HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part III (First 2 weeks of season cancelled)

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickel41 View Post
Why?
Why?

I'd rather watch a Whale game with some prospects happening live, than yet another old Ranger game on MSG where I know the outcome.

Old
09-26-2012, 01:17 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

If MSG wants ratings, they'll broadcast the games. Do they have rights? This might not be as simple as it sounds. Haven't they showed AHL All-Star games previously, though?

I'd definitely watch the games. Lot of kids to see..

Old
09-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

This is too good.

Old
09-26-2012, 02:55 PM
NYRKING30

I think during the late 90's they would show some wolfpack games on MSG. Count me in to hoping theres something they do about it. The AHL live streaming is just not worth the price.

Old
09-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Lundsanity30

so the latest I've heard is that Mcguire is saying thanksgiving for hockey to come back?

Old
09-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
so the latest I've heard is that Mcguire is saying thanksgiving for hockey to come back?
basically he was just saying he doesn't expect a lockout to last long because 'the players want to play'. idk where he came up w/ thanksgiving

Old
09-26-2012, 03:53 PM
NYRKING30

Yeah take that with a grain of salt. Everybody has a different opinion.

Old
09-26-2012, 04:12 PM
turcotte8

Jim Cerny ‏@JimCerny

For all of those asking, I do not know if MSG will broadcast any @CTWhale games this season...there's been no official word either way

Old
09-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
basically he was just saying he doesn't expect a lockout to last long because 'the players want to play'. idk where he came up w/ thanksgiving
good, then lets just sign the new CBA, put your skates on and get out there then if you ""want to play" so bad.

Old
09-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
If MSG wants ratings, they'll broadcast the games. Do they have rights? This might not be as simple as it sounds. Haven't they showed AHL All-Star games previously, though?

I'd definitely watch the games. Lot of kids to see..
Do you really think more than a few thousand people will tune into a game where they don't know the majority of players on the "home" team and don't know any of the players on the team Hartford is playing? And do you really think companies that paid for advertising on a Ranger game are going to bother with an AHL game unless they get a substantial discount? That, plus the cost of actually getting announcers to the game and getting all the technical equipment up and running just doesn't leave anything left.

If I remember correctly, MSG boardcast a few Wolfpack games during the last lockout, but certainly none were broadcast in October or November. Most likely the lockout would have to drag on past Christmas/New Year's before it even becomes a possibility.

Old
09-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Do you really think more than a few thousand people will tune into a game where they don't know the majority of players on the "home" team and don't know any of the players on the team Hartford is playing? And do you really think companies that paid for advertising on a Ranger game are going to bother with an AHL game unless they get a substantial discount? That, plus the cost of actually getting announcers to the game and getting all the technical equipment up and running just doesn't leave anything left.

If I remember correctly, MSG boardcast a few Wolfpack games during the last lockout, but certainly none were broadcast in October or November. Most likely the lockout would have to drag on past Christmas/New Year's before it even becomes a possibility.
I know I'd watch. one, because it's ****ing hockey. And two, because I get to see Kreider play, no different than the excitement I got when I saw that a BC game was being televised.

Old
09-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
I know I'd watch. one, because it's ****ing hockey. And two, because I get to see Kreider play, no different than the excitement I got when I saw that a BC game was being televised.
Great, now there are two people who swear they will watch the game. Recruit 30,000 or so more and I bet MSG would have AHL games on its schedule regardless of a lockout on the NHL level.

I'm not suggesting that there wouldn't be people willing to watch--I'm saying that there aren't enough viewers when you take into account the cost of putting a game on TV.

Old
09-26-2012, 09:54 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Great, now there are two people who swear they will watch the game. Recruit 30,000 or so more and I bet MSG would have AHL games on its schedule regardless of a lockout on the NHL level.

I'm not suggesting that there wouldn't be people willing to watch--I'm saying that there aren't enough viewers when you take into account the cost of putting a game on TV.
At the same time they got Traverse city up last year. I agree its not super likely but I have my fingers crossed.

09-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

A "recap" of tonight's game:

http://www.nyrangersblog.com/2012-ar...on-game-1.html

Old
09-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Canadian Thanksgiving?

(Next Monday)

Old
09-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Canadian Thanksgiving?

(Next Monday)
I wish

Old
09-27-2012, 02:52 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Yeah, Thanksgiving 2013.

Old
09-27-2012, 07:50 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastly115 View Post
Yeah, Thanksgiving 2013.
If Bettman cancels the season, then I would not be surprised. Not that it matters, but by and large, the public and the reporters seem to be either on the player's side or at least not at all sympathetic to the owners. Plus, I think that people truly underrate Fehr. There is a reason that he exists and that the NHLPA has hired him. Similarly, to the way that the owners trusted Bettman when he told them that the best way to get what they want is to cancel an entire season.

Off course if that does happen, any good publicity that the NHL has actually managed to get right, such as through the HBO 24/7 series, will probably be gone forever.

Old
09-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
If Bettman cancels the season, then I would not be surprised. Not that it matters, but by and large, the public and the reporters seem to be either on the player's side or at least not at all sympathetic to the owners. Plus, I think that people truly underrate Fehr. There is a reason that he exists and that the NHLPA has hired him. Similarly, to the way that the owners trusted Bettman when he told them that the best way to get what they want is to cancel an entire season.

Off course if that does happen, any good publicity that the NHL has actually managed to get right, such as through the HBO 24/7 series, will probably be gone forever.
Thats true, but also misguided in my opinion. I feel like the public sides with the players in most sports labor disputes because they feel a certain bond. An imaginary bond, in my opinion - and, if it exists at all, it certainly disappears during fiscal disputes.

Anyway, besides a ludicrous first offer, I think Bettman and the owners have been handling the negotiations much better than Fehr and company, who havent moved the needle much at all lately.

Old
09-27-2012, 08:47 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Thats true, but also misguided in my opinion. I feel like the public sides with the players in most sports labor disputes because they feel a certain bond. An imaginary bond, in my opinion - and, if it exists at all, it certainly disappears during fiscal disputes.

Anyway, besides a ludicrous first offer, I think Bettman and the owners have been handling the negotiations much better than Fehr and company, who havent moved the needle much at all lately.
That's exactly it. The offer was so ludicrous, that any movement on it seems huge.

Not sure that it is true that most of times, public sides with players. Last time, I do not recall as much lashing out at owners as I see printed now. The NHL had the revenue numbers on their side last time. Not this time. Plus, what I really think has soured the view of owners and Bettman, is that you simply cannot sign players to such contracts, only to turn around two days latter and say that your business cannot continue under such conditions.

Old
09-27-2012, 09:38 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Jimmy D may have given Fehr some leverage with his comments from last week. All Fehr needs is to get George Nicolau and find the NHL guilty of collusion. http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-comments.html

Old
09-27-2012, 09:48 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
All Fehr needs is to get George Nicolau and find the NHL guilty of collusion.
That is true. Though I am a little surprised that the "not negotiating in good faith" card has not yet been played to a court system. This time around, I think that the players have a very good case. Given the contracts that were handed out days before the lockout.

Old
09-27-2012, 10:11 AM
FOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

Interesting article. Maybe Bettman should take a rollback in his salary.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...8_million_nhl/

Old
09-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
That is true. Though I am a little surprised that the "not negotiating in good faith" card has not yet been played to a court system. This time around, I think that the players have a very good case. Given the contracts that were handed out days before the lockout.
I don't think it's something you raise until you're certain you're at a deadlock and negotiations aren't going anywhere. Otherwise, it's just a surefire way to piss off the other side at this point

Old
09-27-2012, 11:18 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Capping contracts at 5 years would solve all the issues with front-loading contracts. The PA would never go for it though.

Closed Thread