HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Curtis Lazar - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2013, 17th overall, Ottawa)

Old
09-26-2012, 09:09 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Brule should've been better and I think he still can. He's getting a bit of a raw deal, and I wish Phoenix had re-signed him.

Anyway, it's hard to put a Brule label on Lazar. Gilbert had some concussions and some personal issues (partially as a result of concussions) that really set him back. If Brule managed to avoid head injuries, he might be an extremely effective NHL player today.
Lazar has 10X the hockey sense that Brule possesses. Physically they are pretty similar although Brule has a tendancy to go headhunting that Lazar doens't do. Lazar is also a smidge bigger/stronger than Brule was.

Everytime I see Lazar play, I can't help but think of Jarret Stoll when he was with Kootenay. Similar type game but Lazar's skating is much, much better.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:47 PM
wings5

So if he has speed he can't be compared to Nolan really or doan. Does he play like Kesler?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 11:19 PM
soothsayer

Reminds me of Brayden Schenn.

soothsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
How about a more offensively gifted Mike Fisher?

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 11:28 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
How about a more offensively gifted Mike Fisher?
That's not bad. Stoll and Fisher were 2nd rounders. Lazar is likely going to be a top half of the first round pick. Skating is better than those two and I think he is starting to realize where he needs to be on the ice in order to score goals. The door is open for Lazar to be a 1st line center in the pros, at worst a 2nd liner.

Old
09-26-2012, 11:38 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
The kid is an elite player.

Gtfo of here with the Fisher and Stoll comparisons.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 11:41 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The kid is an elite player.

Gtfo of here with the Fisher and Stoll comparisons.
Taking things a little too over the top again as usual. GTFO with the liberal use of the word elite.

Old
09-26-2012, 11:59 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan View Post
Taking things a little too over the top again as usual. GTFO with the liberal use of the word elite.
He will be a top ten pick this year.

Quite possibly top five.

You obviously have no idea.

As usual.

People are comparing him to mid-second round picks.

Pfffffft.

Old
09-27-2012, 12:16 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
He will be a top ten pick this year.

Quite possibly top five.

You obviously have no idea.

As usual.

People are comparing him to mid-second round picks.

Pfffffft.
I don't want to be in a situation where I have to hate the kid, so I'm not getting goated into that argument. He can play on my team any day of the week. I'm just comparing style. I'm not comparing ceiling. Lazar obviously has another gear in his step and the offense will come this year. The thing that will make Lazar noticed more than anything will be how he is used in situational hockey, anywhere, anytime. Those have been calling cards for Stoll and Fisher and it will be a calling card for Lazar too. Even if the offense doesn't come around at the pro level, he will still have that aspect to rely on. That's where the comparisons end, nothing more, nothing less.

We can't forget that he is coming off a 20 goal, 31 point season, while Hunter Shinkaruk put up 49Gs. He did have 19 points in 20 games in the playoffs, so his game took it up notch. Forgive me if I want to see his offensive flourish a bit more before I start calling him elite. For the record I have Shinkaruk slightly ahead of Lazar but its only by one spot, both in the top 10.

Old
09-27-2012, 12:16 AM
SDig14

Love watching the kid live, tons of talent.

My guess is he goes in the 6-10 range, just tough to predict where all the euros will go in the top 10 right now, so anything in that range wouldn't shock me, plus or minus a couple spots even.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 12:42 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I don't want to be in a situation where I have to hate the kid, so I'm not getting goated into that argument. He can play on my team any day of the week. I'm just comparing style. I'm not comparing ceiling. Lazar obviously has another gear in his step and the offense will come this year. The thing that will make Lazar noticed more than anything will be how he is used in situational hockey, anywhere, anytime. Those have been calling cards for Stoll and Fisher and it will be a calling card for Lazar too. Even if the offense doesn't come around at the pro level, he will still have that aspect to rely on. That's where the comparisons end, nothing more, nothing less.

We can't forget that he is coming off a 20 goal, 31 point season, while Hunter Shinkaruk put up 49Gs. He did have 19 points in 20 games in the playoffs, so his game took it up notch. Forgive me if I want to see his offensive flourish a bit more before I start calling him elite. For the record I have Shinkaruk slightly ahead of Lazar but its only by one spot, both in the top 10.
Goated into an argument?

Lazar wasnt used in a top offensive role last year until near the end of the year. He was in and out of the top six and lots of time got little or no pp time. Consider that with the fact he was 16 and hadnt developed his skills to the point where they are now and ya, he didnt put up great stats during the regular season.

But the playoffs were his coming out party and so far this year he looks very dangerous. His skating is top notch. Speed, acceleration, agility. He can do it all. His shot is hard and accurate. More than that it is his quick release that is his bread and butter. Couple that with his size, grit, toughness, fearlessness and he is a complete player.

One that I believe may score fifty goals in his draft year. On that team, it is possible. If Gernat were in the lineup, it would be even more likely to happen.

Fifty goals, or even forty in his draft year, along with all of his other skills/intangibles, makes him elite in my books. Certainly comparing him to other players his age. He is top ten in the world. That is elite.

Old
09-27-2012, 01:11 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Goated into an argument?

Lazar wasnt used in a top offensive role last year until near the end of the year. He was in and out of the top six and lots of time got little or no pp time. Consider that with the fact he was 16 and hadnt developed his skills to the point where they are now and ya, he didnt put up great stats during the regular season.

But the playoffs were his coming out party and so far this year he looks very dangerous. His skating is top notch. Speed, acceleration, agility. He can do it all. His shot is hard and accurate. More than that it is his quick release that is his bread and butter. Couple that with his size, grit, toughness, fearlessness and he is a complete player.

One that I believe may score fifty goals in his draft year. On that team, it is possible. If Gernat were in the lineup, it would be even more likely to happen.

Fifty goals, or even forty in his draft year, along with all of his other skills/intangibles, makes him elite in my books. Certainly comparing him to other players his age. He is top ten in the world. That is elite.
I'm not sure what the debate is here other than that elite word. Like I said, liberal use.

You pretty much regurgitated everything I said. We'll have to see where he ends with the goal totals. Its setup nicely for him to do so.

Old
09-27-2012, 01:30 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I'm not sure what the debate is here other than that elite word. Like I said, liberal use.

You pretty much regurgitated everything I said. We'll have to see where he ends with the goal totals. Its setup nicely for him to do so.
Not hardly.

You were agreeing with a poster using "Mike Fisher" as a comp.

And you said he is "finding the spots where he needs to be" or some such nonsense.

Im talking about his skills and how they are high end. Multiple high end skills in combination to make an elite player.

If you think using the word elite to describe a player who is among the ten best on the planet for his age is "liberal", then youve lost the plot.

Old
09-27-2012, 01:42 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Not hardly.

And you said he is "finding the spots where he needs to be" or some such nonsense.

Im talking about his skills and how they are high end. Multiple high end skills in combination to make an elite player.

If you think using the word elite to describe a player who is among the ten best on the planet for his age is "liberal", then youve lost the plot.
Lost the plot? I think you need to read my posts properly before you reply.

Elite is reserved for future HoFers. Lazar is heckuva player and he is on the right track to becoming an outstanding pro. He is in an excellent situation to thrive in Edmonton. Things are setup nicely for him. He will do well. I don't know how many more times I have to say that.

Old
09-27-2012, 01:59 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:

Elite is reserved for future HoFers. Lazar is heckuva player and he is on the right track to becoming an outstanding pro. He is in an excellent situation to thrive in Edmonton. Things are setup nicely for him. He will do well. I don't know how many more times I have to say that.
So why dont you tell us all which players in this draft class are going to be future hall of famers so we know who we can call elite?

Old
09-27-2012, 02:36 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
So why dont you tell us all which players in this draft class are going to be future hall of famers so we know who we can call elite?
That'd be as dumb as labelling non-drafted players as elite.

Old
09-27-2012, 02:38 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
That'd be as dumb as labelling non-drafted players as elite.
So, at what point can you start calling players elite?

Is it before or after their careers are over and they are inducted into the hall of fame?

Old
09-27-2012, 02:38 AM
Bank Shot

Quote:

I wouldn't bother. IATL just likes to argue.

The thing that would probably hold Lazar back from becoming an elite player at the NHL level is his passing skills. They are just alright.

Yea, he's top ten in his age group, but most 5-10 picks don't go on to be elite. Lots of Brules, Torres, Hartnell's etc in that area. Lots of good players but not guarenteed stars by any means.

Bank Shot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 02:58 AM
I am the Liquor

You going to answer the question or are you going to hide behind Bank Shot's skirt?

Where is this invisible line where players can be called elite?

Old
09-27-2012, 04:44 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
By the way, Lazar is blogging with us this year. Here's his first entry, it's quite good: READ THIS

09-27-2012, 05:42 AM
doubledown99

I have to agree with IATLon this one, Lazar is looking awesome and some appear to be underating his potential. I like the Kesler comparison. The B. Schenn one isn't bad either but IMO Lazar has a better shot

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 11:12 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:

There is some pretty big differences between Lazar and shinkaruk though. The two biggest reasons being ones that change your argument in a pretty big way.

1 and less important is that hunter had etem on the same line. That's a pretty big plus To have and one Lazar was not privy too.

Secondly and more importantly, Lazar was playing his rookie season and hunter was in his sophomore season. Lazar actually outacored hunter in their respective rookie years. Oh and he earned some top lie time on the whl champions down the stretch. That's pretty damn close to elite level talent if you ask me

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

Quote:
Maybe you should read what I said...a more offensively gifted Mike Fisher. Fisher has been a quality NHLer for years, it's not an insult at all.

Old
09-27-2012, 10:16 PM
jetkarma

Enjoy reading the debate , and he may be an option for Winnipeg , however the word is goaded not goated.

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/pressroom/20..._night_hockey/

Get your Lazar fix on October 12th vs Calgary on Sportsnet one.