HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part V

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2012, 04:59 PM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

vCash: 500
Seattle makes sense to me as a NHL market. I had them getting a team back in the early 90's when the NHL was expanding. I think Quebec City ends up with the Coyotes and Seattle would get a franchise through expansion. No idea what city would get the 32nd franchise (Toronto 2, Houston and Kansas City would be my top 3 choices).

09-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
The city/county can still KILL the proposal if they feel the environmental review comes bad really negative hence the 2nd vote.
The only endangered species in SODO are Mariners fans.

Old
09-26-2012, 05:09 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear SUV View Post
The only endangered species in SODO are Mariners fans.
LOL but its only endangered species cause of the organization.

Old
09-26-2012, 05:11 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Seattle Mets. Goodness
ugh.... my hatred of the (New York) Mets is the main reason why I'm against the idea of Seattle reviving the Metropolitans moniker if they ever get a team. If their shorthand was Metros, I'd be cool with it.... but let's face it. Has to be only one syllable, in all likelihood.

I prefer the Thunderbirds or Breakers, but heck.... I'd even take the freaking Totems over the Mets!

Old
09-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I suggest that Seattle's sports market is at saturation in this economy. They have the NFL and MLB.
Not saturated at all. Seattle has led MLB, NBA, and MLS in total attendance multiple times, sold out a majority of NFL games, and led Pac-10 in total attendance over the last 25 years.

People angry at Mariners ownership really want NBA back and the NHL to come too. There are over 4,000,000 people in the area, and growing.

Old
09-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
LOL but its only endangered species cause of the organization.
I am boycotting them myself for anti-NBA/NHL stance and general ineptitude. My baseball $ went to Tacoma this summer.

Old
09-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Nuclear SUV

Other nickname ideas:

Sea Lions
Orcas
Admirals
Pilots
Tsunami
Steelhead
Volcanoes
Black Bears

Old
09-26-2012, 05:23 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

TBQH, Orcas is a name I've thought of as well that makes sense.... but as long as Vancouver has their current logos on their sweaters, I sort of doubt that a Seattle-based team would go that route.... or heck, anyone else.

How about Seattle Sasquatches? And no, I don't care about Colorado's secondary logo. Doesn't even make sense for where they are.

Old
09-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post

How about Seattle Sasquatches?
Heck no! I'd riot over that. Can't believe Animal Planet is murdering their rep with that fantasy nonsense.

Old
09-26-2012, 05:28 PM
gstommylee

Personally if i can't have Metropolitans. I'll go with Steelhead myself. It gives a nice ring to the name plus you can get a good logo out of it too.

Old
09-26-2012, 05:30 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Heck no! I'd riot over that. Can't believe Animal Planet is murdering their rep with that fantasy nonsense.
No clue what they're doing, but Washington state is the epicenter of Bigfoot sightings, after all....

.... so it would be a topical name choice....

Old
09-26-2012, 05:34 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
I'm walking through the woods and I hear a branch crack. My first thought is sasquatch, obviously.

Old
09-26-2012, 05:36 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
No clue what they're doing, but Washington state is the epicenter of Bigfoot sightings, after all....

.... so it would be a topical name choice....
They basically go around looking for sasquatch and every time they hear something in the woods they track it thinking it could be sasquatch. It belongs on TLC right between Toddlers and Tiaras and Honey Boo Boo.

Old
09-26-2012, 05:50 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
They basically go around looking for sasquatch and every time they hear something in the woods they track it thinking it could be sasquatch. It belongs on TLC right between Toddlers and Tiaras and Honey Boo Boo.
They're just wasting their time then. Everybody knows that Sassafras hangs out with Tenacious D in his spare time.

Or writing surprisingly brilliant autobiographies.

Old
09-26-2012, 06:42 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

If no thunderbirds or totems, then I like sockeye/steelhead

Old
09-26-2012, 07:13 PM
DelpoRafaKilla

Metropolitans is such a lame name. We don't need it in a post Thrashers era.

Old
09-26-2012, 07:26 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelpoRafaKilla View Post
Metropolitans is such a lame name. We don't need it in a post Thrashers era.
Hansen disagrees. If he was gonna be owner of the NHL team he would gone with Seattle Metroplitans.

Old
09-26-2012, 09:04 PM
fatschoonerrat

Emeralds

Schooners
Steamers

^^^ "Given Seattle’s heavy reliance on cars and buses today, it is almost impossible to imagine that transportation for over 75 years to and from Seattle was once done exclusively by water. A vast fleet of small steamships, known collectively as the Mosquito Fleet, took passengers and freight to hundreds of docks in Puget Sound from the late 1800’s to the 1930’s. In 1888, the first ferry service transported passengers between West Seattle and downtown Seattle." http://www.loghousemuseum.info/exhib...-west-seattle/

Thunderbirds

Pilots (air or sea) -- I really like reintroducing the Pilots name but in the maritime sense. Pilots on the water are people who guide ships in inland waters as they come in to port. Pilot schooners were some of the prettiest and fastest boats on the water a hundred or so years ago. I could see some nice branding around something like this.

Old
09-26-2012, 09:34 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
Steamers
That name is permanently reserved until Cleveland comes to their senses and names one of their current or possible future teams that. My vote is for the Browns since it's almost the same thing already.

Old
09-26-2012, 09:48 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
ugh.... my hatred of the (New York) Mets is the main reason why I'm against the idea of Seattle reviving the Metropolitans moniker if they ever get a team. If their shorthand was Metros, I'd be cool with it.... but let's face it. Has to be only one syllable, in all likelihood.

I prefer the Thunderbirds or Breakers, but heck.... I'd even take the freaking Totems over the Mets!
Would definitely love to see the Totems come back.

Old
09-26-2012, 10:29 PM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
That name is permanently reserved until Cleveland comes to their senses and names one of their current or possible future teams that. My vote is for the Browns since it's almost the same thing already.
Could you imagine the merchandise sales? Forget Macon Whoopee.

Old
09-26-2012, 10:33 PM
gstommylee

http://seattletimes.com/html/sounder...th_on_att.html

Sounders Majority owner Joe Roth was asked about the sodo arena and he gets its.

Quote:
(Are you comfortable with the potential for an NBA team and/or NHL team in the neighborhood?) "I am. I think it's great. I don't think traffic (will be an issue). It will have less affect on us frankly than the Mariners just in terms of the number of games (on the same day). Listen, this city should have a basketball team. I was around when that all went down and I don't think it was the NBA's finest hour. I think the city deserves a basketball team."
Quote:
(Would it be more competition for filling seats or for things like TV/sponsorships?) "I think with TV deals, there's a way to make that all work together, which is an advantage to it. Sponsorships? Sure, it'll be competitive, but most of the time the sponsors that we have stick around. ... I think that'll be true with basketball or hockey, as well. It's a great sports town. I grew up in New York and I live in L.A. and I can't even count the number of sports there are. For this place to only have three sports is undeserved."

Old
09-26-2012, 10:35 PM
silvercanuck

Metropolitans is antiquated and confusing because of the team in NY. Another big problem is the inability to translate the name to a logo. How do you draw a "Metropolitan" without using a boring city skyline as the theme? I think this will a major consideration to whoever wants to bring the NHL to Seattle.

Totems is a unique name with local flavour and history that people were alive to see. It also has excellent potential for a logo.

Old
09-26-2012, 10:43 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
Metropolitans is antiquated and confusing because of the team in NY. Another big problem is the inability to translate the name to a logo. How do you draw a "Metropolitan" without using a boring city skyline as the theme? I think this will a major consideration to whoever wants to bring the NHL to Seattle.

Totems is a unique name with local flavour and history that people were alive to see. It also has excellent potential for a logo.
Seattle does have a fairly iconic skyline with the Space Needle and Mount Rainier in the background but yeah, Metropolitans is a pretty boring name.

Old
09-26-2012, 10:45 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post

We'll see once the owner of said NHL team is revealed and we get a team.

Not all team names and logos make sense. Just look at Miami's baseball team logo ugh. Their previous logo before they rebranded made better sense.

Closed Thread