would but don't play online. Thanks for the invite though.

Old
09-29-2012, 12:07 PM
tujague

I moved up to 5th place in soccer. I think this is my highest place this season. Probably won't last.

I'll crack 50k seats in 4 days. That'll be nice. Next up is either RF14, HR14, or SA14. I'm not really sure which one to do yet. I haven't gotten a great pull in 2 weeks, so it might be time to get that upgraded

Quote:
I would, but I gave up on the 360 a long time ago. I loved playing online on the original Xbox. So I picked up a 360 after Katrina. I was kind of living all over at that point, so I didn't have a steady internet connection. That meant I couldn't play online, so the 360 didn't get a ton of play. It broke. I had a warranty, so I exchanged it. And got another warranty. It broke. So I exchanged it and got another warranty. It broke again. SO I exchanged it and got another warranty. I'm now what, $600 into the damn thing? It broke again. I made Best Buy give me store credit because I didn't want to touch that piece of crap again. It took about an hour and I had to talk to 4-5 people. I just said "Give me the store credit and I'm going right to the back of the store and getting a TV." They did it.

So, no. I can't be in your GM thingymabob.

EDIT: Does anyone else find it as hard to get dmen as I do? I'm not even looking for elite type guys either. Anything above 85EQ would be good enough for me. All I ever find are centers. I've passed up some great deals because they were C only. And I've got some guys who could play W or C who I made centers. I'm considering switching them back to the W because it's so freaking easy to find Cs. On the other hand, it seems like any dman that I look at goes for ridiculous money.

Last edited by tujague: 09-29-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old
09-29-2012, 08:16 PM
saint2e

Quote:
I moved up to 5th place in soccer. I think this is my highest place this season. Probably won't last.

I'll crack 50k seats in 4 days. That'll be nice. Next up is either RF14, HR14, or SA14. I'm not really sure which one to do yet. I haven't gotten a great pull in 2 weeks, so it might be time to get that upgraded

I would, but I gave up on the 360 a long time ago. I loved playing online on the original Xbox. So I picked up a 360 after Katrina. I was kind of living all over at that point, so I didn't have a steady internet connection. That meant I couldn't play online, so the 360 didn't get a ton of play. It broke. I had a warranty, so I exchanged it. And got another warranty. It broke. So I exchanged it and got another warranty. It broke again. SO I exchanged it and got another warranty. I'm now what, $600 into the damn thing? It broke again. I made Best Buy give me store credit because I didn't want to touch that piece of crap again. It took about an hour and I had to talk to 4-5 people. I just said "Give me the store credit and I'm going right to the back of the store and getting a TV." They did it.

So, no. I can't be in your GM thingymabob.

EDIT: Does anyone else find it as hard to get dmen as I do? I'm not even looking for elite type guys either. Anything above 85EQ would be good enough for me. All I ever find are centers. I've passed up some great deals because they were C only. And I've got some guys who could play W or C who I made centers. I'm considering switching them back to the W because it's so freaking easy to find Cs. On the other hand, it seems like any dman that I look at goes for ridiculous money.
I agree with you. Because you're really looking at 5 attributes instead of the normal 4, and in the case of goalies, 3...

Old
09-30-2012, 04:11 PM
tujague

Good luck, doug! You're getting my best lineup, which I don't always use, except McCready is suspended for two games. Sember and Lemieux have been very solid #2s this season. Hopefully they can combine to make a decent #1

Quote:
I agree with you. Because you're really looking at 5 attributes instead of the normal 4, and in the case of goalies, 3...
That's the thing. I don't even look for the full 5! Heck, I don't always look for the perfect 4 as long as the Tech Q isn't horrible. I've got 5 or 6 more in the scouting queue. Crossing my fingers that one of them pans out, but I'd love to get 2 more. Of course, I'll probably end up with another C instead

Old
10-02-2012, 03:34 PM
doug5984

Send a message via AIM to doug5984
The Delicate Rebuild

(This is more just a thinking out loud post - but any advice would be appreciated)

So I'm sort of a cross roads with my soccer team- I have what I consider and aging roster, lesser facilities, and am trying to play catch up with the big boys. At some point I have to make a move to catch them or they'll continue to stay ahead with higher facilities, and the ability to spend more on the market. I've been thinking about this- and a complete rebuild and handing of the torch to the juniors won't do me much good as I'd have to drop down to II and spend a few season, I'd like to avoid that at all costs. However, I have to make some sort of move to get a significant influx of cash to get an extra bump in facilities while keeping my roster strong enough to compete, and young enough to stick around for a while. Getting my facilities higher will allow me to spend more on the market and improve my roster that route instead of going nearly 100% home-grown.

This is what I'm working with, as well as my thoughts:

Linton is the man, and my backup Miller isn't a long term answer- he has simply been a long term backup. My long term answer is only 16, and still quite a ways away. I feel if I dropped Linton the drop off would be too significant, so he is a player I'm going to keep- however Miller can be sold, and probably for a few million. I'd feel confortable rolling with 3 goalies, or buying another "long-term" guy with an AQ of 77+

The D-
The weak link if you will.

Handy has been great to me, but I feel he would be serve me on the market, and hand the torch to Hemphill, who in time would split time with Gage as I continue to run with only 3 defenders. Blazenko will be sold at some point as I simply don't see any long term spot for him on the roster, I'd need to fill their vacancies with young players who have a spot on the team long term. The 2 15 year olds are simply being trained to sell, and quickly. Hemphill, Gage, Finlay will give me great depth for years to come.

SD is a mess, and I don't think I can sell anyone a this point without giving up too much depth. Ken Taylor will however be the first to go, but only once Garza is ready to push Brandon for playing time. This is an area I have to improve my long term skill at, Fulcenek would be the fall guy to make room for a younger kid to take the spot. Bryan Bow is a stud, and will anchor my defense for years to come.

The midfield- where it all happens.

CM - This is the deepest area of my team, and I really like what I have. However I have to sell some people to get the cash needed to upgrade my facilities and I see Denton as the guy that can go. He is only 19, but at 4/6 already he may be passed before long and I feel confident rolling with Sylvester / Clark / Izarry here. Which brings me to Dupree, he is also 4/6 at 19, but there is a significant drop off behind him. I'd probably look to sell him as well and in the event of an injury I could always go with 2, or even 1 CM if I had to. Manley is solid long term, and I'd like to add one more player like him.

SM- This is a weak spot, which leaves my hands tied. I need Ruthledge and Wells to start as I can't go with the 2 guys below them, those 2 guys are not starter material- and most likely never will be on my team. I need to get some younger guys to begin training so that I can replace them as backups. This will be the hardest area to improve on my team, and will take some time because of how limited I am to move guys.

F- another bright spot on the roster.
I can't get rid of Cabay, he simply brings too much to the roster, and has been such a great player for me. However, Henry is absolutely the type of player I'm looking to move, he is very skilled and the starter- but the guys behind him will be passing him before long and I would still have a depth player as a backup. The two foreign guys have no future on my roster, and I'd need to sell them at some point and bring in better backups / future starts.

In summary- the "good" players to be sold would be
Miller, Handy, Denton, Dupree, Henry

I'd have to hope this would bring enough $, along with a loan and what I have in the bank to get a kick start on facilities. I'm not sure if that is even a viable option.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

This isn't something I'm considering doing right now, but in the foreseeable future. I feel I need to make the moves to improve the facilities, and then once that is done I can throw the money on the roster. Playing from behind with the human resources / training facility will keep me at a disadvantage, and I'd have to hope teams above me go inactive as I simply continue to slowly improve. The delicate rebuild would offer my team a kick start if I could survive a few seasons on the patched roster while I continue to pray for pulls and save up to buy some better players that fit my needs. U don't know, maybe I'll continue on the current path. Just needed to think out loud for a minute

Old
10-02-2012, 08:30 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5984 View Post
(This is more just a thinking out loud post - but any advice would be appreciated)
Wow. You have some great talent. Was looking at their Qs and you have some talented individuals. I'm with you in regards to selling your backup. He'll never surpass your starter so may as well sell him. I'd recommend carrying 3 GKs. That's plenty. I former number 1 was passed by my number 2 who in a few seasons will be passed by my number three. I should have just played my number 3 all this year for the exp since he's strong enough to win in div2, but once the number 2 was challenging for the clean sheet trophy I didn't have the heart to deny him of that.

In general, if you want to rebuild, sell anyone 4/6 or worse. Depending on the magnitude of your rebuild you could sell all 5/6 who are destined for 4/6 soon. However 4/6 and mediocre OR won't fetch that much - it's a tough call.

Old
10-03-2012, 04:46 PM
tujague

Quote:
That's the thing. I don't even look for the full 5! Heck, I don't always look for the perfect 4 as long as the Tech Q isn't horrible. I've got 5 or 6 more in the scouting queue. Crossing my fingers that one of them pans out, but I'd love to get 2 more. Of course, I'll probably end up with another C instead
I bought another C. But it's worse than that. I bought a C who I will have to convert from defense! I'm such a damn fool. And I let several other good forwards go with lower bids than I would expect because I was waiting to bid on a dman. Eff me.

I think I'm going to have to start searching for dmen only. Why haven't I done this in the past? Cause I'm a retard.

Old
10-03-2012, 06:30 PM
canucks357

Quote:
I bought another C. But it's worse than that. I bought a C who I will have to convert from defense! I'm such a damn fool. And I let several other good forwards go with lower bids than I would expect because I was waiting to bid on a dman. Eff me.

I think I'm going to have to start searching for dmen only. Why haven't I done this in the past? Cause I'm a retard.
Could be worse... could be a ruh-tard a la "The Hangover"...

Old
10-05-2012, 12:17 PM
suprvilce

You probably won't belive this, but few days back i found a nice looking 15 year old defenceman and i thought this would be just what tujague is looking for. I alredy copied the link to his profile to post it here, but he only had about 30 min left before deadline and i thougt, meh you won't see this post in time anyway. Well i did find another solid defender you might like, Jaroslav Lysáček. I hope this doesn't violate any "no advertising" rules or something like that.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:08 PM
canucks357

Quote:
I hope this doesn't violate any "no advertising" rules or something like that.
What no advertising rules? Not sure what you're referencing here *but* this is not a PPM-regulated site so we have to abide by HF's rules not PPM's... though both are generally good practice

Old
10-05-2012, 01:15 PM
suprvilce

Yeah but you never know, i like to be cautious

Old
10-07-2012, 12:55 PM
tujague

Quote:
You probably won't belive this, but few days back i found a nice looking 15 year old defenceman and i thought this would be just what tujague is looking for. I alredy copied the link to his profile to post it here, but he only had about 30 min left before deadline and i thougt, meh you won't see this post in time anyway. Well i did find another solid defender you might like, Jaroslav Lysáček. I hope this doesn't violate any "no advertising" rules or something like that.
I'm watching I'll be shocked if he ends up affordable. But he is the type of player that I might blow most of my money on. 6 minutes to go and I have the high bid at 5.5M. I've only got 32M, but I'll probably have to stop at 25M just to keep something in the bank. I expect things to get pretty ugly in a few minutes.

Under 4 minutes and no other bids. It would be crazy good luck to get this guy. I was working on the roof and came down to take a break to get ready for football. If I hadn't still been logged in from this morning, I never would have looked at this auction. Surely this means he's mine. It's destiny, right?

Shoot. Gladiadores is in on it. Approaching 13M already.

I meant 14. 15. 18. 22. 24. 26.5. Gladiadores keeps bidding with 55 seconds left?!?

29.2M. Already passed my limit. Duh. 32.2M. That's all I have. Dammit. ****. He bid again

Last edited by tujague: 10-07-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old
10-07-2012, 01:09 PM
suprvilce

Quote:
I'm watching I'll be shocked if he ends up affordable. But he is the type of player that I might blow most of my money on. 6 minutes to go and I have the high bid at 5.5M. I've only got 32M, but I'll probably have to stop at 25M just to keep something in the bank. I expect things to get pretty ugly in a few minutes.

Under 4 minutes and no other bids. It would be crazy good luck to get this guy. I was working on the roof and came down to take a break to get ready for football. If I hadn't still been logged in from this morning, I never would have looked at this auction. Surely this means he's mine. It's destiny, right?

Shoot. Gladiadores is in on it. Approaching 13M already.

I meant 14. 15. 18. 22. 24. 26.5. Gladiadores keeps bidding with 55 seconds left?!?
Well i see bids are already at over 30M. It's funny how you can bid for someone with 150 hours to go and in the last two minutes 5 other teams come and outbid you. There was another solid defenceman that went for under 12M 3 hours sooner too.

Closed Thread