HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part III (First 2 weeks of season cancelled)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-26-2012, 11:32 AM
  #51
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickel41 View Post
Why?
Why?

I'd rather watch a Whale game with some prospects happening live, than yet another old Ranger game on MSG where I know the outcome.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 01:17 PM
  #52
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
If MSG wants ratings, they'll broadcast the games. Do they have rights? This might not be as simple as it sounds. Haven't they showed AHL All-Star games previously, though?

I'd definitely watch the games. Lot of kids to see..

KreiMeARiver* is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 02:45 PM
  #53
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
This is too good.


Clowes Line is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 02:55 PM
  #54
NYRKING30
Registered User
 
NYRKING30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,857
vCash: 500
I think during the late 90's they would show some wolfpack games on MSG. Count me in to hoping theres something they do about it. The AHL live streaming is just not worth the price.

NYRKING30 is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 03:13 PM
  #55
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,348
vCash: 500
so the latest I've heard is that Mcguire is saying thanksgiving for hockey to come back?

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 03:25 PM
  #56
Kreider Typical
flex
 
Kreider Typical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
so the latest I've heard is that Mcguire is saying thanksgiving for hockey to come back?
basically he was just saying he doesn't expect a lockout to last long because 'the players want to play'. idk where he came up w/ thanksgiving

Kreider Typical is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 03:53 PM
  #57
NYRKING30
Registered User
 
NYRKING30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,857
vCash: 500
Yeah take that with a grain of salt. Everybody has a different opinion.

NYRKING30 is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 04:12 PM
  #58
turcotte8
Registered User
 
turcotte8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,871
vCash: 500
Jim Cerny ‏@JimCerny

For all of those asking, I do not know if MSG will broadcast any @CTWhale games this season...there's been no official word either way

turcotte8 is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 07:46 PM
  #59
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
basically he was just saying he doesn't expect a lockout to last long because 'the players want to play'. idk where he came up w/ thanksgiving
good, then lets just sign the new CBA, put your skates on and get out there then if you ""want to play" so bad.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 08:41 PM
  #60
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
If MSG wants ratings, they'll broadcast the games. Do they have rights? This might not be as simple as it sounds. Haven't they showed AHL All-Star games previously, though?

I'd definitely watch the games. Lot of kids to see..
Do you really think more than a few thousand people will tune into a game where they don't know the majority of players on the "home" team and don't know any of the players on the team Hartford is playing? And do you really think companies that paid for advertising on a Ranger game are going to bother with an AHL game unless they get a substantial discount? That, plus the cost of actually getting announcers to the game and getting all the technical equipment up and running just doesn't leave anything left.

If I remember correctly, MSG boardcast a few Wolfpack games during the last lockout, but certainly none were broadcast in October or November. Most likely the lockout would have to drag on past Christmas/New Year's before it even becomes a possibility.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now  
Old
09-26-2012, 09:20 PM
  #61
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Do you really think more than a few thousand people will tune into a game where they don't know the majority of players on the "home" team and don't know any of the players on the team Hartford is playing? And do you really think companies that paid for advertising on a Ranger game are going to bother with an AHL game unless they get a substantial discount? That, plus the cost of actually getting announcers to the game and getting all the technical equipment up and running just doesn't leave anything left.

If I remember correctly, MSG boardcast a few Wolfpack games during the last lockout, but certainly none were broadcast in October or November. Most likely the lockout would have to drag on past Christmas/New Year's before it even becomes a possibility.
I know I'd watch. one, because it's ****ing hockey. And two, because I get to see Kreider play, no different than the excitement I got when I saw that a BC game was being televised.

Clowes Line is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 09:46 PM
  #62
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
I know I'd watch. one, because it's ****ing hockey. And two, because I get to see Kreider play, no different than the excitement I got when I saw that a BC game was being televised.
Great, now there are two people who swear they will watch the game. Recruit 30,000 or so more and I bet MSG would have AHL games on its schedule regardless of a lockout on the NHL level.

I'm not suggesting that there wouldn't be people willing to watch--I'm saying that there aren't enough viewers when you take into account the cost of putting a game on TV.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now  
Old
09-26-2012, 09:54 PM
  #63
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Great, now there are two people who swear they will watch the game. Recruit 30,000 or so more and I bet MSG would have AHL games on its schedule regardless of a lockout on the NHL level.

I'm not suggesting that there wouldn't be people willing to watch--I'm saying that there aren't enough viewers when you take into account the cost of putting a game on TV.
At the same time they got Traverse city up last year. I agree its not super likely but I have my fingers crossed.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 10:15 PM
  #64
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,588
vCash: 500
A "recap" of tonight's game:

http://www.nyrangersblog.com/2012-ar...on-game-1.html

Jabroni is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 11:19 PM
  #65
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
so the latest I've heard is that Mcguire is saying thanksgiving for hockey to come back?
Canadian Thanksgiving?

(Next Monday)

Kershaw is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 11:19 PM
  #66
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Canadian Thanksgiving?

(Next Monday)
I wish

Silence Of The Plams is offline  
Old
09-27-2012, 02:52 AM
  #67
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
so the latest I've heard is that Mcguire is saying thanksgiving for hockey to come back?
Yeah, Thanksgiving 2013.

beastly115 is offline  
Old
09-27-2012, 07:50 AM
  #68
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastly115 View Post
Yeah, Thanksgiving 2013.
If Bettman cancels the season, then I would not be surprised. Not that it matters, but by and large, the public and the reporters seem to be either on the player's side or at least not at all sympathetic to the owners. Plus, I think that people truly underrate Fehr. There is a reason that he exists and that the NHLPA has hired him. Similarly, to the way that the owners trusted Bettman when he told them that the best way to get what they want is to cancel an entire season.

Off course if that does happen, any good publicity that the NHL has actually managed to get right, such as through the HBO 24/7 series, will probably be gone forever.

True Blue is offline  
Old
09-27-2012, 08:40 AM
  #69
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
If Bettman cancels the season, then I would not be surprised. Not that it matters, but by and large, the public and the reporters seem to be either on the player's side or at least not at all sympathetic to the owners. Plus, I think that people truly underrate Fehr. There is a reason that he exists and that the NHLPA has hired him. Similarly, to the way that the owners trusted Bettman when he told them that the best way to get what they want is to cancel an entire season.

Off course if that does happen, any good publicity that the NHL has actually managed to get right, such as through the HBO 24/7 series, will probably be gone forever.
Thats true, but also misguided in my opinion. I feel like the public sides with the players in most sports labor disputes because they feel a certain bond. An imaginary bond, in my opinion - and, if it exists at all, it certainly disappears during fiscal disputes.

Anyway, besides a ludicrous first offer, I think Bettman and the owners have been handling the negotiations much better than Fehr and company, who havent moved the needle much at all lately.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
09-27-2012, 08:47 AM
  #70
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Thats true, but also misguided in my opinion. I feel like the public sides with the players in most sports labor disputes because they feel a certain bond. An imaginary bond, in my opinion - and, if it exists at all, it certainly disappears during fiscal disputes.

Anyway, besides a ludicrous first offer, I think Bettman and the owners have been handling the negotiations much better than Fehr and company, who havent moved the needle much at all lately.
That's exactly it. The offer was so ludicrous, that any movement on it seems huge.

Not sure that it is true that most of times, public sides with players. Last time, I do not recall as much lashing out at owners as I see printed now. The NHL had the revenue numbers on their side last time. Not this time. Plus, what I really think has soured the view of owners and Bettman, is that you simply cannot sign players to such contracts, only to turn around two days latter and say that your business cannot continue under such conditions.

True Blue is offline  
Old
09-27-2012, 09:38 AM
  #71
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,848
vCash: 500
Jimmy D may have given Fehr some leverage with his comments from last week. All Fehr needs is to get George Nicolau and find the NHL guilty of collusion. http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-comments.html

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
09-27-2012, 09:48 AM
  #72
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
All Fehr needs is to get George Nicolau and find the NHL guilty of collusion.
That is true. Though I am a little surprised that the "not negotiating in good faith" card has not yet been played to a court system. This time around, I think that the players have a very good case. Given the contracts that were handed out days before the lockout.

True Blue is offline  
Old
09-27-2012, 10:11 AM
  #73
FOD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Thats true, but also misguided in my opinion. I feel like the public sides with the players in most sports labor disputes because they feel a certain bond. An imaginary bond, in my opinion - and, if it exists at all, it certainly disappears during fiscal disputes.

Anyway, besides a ludicrous first offer, I think Bettman and the owners have been handling the negotiations much better than Fehr and company, who havent moved the needle much at all lately.

Interesting article. Maybe Bettman should take a rollback in his salary.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...8_million_nhl/

FOD is offline  
Old
09-27-2012, 10:14 AM
  #74
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
That is true. Though I am a little surprised that the "not negotiating in good faith" card has not yet been played to a court system. This time around, I think that the players have a very good case. Given the contracts that were handed out days before the lockout.
I don't think it's something you raise until you're certain you're at a deadlock and negotiations aren't going anywhere. Otherwise, it's just a surefire way to piss off the other side at this point

Levitate is offline  
Old
09-27-2012, 11:18 AM
  #75
MugatuNYR
so hot right now
 
MugatuNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,867
vCash: 500
Capping contracts at 5 years would solve all the issues with front-loading contracts. The PA would never go for it though.

MugatuNYR is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.