HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Expansion

Closed Thread

Old
09-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Medvedev said that he's 95% sure that KHL Medveščak will play in the KHL next season.

Old
09-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Den

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
yunost,

It's all nice and great but it's Russia... Had the project been started by Swedes or Germans I'd also think like that. If DEL, Elitserien, SM Liiga, Czech League, NLA, Slovaks came together and said- we already have a good product, let's take it to the next level... and created a 14-15 team league in Europe with salary cap like in KHL, attrcted new sponsors, raised ticket prices and built 15 000 + arenas with an intent to fill them to full capacity regularly... I could see the effect in 5-6 years already.
Making hockey big in Germany ... a pipe dream in a country where soccer rules. Making NHL level hockey in Cze, Sweden or Fin, countries with one big market in a one megapolis each, a pipe dream.

And then, what we do, we recall Vinnie's words about bad toilets in Kazan from 2004, and we go "jeez, we all hear bad stories about toilets", and develop the idea, throw in oil, and concoct an argument, which I am sure is very relevant in 2012. "It's the Russians"... Boooh

Old
09-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Medvedev said that he's 95% sure that KHL Medveščak will play in the KHL next season.
Doing the happy dance!

Old
09-22-2012, 03:26 AM
ult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
They need a name change. KHL Medvescak in Medvedev's KHL...

Old
09-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
Favouritism 101

Old
09-24-2012, 04:50 AM
croAVSfan*

Quote:
Medvedev said for croatian newspapers that he wants spend his retirement in croatia He has house in Dubrovnik

Old
09-27-2012, 04:34 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
“I have had many discussions with [KHL President] Alexander Medvedev about the KHL’s role since the league’s foundation and the KHL has maybe sometimes been a headache for others. But there is no question that without the KHL we might not have had top professional club hockey in countries like Latvia, Belarus, Kazakhstan and now Ukraine.”

“Now also Slovan Bratislava from Slovakia has joined the KHL and the management tells me that the club could never survive as a top European challenger had it stayed in the Slovak league. So we see concrete examples where the KHL has been very good when it comes to keeping and upgrading top club hockey in several countries.”

“Having said that, we must keep a dialogue with the KHL regarding the league’s expansion plans to the west, making sure that we find solutions that are good for everyone involved.”
http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...html?tx_ttnews[backPid]=955&cHash=58f5e425a2

Old
09-27-2012, 05:43 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by croAVSfan* View Post
Medvedev said for croatian newspapers that he wants spend his retirement in croatia He has house in Dubrovnik
This is quite interesting to me.. Maybe he likes our tall girls, or maybe its the kupus and sarma

Old
09-28-2012, 02:30 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
This dentist guy is talking to much considering how busy he is kissing you know whose ass.
People on the left rant that he is not left enough and people on the right rant that he is not right enough. In reality he is saying what he has to say and doing what he has to do if he doesn't want to be a one-eyed homer like the ones on the left and the ones on the right. The hatred against Fasel is even more misguided than the hatred against Gary Bettman.

Old
10-03-2012, 04:53 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Doing the happy dance!

I hope it will become official very soon !

Old
10-03-2012, 10:17 AM
jaco

Helvetics

According to this
http://www.20min.ch/sport/eishockey/...tics--10789449
Helvetics won't join in 2014, but earliest in 2015.
Interestingly there seems to be no swiss investor until now. All the money comes from Germany....

Old
10-03-2012, 10:20 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco View Post
According to this
http://www.20min.ch/sport/eishockey/...tics--10789449
Helvetics won't join in 2014, but earliest in 2015.
Interestingly there seems to be no swiss investor until now. All the money comes from Germany....
this project is still alive?

Old
10-03-2012, 10:45 AM
jaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
this project is still alive?
Don't know really.. Somehow it looks like a joke to me as well. But according to this article by the most informed swiss hockey reporter, they have already a budget of 80 millions for a 8k seater. We'll see.

Old
10-03-2012, 10:48 AM
ult

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco View Post
Don't know really.. Somehow it looks like a joke to me as well. But according to this article by the most informed swiss hockey reporter, they have already a budget of 80 millions for a 8k seater. We'll see.
It's below KHL requirements. So even more proof it's BS.

Old
10-07-2012, 08:31 PM
wings5

Has there been any talks of expansion to Slovenia? I feel they can be a very viable market for the KHL.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:50 AM
kajoo

this is quite old news (from Sept.20th) but Medvedev said during his visit of Bratislava that "Košice officials should get inspired by Slovan". Many understood it as encouragment of Košice´s KHL ambitions.

HC Košice´s current budget is € 2,7m for 2012/13 season, nowhere near of league´s minimum (10m) - which is where is probably the main problem of their KHL´s future. On the plus side, they have nice stadium for 8343 and solid fanbase (major parts of eastern Slovakia).

Last edited by kajoo: 10-08-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old
10-08-2012, 10:12 AM
ult

I think one Slovak team is enough. Kosice will only draw attention away from Slovan, not to mention sponsors. And in the end both teams will struggle. Right now Slovan is in the spotlight and they're doing great. Why change it.

Old
10-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Banana View Post
A question for you KHL guys, i really don´t know much about this league. Why are they so eager to get a Swiss/German/Austrian team? Every year i hear rumours about teams going to the KHL.

I just don´t get it. The level of hockey is so far below in those leagues than in the KHL and even if those teams bring big loads of cash to form a solid team they will always be outplayed because they have to dress natives, right?

Also there is no revenue, because hockey is either a too small market (Switzerland and Austria) or gets no attention whatsoever (Germany).

Or are these just rumours and the KHL never really tried to get a team from that area?
There are a number of possible reasons for wanting to expand into those areas, not the least of which is the ability to compete for guys who would otherwise gravitate to the NHL. About 40% of NHL players are from Europe, and many of those players might be interested in playing in Western European countries if the price is right. If these teams don't attract those players, then they won't be able to effectively compete. If teams land in Switzerland and Germany, then maybe next will be Finland, then Sweden, etc.

Old
10-08-2012, 10:40 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
There are a number of possible reasons for wanting to expand into those areas, not the least of which is the ability to compete for guys who would otherwise gravitate to the NHL. About 40% of NHL players are from Europe, and many of those players might be interested in playing in Western European countries if the price is right. If these teams don't attract those players, then they won't be able to effectively compete. If teams land in Switzerland and Germany, then maybe next will be Finland, then Sweden, etc.
and then the whole world!

Old
10-08-2012, 12:32 PM
kajoo

Quote:
I think one Slovak team is enough. Kosice will only draw attention away from Slovan, not to mention sponsors. And in the end both teams will struggle. Right now Slovan is in the spotlight and they're doing great. Why change it.
agreed, two is too much for now.

In 11/12 season, 10 Extraliga teams had combined budget €15,47m, this season 12/13 (without Slovan), it´s only €9,8m. There is more money in hockey (Slovan´s 10m + Extraligas 9,8m) overall than a year ago, but these figures saying that Slovak economy hardly generates enough resources for 2nd KHL team.

I wouldnt be worried about attendances though, Slovan dont need to fill arena with fans from outside of Bratislava now when they enjoy KHL boom, Dynamo game would be sell-out even if they had 30k arena. Kosice have solid fanbase as well.

If KHL were gate-driven competition than two teams would be realistic, but in the competition where gate income hardly makes 10% of overall incomes and relies on sponsorship money, it´s unrealistic.

Old
10-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Faterson

Quote:
You're quite obviously not Slovak. To you, from the distance of Russia, it may seem irrelevant why tiny Slovakia should have 2 KHL teams. It's almost like Slovaks wondering why Tatarstan has 2 KHL teams.

Slovakia may be a tiny country, but the rivalry between Bratislava and "the East" (primarily represented by Košice) has always been intense. A third big hockey center in Slovakia has traditionally been Trenčín (north-west of Slovakia), home to players like Demitra, Hossa, Chára, Gáborík.

It would be great if Košice joined the KHL. A third Slovak team from a third region would also make sense -- but the economy in Trenčín has been in a disasterous state, and unlike Slovan & Košice, they have no new hockey arena there.

4 Slovak teams in the KHL would definitely be too much, in my opinion. 2 or 3 would be great, however.

Whether any of that is financally feasible, is quite a different question. It probably isn't. It would only make sense from the point of view of hockey development and Slovak "regional psychology".

Just as a reminder, in the old Czecho-Slovak league up until 1992, Slovakia was usually represented by 3 teams, typically Slovan, Košice & Trenčín. Slovan & Košice both managed to win the Championship of Czechoslovakia, while Trenčín was frequently close to the top and regarded as an elite team. It would make a lot of sense to see these teams competing in the same top league one day. Perhaps there will one day be a Czecho-Slovak KHL division?

Old
10-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Vicente

I think the current KHL is extremly entertaining. To be honest right now I think with the addition of lets say Sochi, a team in Kiev, Kosice and Medvescak Zagreb you could close the league at 30 teams and have a very nice competition. Maybe 1 team in Warszawa and 1 in Slovenia in the future but I think best for Europe and KHL would be to stop the west expansion in Cz Republic / Slovakia.

Old
10-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Vicente

Quote:
I think 2 KHL teams from Slovakia would work very well. For sure Kosice wouldn't be worse than Spartak or Vityaz. And noone says throw both of them out of the league.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Faterson

I believe teams should have to earn the privilege of starting in the KHL, instead of buying it. I know the KHL is trying to copy the NHL where teams buy their participation in the league, but... it's hardly fair.

What I mean by that, is relegation. Right now, the KHL is still manageable with 26 teams (although I hate the regular season ending so soon, in early February). I can't imagine a KHL with 40 teams, let alone any higher number supposedly envisioned by Mr. Medvedev.

So I think the worst 2 or 3 teams should drop out of the KHL every year. It won't happen, but it would be fair. It works in European football leagues. Take the Edmonton Oilers... Number 1 draft pick how many times in recent years, but they have nothing to fear -- their place in the NHL is guaranteed, no matter how badly they play. It's an American sports league business model, different from European.

So I'd say... let any team join the KHL... but if they finish last in the table, replace them with a new team the next season. Of course, the team that got kicked out would get the chance to get back in if they win their national/regional league again.

Now, wouldn't that be fair?

Old
10-14-2012, 05:20 AM
Vicente

KHL is a mixture of NHL and a European league. It's a league that invites teams to participate but at the same time the Russian championship is given to the best Russian team (which doesn't have to be the Gagarin Cup winners if let's say Lev Prague would win the title). Maybe they could arrange that Russian teams play a relegation.

Closed Thread