HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Players who disappeared due to personal reasons

Old
09-26-2012, 02:21 AM
nutbar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post

If this thread has proven anything, it’s that maybe I cited the only three real examples of a player mysteriously leaving, making everyone go “huh? Where did he go? And why??”
How about Gilles Gratton?

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 06:04 AM
MS

Anyone know what happened here?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=8807

Assume it must have been an injury ... but there's nothing written about any of the circumstances of Gauveau leaving the sport anywhere on the internet. Even hockeydraftcentral.com, which is normally brilliant for small details on 1970s-1980s players, has absolutely nothing on him.

Strange because he was obviously an outstanding prospect who was drafted #31 overall and played in the NHL at age 19.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 07:11 AM
Canadiens1958

Jocelyn Gauvreau

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Anyone know what happened here?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=8807

Assume it must have been an injury ... but there's nothing written about any of the circumstances of Gauveau leaving the sport anywhere on the internet. Even hockeydraftcentral.com, which is normally brilliant for small details on 1970s-1980s players, has absolutely nothing on him.

Strange because he was obviously an outstanding prospect who was drafted #31 overall and played in the NHL at age 19.
Attacked and beaten by a goon in an AHL game. Bad concussion, never came back. Similar to Ryan Sittler.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 09-26-2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: addition
Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:40 AM
brianscot

I read a couple of weeks ago that Mark Pavelich's wife (Kara) died after falling off a two story balcony at their home.

That brought me to thinking of Pavelich's career, especially with the NYR. Anyone have any idea why he left, went to Europe, came back to the NHL, and then quit again?

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscot View Post
I read a couple of weeks ago that Mark Pavelich's wife (Kara) died after falling off a two story balcony at their home. That brought me to thinking of Pavelich's career, especially with the NYR. Anyone have any idea why he left, went to Europe, came back to the NHL, and then quit again?
He played briefly for the Dundee Rockets in the British League, then with Bolzano in Italy, the San Jose' Sharks came knocking, convinced him to return to the NHL, however, he only played in 2-3 games before retiring for good. I dont know for sure why, but it was likely a case of being one step slower than he'd been in the past. He was a bit of an outlier, a perfectionist, member of the 1980 Miracle Team. After Brooks left New York he buckled & snapped under Sators old school dump & chase system, demanding a trade.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 06:06 PM
ashenhigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Jeff O'Neill death of brother.
Les Costello priesthood.
Todd Bergen golf/issues with Mike Keenan

Others left to go into business. Could provide a list

I thought Jeff O'Neill had a fear of flying... it was well documented. Regardless, must be a tough toll on him to retire from the game he loves after the death of a brother.

ashenhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Johnny Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashenhigh View Post
I thought Jeff O'Neill had a fear of flying... it was well documented. Regardless, must be a tough toll on him to retire from the game he loves after the death of a brother.
Jeff O'Neill didn't disappear for either of those reasons. He played for a couple of years after his brother died, and then "retired" due to his fear of flying but then relented and played another year. After that he was left without a contract, and didn't get another one because he was an uninvolved, one-dimensional player with the Toronto stink all over him. He even went to a Carolina training camp after that.

O'Neill played his last NHL game at a young age, but he stopped for the same reason most people do — he wasn't a good NHL player anymore.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:56 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Attacked and beaten by a goon in an AHL game. Bad concussion, never came back. Similar to Ryan Sittler.
Completely different than the bio on LoH...

Quote:
Defenceman Jocelyn Gauvreau played a couple of games for the Montreal Canadiens in 1983-84. He was a talented puck handler with a good shot from the point but was unable to bring his defensive zone coverage up to NHL standards.

Born in Masham, Quebec, Gauvreau played junior with the QMJHL's Hull Olympiques and Granby Bisons. He was chosen 31st overall by the Canadiens in 1982 and made his pro debut late in the 1982-83 season with the AHL's Nova Scotia Voyageurs. After returning to junior in 1983-84 and gaining brief exposure to the NHL, Gauvreau toiled briefly as a farmhand before retiring in 1984-85.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote