HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilerrrr I Mean Barons '12-13 Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2012, 01:04 AM
Kayen
Fire Eakins

vCash: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I want the prospects to earn their ice time, not have it fed to them.
This. Let them fight for it. Prove their worth.

Old
09-26-2012, 04:19 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Green is a better AHL player than Lander at this point. He will see a lot of ice-time, which is probably good for the development of guys like Hartikainen and Pitlick.
It could easily be argued that Byers and Arcobello are > Hartikainen and Pitlick at this level as well:

Byers 61gp. 16-23-39

Vs.

Hartikainen 51gp. 14-18-32

And

Arcobello 73gp. 17-26-43

Vs.

Pitlick 62gp. 7-16-23

I'd prefer seeing our young guys playing together and building chemistry on a line than having Harski and Pitlick with Green all year long.

09-26-2012, 05:17 AM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
How about we look at it in a developmental light:

Paajarvi-RNH-Eberle
Hartikainen-Lander-Pitlick (could be our future 3rd line)
Byers-Green-Arcobello (AHL line)
Cornet/Hamilton-Vande Velde-Tyrvainen

This way IMO the younger legit NHL prospects get time together to get used to each other. IMO Lander has more offensive ability than he showed last season and playing with Harski and Pitlick that would be one tough to play against line.
I was basing this off of Nelly's comments when he said that Green will likely be in a top 6 with Pitlick.

As far as Lander and his offensive upside, this is the season that he will prove his worth. He knows what to expect in the league after the playoff run, so hopefully that translates to better numbers.

Old
09-26-2012, 05:54 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
I'd prefer seeing our young guys playing together and building chemistry on a line than having Harski and Pitlick with Green all year long.
That's fair enough up to a point. Hockey isn't all about chemistry and I think there are definitely good reasons to play some prospects (esp guys like Pitlick, MPS and Lander) with the veteran AHL guys like Green.

Personally I think Baronsfan lineup is closer to what we see than the one you proposed.

Imagine the kind of damage Eberle is going to do in this league.
Is watching that going to be worth paying for a crappy AHL feed ...
And more importantly, would buying that crappy AHL feed = me supporting the Katz group ....

Old
09-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Rishaug
Taylor Hall to be cleared to play in roughly three weeks. Then he needs to find a place to play. AHL not looking like an option. Europe? Deadline to assign players has come and gone, and signing Hall to AHL deal doesn’t appear to be an option, so no way to get him there.
Hmm, wonder why we can't sign him to an AHL deal.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Oilerdiehard

Only 23 days until the OKC fans get to see the young NHL stars live. I was surprised when I noticed that just now. We are nearly into October and they have wait nearly a month to watch the guys play. As the Barons start their first week of games on the road. Also the Barons play no pre-season games, bet they are kicking themselves on that account.

Edit - A friend on twitter in OKC is saying he is hearing something about them adding a couple preseason games. I just found the news announcing this a few days back (strangely it is not prominent the Barons main page or listed in their schedule on the site, but rather buried back in the news area). Sweet. I would have been scrambling for some preseason games too (most AHL teams down south anyway only play 1 or 2 preseason games) with all the excitement that should be around Ebs, RNH etc...

Quote:
The Oklahoma City Barons are hosting two preseason games against the Houston Aeros on Friday, October 5 and Saturday, October 6 at 7 p.m. at the Cox Convention Center, the team’s front office announced today.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 09-26-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old
09-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
I didn't take it as that he can't be signed to an AHL deal but rather that he's not interested in signing an AHL deal.

Old
09-26-2012, 01:20 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
If I'm not mistaken he loses the benefit of burning a ELC year like the other guys. So maybe Hall wants to make the most of this year, whether it's for the experience or for the level of play or even the money he might get in Europe.

edit: Actually, I think everyone loses a year if the lockout goes a full year... So scratch that.

Last edited by 40oz: 09-26-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old
09-26-2012, 01:22 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Only 23 days until the OKC fans get to see the young NHL stars live. I was surprised when I noticed that just now. We are nearly into October and they have wait nearly a month to watch the guys play. As the Barons start their first week of games on the road. Also the Barons play no pre-season games, bet they are kicking themselves on that account.

Seriously? Why no preseason games?

Old
09-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronsfan View Post
I was basing this off of Nelly's comments when he said that Green will likely be in a top 6 with Pitlick.

As far as Lander and his offensive upside, this is the season that he will prove his worth. He knows what to expect in the league after the playoff run, so hopefully that translates to better numbers.
Nelson sounds like he already has a good idea of the lineup that he's going to ice by the sounds of things. I know he has already mentioned that Schultz and Marincin will be a pair as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
That's fair enough up to a point. Hockey isn't all about chemistry and I think there are definitely good reasons to play some prospects (esp guys like Pitlick, MPS and Lander) with the veteran AHL guys like Green.

Personally I think Baronsfan lineup is closer to what we see than the one you proposed.

Imagine the kind of damage Eberle is going to do in this league.
Is watching that going to be worth paying for a crappy AHL feed ...
And more importantly, would buying that crappy AHL feed = me supporting the Katz group ....
Based on what Nelson himself has said I'd agree that Baronsfan lineup will be closer. I'd prefer keeping the NHL prospects together, however a guy like Pitlick could really benefit from playing with Green in particular if Lander struggles offensively. Not sure what % of revenue would go to the Katz group TBH.

Old
09-26-2012, 03:24 PM
doubledown99

Regarding Hall I'm going to assume he isn't eligible for the AHL for some reason. Cuz from financial standpoint I think playing there is best because he burns his final elc year and playing down there he doesn't have to worry about getting insurance which is super costly for these guys. For example I read that Spezza, Nash and J Thornton r basically playing for free in Europe because they had to purchase insurance which basically costs them the same amount of salary they r making over there. Crosby's agent was on Team 1260 and said it would cost Sid $400k per month in insurance if he played in different league

Old
09-26-2012, 06:57 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

Do the Barons have a training camp? When does that start?

Old
09-26-2012, 06:58 PM
SephF
Visually Better

That would really suck if Hall isn't eligible for an AHL contract and the deadline has passed to sign in Europe...

What is he going to do? Miss an entire year of hockey because of red tape?

Old
09-26-2012, 07:06 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
That would really suck if Hall isn't eligible for an AHL contract and the deadline has passed to sign in Europe...

What is he going to do? Miss an entire year of hockey because of red tape?
Heal and hit the gym?

Old
09-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
do the barons have a training camp? When does that start?
9/29 iirc

Old
09-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Seriously? Why no preseason games?
I believe it was the same deal last year. They got smoked 7-0 in their first game, without the benefit of full team practices beforehand.

Maybe AHL preseason games aren't financially feasible, or logically necessary, what with final NHL cuts and AHL assignments happening right before the start of the season. Maybe the thought process is that things will come together in the first week or two of the season.

Old
09-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermullet View Post
I believe it was the same deal last year. They got smoked 7-0 in their first game, without the benefit of full team practices beforehand.

Maybe AHL preseason games aren't financially feasible, or logically necessary, what with final NHL cuts and AHL assignments happening right before the start of the season. Maybe the thought process is that things will come together in the first week or two of the season.
The Barons actually host two preseason games this season against Houston, Oct. 5th & 6th. They hosted one with Houston last year, and none the first season.

Old
09-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronsfan View Post
The Barons actually host two preseason games this season against Houston, Oct. 5th & 6th. They hosted one with Houston last year, and none the first season.
They will play Houston 14 times this season (including the 2 preseason games) and faced them in the playoffs last season. This could end up being one hell of a heated rivalry.

Old
09-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Koto

Quote:
They will play Houston 14 times this season (including the 2 preseason games) and faced them in the playoffs last season. This could end up being one hell of a heated rivalry.
seriously? 12 reg seasons games vs one team?

and i thought the nhl experiment with 8 was too much...

Old
09-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Bouch1337

deleted

Old
09-26-2012, 08:45 PM
RipsADrive
Draft Dynasty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post

There's not as much money in the AHL.

It's probably much too cost prohibitive to fly the teams all around the country to face all the other teams.

Old
09-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post

From earlier in the thread:

Per the Barons website: Oklahoma City will play 44 of its 76 games against its South Division opponents, the Houston Aeros (12 games), San Antonio Rampage (12 games), Texas Stars (12 games) and Charlotte Checkers (8 games).

They also play:
Milwaukee 4 times
Grand Rapids 4 times
Lake Eerie 4 times
Abbotsford 4 times
Chicago 4 times
Rockford 4 times

That's a total of 68 of 76 games against 10 opponents.

So who do these teams have that are down there or coming down that would give the Barons fits?

Last years records for these teams:

'11-12 Season All Teams Played 76 games
San Antonio (Florida) 87 points 197GF 204GA
Houston (Minnesota) 86 points 202GF 206GA
Texas (Stars) 67 points 224GF 251GA
Charlotte (Carolina) 85 points 209GF 214GA
Milwaukee (Nashville) 87 points 210GF 190GA
Abbotsford (Calgary) 92 points 200GF 201GA
Grand Rapids (Detroit) 77 points 245GF 249GA
Chicago (Vancouver) 91 points 213GF 193GA
Rockford (Chicago) 79 points 207GF 228GA
Lake Eerie (Colorado) 84 points 189GF 210GA

Old
09-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

This is ****ing sweet. I live in Houston and can watch the Aeros play the Barons on Nov 29 and Nov 30. Hopefully the lockout lasts that long! I can finally see Eberle, Nuge, and Hall play. FINALLY. And...I'll be paying about 10 bucks for tickets. This all just worked out perfectly.

Old
09-26-2012, 10:06 PM
RipsADrive
Draft Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
This is ****ing sweet. I live in Houston and can watch the Aeros play the Barons on Nov 29 and Nov 30. Hopefully the lockout lasts that long! I can finally see Eberle, Nuge, and Hall play. FINALLY. And...I'll be paying about 10 bucks for tickets. This all just worked out perfectly.

Old
09-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
Don't hold your breath for Hall to play, it sounds like he will have to play overseas.

Closed Thread