HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NFL Thread VI: Andre Brown Edition

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2012, 03:00 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
But the problem is the NFL already DOES have notorious refs. Ed Hochuli, anyone?

Getting the real refs back isn't enough. We need some serious rehaul to the refs- be it full-time refs or extensive training. The replacement refs are awful, but it's not good enough that the regular refs are simply slightly better. Packers fans can cry all they want- the "real" refs cost us an important win against them last regular season.
Ed is bad but at least he owns up to it. He's one of the least arrogant refs in a sea of arrogance. I don't mind him as much as I mind the guys that claim to never be wrong.

But I digress -- the real problem does need to be corrected. Get rid of these morons that are ruining this season first. They are the REAL problem. No refs are perfect. I have no idea if you watch college football, but you should if you want to see some atrocious reffing (aka the ACC refs in the WVU v. Maryland game).

It's clear that the refs can only do so much.

Old
09-25-2012, 03:00 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Undoubtedly, the wrong call was made.

But in a Hail Mary situation, a DB should never try to come down with the ball. Jennings or any other Packer's job is to knock the ball to the ground. If they executed this, there would be no opportunity for ambiguity in any call.
It's natural instinct to grab the ball. Just how it is for them. You have to take into account the fact that if he just bats it away, it can still be picked up off of a tip. Grabbing it doesn't allow that. Jennings did the right thing -- 100%.

Old
09-25-2012, 03:28 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Ed is bad but at least he owns up to it. He's one of the least arrogant refs in a sea of arrogance. I don't mind him as much as I mind the guys that claim to never be wrong.

But I digress -- the real problem does need to be corrected. Get rid of these morons that are ruining this season first. They are the REAL problem. No refs are perfect. I have no idea if you watch college football, but you should if you want to see some atrocious reffing (aka the ACC refs in the WVU v. Maryland game).

It's clear that the refs can only do so much.
I agree that the scabs need to go, i'm just furious all this outrage is because the Packers lost a game because of a bad call. Boo ****ing hoo. It happens all the time. People should be more angry about the incompetence that has gone on for four quarters in every other game.

Some kid was wearing a Rodger's jersey with "boycott the NFL" taped to the nameplate around campus today- all I could think of was this.

http://giantskickoff.com/2011/12/06/...the-ny-giants/

Didn't see the league issue a statement about that.

Old
09-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I agree that the scabs need to go, i'm just furious all this outrage is because the Packers lost a game because of a bad call. Boo ****ing hoo. It happens all the time. People should be more angry about the incompetence that has gone on for four quarters in every other game.

Some kid was wearing a Rodger's jersey with "boycott the NFL" taped to the nameplate around campus today- all I could think of was this.

http://giantskickoff.com/2011/12/06/...the-ny-giants/

Didn't see the league issue a statement about that.
Seriously. We got ****ed in that game and we almost got ****ed in the playoff game too.

09-25-2012, 04:27 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Brad Norman ‏@_brad_norman
Good God!!! That's Ed Hochuli's music!!!!

Probably my favorite tweet from last night Wrestling and XFL references on Twitter were hysterical.

09-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Yey no more ref lockout!!!!

Old
09-26-2012, 01:23 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Lol that didn't take long

Old
09-26-2012, 01:27 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Not surprising they moved to quickly get a deal done after that debacle.

Hopefully they can get the refs back before tomorrow night, and we don't have replacements on Sunday

Old
09-26-2012, 02:06 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Packers also got the benefit of two similar calls back in 09 against the Jets. The regular refs screw up too.

Old
09-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Blame the NFL/real refs, not the poor replacement ones who were trying their best.

The packers will make the playoffs, and if they don't, they'll have much bigger issues than this one game.

Old
09-26-2012, 02:25 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
Packers also got the benefit of two similar calls back in 09 against the Jets. The regular refs screw up too.
They do, but not nearly with such regularity. And the level of ineptitude was just staggering...losing track of timeouts, downs, incorrectly spotting the ball, marching off incorrect penalty yardage, seemingly not knowing the difference between similar penalties, etc. Such an incredible amount of incompetence, in just a few short weeks! If anything, watching these guys should make everyone more appreciative of how well the regular refs perform. Far from perfect, but pretty damn well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Blame the NFL/real refs, not the poor replacement ones who were trying their best.

The packers will make the playoffs, and if they don't, they'll have much bigger issues than this one game.
I blame all parties, but feel zero sympathy for the "poor" scabs. They crossed the picket line, so to speak, and deserve none of it. JMO.

It's just pain.
Old
09-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
They do, but not nearly with such regularity. And the level of ineptitude was just staggering...losing track of timeouts, downs, incorrectly spotting the ball, marching off incorrect penalty yardage, seemingly not knowing the difference between similar penalties, etc. Such an incredible amount of incompetence, in just a few short weeks! If anything, watching these guys should make everyone more appreciative of how well the regular refs perform. Far from perfect, but pretty damn well.
Totally agree, NFL officials are not perfect. But they are the best officials in all professional sports by a landslide.

Old
09-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Lawrence Tynes was named NFL Special Teams player of the week for his 5 for 5 effort against Carolina

Old
09-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Tynes may not be the most accurate kicker with the longest leg, but he has always been there for us when we needed him to be.

Old
09-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Totally agree, NFL officials are not perfect. But they are the best officials in all professional sports by a landslide.
I think that distinction belongs to NHL refs, despite how much they get hammered around here.

Old
09-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think that distinction belongs to NHL refs, despite how much they get hammered around here.
Not a chance.

Way too inconsistent. Significant level of incompetence with a select few.

They are better than NBA refs though. NBA refs are the worst officials in pro sports.

Old
09-26-2012, 08:12 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Tynes may not be the most accurate kicker with the longest leg, but he has always been there for us when we needed him to be.
I'd say he's now one of the most accurate. He worked long and hard on that, too. Not the biggest leg, but he will drill it from 50 and under every time. I use to worry about him. Not any longer.

Old
09-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Not a chance.

Way too inconsistent. Significant level of incompetence with a select few.

They are better than NBA refs though. NBA refs are the worst officials in pro sports.
The only thing more pathetic than blaming the refs is ignorance in regards to how difficult their job really is.

Old
09-26-2012, 11:05 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The only thing more pathetic than blaming the refs is ignorance in regards to how difficult their job really is.
Please, I was quantifying their ability compared to other sports officials. Don't take my opinion out of context or put words in my mouth.

Old
09-27-2012, 12:19 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

With Reggie Bush most likely out for Sunday, I have to rely on the flex powers of Dwayne Bowe.

Old
09-27-2012, 02:22 AM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

With a new CBA in place for the refs and an end to the lockout, finally we can really start the football season.

Time for the NHL/PA to get it done as well.

Old
09-27-2012, 07:48 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
With Reggie Bush most likely out for Sunday, I have to rely on the flex powers of Dwayne Bowe.
Bowe is a good option though. He's the third most-targeted receiver in the game. If you're in a PPR league like me, he's very valuable.

Old
09-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Please, I was quantifying their ability compared to other sports officials. Don't take my opinion out of context or put words in my mouth.
So the difficulty of officiating certain sports should play no factor in what you have to say? Thats ridiculous. Hockey is, by far, the fastest sport in the world. I'd like to see you or anyone else be "consistent" with so much action going on at any given time. Football is a tough sports to officiate as well, but theres 7 refs on the field and constant breaks in the action. Its a distant 2nd to hockey in terms of difficulty to officiate.

Old
09-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Bowe is a good option though. He's the third most-targeted receiver in the game. If you're in a PPR league like me, he's very valuable.
I'm hesitant to play him most of the time because with a healthy team, I'm running:

Maurice Jones-Drew
Darren McFadden
Wes Welker
Steve Smith
Reggie Bush at flex.

I wish I played him 2 weeks ago though when he put up an insane 30 points.

Old
09-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

I've used Dwayne Bowe in fantasy for a couple years now (My team name was Double Dwayne Bowe). He is a pretty good option. He has bad nights every now and then, puts up solid performances most nights, and when he is hot, he is HOT. He puts up monster numbers a few games per season that can win you the week all by himself.

Closed Thread