HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2012-2013 Prospect Talk PART IV

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2012, 11:24 AM
Juzmo
|Ässät|Stars|Sabres|

vCash: 6969
Jesse Joensuu scored two goals including the game-winner in a 4-1-win against HPK in his first game back.

Old
09-22-2012, 03:31 PM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Islanders have not had quality radio broadcasting, since they were on ESPN.
I actually thought that guy Mears did a good job back when King was only the color guy. Now that King does play-by-play it's pretty hard to listen to.

Old
09-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Opening night of the junior season.

WHL
Edmonton 5, Kootenay 3-Reinhart with 1 assist.

OHL
Niagara 4, Erie 2-Strome and Graham with 1 assist each,no points for Theoret.
Pelech with no points for Erie.
Scoring change from Thursday night. Reinhart was given a second assist,

Old
09-23-2012, 05:42 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

For those interested, a quote from Renegade Stylings who is very knowledgeable when it comes to the WHL. Regarding Reinhart:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Have seen both of his games this season so far and he looks very very solid. No hangover from a long year. Not only that, but his skating and involvement in the rush is increased and improved.

This kid is a beast.

Last edited by PWJunior: 09-23-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old
09-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Degeneration Rex

Sunday's Games

Edmonton 6, Red Deer 2-Reinhart was even.
London 8, Guelph 2-Pedan was even.
Moncton 5, Cape Breton 4 (SO)Leduc had 1 assist and was even,

Old
09-24-2012, 05:20 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
For those interested, a quote from Renegade Stylings who is very knowledgeable when it comes to the WHL. Regarding Reinhart:
Good quote. Good to read!

Old
09-25-2012, 09:24 AM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

Reinhart really has beast potential. I wish we could bring Potvin on as a coach to take this kid under his wing. Learning from a guy like that could really help him become an elite defenseman.

That said, I don't know how any Islander fan could not feel good about this team's depth at defense in the system. We have at least 4 guys who should become NHL regulars in some shape or form(Reinhart, deHaan, Donovan, Mayfield), and a handful of guys who are just a tier below who have potential to become solid 2nd or 3rd pairing players in their own right(Ness, Pedan, Kichton, Pokka, Pelech, Russo). Add a young Hamonic and MacDonald, who have already established themselves and should be here for a long time, and it's hard not to get excited about this team's future.

For all the heat Garth Snow takes, some deserved and some not so much, he has done a great job of building up this team's system. Not too long ago this team had absolutely zero prospects. At least none to get excited about. I remember at one point in the early 2000's our best prospect was probably Russian defenseman Alexei Stonkus, but right now he probably wouldn't even crack our top-20.

Old
09-25-2012, 01:39 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Reinhart really has beast potential. I wish we could bring Potvin on as a coach to take this kid under his wing. Learning from a guy like that could really help him become an elite defenseman.

That said, I don't know how any Islander fan could not feel good about this team's depth at defense in the system. We have at least 4 guys who should become NHL regulars in some shape or form(Reinhart, deHaan, Donovan, Mayfield), and a handful of guys who are just a tier below who have potential to become solid 2nd or 3rd pairing players in their own right(Ness, Pedan, Kichton, Pokka, Pelech, Russo). Add a young Hamonic and MacDonald, who have already established themselves and should be here for a long time, and it's hard not to get excited about this team's future.

For all the heat Garth Snow takes, some deserved and some not so much, he has done a great job of building up this team's system. Not too long ago this team had absolutely zero prospects. At least none to get excited about. I remember at one point in the early 2000's our best prospect was probably Russian defenseman Alexei Stonkus, but right now he probably wouldn't even crack our top-20.
It was more like Alexei Stink-us. I agree with your comments though. Drafted 7 d-men this June, and if 2 or 3 make it, it will be a successful draft. I expect Reinhart, Pokka and Pelech to be fighting for spots in the Isle's top 6 down the road, as well as Mayfield and Pedan. Add in Donovan and De Haan, and we have a lot of D prospects, some may be traded some day, good quality chips to play with.

Old
09-25-2012, 01:43 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
Jesse Joensuu scored two goals including the game-winner in a 4-1-win against HPK in his first game back.
I think this guy has improved a lot since he left the Islanders, I can see him being a guy who could crash the front of the net on power plays. Seems to get a lot of his goals planting himself right in front, and tough to move. Not afraid to fight either.

Old
09-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Ziggy16

Strome and Reinhart Can Be Recalled for a NHL Training Camp if Lockout Ends:

In late August, NHL teams had to submit short list (no more than 2 or 3) of drafted CHL juniors they would like to recall if lockout ends.
NYI: Strome, Reinhart
IF lockout ends, these players could be recalled to tryout for NHL team and then normal rules apply for keeping or sending back to jr.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Old
09-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
It was more like Alexei Stink-us.
I know nothing about him as a player per se. I never saw him play and don't know what his prospects were.

I wouldn't make fun of him though as he suffered a serious injury during a game with Metallurg Magnitagorsk after he was hit with a stick in the neck and then fell head first into the boards. He lost consciousness and was taken away from the rink in a state of unconsciousness that lasted some time. It ended up that two of his spinal disks in his neck were broken and required a four hour surgical procedure just to ensure that he'd ever even walk again.

He ended up missing two seasons to that injury and eventually rehabbed his way back into playing for a bit in Russia's first and second divisions.

We'll never know if he ever had any real NHL possibilities, but his career as a top level athlete was lost to a serious injury, so it was no laughing matter.

Old
09-25-2012, 09:27 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I know nothing about him as a player per se. I never saw him play and don't know what his prospects were.

I wouldn't make fun of him though as he suffered a serious injury during a game with Metallurg Magnitagorsk after he was hit with a stick in the neck and then fell head first into the boards. He lost consciousness and was taken away from the rink in a state of unconsciousness that lasted some time. It ended up that two of his spinal disks in his neck were broken and required a four hour surgical procedure just to ensure that he'd ever even walk again.

He ended up missing two seasons to that injury and eventually rehabbed his way back into playing for a bit in Russia's first and second divisions.

We'll never know if he ever had any real NHL possibilities, but his career as a top level athlete was lost to a serious injury, so it was no laughing matter.
Lighten up Francis

Old
09-26-2012, 02:58 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Lighten up Francis
Just keeping everyone informed.

Didn't know if you or some of the others here simply weren't aware of Stokus' unfortunate story.

He was actually supposed to be pretty good.

Old
09-26-2012, 06:08 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Just keeping everyone informed.

Didn't know if you or some of the others here simply weren't aware of Stokus' unfortunate story.

He was actually supposed to be pretty good.
Just joking with ya Chapin, using an old line from the movie "Stripes" to lighten things up here on the forum. Being an Islander's addict, of course I remember Stonkus and his unfortunate injury. I had high hopes for him as a prospect. Being a fan of Russian hockey, or their style of play, I was hoping he'd help on our blue line as a mobile d-man.

Old
09-26-2012, 06:39 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy16 View Post
Strome and Reinhart Can Be Recalled for a NHL Training Camp if Lockout Ends:

In late August, NHL teams had to submit short list (no more than 2 or 3) of drafted CHL juniors they would like to recall if lockout ends.
NYI: Strome, Reinhart
IF lockout ends, these players could be recalled to tryout for NHL team and then normal rules apply for keeping or sending back to jr.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie
When and if the lockout ends teams are going to have very little time to prepare for
the season. The best thing for the Islanders to do is leave Strome and Reinhart where they are.

Old
09-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
When and if the lockout ends teams are going to have very little time to prepare for
the season. The best thing for the Islanders to do is leave Strome and Reinhart where they are.
Which means they'll absolutely be called up for NHL camp. Think of the cap hits!

Old
09-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Degeneration Rex

Edmonton shut out Lethbridge 3-0 with Reinhart getting an assist and + 2.
Edmonton outshot Lethbridge 60-20.

Old
09-26-2012, 11:32 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Edmonton shut out Lethbridge 3-0 with Reinhart getting an assist and + 2.
Edmonton outshot Lethbridge 60-20.
The Oil Kings are an absolute powerhouse team, crazy talent. They have to be the favorites to win the WHL and possibly the Memorial Cup.

Great to see Reinhart have a strong start to the season. From accounts in the Prospect section, he's looking like that future tower of power on the blue line for the Isles. His style may not be sexy, but the kid has all the makings of a beast.

Old
09-27-2012, 01:29 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Just joking with ya Chapin, using an old line from the movie "Stripes" to lighten things up here on the forum. Being an Islander's addict, of course I remember Stonkus and his unfortunate injury. I had high hopes for him as a prospect. Being a fan of Russian hockey, or their style of play, I was hoping he'd help on our blue line as a mobile d-man.
Ugh, can't believe anybody would be a fan of Russian dmen after Vladimir "Maybe I'll Try Today" Malakhov....

Old
09-27-2012, 03:21 AM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
The Oil Kings are an absolute powerhouse team, crazy talent. They have to be the favorites to win the WHL and possibly the Memorial Cup.

Great to see Reinhart have a strong start to the season. From accounts in the Prospect section, he's looking like that future tower of power on the blue line for the Isles. His style may not be sexy, but the kid has all the makings of a beast.
I had some doubts about this pick but I'm happy to admit that I may be wrong. Good start to the season for him.

Old
09-27-2012, 09:44 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Ugh, can't believe anybody would be a fan of Russian dmen after Vladimir "Maybe I'll Try Today" Malakhov....
Dude, Malakhov had 10 million dollar talent, too bad he had a $5 brain. His first 2 years were excellent, then, fade into oblivion, though I believe he did win a Cup with the Devils.

Old
09-27-2012, 12:48 PM
FinHockey
Nuke the whales

vCash: 50
Jesse Joensuu with two goals today including the OT game winner. He now has 4 goals and an assist in 3 games.

Old
09-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Juzmo
|Ässät|Stars|Sabres|

vCash: 6969
Quote:
I think this guy has improved a lot since he left the Islanders, I can see him being a guy who could crash the front of the net on power plays. Seems to get a lot of his goals planting himself right in front, and tough to move. Not afraid to fight either.
Certainly has improved a whole in the last one and a half years. Jesse has seemed pretty much unstoppable ever since he got it going in the first game. Can't say if he can manage to get a spot on the powerplay in the NHL, but would say that playing like that he will be a really solid 4th liner at the minimum. Can't see him turning into a fighter, but will continue being physical in every other way he can.

Old
09-27-2012, 02:50 PM
kuwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
Certainly has improved a whole in the last one and a half years. Jesse has seemed pretty much unstoppable ever since he got it going in the first game. Can't say if he can manage to get a spot on the powerplay in the NHL, but would say that playing like that he will be a really solid 4th liner at the minimum. Can't see him turning into a fighter, but will continue being physical in every other way he can.
Thanks for report...That's good news, because from what I remember he was criticized for being too soft for his size...

Old
09-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Degeneration Rex

Erie beat Peterborough 5-1 tonight with Pelech getting an assist on Erie's first goal of the game.
on the powerplay and was also plus 1.

Closed Thread