HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2012, 12:04 PM
JackSlater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I don't see it... favorite to win? Yes! Dominate? No. Remember, the 1995 team was in Canada...and if it weren't for a miracle comeback in the 3rd against the Czechs... I don't think the 1995 tournament was all that easy... in fact none of the 15 gold medals have ever been easy except for 2005.

Much tougher to do in Ufa... And my prediction is Canada-Sweden gold medal game..will be a toss up... bronze medal game US-Russia. US wins.
The 1995 win wasn't easy I agree, but it was apparent that the Canadian team was still a step above everyone else. That was without the full roster too; everyone forgets that Gratton and Witt didn't play in 1995.

I don't really see any reason to expect anything but domination. Canada should have the best defence this tournament has seen in years, the best player the tournament has seen in years, one of the best goaltenders in the tournament and an elite collection of forwards. They can still lose, but I wouldn't put any other team all that close as of right now.

Old
10-01-2012, 12:31 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

according to bob mckenzie, most of the games will be starting at 4 am EST

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Just looked at 2013 WJC schedule in Ufa, Russia. Mostly 4:30 am ET starts for Team Canada altho CAN-RUS on Dec. 31 is 9 am ET.

Which means Easterners will be waking up early and Westerners will just be coming in and having to stay up later. Gold medal game is 8 am ET

Bob McKenzie Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
CAN-USA is 4:30 am ET on Sunday Dec. 30.

Old
10-01-2012, 02:36 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
according to bob mckenzie, most of the games will be starting at 4 am EST

Just looked at 2013 WJC schedule in Ufa, Russia. Mostly 4:30 am ET starts for Team Canada altho CAN-RUS on Dec. 31 is 9 am ET.

Which means Easterners will be waking up early and Westerners will just be coming in and having to stay up later. Gold medal game is 8 am ET

Bob McKenzie Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
CAN-USA is 4:30 am ET on Sunday Dec. 30.
Honestly not that bad for those of us in Atlantic Canada. Besides, it'll be fun to experience the tournament like many of our European friends.

Old
10-02-2012, 10:13 AM
tourlord*

4:30am? Damn

Old
10-04-2012, 08:43 AM
tourlord*

Caught a quick glimpse of Mckenzie on TSN talking about who he thinks might make the team. Listened to what hehad to say and heres what I have.

Huberdeau - Nugent-Hopkins - Rattie
Hudon - Scheifele- Griffith
Monahan - Strome - Danault
Lessio - Jenner - Wilson
Mackinnon

Murray - Hamilton
Harrington - Ouelette
Reilly - Murphy
Dumba

Subban
Fucale
Brossoit?

Tell me what you guys think..

Last edited by tourlord*: 10-11-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old
10-04-2012, 08:40 PM
67sfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourlord View Post
Caught a quick glimpse of Mckenzie on TSN talking about who he thinks might make the team. Listened to what hehad to say and heres what I have.

Huberdeau - Nugent-Hopkins - Rattie
Hudon - Scheifele- Griffith
Monahan - Strome - Danault
Lessio - Jenner - Wilson

Murray - Hamilton
Harrington - Ouelette
Rielly - Murphy

Subban
Binnington (Brossoit?)

Tell me what you guys think..
Pretty much agree with your predictions. However you forgot either a 13th forward or 8th defenceman (whom I think will be MacKinnon)

For obvious biased reasons I'd like to see Ceci make the team.....but this year with the lockout depth....just don't know.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:53 AM
espo*

Based on what I saw in that recently played 40th anniversary series against Russia i'd have to disagree with you here, I didn't see a dominant ability team. sure, Hopkins would really help but he's just one guy and though he would/should be the best player there I don't think he's so all world yet his mere presence makes that team dominant.

The defense on paper is stacked yes,.............. on paper. As a UNIT in that series however they didn't blow me away with their collective play.

As for having one of the best goaltenders, I guess you are talking about Subban. I'll believe that when he shows me in the tournament, far too many letdowns on that front for far too long to just go on potential or OHL rep.

I agree they will be the fave going in and should be but I really question just how dominant they will be at all. Wouldn't in the least be surprised if this team falls short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
The 1995 win wasn't easy I agree, but it was apparent that the Canadian team was still a step above everyone else. That was without the full roster too; everyone forgets that Gratton and Witt didn't play in 1995.

I don't really see any reason to expect anything but domination. Canada should have the best defence this tournament has seen in years, the best player the tournament has seen in years, one of the best goaltenders in the tournament and an elite collection of forwards. They can still lose, but I wouldn't put any other team all that close as of right now.

Old
10-05-2012, 09:37 AM
tourlord*

Lessio and Griffith really have to shine before December in my opinion to get a crack at making this team. Out of all of my picks those two I'm not real sure about.

p.s I added the two extra skaters.

Old
10-05-2012, 07:25 PM
KareemTrustfund
Bogus call, ref!

vCash: 50
I was very impressed with Lessio in the Canada Russia Challenge. I think we'll see him in Ufa.

Old
10-06-2012, 07:49 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post
Based on what I saw in that recently played 40th anniversary series against Russia i'd have to disagree with you here, I didn't see a dominant ability team. sure, Hopkins would really help but he's just one guy and though he would/should be the best player there I don't think he's so all world yet his mere presence makes that team dominant.

The defense on paper is stacked yes,.............. on paper. As a UNIT in that series however they didn't blow me away with their collective play.
You're putting a lot of stock into the results of a small series from the summer. I recall Canada clearly outplaying Russia when they received halfway decent goaltending, the defencemen included. That team was also without Nugent-Hopkins as you said, without Reinhart and MacKinnon and also made a concerted effort to make sure that all of the players brought for the team got some playing time, even when it meant sitting out the best players.

Quote:
As for having one of the best goaltenders, I guess you are talking about Subban. I'll believe that when he shows me in the tournament, far too many letdowns on that front for far too long to just go on potential or OHL rep.
So you aren't going to believe in Subban until he actually does it, just because some other goaltenders have failed for Canada? The way Subban has been playing he has more similarities to Price and Mason than he does to the more recent goaltenders. You use the Summit against the skaters, but you don't care that Subban also played and did quite well? That is overly pessimistic.

Quote:
I agree they will be the fave going in and should be but I really question just how dominant they will be at all. Wouldn't in the least be surprised if this team falls short.
Well if the lockout continues we will get the chance to see, my friend.

Old
10-06-2012, 08:34 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
I recall Canada clearly outplaying Russia when they received halfway decent goaltending, the defencemen included.
This is true.

Assuming the strike lasts thru Christmas...

Has anyone started a thread comparing (and ranking) Canada's three strike/lockout WJR teams?

Old
10-07-2012, 09:54 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Hey I was wondering are either Seguin, Hall, or Skinner available to play?

Old
10-07-2012, 10:02 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Hey I was wondering are either Seguin, Hall, or Skinner available to play?
None of the above...

Old
10-08-2012, 10:46 AM
sickest flow bro

My roster as of now...

Huberdeau- Nugent Hopkins- Mackinnon
Danault-Schiefele- Rattie
Lessio-Strome-Hudon
Monahan-Jenner-Di Giuseppe
Shinkaruk

Hamilton- Murray
Murphy- Oulette
Harrington- Reilly
Dumba

Subban
Brossoit

Old
10-08-2012, 12:04 PM
BDizzlez

what are some dark horses on d that have a chance to make the camp and maybe the team if they impress enough?

Old
10-08-2012, 10:05 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnk 4 Frk 2012 View Post
My roster as of now...

Huberdeau- Nugent Hopkins- Mackinnon
Danault-Schiefele- Rattie
Lessio-Strome-Hudon
Monahan-Jenner-Di Giuseppe
Shinkaruk

Hamilton- Murray
Murphy- Oulette
Harrington- Reilly
Dumba

Subban
Brossoit
Nice line up...but there is no way HC brings along 3 underage players...Monahan was great at the super series...and Mackinnon is a future 1st overall pick...i see both, but not Shinkaruk...

Old
10-09-2012, 09:33 AM
67sfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDizzlez View Post
what are some dark horses on d that have a chance to make the camp and maybe the team if they impress enough?
The first one that jumps out at me is Ceci. I say this mainly because last year at camp he really wasn't on anyone's radar, was the last defenseman cut, and at the time there was more than a few people believing he should have been on the team over Oleksiak and (pre tournament) Harrington.

Will he make the team this year? I don't know....I'm leaning towards no, but at this point it wouldn't be a huge shock if he played his way onto the team.

Old
10-10-2012, 10:29 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
My lineup as of right now:

Huberdeau-Nugent Hopkins-Rattie
Drouin-Scheifele-MacKinnon
Lessio-Strome-Hudon
Monahan-Jenner-Wilson
Danault

Hamilton-Murray
Harrington-Murphy
Reilly-Reinhart
Dumba

Subban
Fucale

I know that involves a few underagers, but with the way Drouin and MacKinnon are playing together right now how can you not take them both?

10-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
Huberdeau - RNH - Mackinnon
Strome - Scheiffele - Rattie
Monahan - St. Croix - Lazar
Lessio - Jenner - Wilson
Shinkaruk

Hamilton - Harrington
Reinhart - Murphy
Dumba - Murray
Reilly

Subban
Brossoit
Fucale

Young, Talented, but also has veteran presence, size and strength.
I know HC hasn't been very willing to bring in under-agers but after the last 3 years of results that we've had, it's time to mix things up.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella

Last edited by Royal Canuck: 10-10-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old
10-11-2012, 08:30 AM
espo*

Points taken but I still say this possible lockout team doesn't quite dominate on the level of those last 2 lockout clubs.

Let's wait and see, I figure the players cave before this happens anyway.

Quote:
You're putting a lot of stock into the results of a small series from the summer. I recall Canada clearly outplaying Russia when they received halfway decent goaltending, the defencemen included. That team was also without Nugent-Hopkins as you said, without Reinhart and MacKinnon and also made a concerted effort to make sure that all of the players brought for the team got some playing time, even when it meant sitting out the best players.

So you aren't going to believe in Subban until he actually does it, just because some other goaltenders have failed for Canada? The way Subban has been playing he has more similarities to Price and Mason than he does to the more recent goaltenders. You use the Summit against the skaters, but you don't care that Subban also played and did quite well? That is overly pessimistic.

Well if the lockout continues we will get the chance to see, my friend.

Old
10-13-2012, 04:03 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Points taken but I still say this possible lockout team doesn't quite dominate on the level of those last 2 lockout clubs.

Let's wait and see, I figure the players cave before this happens anyway.
Yes - on BOTH points.

I would like to see more teams predicted based on the assumption that the NHL will be back in full swing.

Old
10-13-2012, 09:26 AM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I would like to see more teams predicted based on the assumption that the NHL will be back in full swing.
NHL resumes tomorrow:

Danault Strome Rattie
Di Giuseppe MacKinnon Griffith
Lessio Monahan Wilson
Hudon Jenner Sissons
McNeil

Rielly Harrington
Murphy Reinhart
Ouelett Ceci
Dumba

Subban
Brossoit

Old
10-13-2012, 09:31 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
NHL resumes tomorrow:

Danault Strome Rattie
Di Giuseppe MacKinnon Griffith
Lessio Monahan Wilson
Hudon Jenner Sissons
McNeil

Rielly Harrington
Murphy Reinhart
Ouelett Ceci
Dumba

Subban
Brossoit
Thank you, sir! You may be one moody posters (smile) but you know your hockey... and your Big Brother.

Your hockey knowledge is sharper and more accurate than 95% of the posters on HF.

Last edited by KevyD: 10-13-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old
10-16-2012, 02:58 PM
JackSlater

Is Ryan Murphy playing with an injury? A single assist and no goals in eight games is pretty shocking for him.

Old
10-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Is Ryan Murphy playing with an injury? A single assist and no goals in eight games is pretty shocking for him.
He's actually playing pretty great, the numbers just aren't coming. Kitchener has only beeing scoring on the powerplay and every team so far has kept one man on Murphy, which usually mean's Murphy's getting, "the third assist".

For defensemen in the CHL it's all about how your team is scoring. That's why a guy like Hamilton can have 70+ points in 50 games last year and still not be the best offensive defensemen in the league.

Closed Thread