HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Klaus Catsby, Esquire

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
Edgar Rice Burroughs is cool and all but it saddens me that when people hear the name John Carter they don't think about the greatest clarinetist of the twentieth century but rather of a terrible Disney film.

people outside of highschool bands play the clarinet? Who knew?

Old
09-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Shady Machine

I love Lost. I am by no means a television snob so popular shows on major networks are all I really have time or money for (no HBO). My snobbery is limited to music, beer, and some food.

Anyway, ever since Lost ended, I haven't been able to find a show that has captivated me like that (of course I haven't really tried). We had Lost watch parties and spent hours discussing theories on what was happening, re-watching episodes, etc. It was so damn good IMO. The ending disappointed me as someone looking for some epic closing but I suppose that should have been expected.

I used to say to my girlfriend (now wife) after watching 5 hours of Lost in a day to catch up that it was the only show where I never felt lazy or guilty for wasting my time in front of a TV all day. I always felt like I was living when watching the show. It's tough to explain but my whole being was captivated.

Old
09-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Shady Machine

On another random note, I'm kind of bored with my life. I'm almost 26 married and bought a house. I've done all of the American dream things in order and step with what is expected. That makes me feel like a hypocrite because I always felt different than the norm.

On the flip side I am happy with all of those decisions and extremely lucky and blessed to have such a great wife/family etc but just feel like I'm going through the motions with life so to speak.

Basically it just boils down to a lack of passion in my career and not a great idea of where to go from here. Anyway, random rant but I'm always intrigued and amazed at how people arrive at their desired careers, life paths, passions etc. I'm not really motivated by money (but I have a standard of living I need to maintain with my student loan debt) and I change my mind nearly every day on what I'd be motivated by other than the general "make an impact or difference" crap that I tell myself. Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled discussions...

Last edited by Shady Machine: 09-27-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old
09-27-2012, 11:09 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Shady, whenever I see your username, I can't help but think of this.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
09-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Ya both would have been way better if they were originally written to be 1-3 seasons each with a clear beginning and end already planned.

Granted, I still liked Lost at the end. There was a lot of garbage in the middle, but there were still some amazing episodes as the years went on. I thought it did a good job to pick back up once the ending was announced. Dexter is looking to follow the same mold. Awesome beginning, pretty rough in the middle but (crosses fingers) the last two seasons are looking promising.

I mean I'm no writer, but it seems to me like the middle will always be tough in those shows. The beginning gets to introduce everything and everything is fresh. The end you can start doing whatever you want to do to lead you to the finish line. But in the middle you are just dragging your feet basically.
Abrams wanted Lost to have a set end date...but it cost so damn much to make that it needed a long run to be profitable and that's why you ended up seeing it watered down. Lost was either going to be cancelled outright and written off as the biggest failure in television history or it was going to run at least 5 seasons, there was no potential for a middle ground there.

Despite it being a huge money-making success at the end it still cost so much that he ABC President was fired for taking such a huge risk.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
09-27-2012, 11:37 AM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
On another random note, I'm kind of bored with my life. I'm almost 26 married and bought a house. I've done all of the American dream things in order and step with what is expected. That makes me feel like a hypocrite because I always felt different than the norm.

On the flip side I am happy with all of those decisions and extremely lucky and blessed to have such a great wife/family etc but just feel like I'm going through the motions with life so to speak.

Basically it just boils down to a lack of passion in my career and not a great idea of where to go from here. Anyway, random rant but I'm always intrigued and amazed at how people arrive at their desired careers' life paths, passions etc. I'm not really motivated by money (but I have a standard of living I need to maintain with my student loan debt) and my mind changes it's mind nearly every day on what I'd be motivated by other than the general "make an impact or difference" crap that I tell myself. Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled discussions...
Boredom is the worst thing ever - find something that gets you excited and start pouring your energy into that.

And if you don't like your job - find a new one.

Old
09-27-2012, 12:28 PM
hctopcheds11

Big Mc, I finally tried Parks and Recreation last night. I'm about half way through the 2nd season and so far it's been pretty enjoyable. Didn't think I would like it due to having The Office like humor (I'm an Office fan and I guess for some silly reason didn't want to give such a similar show a shot), but it has some pretty awesome characters. Loving Ron, the guy who fell in the pit (name escapes me) and Tom so far.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Old
09-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
Big Mc, I finally tried Parks and Recreation last night. I'm about half way through the 2nd season and so far it's been pretty enjoyable. Didn't think I would like it due to having The Office like humor (I'm an Office fan and I guess for some silly reason didn't want to give such a similar show a shot), but it has some pretty awesome characters. Loving Ron, the guy who fell in the pit (name escapes me) and Tom so far.

Thanks for the recommendation.
I hated it at first. it really gets better in season two and on.

Old
09-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

The first season is just putrid. This is one of the extremely rare examples of a network re-tooling of a show fixed things.

I remember being so excited for the first episode...and absolutely hating it and taking three years to give the show a second chance. I still haven't seen the 4th, 5th, or 6th episodes and I really don't care to. It's the same with the American Office, it's best to just ignore that first six episode half-season.

I'm glad you like it so far andy (the guy who fell into the pit is Andy Dwyer, for the record ), the midpoint of the second season (also like The Office) is where the show really started to hit it's stride. There's a few episodes before it, but the hunting trip episode (I think it's the 7th episode of the season) is generally what I consider to be the first truly 'great' one, and the show hasn't looked back since.

Old
09-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Old
09-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

One of my five moments in television history right there.

Old
09-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Yeah, the first season was pretty damn awful. Granted, I had a biased viewpoint from the start because I heard how bad the first season was before I saw it, but yikes...The 2nd and 3rd season are tied for the best in my opinion. The 4th is damn good as well.

Old
09-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Realised yesterday that I've got serious commitment issues, post ex girlfriend.

Damn. Guess it's not that strange though after being with someone for four years and then it all being flushed down the drain. Figured i'd be more okay with potentialy having a relationship after being single for a year +

Old
09-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Old
09-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
One of my five moments in television history right there.

Old
09-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
people outside of highschool bands play the clarinet? Who knew?

you're on a roll. dissing my heros Charlie Rose and John Carter while proping up that sorry excuse for a show, Heros.

Old
09-27-2012, 07:27 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Anyone want some Sketti?

Frightening.

Old
09-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post

you're on a roll. dissing my heros Charlie Rose and John Carter while proping up that sorry excuse for a show, Heros.
haha sorry, nothing against either. I literally don't know who either of those people are.

Old
09-27-2012, 07:47 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Holy **** this thread title. I ****in' loved Rocko and especially the Wacky Delly episode.

Old
09-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
haha sorry, nothing against either. I literally don't know who either of those people are.
ha. i'm just foolin' around. Charlie Rose is always intellectual but rarely pretentious. it's a welcomed deviation from traditional late night talk show fare.

i know we've mentioned the Larry Sanders Show before, but if the whole Conan fiasco intrigues you, you should really check the show out. it's all on Netflix instant. a lot of the plot focuses on the 90s talk show wars and the likes of Arsenio Hall, Letterman and Leno are mentioned every couple of episodes. Larry and co are particularly brutal (and rightfully so) when dealing with Leno, whereas they have more of a friendly rivalry with Letterman. it's funny because Garry Shandling (guy who plays Larry) and David Letterman were the two favorite candidates to succeed Johnny Carson but Leno ended up with the gig. latter on Jon Stewart shows up as himself and plays Larry's protege/potential replacement.

here's Shandling guest hosting Carson's Late Night Show

Old
09-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

continuing our collective conversation on the current inadequacy of network television I want to say that I will be watching Last Resort on ABC.

Andre Braugher is a great actor and a personal favorite of mine and my pops designs submarine-launched ballistic missile. if ABC can't make good TV out of one of the finest actors of the last 25 years + missiles + #39, #30, #24 and #15 on this list of the 40 Sexiest Women of Fall TV, then we have really reached the end of television and perhaps, the end of history.

Old
09-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
Realised yesterday that I've got serious commitment issues, post ex girlfriend.

Damn. Guess it's not that strange though after being with someone for four years and then it all being flushed down the drain. Figured i'd be more okay with potentialy having a relationship after being single for a year +
missed this before talking about how awesome ron swanson is. It is definitely tough to get yourself interested in doing the whole commitment thing again after something like that. I'll just say it seems to come back eventually and you get married and live happily ever after. at least for a month now

Old
09-28-2012, 12:51 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I am a roooooooooooooobot

Old
09-28-2012, 02:13 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
huh. I wouldn't have guessed, but also not completely shocking.

Old
09-28-2012, 09:33 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Since that's the case, you should just listen to this all the time lol.

Closed Thread