HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Tailight tinting

Old
09-27-2012, 02:09 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
Tailight tinting

Anyone know a place where they can install tailight tint film on your car? A lot of window tinting place won't do it and I'm having trouble finding a place that does.

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 02:20 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
Anyone know a place where they can install tailight tint film on your car? A lot of window tinting place won't do it and I'm having trouble finding a place that does.
You want to make the lights that indicate where you are in the dark to other cars..dimmer? I have no idea where to get this done, but the concept confuses me. I take it this is for aesthetic purposes? or does it actually serve as some sort of benefit.

WantEggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 02:27 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
You want to make the lights that indicate where you are in the dark to other cars..dimmer? I have no idea where to get this done, but the concept confuses me. I take it this is for aesthetic purposes? or does it actually serve as some sort of benefit.
It looks cool.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 02:52 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
The tint I bought is a special film made for headlights and tailights. I only took the 15% tint which doesn't affect the lighting that much really. And yes the car looks way better with tinted tailights.

Old
09-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

vCash: 50
These guys will do it for sure.

http://www.teamgizmo.ca/

Dysentery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 04:19 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital O TEETEE 613 View Post

Thanks, I'll give them a call

Old
09-27-2012, 04:30 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Quote:
The tint I bought is a special film made for headlights and tailights. I only took the 15% tint which doesn't affect the lighting that much really. And yes the car looks way better with tinted tailights.
Ah cool I had never heard of doing that before. Thanks for the explanation.

WantEggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:08 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
Ah cool I had never heard of doing that before. Thanks for the explanation.
This is what the final product looks like

Old
09-27-2012, 05:31 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
I tinted mine myself with the VHF spray paint stuff. It allowed me toget the exact color I wanted, and it wasnt that hard. I believe it was only $20 as well.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:37 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
I tinted mine myself with the VHF spray paint stuff. It allowed me toget the exact color I wanted, and it wasn't that hard. I believe it was only $20 as well.
Yeah this was an option for me as well. But one of my friends made me remember that it's technically not legal. So if a cop pulls me over for it, I can just peel it off. If the film doesn't work or peels after a while, I'll probably try the VHF though.

Old
09-27-2012, 06:15 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...08_e.htm#BK119
Strength of lamps
(6) Lamps on the front of a motor vehicle shall be so constructed, located, arranged and adjusted that when lighted as required by subsections (1), (2) and (3) they produce under normal atmospheric conditions and on a level road a driving light sufficient to render clearly discernible to the operator of the motor vehicle any person or vehicle on the highway within a distance of 110 metres ahead of the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (6).
Attachment that affects lamps prohibited
(7) No person shall drive upon a highway a motor vehicle if either or both of the lamps that are required on the front of the vehicle by subsections (1), (2) and (3),
(a) are coated or covered with a coloured material; or
(b) have been modified by the attachment to the lamps or the motor vehicle of any device that reduces the effective area of the lenses or the intensity of the beam of the lamps. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).
Exception
(7.1) Clause (7) (a) does not apply if the lamps are of the prescribed type or meet the prescribed standards. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).

and it's not the cops i'd worry about, it's your insurance company in the case you so get into an accident. If someone rear-ends you at night (or you back into something/someone), your insurance company might not cover you.

09-27-2012, 06:25 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...08_e.htm#BK119
Strength of lamps
(6) Lamps on the front of a motor vehicle shall be so constructed, located, arranged and adjusted that when lighted as required by subsections (1), (2) and (3) they produce under normal atmospheric conditions and on a level road a driving light sufficient to render clearly discernible to the operator of the motor vehicle any person or vehicle on the highway within a distance of 110 metres ahead of the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (6).
Attachment that affects lamps prohibited
(7) No person shall drive upon a highway a motor vehicle if either or both of the lamps that are required on the front of the vehicle by subsections (1), (2) and (3),
(a) are coated or covered with a coloured material; or
(b) have been modified by the attachment to the lamps or the motor vehicle of any device that reduces the effective area of the lenses or the intensity of the beam of the lamps. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).
Exception
(7.1) Clause (7) (a) does not apply if the lamps are of the prescribed type or meet the prescribed standards. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).

and it's not the cops i'd worry about, it's your insurance company in the case you so get into an accident. If someone rear-ends you at night (or you back into something/someone), your insurance company might not cover you.
This is why I'm choosing to go with removable tint films . It doesn't affect the lighting that much. You're still able to see the vehicle at way more than the required 110m. Someone bumps into me and tries to blame it on my tails. Remove them, no proof I had them on.

Old
09-27-2012, 06:36 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Yea, I dont know provincial law (outside of what was just posted) but if I were to get a ticket, it would be what they call fix it tickets in Washingon state. If I removed it within like 20-30 days the ticket gets revoked.

Also, if you tint your tails, its not the night you worry about, its the daytime. You can clearly see even some real dark tinted tail lights at night, but during the day its harder. Though if you cant tell if a car is stopping during the day, tail lights or not, you probably shouldnt be driving.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Quote:
This is why I'm choosing to go with removable tint films . It doesn't affect the lighting that much. You're still able to see the vehicle at way more than the required 110m. Someone bumps into me and tries to blame it on my tails. Remove them, no proof I had them on.
Im sure the guy blaming you for having tinted tail lights would allow you to take the films off in front of you and throw them in the garbage... Probably without taking pics or anything.

Solid plan

Legend Killer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 06:49 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Im sure the guy blaming you for having tinted tail lights would allow you to take the films off in front of you and throw them in the garbage... Probably without taking pics or anything.

Solid plan
I was comparing the films vs. actually painting the taillights. Either way, more flexible with something you can remove.

Old
09-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity

Tyskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

I keep reading "taint" when I see this thread.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 11:15 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
http://www.carid.com/2008-mitsubishi...ts-265442.html

Just buy these and stop risking yourself and others.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 03:28 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
No proof... except for this thread. And us as collective witnesses to a confession?

Now we just need to work out what our silence is worth to you.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 07:03 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
No proof... except for this thread. And us as collective witnesses to a confession?

Now we just need to work out what our silence is worth to you.
haha! I'm sure you can recognize the car of the guy that asked where to get his taillights tinted on HF. Out of the thousands of cars that have their taillights tinted.

Old
09-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Senacus Maximus
AlfSilferssonScores

vCash: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital O TEETEE 613 View Post

These guys have some pathetic ricers on their site.

That Fiero to countach kit conversion is especially terrible(although not a ricer).

Senacus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 12:51 AM
Rocurs

Doing any type of borderline legal modification like this to your car only increases your chances of getting pulled over by the cops. I would rather stay stock and fly underneath the radar.

Rocurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 02:30 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocurs View Post
Doing any type of borderline legal modification like this to your car only increases your chances of getting pulled over by the cops. I would rather stay stock and fly underneath the radar.
It's usually an add-on ticket, they won't pull you over for tinted tailights.

I drive safely and usually not too fast. I haven't had a ticket since I started driving *knock on wood* and my last car was yellow (easy to spot).

Old
10-03-2012, 10:46 AM
umma gumma

Quote:
It's usually an add-on ticket, they won't pull you over for tinted tailights.

I drive safely and usually not too fast. I haven't had a ticket since I started driving *knock on wood* and my last car was yellow (easy to spot).
It doesn't matter how you drive, it's what you drive. If you're driving a minivan with tinted tail lights, yeah chances are they'll leave you alone; if you're driving a Lancer, Impreza, decked out Civic, etc... with tinted tail lights there is a far greater chance you'll get oulled over. And if you happen to drive past an officer who's a few off his quota you can bet on a ticket.

umma gumma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Upgrayedd

Gonna have to second the above, out of the 5-6 cars ive owned in my life i have only ever been pulled over in the modified Honda i had, never drove differently at all but got bugged lots with the ricer for muffler, under lighting, rear taillights, tint, licence plate cover etc....it was really laughable and a large reason i ended up selling the car!

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote