New to Football (questions, etc)

Old
09-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Some friends and I have decided to dive into the EPL this year, try to pick a favorite team, etc. The time difference makes it easy to catch games here in the US without interrupting our football and soccer is a sport Iíve always dug, just never put the time into. More area bars where I live (Columbus, Ohio) are showing and promoting the sport too. Love the league system and relegation and the various cups and tournaments. Always thought that was very cool.

I understand the basics of the game, but what I struggle with when I read articles or watch broadcasts is some of the slang and terminology.

Two that keep getting me tripped up are creative and attractive. Obviously I know what these mean outside of a soccer context, but Iím not sure I understand exactly what it is inside soccer. Iím assuming creative is exactly what I think -- i.e. the same way youíd say a hockey player is creative. Right?
Iím not sure I know what ďattractiveĒ football is though.

I think this is a related question, but Iím assuming (like hockey) that football has teams that are more aggressive and offensive and some that play a more conservative and defensive type of game.

What are some examples of teams in the EPL that play one way or the other? Iím still at a point where it all kinda looks the same to me (other than at the end of a match when one team is clearly pressing to get a goal and the other is hanging back and playing safe).

Have really enjoyed my early-stage fandom.
I've been watching the EPL for about a year now and can comment as a new fan as well!

So attractive football can be several different things to me. I've always played wing and defense in hockey, so I can really appreciate super defensive games or I can appreciate beautiful crosses into the box from a fast counter attack.

Barca, Real Madrid, Man City, and Man U all play an incredibly tactical, and possession style game. A lot of people seem to think that the players who play in these systems are overrated and don't show enough 'beauty' when they build up. You have to be able to appreciate all of the little things when watching teams like this. Xavi and Iniesta are absolutely the BEST duo in the world at holding the ball and making the game go at their pace. The skill's these players possess are second to none, and if you don't watch close enough you'll truly miss what makes them so special.

My personal favorite team to watch is Dortmund. The creativity that team has is astonishing. Everybody is involved, lots of great crosses, lots of fast play, and good, sound defense. Truly the definition of the beautiful game

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Brodie
to the hall

"attractive" generally means a lot of passing and a fast counter attack with plenty of pretty crosses. the kind of football Barca is famous for playing.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
"attractive" generally means a lot of passing and a fast counter attack with plenty of pretty crosses. the kind of football Barca is famous for playing.
I don't think Barca play attractive football, but to each his own.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 09:36 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Got another terminology question -- what does "massive" mean?

The Columbus Crew use "be massive" in their advertisements and I've heard the term used by commentators and fans.

I assume it means big in some way, rise to the occasion maybe?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Finnish your Czech
BestPosterAvailable

vCash: 50
Quote:

The Columbus Crew use "be massive" in their advertisements and I've heard the term used by commentators and fans.

The same as it does in American English I would assume.

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:

It means they haven't eaten enough.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 07:38 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Do they normally show streams for Cup games against lower seed teams like Arsenal against Coventry City this Wednesday

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 08:02 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Do they normally show streams for Cup games against lower seed teams like Arsenal against Coventry City this Wednesday
I know the coventry game isn't on TV. Its just on Arsenal player If I'm not mistaken

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 09:05 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 50
Quote:

A massive is a close-knit group; you might describe local Arsenal fans as a North London Massive, and Ali G refers to his friends as the West Staines Massive. Not totally sure why the Columbus Crew are directing you to "be" massive ... maybe they mean "be loud / be awesome / be enthusiastic" ???

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 09:30 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
A massive is a close-knit group; you might describe local Arsenal fans as a North London Massive, and Ali G refers to his friends as the West Staines Massive. Not totally sure why the Columbus Crew are directing you to "be" massive ... maybe they mean "be loud / be awesome / be enthusiastic" ???
Has more to do with market size, IIRC. Columbus was one of or maybe even the smallest city MLS for a long time (now Salt Lake City), and it felt like everyone was out to get them, so they wanted to "be massive" to make themselves an influential presence in American soccer.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 01:17 AM
Spinkis

I would say that Barcelona plays boring football. 200passes sideways before 1 shot at goal.

Attractive to me is like the German national team. Well organised and with a ruff edge.

Spinkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

What? Real and Barca don't have the same style. Real don't mind letting their opponents dominate the possession. They rely on counterattacking. Barca, on the other hand, will always dictate. 70% of the possession no matter who they are playing against.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 06:20 PM
CanadianPirate

Hey guys, I have been following the epl for a few weeks now and one of the things that keeps on popping up is assists. As an NHL fan I thought they would work the same way as they do in hockey but they don't seem to. For example the top scorer last year in the epl was Persie with 30 but the top assist man Silva had 15. Are assists awarded the same in the epl as they are in the nhl?

CanadianPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 06:25 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPirate View Post
Hey guys, I have been following the epl for a few weeks now and one of the things that keeps on popping up is assists. As an NHL fan I thought they would work the same way as they do in hockey but they don't seem to. For example the top scorer last year in the epl was Persie with 30 but the top assist man Silva had 15. Are assists awarded the same in the epl as they are in the nhl?
Nope, assists are normally just decisive passes. Since you're talking about RvP ( )

In the NHL, Gervinho (27), Koscielny (6) would of have both gotten Assists, but on this goal, only Song got the assist [The one who sent the through ball]

Old
09-27-2012, 06:29 PM
CanadianPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Nope, assists are normally just decisive passes. Since you're talking about RvP ( )

In the NHL, Gervinho (27), Koscielny (6) would of have both gotten Assists, but on this goal, only Song got the assist [The one who sent the through ball]
Ok so are there a lot of goals that are unassisted?

Old
09-27-2012, 06:38 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Ok so are there a lot of goals that are unassisted?
Rarely. Unassisted goals normally come from interceptions and individual work, turnovers or penaltys

This would be unassisted. Even though Robin van Persie passed him the ball prior to the video starting, he stumbled, lost possession, therefor it "reset" and it went in as a unassisted goal

Another straight forward example, at 1:03

**Someone correct me if I'm wrong, or if you want to clarify lol**

Sorry for all the homer videos, they are the only ones that come to my mind

Old
09-27-2012, 07:20 PM
VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to VEGASKING
The player fouled for a penalty gets an assist if it is made. Same for free kicks.

VEGASKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Ew Arsenal goals.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 03:06 AM
CanadianPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Rarely. Unassisted goals normally come from interceptions and individual work, turnovers or penaltys

This would be unassisted. Even though Robin van Persie passed him the ball prior to the video starting, he stumbled, lost possession, therefor it "reset" and it went in as a unassisted goal

Another straight forward example, at 1:03

**Someone correct me if I'm wrong, or if you want to clarify lol**

Sorry for all the homer videos, they are the only ones that come to my mind
Thanks for the answers and no problem about the homer vidoes I am attempting to become an arsenal fan. I think I talked to you about it a few months ago actually. It still seems odd to me that if assists are handed out frequently that the goal leader would have double the amount of the assist leader. But I guess with more players on the field, usually only one or two strikers etc there are reasons.

What do you use to follow Arsenal? I thought about getting sportsnet world but with shaw I have read it would be 15 dollars a month and I am a poor student so....

Old
09-28-2012, 04:00 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Thanks for the answers and no problem about the homer vidoes I am attempting to become an arsenal fan. I think I talked to you about it a few months ago actually. It still seems odd to me that if assists are handed out frequently that the goal leader would have double the amount of the assist leader. But I guess with more players on the field, usually only one or two strikers etc there are reasons.

What do you use to follow Arsenal? I thought about getting sportsnet world but with shaw I have read it would be 15 dollars a month and I am a poor student so....
Ohh I remember you now

I just go with streams. I got RDS/RDS2 (French TSN) , TSN, TSN2 & Sportsnet, whenever the games aren't there, I just find a stream on the web. Could link you to a couple of websites.

Old
09-29-2012, 08:55 AM
Corey Perry*

Where can I watch EPL games (specifically Chelsea) when its not being shown on national television in America? Any certain good sites or places to stream? Thanks.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

wiziwig.tv

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Brodie
to the hall

google it and you will find 1000 streams every week

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

This may be a ridiculous question, but do most of the fans buy the new kit every season? It certainly looks like it when they pan the crowds.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

lots do. It's a 40-60 dollar investment. Though many don't look that different year to year.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote