HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Good place for hard to find pro stocks (torres and Mair)

Old
09-23-2012, 12:12 PM
ScJeff

vCash: 500
Good place for hard to find pro stocks (torres and Mair)

Looking for a torres pro stock and a mair pro stock for a friend. hard to find.... anyone know good places to check out?

ScJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 05:29 PM
AIREAYE

ebay, PSHG, google pro stock hockey etc.etc.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 06:08 PM
ryangib

Contact the guy who runs powerplayauctions on eBay.

ryangib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 01:44 PM
leftwinger37

It's hard enough to find places that have a decent amount of pro stock gear, but it's even harder to find such specific items. Unless you have access to a team store where there's a steady stream of straight from the locker room gear for that specific team (here in the Detroit area you can buy Red Wings swag at Hockeytown Authentics), it's difficult to find the same player's pattern with any regularity.

Another issue is that players change their pattern frequently. PSHG had 6 different Pronger patterns at one time. If your buddy loved the Torres pattern stick he used to have, there is no guarantee that if he gets ahold of another one that it will be the exact same thing.

My advice would be to check out PSHG, ebay, HockeyMonkey, and any other sites that have been mentioned for something similar. I know it sucks, but you have to keep in mind that there are around 700 players in the NHL and even if every single one of them has a stick made to their exact specifications, at least two of them have to be somewhat similar.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 02:31 PM
AIREAYE

^Absolutely right. Many players use retail curves as well or very close approximations of retail curves. If you post a picture of the curves, maybe we can help you find similar ones.

Old
09-24-2012, 03:33 PM
ryangib

Hockey monkey pro stocks are fishy. Something about them just doesn't seem right. I live close to their store in New Jersey and have ordered pro stocks from their website. None of them feel right at all. I almost think they are ****ed up sticks tha they sell as pro stocks so they don't have to warranty them.

Old
09-24-2012, 04:21 PM
ScJeff

Ill try to get picks. Im trying to find soemone in buffalo to check the sabres store for me, tried calling and they were cluless to talk to and couldnt even check. Hockey moneky was a no.

I used to work in the retail end of hockey, but unfortunatley Easton and Warrior reps were the two i got the least report with.

Easton is primarily about the feeel and curve. THe Mair there is a slight emotional connection to so that one would be more awesome if it were exact!

Thanks for the ideas ill try to get some picks ASAP

ScJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 09:19 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangib View Post
Hockey monkey pro stocks are fishy. Something about them just doesn't seem right. I live close to their store in New Jersey and have ordered pro stocks from their website. None of them feel right at all. I almost think they are ****ed up sticks tha they sell as pro stocks so they don't have to warranty them.
How so?

You do know that even though they say 'U+ CL' or whatever, they are completely custom and are most likely painted to be the current model. Two sticks identical in paintjob could be very very different underneath.

Old
09-25-2012, 07:19 AM
ryangib

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
How so?

You do know that even though they say 'U+ CL' or whatever, they are completely custom and are most likely painted to be the current model. Two sticks identical in paintjob could be very very different underneath.
Yes I am aware of that. All i know is this, I used to go to that devils equipment sale every year when they were still having it. Bought tons of sticks from them, bought other pro stocks on eBay that felt on par with the ones from NJD. But something about the feel of the ones hockey monkey sells is just bizarre. I can't sit here and explain the differences as far as flex lie and weight, becsuse i simply am not educated enough on the subject. But as a guy who plays a lot of hockey and can really really appreciate a great feeling hockey stick, something about hockey monkey pro stocks just really rubs me the wrong way.

All that said, I still think he may have a chance of finding what he needs by contacting the guy at powerplayauctions on eBay. He's always got a great variety of things.

Have a good day.

Old
09-25-2012, 07:52 AM
AIREAYE

Fair enough, dude. Feel is hard to describe.

Old
09-27-2012, 12:24 PM
leftwinger37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangib View Post
Yes I am aware of that. All i know is this, I used to go to that devils equipment sale every year when they were still having it. Bought tons of sticks from them, bought other pro stocks on eBay that felt on par with the ones from NJD. But something about the feel of the ones hockey monkey sells is just bizarre. I can't sit here and explain the differences as far as flex lie and weight, becsuse i simply am not educated enough on the subject. But as a guy who plays a lot of hockey and can really really appreciate a great feeling hockey stick, something about hockey monkey pro stocks just really rubs me the wrong way.

All that said, I still think he may have a chance of finding what he needs by contacting the guy at powerplayauctions on eBay. He's always got a great variety of things.

Have a good day.
Out of curiosity, what brands or models did you find to be fishy? I'm not trying to be condescending, I'm just curious. I suspect that a lot of sticks available from Hockey Monkey, especially the CCM and Reebok offerings, although pro stock are not NHL pro stock. This could explain the step down in quality and feel from the sticks that you have gotten straight from an NHL locker room.

Not having played in the AHL, ECHL, etc. I am not sure what the arrangement is as far as how many/what kind of sticks are offered to them. I seem to remember hearing something like if you have a two-way contract you have to use CCM/Reebok or something to that effect. AAA or AA pro leagues might get lesser quality sticks painted with a graphics package of the current top-of-the-line stick; I mean- let's face it- no pee-wee age kid is going to pick up a SicKick because they saw Joe Blow rocking one for the Talahassee Wart Hogs, thus the teams and the manufacturer save money by issuing factory seconds to players at this level. That's what the stick game is all about: retail sales.

I don't pretend to be an expert on this and this is based on my assumptions. If anyone has additional insight or can set me straight on this, please let us know. Sorry to hi-jack this discussion.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 08:53 AM
ryangib

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinger37 View Post
Out of curiosity, what brands or models did you find to be fishy? I'm not trying to be condescending, I'm just curious. I suspect that a lot of sticks available from Hockey Monkey, especially the CCM and Reebok offerings, although pro stock are not NHL pro stock. This could explain the step down in quality and feel from the sticks that you have gotten straight from an NHL locker room.

Not having played in the AHL, ECHL, etc. I am not sure what the arrangement is as far as how many/what kind of sticks are offered to them. I seem to remember hearing something like if you have a two-way contract you have to use CCM/Reebok or something to that effect. AAA or AA pro leagues might get lesser quality sticks painted with a graphics package of the current top-of-the-line stick; I mean- let's face it- no pee-wee age kid is going to pick up a SicKick because they saw Joe Blow rocking one for the Talahassee Wart Hogs, thus the teams and the manufacturer save money by issuing factory seconds to players at this level. That's what the stick game is all about: retail sales.

I don't pretend to be an expert on this and this is based on my assumptions. If anyone has additional insight or can set me straight on this, please let us know. Sorry to hi-jack this discussion.
They were all Warriors.