HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

2012-13 Manchester Monarchs Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Justin Johnson is 6'0" 220
Rich Clune is 5'10" 207
Jordan Nolan is 6'3" 227

Johnson may be the best fighter of the bunch but Nolan and CLune are servicable and it's not like Johnson is huge. None of the three are heavyweights and there aren't many true heavyweights in the AHL, thus why Johnson can "fake it" well enough and survive as a heavy.

I do agree though that I think Johnson makes it and somebody like Meckler is sent to Ontario.

Speaking of Ontario, is anyone else surpised by the lack of the usual guys like Jordan Hill, Chris Cloud, J.D. Watt that would be injury call ups but spend the bulk of the season on the Reign?
Eeek what a roller coaster for Meckler...I remember when people were anticipating him getting a shot at left wing back in 08-09...now he is ECHL fodder.

It's got to be tough when so much young talent is coming up and passing you by.

Old
09-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Justin Johnson is 6'0" 220
Rich Clune is 5'10" 207
Jordan Nolan is 6'3" 227

Johnson may be the best fighter of the bunch but Nolan and CLune are servicable and it's not like Johnson is huge. None of the three are heavyweights and there aren't many true heavyweights in the AHL, thus why Johnson can "fake it" well enough and survive as a heavy.

I do agree though that I think Johnson makes it and somebody like Meckler is sent to Ontario.

Speaking of Ontario, is anyone else surpised by the lack of the usual guys like Jordan Hill, Chris Cloud, J.D. Watt that would be injury call ups but spend the bulk of the season on the Reign?
Chris Cloud is still with the Reign, and they also have C.J. Stretch in Ontario who will likely get some time in the AHL if they need some bodies due to injuries.

The Reign just made an interesting signing though, bringing in former NHLer Paul Mara.
http://www.ontarioreign.com/news/tea...rticle_id=1527

Old
09-27-2012, 02:35 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Chris Cloud is still with the Reign, and they also have C.J. Stretch in Ontario who will likely get some time in the AHL if they need some bodies due to injuries.

The Reign just made an interesting signing though, bringing in former NHLer Paul Mara.
http://www.ontarioreign.com/news/tea...rticle_id=1527
Should've been clearer, I meant is anyone else surprised that there are only 25 guys in Manchester's training camp? I was fully expecting the numbers being closer to ~35-40 with guys like Cloud, Stretch, Watt there just to get some ice time with guys they may play with. Also thought there might be a few overage Junior kids or NCAAA guys that would be signed by Ontario and get a look in this camp as possible callups/PTO candidates.

Old
09-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Johnny Utah

I wish I lived on the East Coast and could watch these games live on HD...

Old
09-27-2012, 08:40 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Porkins is currently in NA and is going to be at the Monarchs training camp. He has already decided where he will be physically located and the Kings currently don't feel that there is any dispute with anyone that requires any real work.

Or so I believe.

So Porkins was the first to report to camp in Manchester. Like I said the kid wants to be here and wants to make the team. The Kings didn't feel that they had too much to worry about and also didn't feel the need to really do anything but there you go....again.
Just a bump to say that everything is set.

Old
09-28-2012, 05:45 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

Quote:
Just a bump to say that everything is set.
Excellent. What's his English like? What's voynov's like? He has been in na for awhile now

Old
09-28-2012, 06:49 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Eeek what a roller coaster for Meckler...I remember when people were anticipating him getting a shot at left wing back in 08-09...now he is ECHL fodder.

It's got to be tough when so much young talent is coming up and passing you by.
Yeah, he just stalled in his development. He came out and scored 23 goals as a rookie for Manchester and then just... nothing. He looked like he was going to be that crash the net forward that the Kings needed badly and he for whatever reason jsut could never recapture the magic of that rookie season. Really got to be tough in his case, seeing as this will be his 6th season in Manchester...

Old
09-28-2012, 07:07 AM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugold View Post
Excellent. What's his English like? What's voynov's like? He has been in na for awhile now
Voynov's English is functional, not great. Go to Mayors Manor and search for his interviews- there's a pretty long one from last year's playoffs. He clearly understands the questions being asked and gives a coherent reply, even if its not elegant.

Old
09-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Yeah, he just stalled in his development. He came out and scored 23 goals as a rookie for Manchester and then just... nothing. He looked like he was going to be that crash the net forward that the Kings needed badly and he for whatever reason jsut could never recapture the magic of that rookie season. Really got to be tough in his case, seeing as this will be his 6th season in Manchester...
Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make noise this year to see him head to Europe.

Old
09-28-2012, 03:06 PM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
Voynov's English is functional, not great. Go to Mayors Manor and search for his interviews- there's a pretty long one from last year's playoffs. He clearly understands the questions being asked and gives a coherent reply, even if its not elegant.
Enjoyed that, thankyou

Old
09-28-2012, 05:12 PM
dman3474

I hope this isnt an issue but Voynov did not show up to camp http://lakingsinsider.com/2012/09/28...ort-minus-one/

Old
09-28-2012, 07:14 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Enjoyed that, thankyou
I would add that as of just a little bit ago VV's english is more at a conversational level. His comprehension was dead on before he came over to NA and he has now become more than capable of holding his own during a full conversation in English.

Porkins has a better grip on the english language than VV did at the same point in his development. He gets by alright but will need to pick things up to do more than than get by in the NHL but he is a smart guy and will be fine.

Max Kitsyn is almost fluid in English or I should say was. When a Russian kid leaves NA and goes back home for the first time they typically don't speak allot of English and imo tend to backslide a little. That said MK was speaking English fine this past July. That I can say is a fact.

Old
09-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
[UPDATE: I'm now told that the Kings/Monarchs expect Voynov to report to Manchester on Sunday.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman3474 View Post
I hope this isnt an issue but Voynov did not show up to camp http://lakingsinsider.com/2012/09/28...ort-minus-one/

Old
09-28-2012, 10:43 PM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

Quote:
I would add that as of just a little bit ago VV's english is more at a conversational level. His comprehension was dead on before he came over to NA and he has now become more than capable of holding his own during a full conversation in English.

Porkins has a better grip on the english language than VV did at the same point in his development. He gets by alright but will need to pick things up to do more than than get by in the NHL but he is a smart guy and will be fine.

Max Kitsyn is almost fluid in English or I should say was. When a Russian kid leaves NA and goes back home for the first time they typically don't speak allot of English and imo tend to backslide a little. That said MK was speaking English fine this past July. That I can say is a fact.
Thanks for your reply. Kitsyn needs to pull a porky pronto

Old
09-28-2012, 11:23 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Kitsyn needs to pull a porky pronto
I agree.

MK is an honorable young man who did what he believed was not only the right thing to do but the smartest thing that he could do for his family and his career. That said he would much rather have been in NA playing hockey given the outright choice but I have covered that one before.

Porkins needs to develop and is in the right place to do so, I know the team is high on him like allot of fans but in his case I would urge a bit of caution. He is going to need time to develop his offencive game and to pick up the NA style of hockey.

I see him in Manchester for the next two seasons before he gets a cup o tea with the team but can't see why he shouldn't make a solid NHLer when the time comes. That is to say that he has all of the tools available to him to make it, all that he needs to do is develop the way it looks lke he should and we will have a solid 3rd line C when Stoll leaves the team.

Old
09-29-2012, 04:07 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

Quote:
I agree.

MK is an honorable young man who did what he believed was not only the right thing to do but the smartest thing that he could do for his family and his career. That said he would much rather have been in NA playing hockey given the outright choice but I have covered that one before.

Porkins needs to develop and is in the right place to do so, I know the team is high on him like allot of fans but in his case I would urge a bit of caution. He is going to need time to develop his offencive game and to pick up the NA style of hockey.

I see him in Manchester for the next two seasons before he gets a cup o tea with the team but can't see why he shouldn't make a solid NHLer when the time comes. That is to say that he has all of the tools available to him to make it, all that he needs to do is develop the way it looks lke he should and we will have a solid 3rd line C when Stoll leaves the team.
I know your high on vey. Are you pushing him to wing?

Old
10-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Johnny Utah

Per Mayors Manor...

Nikolay Prokhorkin – Andre Loktionov – Jordan Nolan
Linden Vey – Stefan Legein – Tyler Toffoli
Andy Andreoff – Brandon Kozun – Robbie Czarnik
Tanner Pearson – Jordan Weal – Brian O’Neill
Rich CLune – Marc Andre Cliche – David Meckler

Looks like that 4th line might be the ECHL line. Can Pearson go back to juniors?

Old
10-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Per Mayors Manor...

Nikolay Prokhorkin – Andre Loktionov – Jordan Nolan
Linden Vey – Stefan Legein – Tyler Toffoli
Andy Andreoff – Brandon Kozun – Robbie Czarnik
Tanner Pearson – Jordan Weal – Brian O’Neill
Rich CLune – Marc Andre Cliche – David Meckler

Looks like that 4th line might be the ECHL line. Can Pearson go back to juniors?
Hmn looks weird...Who centers this 2nd line Legein or Vey? Also I would think Andreoff centers his line. Also no idea who is the center on the Weal/Pearson line.

Old
10-01-2012, 02:25 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Boarding View Post
Hmn looks weird...Who centers this 2nd line Legein or Vey? Also I would think Andreoff centers his line. Also no idea who is the center on the Weal/Pearson line.
That's confusing to me as well... Vey spent most of last year at center correct? Vey is the only one on that line that has played center at any level as neither Toffoli, or Legein hae played there... Quick check of the Monarchs website has Toffoli listed as a center...
Andreoff played left wing in Juniors i thought, and I think his style of play fits better there. Czarnik has spent a bit of time as a center in junios and last year so I'd say he's probably the center on that line...
Weal was drafted as a center and played a few games in Manchester there last season so he's probably the pivot on the line.

Strange line combos to see though unless the thought is just throwing guys together to see if chemistry forms anywhere... Bizarre seeing so many rookies together with Clune, Cliche, and Meckler are on a line...

Old
10-01-2012, 03:01 PM
rick3652

Quote:
That's confusing to me as well... Vey spent most of last year at center correct? Vey is the only one on that line that has played center at any level as neither Toffoli, or Legein hae played there... Quick check of the Monarchs website has Toffoli listed as a center...
Andreoff played left wing in Juniors i thought, and I think his style of play fits better there. Czarnik has spent a bit of time as a center in junios and last year so I'd say he's probably the center on that line...
Weal was drafted as a center and played a few games in Manchester there last season so he's probably the pivot on the line.

Strange line combos to see though unless the thought is just throwing guys together to see if chemistry forms anywhere... Bizarre seeing so many rookies together with Clune, Cliche, and Meckler are on a line...
nothing on here says where they are playing. these are just the lines.

Loktionov was in Manchester today, centering a line w/ Nikolay Prokhorkin and Jordan Nolan... @TyToff16 on right side of Vey and @Legeefbaby

Other lines at Manchester Monarchs camp today: Andy Andreoff - @Kozy15 - @Robbie_Czarnik ... @TannerPearson14 - Jordan Weal - @Brian9ONeill

so the center Loktionov, Vey, Czarnik and weal

Old
10-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Looks like Jordan Hill is with the Texas Stars, but the Ontario Reign retain his ECHL rights.
http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=642620

Old
10-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Johnny Utah

Jordan Nolan is a 4th liner in LA but down in the AHL he's Milan Lucic on the top line. Love it. Good for him.

Old
10-02-2012, 03:55 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
I know your high on vey. Are you pushing him to wing?
No, Vey is just such a natural center. My only out on him moving from center is the logjam that we have at the spot. He can play a little wing but I believe he will remain a center.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:27 PM
graykt

News article on the Monarchs from the 'Misleader',
http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...ORTS/710039869

Old
10-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Have to admire Rich Clune's honesty. Maybe the dismissal of Terry Murray will also serve to be beneficial for the Monarchs.
Quote:
“You have a bit more freedom as a player where before you didn't have as much freedom (under Terry Murray). Obviously, it paid off,” said Monarchs veteran forward Rich Clune. “They dominated in the playoffs and that's how they want us to play down here. I think Mark Morris is pretty happy because he's always been that style. I think he might have been a little limited under Terry's style.”

Closed Thread