Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Tim Wallach

vCash: 500
The puzzling part for me is that Young wasn't good enough to play for us last season or this season, but he was good enough to dress all through the playoffs. That was just odd.

But yes, sometimes the situation has unique circumstances. And as much as Hanes can be hit and miss and Iafrate is likely the better all around player by a fair margin, Hanes is a better fit with Murphy right now. Not at all a risk taker like Iafrate can be and a vet with a stabilizing influence.

Still, I'm not sure Spott feels he has this thing perfectly tuned yet. But he's in a catch-22 where to increase Gilbert's trade value he has to play him more.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:17 AM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Chose Midensky because we (Rangers) tried to fill a 6th D man position which gets limited minutes outside of the organization instead of trying to develop within.

I get what you are saying, I guess my think is I feel we have wronged the kid in his "potential" development. Was wanting it righted in some way.

I dont know enough of other organizations depth to suggest a place but maybe Young or even Gilbert should have been the start of a package to acquire a shutdown top end D or secondary scoring. I understand that he really doesnt have a place here. He should get the opportunity elsewhere. Midensky was shopped, waived through the league and not picked up. And then finds a spot (for the time being) in the Q with Quebec. I thought it would be nice for Young to have that kind of opportunity.

And without looking, re:Keli Grant, I would think that he received more ice time and a chance than Young did.

First, let me say that I agree 100% with the last two posts by ORYX. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't think that Midensky was brought in to fill the 6th d-man position. Actually, bringing Midensky in was more a case of the player impressing our scouting staff at the Tier 2 level and thought signing him as a FA would be a good idea. They did that when they did because other teams were looking at him as well and didn't want to possibly lose him to another team.

It was cheap and worth the shot. He was signed but it didn't work out. easy come, easy go

Rumor had it that Young has been shopped but there haven't been any takers - probably for the reasons ORYX pointed out in his posts. I would assume that he wasn't released/waived because keeping him close with the Dutchmen gives the Rangers an option with OHL playoff experience in the event of injury. Remember, no depth burned us last year in the playoffs more than anything once the injuries mounted.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:50 AM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
The puzzling part for me is that Young wasn't good enough to play for us last season or this season, but he was good enough to dress all through the playoffs. That was just odd.

But yes, sometimes the situation has unique circumstances. And as much as Hanes can be hit and miss and Iafrate is likely the better all around player by a fair margin, Hanes is a better fit with Murphy right now. Not at all a risk taker like Iafrate can be and a vet with a stabilizing influence.

Still, I'm not sure Spott feels he has this thing perfectly tuned yet. But he's in a catch-22 where to increase Gilbert's trade value he has to play him more.

It isn't that puzzling at all. He dressed all through the playoffs last year because he was the best option due to injuries - not because he was good enough. If he were good enough, he and Genovese would have seen more icetime than the shift or two a period that they did see.

As far as Hanes goes, he's an OA and very often early in the season this sort of thing happens. The Rangers came into the season with no OA's (I still expect AC in Ranger blue before the year is out). Therefore, before Spott blows his wad on a couple of high end OA's, he is trying the cheaper way out by hoping the inexpensive OA's he has acquired recently can carry the mail. That's why Hanes has been out there pretty much exclusively with Murphy. There's nothing wrong with that. If one or two of these guys prove to be good OA's on what's to be a championship calibre team, then that's great. Then maybe Spott deals for a high end player who's a year younger (another Puempel type deal).

Therefore, in order for the coaching staff to determine whether or not Hanes can fill the hole that Spott wants to fill with an OA d-man (Sol's replacement basically), he has to play. He has to play in that spot and play every game and often. This is still an audition for Hanes and Spott isn't going to give him only a couple games and make his decision. He has time because any high end OA's out there aren't really available at this time of year until teams around the league figure out the type of team they'll be this year.

I agree about Gilbert though. The longer he's out of the lineup, more his trade value decreases. If I'm the GM on the other end of the line, I ask Spott why he's trying to deal me a player who isn't good enough to crack the lineup. This guy has to play some games and soon IMO.

Old
09-27-2012, 06:49 AM
HometownHockey
HFB Partner

Windsor Spitfires Game Day versus Kitchener Rangers

READ....
http://www.ourhometown.ca/windsor/sports/WS0023.php

Old
09-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurHometown View Post
Windsor Spitfires Game Day versus Kitchener Rangers

READ....
http://www.ourhometown.ca/windsor/sports/WS0023.php
Just a minor correction that Braithwaite isn't with the Rangers. He decided to start getting into the "real life".

I would also imagine that Frankie Palalezze will be getting the start in net.

Old
09-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Where can I get Rangers tickets online?

I searched their website, and everything directed me to some concert hall that didn't seem to have any sports tickets, nevermind Kitchener Rangers ones.

They tell you to go here... http://www.centre-square.com/ ...to buy tickets online, but I don't see anything on there about the Rangers.

Pretty poor design. I want to give you my money. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Old
09-27-2012, 09:11 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post

I searched their website, and everything directed me to some concert hall that didn't seem to have any sports tickets, nevermind Kitchener Rangers ones.

They tell you to go here... http://www.centre-square.com/ ...to buy tickets online, but I don't see anything on there about the Rangers.

Pretty poor design. I want to give you my money. It shouldn't be this difficult.
Individual tickets are not on sale until this weekend (first Rangers home game isn't until Oct 19). I've never heard of anyone having issues getting tickets through Centre in the Square, so I'm guessing it will be easier then.

Old
09-27-2012, 09:20 AM
HometownHockey
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Just a minor correction that Braithwaite isn't with the Rangers. He decided to start getting into the "real life".

I would also imagine that Frankie Palalezze will be getting the start in net.
Ward Cornell - thank you for the Braithwaite correction. We have updated the story.

Old
09-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Individual tickets are not on sale until this weekend (first Rangers home game isn't until Oct 19). I've never heard of anyone having issues getting tickets through Centre in the Square, so I'm guessing it will be easier then.

Hopefully that is the issue. This is the first time I have tried to get tickets for Kitchener.

Old
09-27-2012, 10:30 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Hopefully that is the issue. This is the first time I have tried to get tickets for Kitchener.
Ticket sales begin September 29th, 10am for all regular season home games.

Old
09-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Ticket sales begin September 29th, 10am for all regular season home games.
Not sure why the Aud reno's causes this delay but that what I've heard!

Old
09-27-2012, 10:56 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Not sure why the Aud reno's causes this delay but that what I've heard!
I believe due to the influx of season ticket holders, and them making sure all those new STH's are taken care of, paid up, and seats sorted before selling the rest.

That way they have sufficient time to make payment, sort out the outstanding accounts, and avoid accidentally forgetting someone or giving two people the same seat. It's not supposed to happen, but mistakes are made on occassion as I found out last year come playoffs.

Just my thoughts on what may be holding up the public release and ticket pick-up.

Old
09-27-2012, 10:57 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Wait, just noticed your location. I'm sorry, Kitchener is selective about who is allowed into the Aud.

Seriously though - try this weekend. We're not like the JLC.

Old
09-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
I believe due to the influx of season ticket holders, and them making sure all those new STH's are taken care of, paid up, and seats sorted before selling the rest.

That way they have sufficient time to make payment, sort out the outstanding accounts, and avoid accidentally forgetting someone or giving two people the same seat. It's not supposed to happen, but mistakes are made on occassion as I found out last year come playoffs.

Just my thoughts on what may be holding up the public release and ticket pick-up.
Makes perfect sense!!

Old
09-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
It isn't that puzzling at all. He dressed all through the playoffs last year because he was the best option due to injuries - not because he was good enough.
Not quite true. For most of that run, Midensky was healthy and scratched despite having gotten the nod over him during the end run of the season. But I digress.

Old
09-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Wait, just noticed your location. I'm sorry, Kitchener is selective about who is allowed into the Aud.

Seriously though - try this weekend. We're not like the JLC.
I am actually an Oshawa transplant. I am hoping to get tix for the opener against the Gens.

Though I have wholeheartedly embraced the Knights since moving out here. Not hard to do when the team, arena, and atmosphere are all first class though. It was a real culture shock going to my first Knights game considering I grew up watching games at the old Oshawa Civic Auditorium.

Old
09-27-2012, 01:09 PM
ORYX

Further on the Young story, according to Josh Brown's blog, of the Record, Young wasnt just 'Assigned' to the Dutchmen, he was waived through the league first.

Thats 19 other teams that had a free pass at him. 19 other teams didnt want him for free.

Can we put to rest that as of current, he isnt good enough for a full time OHL roster spot?

I think we have all agreed that in his first season he was wronged in him development, and last year he saw limited play. That probably hurt him. In the same time, he wasnt better then the regular 6 that played either.

His time aside from an injury fill in is over.

Old
09-27-2012, 02:28 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Further on the Young story, according to Josh Brown's blog, of the Record, Young wasnt just 'Assigned' to the Dutchmen, he was waived through the league first.

Thats 19 other teams that had a free pass at him. 19 other teams didnt want him for free.

Can we put to rest that as of current, he isnt good enough for a full time OHL roster spot?

I think we have all agreed that in his first season he was wronged in him development, and last year he saw limited play. That probably hurt him. In the same time, he wasnt better then the regular 6 that played either.

His time aside from an injury fill in is over.

That's a self-fulfilling prophecy since when you never really get a chance to develop you then can't tell if you had more room for development than someone else. Kids mature at different ages and never allowing a player to get out of the gate is a sentence to failure. Not saying it wasn't possible for him to never develop enough to be a regular but that recipe was only going to see one result and it's unfortunate for him right now. That's a big blow in the kid's universe right now.

Old
09-27-2012, 02:39 PM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
That's a self-fulfilling prophecy since when you never really get a chance to develop you then can't tell if you had more room for development than someone else. Kids mature at different ages and never allowing a player to get out of the gate is a sentence to failure. Not saying it wasn't possible for him to never develop enough to be a regular but that recipe was only going to see one result and it's unfortunate for him right now. That's a big blow in the kid's universe right now.
I agree it must certainly be disappointing without a doubt. But I dont believe Spott would not play him to sabotage him. He evidently had his reasons, whether that was a heightened expectation of what he was to become which never amounted to that, or whatever it may be.

The good news is he'll see some ice time.

Old
09-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
The problem is the transfer agreement between USA hockey and Canada. Once he was signed, he had to be on the roster. The only way you can tranfer a 16 year old across the boarder is if he is in the OHL. The Rangers signed him because they believed he could be an OHL player, and wanted to make sure he committed to the program.

It was a bad situation to put the kid in, but there wasn't much the Rangers could have done differently.

Old
09-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Phatpat88

Season ticket packages will be available for pick up this Saturday, September 29 and Sunday, September 30 from 10:00am – 4:00pm in the Subscribers Lounge at the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium.

If you are unable to collect your season ticket package September 29 or 30, season ticket pickup will resume Tuesday, October 2 from 5-8pm in the Subscribers Lounge. Please note: season ticket packages will NOT be available for pickup on Monday, October 1.

IMPORTANT: If you are sending someone to collect your season ticket package on your behalf, you must send them with a signed Letter of Authorization.

Season ticket packages cannot be picked up during The Aud’s regular box office hours. Season tickets will only be available during the following pickup times:

Saturday, September 29: 10:00am – 4:00pm
Sunday, September 30: 10:00am – 4:00pm
Monday, October 1: CLOSED
Tuesday, October 2: 5:00pm – 8:00pm
Wednesday, October 3: 5:00pm – 8:00pm
Thursday, October 4: 5:00pm – 8:00pm
Friday, October 5: 5:00pm – 8:00pm
Saturday, October 6: 10:00am – 2:00pm

Please note: All season tickets must be picked up in the Subscribers Lounge at the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium.

Old
09-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Phatpat88

http://m.thn.com/?content=e645aaf59a...news-prospects good read on Bailey

Old
09-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Loosie

Quote:

Tickets are available now. GO to http://www.centre-square.com/, click on Buy Tickets, then click on Kitchener Memorial Auditorium, the Kitchener Rangers to get to the games.

EDIT: And then you have to wait until Saturday to actually buy the tickets

Old
09-27-2012, 06:18 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Not quite true. For most of that run, Midensky was healthy and scratched despite having gotten the nod over him during the end run of the season. But I digress.

I may be wrong, but at the start of playoffs, I thought Midensky was still out with a concussion from the scrap he got into at London.

Also, considering the styles of game of both Midensky and Young, Young would have been the safer player to put in the lineup.

At the end of the day, as far as value goes, neither of these guys should have been in the lineup. Had Spott dealt for a little depth at the deadline......

At least Young is still in the system and could be brought up in the event of injury. He'll probably be a callup once his JrB season is done as well.

Old
09-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Really disappointed with Kitcheners effort even strength tonight. They didn't seem to be able to develop anything when they're not a man up. And it's a loss. Kitchener shouldn't lose games like this, the team is supposed to be one of the best in the CHL.

And this is really going to be a problem, playing against teams that play a trap style. Only way to counter that is dump and chase, and Kitchener does that horribly.

Closed Thread