HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Patrick Marleau

Old
09-26-2012, 05:51 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanPahlsson View Post
Can't, tell, if, sarcasm, or...
What are you talking about?

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 06:15 PM
SupermanPahlsson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
What are you talking about?
Where you said Anaheim is a good fit and Marleau would waive his NMC. Would he actually accept a trade to a division rival, or were you just being sarcastic?

SupermanPahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 06:23 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Where you said Anaheim is a good fit and Marleau would waive his NMC. Would he actually accept a trade to a division rival, or were you just being sarcastic?
Why would he care about Anaheim being a division rival? Location easily comes before team "hatred" (not to mention sticking it to the team that wanted you gone would be a benefit). Marleau's wife is from San Jose, so I don't think he'd want to go very far (LA, Anaheim, Vancouver).

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Mafoofoo
Jawesome

Quote:
Marleau's wife is a California girl and he loves it here. He'd probably only waive for LA and Anahiem.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 07:29 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Someone like Morin or J. Hayes?
Yeah, that's fine, prefer it to be Hayes.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 12:51 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
I know that Marleau puts up the points / goals, but as a Toronto fan I don't really have any interest in him or the game he brings with him, and we are desperate for someone who can play C too...
Care to actually explain why because there is absolutely no reason why Toronto wouldn't want a guy that plays both sides of the puck at a high level, can play center and wing, and is one of the fastest and most versatile skaters in this league.

Toronto would be fools to decline going after a guy that will make them better especially at the likely cost for the player...provided that he had Toronto on his list. Granted, that is something I doubt very highly. There's absolutely no reason not to bring him in if the price is right.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 02:03 AM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Marleau has crazy value to the Sharks, and he's not a 2nd line player. If he's on your second line, then you have an elite offensive team.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 07:48 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Marleau has crazy value to the Sharks, and he's not a 2nd line player. If he's on your second line, then you have an elite offensive team.
He'd be on Washington's 2nd line, and the Caps have been far from an elite offensive team the past two years.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 07:56 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Care to actually explain why because there is absolutely no reason why Toronto wouldn't want a guy that plays both sides of the puck at a high level, can play center and wing, and is one of the fastest and most versatile skaters in this league.

Toronto would be fools to decline going after a guy that will make them better especially at the likely cost for the player...provided that he had Toronto on his list. Granted, that is something I doubt very highly. There's absolutely no reason not to bring him in if the price is right.
I just find that he would not be the right fit for this team. And as I stated earlier, it may just be me but I feel like he suffers from "Alexei Kovalev" syndrome, aka shows up every night and puts points on the board, but I question how much he actually cares / shows leadership

At his salary and age, with questionable leadership ability he isn't what Toronto really needs right now.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
I just find that he would not be the right fit for this team. And as I stated earlier, it may just be me but I feel like he suffers from "Alexei Kovalev" syndrome, aka shows up every night and puts points on the board, but I question how much he actually cares / shows leadership

At his salary and age, with questionable leadership ability he isn't what Toronto really needs right now.
Care to get a lil more in depth regarding that statement???

Marleau is a 30+ goal scorer. He plays LW and Center, and he has blazing speed. He is EXACTLY what Toronto needs.

Lupul - Marleau - Kessel

How does this not seem like a fit to Leaf fans?

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Thepainter

Quote:

The real reason being nobody on Toronto is fast enough to keep up with him, nobody on Toronto would fall back and play defensively with him, and he'd probably outscore the rest of the team combined.

I see your point now, not a good fit at all.

Thepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 01:18 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
It's common knowledge that Marleau hates the Ducks with a passion.

09-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Care to get a lil more in depth regarding that statement???
If it counts for anything, the Sharks have had two of their best playoff finishes in franchise history since Marleau was stripped of his captaincy.

Toronto should still be all over him though.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 02:52 PM
digdug41982

Marleau was the only one who showed up against the Hawks in the Cup year. I'll always remember him for those performances.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
If it counts for anything, the Sharks have had two of their best playoff finishes in franchise history since Marleau was stripped of his captaincy.

Toronto should still be all over him though.
Toronto has NOT made the playoffs since Phaneuf was appointed Captain of the Leafs, should Burke trade him?

Old
09-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Toronto has NOT made the playoffs since Phaneuf was appointed Captain of the Leafs, should Burke trade him?
Like I said, if Marleau's available, Toronto should be all over him.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Like I said, if Marleau's available, Toronto should be all over him.
No player has dynamite playoff stats year after year, but IMO Marleau is a gamer who leaves it all on the ice. He's not overly physical, but he doesn't lack effort.

*Apologies, my post was intended for "TO Guy14"

Old
09-28-2012, 12:45 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Yeah ok keep telling yourself that. The Flames would jump for joy if Marleau was offered straight up for Glencross.
Yeah, we would jump at the chance of adding 4 million to our payroll for an extra 15pts a season. That will put us over top!

Players on contracts like the one that Glencross has are invaluable to a cap team. Glencross is pretty much a 30 goal guy at this point, plus he does so many other things well. I wouldn't make that trade and I doubt Feaster would either.

Marleau has more value, but Glencross is not leaving Calgary for him from our stand point. It makes zero sense.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 01:53 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Yeah, we would jump at the chance of adding 4 million to our payroll for an extra 15pts a season. That will put us over top!

Players on contracts like the one that Glencross has are invaluable to a cap team. Glencross is pretty much a 30 goal guy at this point, plus he does so many other things well. I wouldn't make that trade and I doubt Feaster would either.

Marleau has more value, but Glencross is not leaving Calgary for him from our stand point. It makes zero sense.
30 goal guy on a flukey 25% shooting.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:38 AM
mytor4*

Quote:

Pretty much a 30 goal guy.Come back when he hits 30 once in his career than we'll talk about him being a 30 goal guy.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:42 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:

I cant see Glencross sustaining that ridiculous shooting %. One would guess his goal totals will drop once his shooting % comes down to "human level". Still a great player to have for a playoff run, just not close to the caliber player Marleau is.

Old
09-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Mafoofoo
Jawesome

Quote:

Glencross is pretty much a 30 goal guy without ever having scored 30 in a season yet? What? That makes zero sense.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 02:27 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Glencross is pretty much a 30 goal guy without ever having scored 30 in a season yet? What? That makes zero sense.
Doncha know that most goalscorers peak at age 30? He's got nowhere to go but up!

Yes, I realize the irony of this because Marleau is one of the few players to be a more effective goalscorer in his thirties than his twenties.

Old
09-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

There is nothing flukey about Glencross' numbers. He has continually elevated his game and numbers each season and there is no doubt that he would of "eclipsed" the 30 goal mark barring injuries and suspensions last season. Glencross has a very accurate and deadly shot, and I expect him to continue to show improvement over the next few seasons.

Regardless, this thread is not about that. I said I would not trade Glencross for Marleau straight up and I adamantly stand behind those comments. There is not enough about Marleau that makes him worth 4 million a season more than Glencross. Hockey is a business and considering cap hits, I'll take Glencross every day of the week.

Old
09-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Doncha know that most goalscorers peak at age 30? He's got nowhere to go but up!

Yes, I realize the irony of this because Marleau is one of the few players to be a more effective goalscorer in his thirties than his twenties.
Doncha know it is fact that every player careers go downhill after they turn 30?

Its this typical mentality on HF that makes a poster lose all creditability to me. Absolutely ridiculous..