HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Parse...

Old
07-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Crown Royal

vCash: 500
Parse has skills but he has a glass hip to go with it. I think the Kings front office might finally wash their hands of him now. It's too bad really. No sooner than he shows some potential, he ends up injured......again!

Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Mxpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I wish we could keep him around. I'd rather have on the roster than Westgarth.

Realistically though, I don't see where he fits in here. I could see him ending up in Detroit.
Detroit is a possibility. Didn't Parse actually sign a tryout agreement with their minor league system a few years ago?

I was never a big fan of Parse. Has some skill but not enough to be a top 6er in my opinion. If he moved to another club and transformed his game, I could see him molding into a Dan Cleary, but not much else

Mxpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Moses Doughty
Long term bandwagons

Stinks he could not stay healthy. The hips get you every time. Was a pretty good player before and was on his way to a decent career if he didn't get hurt so dang often.

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:17 PM
jimmy1100

I am a big fan of Parse, but there just isn't room for him. He has no business in the AHL if he is healthy and has recovered from the surgeries. He'll sign somewhere late in the off season and, if healthy, be a valuable contributor. When healthy, he's been successful at every level he has played at.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Jwm1986

Can someone please tell me what the heck we are doing with Bud Holloway...Is it just me or is this guy turning into a legit top 6 prospect?

I mean, just look at what he did in the SEL last year...then look at his record breaking playoffs....I went through every goal he scored last year and half of them were one timers off the left side...Exactly what we need! I know the SEL isnt on par with the NHL, but it is still a pro league and he dominated the entire year....I really want him to come back to see what he can go out here....

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:45 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpunk View Post
Detroit is a possibility. Didn't Parse actually sign a tryout agreement with their minor league system a few years ago?

I was never a big fan of Parse. Has some skill but not enough to be a top 6er in my opinion. If he moved to another club and transformed his game, I could see him molding into a Dan Cleary, but not much else
Yes. He signed a PTO with with Grand Rapids afterr his last year of college instead of with Manchester. The story at the time was that he wanted to stay closer to home if he was going to play a handful of AHL games. It led to specualtion that he wanted to play in Detroit but obviously nothing ever came of it.

Regarding his injuries, I was under the impression that he had labrum tears in both hips and that once one side was repaired the other hip developed the saem problem. That to me doesn't scream injury prone but more along the lines of him favoring his good hip, possibly bad posture. Plus labrum tears take forever to recover fully from and get back to 100% which makes me question whether he was ever fully healthy in his time up with the Kings. So I don't really see the concerns about him being unable to stay healthy. He has two repaired hips and the issue should be behind him. Gaborik had similiar issues with his hip and groin early in his career and he's managed to stay fairly healthy since it was cleared up.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:36 PM
markisonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Who knows if it was even our decision. For all we know, he communicated to management that he was leaving because of the stacked depth we had at the position and went to another contender who was weaker in the position. He was never going to beat out anyone on the roster, and he still has like 2-3 other prospect defensemen above him on the depth charter. After Martinez-Scuderi, we still have Drewiske on the roster who has earned a spot till traded or contract expiration, and then we have Hickey and Muzzin, who are both NHL ready. Not a whole lot he could do.
Deslauriers, Campbell, and Forbort were probably above him on the depth chart as well.

As far as Parse is concerned, I really do think he has the talent to make it in the NHL. I would even consider signing him at a one-way league minimum contract and having him play in Manchester. Give him a year to be injury free and get his strength back up and then try to make the team the following year when we have contracts expiring. He has hands, he goes hard to the net, and he has speed. He's also a really nice guy.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Fropitar

This just in, Parse just sprained his groin while reading a story about penner straining his back eating pancakes. Out for season.

Fropitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Funny how Parse has been a King since 2004, although he didn't start his professional career until 2007. He's only appeared in 14 games over the past two seasons.

Does the name Frank Breault ring a bell for anyone?

He was another young promising player who scored at every level, except that he had to be handled with caution due to being so fragile.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Funny how Parse has been a King since 2004, although he didn't start his professional career until 2007. He's only appeared in 14 games over the past two seasons.

He was another young promising player who scored at every level, except that he had to be handled with caution due to being so fragile.
He never had anything close to Scott Parse's 09-10 though. People forget how good he was that year, playing will limited minutes and limited linemates he had the 2nd most offensive skill on the team and put up pretty damn good numbers. He was not some borderline player, the next year he should have been a top 9 at least, maybe even a top 6 player. He was also 5th on the team in +/- as well, he was not a liability defensively.

Had Parse not gotten hurt, he would be a 20-25 player no problem, IMO. He has great hands, good speed, smart offensive player. With his injuries, it's hard to say, but if he can get those hip issues dealt with I still think he is young enough to make a comeback. It won't be at the NHL level next year probably, and it certainly will no longer be in LA. I am hoping that the Jets sign him, send him to St. John's and see where he's at. If he can refind his 09-10 form, the Jets could use that skill level up front, LA no longer is in need of player like him, but lots of other teams are.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Every player gets to have his day in the sun. For Parse it was 2009-10. Take Mike Donnelly as an example who found lightning in a bottle for three seasons with the Kings having back-to-back 29 goal seasons then a 21 goal season. After that, his NHL career was pretty much done. Parse will have a difficult time finding a full-time NHL job next season.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
I am worried that Parse is going to pull a Jayson Werth if the Kings don't sign him.

Bad Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I am worried that Parse is going to pull a Jayson Werth if the Kings don't sign him.
After reading about the McCourts sending Jayson to Russian Psychic's to magically heal his wrist, I am glad he got out of town.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:16 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

I think some of you guys overvalue Parse. He never even scored 40 pts in manchester, but yet, some of you guys make it sound like he's a proven scorer.

Having said that, I do think that Parse will score and wouldn't be surprised to see him score 20+ goals in a season. Unfortunately, he'd just be a healthy scratch on this team.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:26 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fropitar View Post
This just in, Parse just sprained his groin while reading a story about penner straining his back eating pancakes. Out for season.
You mean he reads with his...nevermind.

On another less perilous note and speaking of lost prospects like Brealt, I used to get Scott Barney and Scott Parse confused.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:57 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Do any of you guys actually want him back? I keep hearing about this "high end skill" he has and I wonder about it. Maybe if he goes to a place that has a killer 1st line center but the rest of the team is crap, like TBL or NYI, he turns into a point getter who isn't much else?
It's that high end skill that makes me want to bring him back. If we don't. I understand and get it, but I'd like to see us have a chance to witness this skill after two years of being very pateint with him through two injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post

Breault wasn't a scorer at every level at all. He only cracked a point per game in his final year of junior and outside of a decent 1990-91 wasn't exactly lights out in the IHL/AHL either, and that was back in the highest scoring era of hockey. Parse's AHL numbers are similar to Breault's IHL/AHL numbers, and that's with Parse facing stronger competition (just the AHL now, not AHL and IHL like back in Breult's time) and a lower scoring era.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
So Parse is in camp with Albany, presumably on an AHL/tryout contract. I think it's a smart pickup for Albany and potentially NJ. Can Kings fans shed a little light on him?

Based on his collegiate career and 70 game NHL sample it seems like there's some ability there. Unfortunately he's been injury plagued the last two years.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
So Parse is in camp with Albany, presumably on an AHL/tryout contract. I think it's a smart pickup for Albany and potentially NJ. Can Kings fans shed a little light on him?.
Scott is a 10th degree black belt and has the ability to talk to dolphins. He likes long walks and the beach and watching sunrises from tugboats.

Bad Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 01:25 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

You forgot he has the highest midi-chlorian levels since Yoda as well.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
So Parse is in camp with Albany, presumably on an AHL/tryout contract. I think it's a smart pickup for Albany and potentially NJ. Can Kings fans shed a little light on him?

Based on his collegiate career and 70 game NHL sample it seems like there's some ability there. Unfortunately he's been injury plagued the last two years.
Came to post this as well.

AHL Contract/ Tryout Not sure what it is yet

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

He's only appeared in 16 games (including 2 playoff games) over the past two years. He just recently turned 28, so I would think the prospects of him pinning down a full-time NHL spot are very small. He'll be a decent top six forward in the minors with the occasional call-up to the pros.

Old
09-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Why don't we give NJ fans a comparison they can relate to ... Scott Parse is the next best thing since Erik Rasmussen, only without the grit and determination, and is more injury prone
... enjoy him

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:

Solid offensive skills, scored 28pts in just 52 games with LA a few years ago playing very very limited minutes (and 0 pp time). Great hands, very smart offensively. Average at best defensively. Not fast, but shifty.

But of course, this was before injuries wiped out two seasons. Gotta think this lockout might be the best thing for him, if he can get healthy and prove he can still play at the AHL level he will have an outside shot at another NHL deal. Coulda been a solid 2nd/3rd line 20-25-45 tweener in an offensive role without the injuries, really too bad.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Solid offensive skills, scored 28pts in just 52 games with LA a few years ago playing very very limited minutes (and 0 pp time). Great hands, very smart offensively. Average at best defensively. Not fast, but shifty.

But of course, this was before injuries wiped out two seasons. Gotta think this lockout might be the best thing for him, if he can get healthy and prove he can still play at the AHL level he will have an outside shot at another NHL deal. Coulda been a solid 2nd/3rd line 20-25-45 tweener in an offensive role without the injuries, really too bad.
I'm glad someone was respectful with the questions from fans of other teams.

I will add that I think Parse, if he can remain injury-free, can be a top-6 forward in this league. He has the offensive skill-set.

Unfortunately, he also has a penchant for picking up really stupid, ill-timed penalties. That was really self-evident this year before he became injured.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 08:24 PM
KingNothing4

Could have sworn Lombardi said he was top 3 in terms of raw skill on the team, showed some flashes, but his hips seem like they are toast.

KingNothing4 is offline   Reply With Quote