Central Europe Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Italy

Great Players From Slovakia Back When It Was Czechoslovakia

Old
07-17-2012, 08:25 PM
DethOfDragnz

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DethOfDragnz
Great Players From Slovakia Back When It Was Czechoslovakia

Hey people I am playing EA NHL 2011 and I am trying to make the ultimate Slovakian team. Unfortunately it wasn't until 1993 that Slovakia became independent from Czechoslovakia. That is a slim era to try and build a ultimate roster from. So does anyone know some good pre 1993 hockey players from the Czechoslovakia area that is now Slovakia? I was looking through wikipedia at Czechoslovakia players from Canada Cups, Olympics, and WHC, trying to find where they were born and then double checking on maps if they are in the part that is now Slovakia it was a huge pain and I didn't find anyone, enter in too that communist players were not allowed to play in the NHL it makes it harder to find players that were real good without doing research all over. Maybe someone from that area of the world can help me out.

DethOfDragnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:07 AM
lamini

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateSin View Post
Hey people I am playing EA NHL 2011 and I am trying to make the ultimate Slovakian team. Unfortunately it wasn't until 1993 that Slovakia became independent from Czechoslovakia. That is a slim era to try and build a ultimate roster from. So does anyone know some good pre 1993 hockey players from the Czechoslovakia area that is now Slovakia? I was looking through wikipedia at Czechoslovakia players from Canada Cups, Olympics, and WHC, trying to find where they were born and then double checking on maps if they are in the part that is now Slovakia it was a huge pain and I didn't find anyone, enter in too that communist players were not allowed to play in the NHL it makes it harder to find players that were real good without doing research all over. Maybe someone from that area of the world can help me out.
http://www.sienslavy.sk/clenovia

Slovak Hall of Fame, it may help you a bit

lamini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:30 AM
alko

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamini View Post
http://www.sienslavy.sk/clenovia

Slovak Hall of Fame, it may help you a bit
The question is, if Stan Mikita and Vaclav "The Big Nedo" Nedomansky are Slovak players...
Stan Mikita was only born in Slovakia and Nedomansky came from Czech.

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:50 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
The question is, if Stan Mikita and Vaclav "The Big Nedo" Nedomansky are Slovak players...
Stan Mikita was only born in Slovakia and Nedomansky came from Czech.
the best criterion to decide this is their own opinion. I dont know what they think about this, but I know the nationality is decided by the choice of every person in the first place.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
and Nedomansky came from Czech.
I think Nedo said he ''feels'' more Slovak and considers himself that.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 07:07 AM
kajoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
the best criterion to decide this is their own opinion. I dont know what they think about this, but I know the nationality is decided by the choice of every person in the first place.
This article claims that Nedo was born in Hodonin to Slovak parents

Quote:
Nedomanský, who was born in Hodonín to Slovak parents, starred for over a decade with Slovan Bratislava.

IMO he made his choice when he accepted invitation to Slovak Hall of Fame.

kajoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 06:14 AM
kajoo

my fav Slovak players of 80s were Šťastný brothers, Ihnačák brothers, Dušan Pašek, Igor Liba, Dárius Rusnák

Old
09-29-2012, 11:56 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajoo View Post
This article claims that Nedo was born in Hodonin to Slovak parents

IMO he made his choice when he accepted invitation to Slovak Hall of Fame.
Sorry, but that argument really doesn´t make much sense. AFAIK there´s no condition that someone must be Slovak in order to be in the Slovak Hall of Fame and I believe there are several people there because of their input for Slovak hockey undepending on whether they are or aren´t 100% Slovak. Also I think there are several Slovaks who were inducted into the Czech hockey hall of fame and nobody would claim them to be Czech based just on that. Also there´s the issue of certain players not accepting the induction into the Slovak hall of fame or leaving it and that hardly means that they´re no longer Slovak.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 04:23 AM
kajoo

only ethnic non-Slovaks in Slovak HOF were Jaroslav Walter and Nedo, but their "hockey ethnicity" (however absurd it might sound) is Slovak.

What exactly did Stan Mikita or George Gross for Slovak hockey that granted them invitation to Slovak HOF ? Their only contribution was their ethnicity.

Nedo was born in Czech rep. (to Slovak parents ?), still speaks czech, but spent his whole CSSFR career in Slovan, plus works for Slovak hockey federation and maintains close ties to Slovakia. I consider him more Slovak than Czech, at least in sence of "hockey ethnicity". Czechs might feel otherwise and I have no problem with it. Nedo alone sounds uncertain about his ethnicity http://sport.ihned.cz/c1-51741160-ne...-nam-cely-svet

Similar situation in football with Vilda Schrojf (born in Prague, spent his career in Slovan), who was omitted by various Slovak/Czech polls for footballer of century because neither one felt he´s 100% theirs. For the record, I consider Josef Chovanec more Czech than Slovak footballer, although his is ethnic Slovak.

Last edited by kajoo: 09-30-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old
09-30-2012, 07:29 AM
ModryJazyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
I agree.

Mikita said he feels as SLovak in some interviews.Exactly same he said personally to my friend in CHI few years ago.

http://hokej.pravda.sk/s-hrdostou-ho...725_sk_nhl_p28

google translate :

http://translate.google.sk/translate...725_sk_nhl_p28

ModryJazyk is offline   Reply With Quote