HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Signing '04 draft picks

Old
03-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Dizzy

vCash: 500
Signing '04 draft picks

I know there are still a few months till the deadline to sign 2004 draft picks but was just wondering if there was any news about the Hawks attempting to sign their picks. I'm a Windsor Spitfire fan and we have 3 Chicago picks (Garlock, Maunu and Bickell). Are you guys expecting them all to be signed?

Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2006, 05:37 PM
Hawkster
Got Cup?

Bickell will be signed. I've no doubt about that - Director of Hockey Operations, Stan Bowman praised him in a recent HawkCast, saying that he was finally showing some consistency.

The other two are only maybes.

There are only so many places to be had, and Bolland, Blunden, Brouwer and a few European prospects probably have the jump on Garlock and Maunu.

50/50 at best.

Hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Teemu

I expect Garlock and Bickell to be signed. Not so sure about Maunu though.

Along with those guys, Nordqvist, Malmivaara, Brouwer, and Bolland will probably also be signed

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2006, 02:37 AM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
I expect all three from the Spitfires to be signed... Mitch Maunu is one of the most underrated defenceman in the ohl... Also a outside chance of Trevor Kell being signed too...

ReLyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2006, 06:32 AM
Belizarius

Send a message via MSN to Belizarius
Recap :

3 D Cam Barker
32 C David Bolland
41 L Bryan Bickell
45 C Ryan Garlock
54 C Jakub Sindel
68 L Adam Berti
120 D Mitch Maunu
123 L Karel Hromas
131 R Trevor Kell
140 C Jake Dowell
165 L Scott McCulloch
196 C Petri Kontiola
214 R Troy Brouwer
223 C Jared Walker
229 C Eric Hunter
256 R Matt Ford
260 R Marko Anttila

Belizarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2006, 08:19 AM
Hawkster
Got Cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLyT
I expect all three from the Spitfires to be signed... Mitch Maunu is one of the most underrated defenceman in the ohl... Also a outside chance of Trevor Kell being signed too...
I don't share your confidence. The next two off seasons will see a big influx of prospects into Norfolk and Chicago - particularly at forward. Places will be at a premium.

With the number of decent D'men the Hawks have in the system, Maunu in particular is up against it - He had an awful camp last year. I know there were reasons for it, but he was awful.

Out of the 14 players who have to be signed or let go, every indication from the Hawks (Stan Bowman on HawkCast) is that only half of them (roughly) will be kept.

Here are the 14, and my opinion judged on what has been said by Tallon and Bowman on HawkCast.

Berti - Maybe
Bickell - Certain
Bolland - Certain
Brouwer - Certain
Burish - Good chance (The Hawks top brass seem to like him..)
Garlock - Maybe
Jaaskelainen - Doubtful. The long injury lay off may have put paid to his chances.
Kantee - No
Kell - Maybe
Malmivaara - Good Chance - 6ft 7inch D'men don't grow on trees. Played on #1 pair for his Finnish team this season.
Maunu - Maybe
Nordquist - Almost Certain - Will get an offer. Might not take it
Viuhkola - Almost Certain - Same as Nordquist.
Wennerberg - No

That leaves four or five good prospects fighting it out for 2 or 3 spots, depending on the Nordquist and Viuhkola situations.

Old
03-31-2006, 10:19 AM
Dizzy

Wow, not really what I was expecting, but then I'm not that aware of the Hawks prospect depth, and they did have a lot of good picks in '04.

I can't say a lot about Bickell as he's only been in Windsor a couple months, but he has a wicked shot from the point when it's on target and he's the Spits leading scorer in the playoffs.

Garlock has really matured his game this season. He's offense is down from prior years but he's really improved his defense. He's one of the Spits top penalty killers and is always on the ice at the end of the game in close games. He said recently he knows that only so many guys can make it to the next level based on offense and is trying to adjust his game to do whatever it takes to reach the NHL.

I agree with ReLyT that Maunu is underrated. He's a heart and soul team guy, great leader. In this season's coach's poll for the western conference Maunu was voted 3rd most underrated player, 2nd best penalty killer and 3rd best defensive defenseman.

I hope you guys are wrong, but if you're not Windsor will be glad to take any of these guys back next year. Thanks for your insight, it will be interesting to see what happens with all those draft picks needing to be signed.

Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2006, 11:17 AM
Hawkster
Got Cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
Garlock has really matured his game this season. He's offense is down from prior years but he's really improved his defense. He's one of the Spits top penalty killers and is always on the ice at the end of the game in close games. He said recently he knows that only so many guys can make it to the next level based on offense and is trying to adjust his game to do whatever it takes to reach the NHL.
I'm glad to hear that his game has matured.

I haven't got to see him at all, and although numbers can be misleading as to how a prospect is shaping up, Garlock's drop off was a bit of a concern to me.

With so many draft choices still to be signed, there are a lot of decisions for the Hawks brass to make in the next couple of years - It'll be interesting.

Old
04-02-2006, 10:22 PM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
Mitch Maunu has been Windsors best player all playoffs so far...

ReLyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2006, 06:33 PM
psukan

What about Jakub Sindel?? Where does he fit in (if at all)?

psukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Teemu

I don't know... but he doesn't have to be signed this year, so we'll worry about that later. He hasn't been overly impressive in Europe so far.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2006, 09:30 PM
Hawkhead

Bickell put up amazing numbers with the Spits and thrust himself into the top 20 scorers, i expect him to be in the NHL next yearo r the year after whether it be call-up or permanently. With his size he should fit in good in the N

Hawkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2006, 10:49 PM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psukan
What about Jakub Sindel?? Where does he fit in (if at all)?
He should be signed. He has top notch skill but needs to develop his defensive game. It would be wise to retain his rights and let him mature in the Czech leagues for a few seasons. If the Hawks don't sign him, someone else definitly will.

mazmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 08:10 AM
Taze

I'm pretty sure they'll sign Kontiola. Konna had an excellent season in Finland and is ready to move NA.

Taze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Hawkster
Got Cup?

Kontiola and Sindel don't have to be signed until 2008.

I think they'll both stay in Europe for one more year (maybe two years for Sindel).

Old
04-10-2006, 09:18 AM
gib

There are strong rumous that Kontiola is heading to NA. I think that he will at least take a part of prospect/training camp. Depending how it goes and what he feels is best for him he might head back to home or stay in NA.

Malmivaara will come to NA, that is almous 100% sure.

Salmelainen is pretty sure case too.

Viuhkola. Rumours say that he will leave to NA. I would say his situation is lot like Kontiola`s.

gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 12:33 PM
slebbeog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gib
Viuhkola. Rumours say that he will leave to NA. I would say his situation is lot like Kontiola`s.
Some rumours here (Oulu) keep stating the same, on the exception, that the team wouldn't be Chicago.

slebbeog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 12:12 PM
pihinalle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambonidriver²
Some rumours here (Oulu) keep stating the same, on the exception, that the team wouldn't be Chicago.
Well, Chicago has his rights so he should be traded first.

pihinalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 04:30 PM
GlueleG

Is Jake Dowell expected to be signed?

GlueleG is offline   Reply With Quote