HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators Prospects 2012-2013 Season

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2012, 09:31 PM
MoreGore

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblad the Impaler View Post
If Kadri or any other leaf's prospect was in a similar situation we'd be ripping him a new one and questioning his character.
While likely true, it only points to the lack of understanding of posters' knowledge of the CHL.

Old
09-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
Jason Spezza asked for a trade from Don Cherry - this happens in junior hockey. Toewes didn't report to his junior club and went to college instead, it's not a big thing.
I get that it happens. I just don't like it. Especially when you request one specific team that you're willing to go to. You were drafted by a team, you should play for them. Plus, I have trouble seeing how a year of playing on one team versus another is going to have such a dramatic effect at the OHL level for an NHL drafted player, at least not enough to merit requesting a trade.

Old
09-25-2012, 09:49 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
I get that it happens. I just don't like it. Especially when you request one specific team that you're willing to go to. You were drafted by a team, you should play for them. Plus, I have trouble seeing how a year of playing on one team versus another is going to have such a dramatic effect at the OHL level for an NHL drafted player, at least not enough to merit requesting a trade.
He's said he didn't request Kitchener at first, he just said he wanted to go to a contender. As time went along, Kitchener happened to still be in on the negotiations, and it became his number one choice.

09-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Eric Lindros also demanded a trade in Junior, then again for Quebec.

Everybody gave Heatley a pass when he demanded a trade in Atlanta and came here, only to demand another trade. Turris foreshadowing?
Bad example.

Quote:
Yeah, I know it's not the same situation. But it does seem like there are at least a few examples of players demanding trades more than once. I'd prefer that Puempel hadn't requested the trade and slogged it out in Peterborough, even if it means his numbers take a bit of a hit.
It's not about his numbers. You're taking a very shortsighted view of this if you think he went to Kitchener so he could score 10-15 more points. There's a list of benefits.

Quote:
If Kadri or any other leaf's prospect was in a similar situation we'd be ripping him a new one and questioning his character.
It's like you're indirectly trying to say Sens fans have no bias or hate? There would be many Sens fans looking to chop a guy like Kadri down....that doesn't make them right on the matter. Besides, Kadri played in Kitchener and London, maybe from the get go he was telling teams like Peterborough "no chance", not suggesting he did but who knows. Puempel gave Peterborough 3 years and had they turned it around, he wouldn't have asked out in all likelihood. Peterborough is a dump for development these days and the Sens probably encouraged this.

You know, if you're team is **** and the environment sucks in the NHL, respectable players will ask out too. Doesn't matter whether it's beer league, junior or the NHL, if your organization is crap, no ones gonna wanna stay.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 09-25-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old
09-25-2012, 10:22 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
You know, if you're team is **** and the environment sucks in the NHL, respectable players will ask out too. Doesn't matter whether it's beer league, junior or the NHL, if your organization is crap, no ones gonna wanna stay.
You could say this about any employee in any business. I think a lot of people forget that athletes are people, too.

Old
09-26-2012, 01:00 AM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Quote:
Eric Lindros also demanded a trade in Junior, then again for Quebec.

Everybody gave Heatley a pass when he demanded a trade in Atlanta and came here, only to demand another trade. Turris foreshadowing?
Turris wanted out of Phoenix because of how the organization treated him, not because he was spoiled or a headcase. I know I've told this story on here before but I have mutual friends with Kyle and while I don't know him personally myself this legitimately happened.

During his rookie season the first time the Coyotes came through Vancouver he got screwed royally. It being his first game in his hometown in the NHL, over 30 of his friends and family bought up sections to show support (a few of my friends went and were part of a group of his friends that painted their chests with his name). He was dressed for the pregame skate took a few laps only to be informed that he was not playing that night.

So here he is, a year and a half removed from being a 3rd overall pick playing on a terrible team that didn't have the decency to start him in his hometown knowing he had people showing up to support. From that moment on a rift was created. They never treated him like a prized prospect. They constantly shut him down and stagnated his growth.

Old
09-26-2012, 07:18 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

You guys think it's a plus for his development and common enough in the league.

I agree on both points but I don't think the development argument is strong enough to merit demanding a trade and would have preferred to see him stay on the petes. It was a decision that put his own development above his team's chances. Regardless of how common it is, I just don't like that out of principle. (Strangely enough, I have no problem with players switching leagues for development reasons, but I take issue with jumping teams within one league. Perhaps it's because I think the league would fall apart if every player did what was best for their development and decided they were only willing to play for one or two best teams).

Anyways, I don't think we're going to agree on this one boys. Maybe we should just leave it at that?

Last edited by Fenix Rises 2026: 09-26-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old
09-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
“The Peterborough Petes are pleased to add Zach Lorentz to our lineup” says Petes General Manager David Reid. “The two 2nd round draft picks will give us some depth in future drafts, or allow us to use those picks to acquire another player down the road.”

“The Petes wish Matt Puempel all the best in his career and thank him for his three years as a member of the Petes.”
Doesn't sounds like any ill will.

Dblad, you just dont seem to understand the way the CHL works.

The 67s got Logan Couture 12th overall in the OHL draft despite him being ranked #1 the whole year. He dropped to 12 because some kid named John Tavares was given exceptional status and taken #1 over Couture. Couture was pissed beyond belief and guarenteed he was going the NCAA route so no teams picked him. The 67s did and Kilrae convinced him to play for us. The rest is history.

**** like this happens multiple times a season across the CHL.

Old
09-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post

The 67s got Logan Couture 12th overall in the OHL draft despite him being ranked #1 the whole year. He dropped to 12 because some kid named John Tavares was given exceptional status and taken #1 over Couture. Couture was pissed beyond belief and guarenteed he was going the NCAA route so no teams picked him. The 67s did and Kilrae convinced him to play for us. The rest is history.

I get what you're saying, but I still don't like it.

Old
09-26-2012, 08:42 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Wikstrand added another two points yesterday (both assists). Leading all D for points in SEL2 (3G, 2A, 5Pts) through 5GP.

Old
09-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
You guys think it's a plus for his development and common enough in the league.

I agree on both points but I don't think the development argument is strong enough to merit demanding a trade and would have preferred to see him stay on the petes. It was a decision that put his own development above his team's chances. Regardless of how common it is, I just don't like that out of principle. (Strangely enough, I have no problem with players switching leagues for development reasons, but I take issue with jumping teams within one league. Perhaps it's because I think the league would fall apart if every player did what was best for their development and decided they were only willing to play for one or two best teams).

Anyways, I don't think we're going to agree on this one boys. Maybe we should just leave it at that?
There's a lot of players in the OHL who's development is best served playing for their own team. If everyone started jumping ship, there'd be no league. I suggested the Sens may have encouraged this, and KingCity also suggested this (and he might even be in the know).

You don't think it could be big for Puempel's development? He was the CHL rookie of the year at 16 and the first 16 year old to score 30 for Peterborough since Yzerman. Since then, he slipped in the draft and became the guy everyone here throws into trades because he hasn't lived up.

If he scores around 50 goals, plays deep into the playoffs and perhaps further. Impresses Spott enough to make the WJC...you're damn right the "development excuse" was worth it. Because he wasn't getting that in Peterborough. And those experiences and that confidence he gains from these things is unquantifiable, but it can make all the difference.

Old
09-26-2012, 11:03 AM
starling

Some Puempel goals from last game: http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/v...2b6c0766c4079a

Old
09-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post
Nice goals by Puemps, especially the first. I feel bad for the Sarnia goalie on the 2nd one. Yikes that was a shooting gallery.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Highlights from cecis 4 point game . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQGIVpOsHqM

what a play he makes there for the 4th goal,

Old
09-26-2012, 04:45 PM
playasRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post

Wow. He sounds like a really big tool. "If i'm not first overall i'm'not playing!"

Old
09-26-2012, 04:50 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
Wow. He sounds like a really big tool. "If i'm not first overall i'm'not playing!"
When you're 15 or 16 and have been told for the past five years that you're going to the NHL, there's a pretty good chance that it'll go to your head.

In other news, Filatov's got 5 points in 6 games with his KHL club. Two goals and three assists, although I haven't watched any of his games to comment on how well he's been playing beyond what the stats say.

Old
09-27-2012, 01:49 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Well, maybe you "don't like it", but if you need more people to tell you that it's not even news worthy, I guess I'll join everybody and I don't really follow the OHL closely, I just know it happens every year to most of the better propsects

Just read this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intangibles View Post
Almost every high end CHL player gets traded in his final year if he's on a bad team, it's better for the player and sometimes the team. Its nothing new.
/topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
In other news, Filatov's got 5 points in 6 games with his KHL club. Two goals and three assists, although I haven't watched any of his games to comment on how well he's been playing beyond what the stats say.
Well, maybe we'll use 4 scoring lines in 2013-14

Old
09-27-2012, 02:58 AM
derriko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Well, maybe you "don't like it", but if you need more people to tell you that it's not even news worthy, I guess I'll join everybody and I don't really follow the OHL closely, I just know it happens every year to most of the better propsects

Just read this :

/topic

Well, maybe we'll use 4 scoring lines in 2013-14
The way the league is going that may be more of a reality than a joke.

Old
09-27-2012, 03:12 AM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
Also keep in mind he was a 14/15 year old kid so obviously he wasn't as mature then as he is now.

I think he just had his heart set on Oshawa and in 1 swoop that was gone. When you're a kid that age moving away from home can be stressful. Even more stressful when the place youre convinced youre gonna call home all of a sudden is no longer an option. I'm sure he and his family had done tons of traveling/research about/to Oshawa so he was probably getting semi-comfortable in that location.

So many question-marks. All I know is it worked out amazingly well for the 67s and the Sharks.

Old
09-27-2012, 07:41 AM
operasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
If he scores around 50 goals, plays deep into the playoffs and perhaps further. Impresses Spott enough to make the WJC....
With the lockout I think our WJC team will be stacked with some of the players like Nugent-Hopkins, Huberdeau, Hamilton, etc who would probably be up with their NHL clubs.

I'm thinking Puempel and even Ceci will not be in a position to be on the team if this is the case.

Old
09-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
With the lockout I think our WJC team will be stacked with some of the players like Nugent-Hopkins, Huberdeau, Hamilton, etc who would probably be up with their NHL clubs.

I'm thinking Puempel and even Ceci will not be in a position to be on the team if this is the case.
I think Puempel will be given every shot to be on this team with Shott seeing him every game, and him seeming to excel so far (extremely small sample size I know, I'm just being an optimistic extrapolationist)

Old
09-27-2012, 09:48 AM
operasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
I think Puempel will be given every shot to be on this team with Shott seeing him every game, and him seeming to excel so far (extremely small sample size I know, I'm just being an optimistic extrapolationist)
It would be so good for him (and the Sens), but there could be 8 guys available as well and they'll be hard to say no to. Same thing for Sweden, Russia, etc.

Old
09-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
It would be so good for him (and the Sens), but there could be 8 guys available as well and they'll be hard to say no to. Same thing for Sweden, Russia, etc.
True, but the only real guy that may be back whom wasn't really expected (I thought Hub needed another year to bulk up, may be wrong) was Nuge.

Old
09-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Minister of Offence

He didn't have a chance if he was in Peterborough. Maybe even no camp invite.

He'll be in the running no matter what if he's leading Kitchener in goals and they are winning. They aren't going to be loaded with would-be nhlers on the wings either way.

Old
09-28-2012, 01:34 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

In other news Kadri is Byfulglien fat!

Closed Thread