HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Price of Sticks is Getting Ridiculous

Old
09-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Yeah I can't wrap my head around it, since it was a $150 stick new, but heavy as hell. I know for $150 it's not worth it but is it even worth $50 or would it just be a waste of cash?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 09:20 PM
AIREAYE

For someone like yourself who knows more about sticks than most people, I would say it would be a tremendous waste of cash, even for $50. Save that for your next top-end twig or your next experiment in the future!

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 02:45 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
For someone like yourself who knows more about sticks than most people, I would say it would be a tremendous waste of cash, even for $50. Save that for your next top-end twig or your next experiment in the future!
I have a question for you: What's the deal with the Makos having that sand-paperish feel on their blades? Like, what's the reasoning behind it? Is it supposed to be some sort of substitute for tape?

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by howeaboutthat View Post
Demon Xtreme, not that I'd ever buy anything from them. I buy my equipment from German, Canadian and US retailers. I love 'inferior product'.
Ahh that place, never liked it for some reason...

As for getting kit, all the good brands - Warrior, Easton, Reebok etc don't even ship to England... I just find it stupid that I have to pay so much more for kit over here...

I hate England.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah you're probably right AIR. I'll check out the local shop for closeouts but probably stick with the Dynasty for a while. Even that thing as durable as it's been is a pretty "meh" stick performance and weight wise, and it's 50 grams lighter than the EQ40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
I have a question for you: What's the deal with the Makos having that sand-paperish feel on their blades? Like, what's the reasoning behind it? Is it supposed to be some sort of substitute for tape?
Easton had a pro-stock blade coating (maybe still does) called Z-tac which is a sandpaper type finish. Supposed to help keep the tape stuck to the blade and maybe add friction or cushion as well. I have a BASE hockey blade with the finish and I'm not a fan, mainly because it just doesn't look right to me. But a lot of guys over at Mod Squad absolutely love the finish. Then again I don't like matte or fiber finish sticks either and most people seem to love them.

Old
09-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Datsyuk1
Rookie User

The quality of sticks these days is amazing. Absolutely unbelievable how good they are.
Is it worth it? Absolutely not.
Don't get me wrong, a better stick will make a player (with a high level of skill) better.
However, you have to ask yourself "am I good enough for this to really matter???"
I see a lot of kids out there with sticks that are too good for them.
Often found in young kids, the children get the idea that "the stick will do the work." There is also the fact that with kids, the player who has the high end stick is cool lol.

However, in the case of one of the best players I've ever played with - Brandon (I've played with Corey Perry, Sam Gagner, and Patrick Kane as well) he never had a good stick growing up. His family was very poor, and he could only afford wood sticks. He hated it then, but loves that he did now. He used wood up until he was 18 (when we all told him to get with the times) and since the team paid for the sticks, he caved.

The point is, if you can't afford it - the benefit of having such an amazing stick is not worth the money! Choose one that costs less! It will be heavier and more durable. And when you can finally afford a good stick, you might just be skilled enough to notice the subtle differences that make it such a good stick.

PS: The kid I was talking about has his own YouTube channel now ...@MindPuckHandler.
I can't believe some of the **** he does...makes it look so easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcTPVFWMkPo

Datsyuk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 12:07 PM

Anyone see the prices of RS sticks now that the RS2's are out? Not bad at all.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I checked a few sticks out yesterday and the Nexus 600 just seems like a real winner. It is lighter and better balanced than the EQ40 and a lot of other price point sticks like the Bauer One60/One80, Easton S15, Reebok AI5, etc. It's really whippy but I'm guessing that's because the top is supposed to flex rather than the bottom. I'm going to try and find a way to pick one up.

Old
09-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Dylbot

Why are people compaining about stick prices? I can still buy a wooden stick from Canadian Tire for $15. If I feel so inclined I can buy a composite stick for around $50. What's the big deal? If you're stupid enough to buy a $200+ stick that's you're own fault. A more expensive stick isn't going to make a beer league player any better.

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
Why are people compaining about stick prices? I can still buy a wooden stick from Canadian Tire for $15. If I feel so inclined I can buy a composite stick for around $50. What's the big deal? If you're stupid enough to buy a $200+ stick that's you're own fault. A more expensive stick isn't going to make a beer league player any better.
You're dead wrong on that.

Old
09-28-2012, 12:46 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Agreed. I've seen somebody with an old wooden Sherwood who borrowed a teammate's TotalOne for a game, and the difference in his shot was like night and day. Quicker, seemed more accurate.

Didn't change that he had hands of stone, but it did make some difference.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Chadley
The Big Dirty

This thread is hilarious. I'm stupid because I buy top of the line equipment? First of all, there is a difference between a $15.00 stick to a top of the line stick. I can notice the difference from my Bauer X40 to my Bauer Nexus 1000. Honestly, if you can't tell a difference you're either naive, or you don't know how a stick should perform. To insult people who buy top end gear is mind boggling. I really don't know why everyone has a stick up there ass when it comes to people purchasing top end gear. Is it jealousy? I don't know?...It's just getting really damn annoying.

If you don't want to spend $300.00 on a stick. THEN DON'T!! It's that simple. However, you don't need to ***** about it. You don't like the $300.00 price tag? deal with it and move on.

Chadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 01:12 PM
thedonger

Quote:
I checked a few sticks out yesterday and the Nexus 600 just seems like a real winner. It is lighter and better balanced than the EQ40 and a lot of other price point sticks like the Bauer One60/One80, Easton S15, Reebok AI5, etc. It's really whippy but I'm guessing that's because the top is supposed to flex rather than the bottom. I'm going to try and find a way to pick one up.
you looking at a sr 77 or the intermediate?

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstop40 View Post
The new Bauer and Easton high end sticks have reached $260. Every year the price creeps up at least $10. Why is this? Is this new technology making a considerable difference to previous year's models?
I bought a good old-fashioned wooden stick last winter for $9. Sticks are not expensive unless you are caught up in the hype and must have the latest, greatest top of the line stick.

I play fine with one of the cheapest sticks on the rack. It is a poor player that needs the crutch of an expensive stick, IMO.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 01:59 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
I bought a good old-fashioned wooden stick last winter for $9. Sticks are not expensive unless you are caught up in the hype and must have the latest, greatest top of the line stick.

I play fine with one of the cheapest sticks on the rack. It is a poor player that needs the crutch of an expensive stick, IMO.
If you have the skill you get far more out of a high end stick then a 9 dollar stick.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well the cheapest actual wood stick around here is usually close to $40, so there's no point. You can get a clearance composite for that much. I guess you could get a plastic stick for under $20.

Look if you don't care about hockey and don't have much skill and don't want to improve, you won't be reading this forum and sure a Total One won't do you any good. If you practice and have at least a decent shot, you can improve with the right stick. Not to say any stick off the rack will help, but a good composite in your curve and flex will.

I've had teammates barely able to get the puck off the ice using 100 flex sticks at 5'6...give them a 60 flex and all of a sudden they can get something on a pass. I've seen the difference. I also know that when I went from an X:60 to a Dynasty, my shot started to lag slightly. I've felt the difference.

I just got a coupon for 15% off...so I might pick one up. Intermediate P92.

Old
09-28-2012, 03:07 PM
CoopALoop

At least you guys can get what you pay for.

I pay $80-$120.00 for a plank of wood that's sole purpose is to get in the way. I don't get a warranty for my stick breaking.

GoalieProblems.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Dylbot

Quote:
Quote:
I've had teammates barely able to get the puck off the ice using 100 flex sticks at 5'6...give them a 60 flex and all of a sudden they can get something on a pass. I've seen the difference.
If someone can't even raise the puck off the ice, the only thing a fancy stick might do is give them a false sense accomplishment.

A stick is only as good as the player, not the other way around.

Last edited by Dylbot: 09-28-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 05:07 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
If someone can't even raise the puck off the ice, the only thing a fancy stick might do is give them a false sense accomplishment.

A stick is only as good as the player, not the other way around.
At the end of the day yes, but with 2 highly skilled players of equal caliber the stick can make a fairly significant difference.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

How is shooting a puck harder, with a quicker release, and a better ability to lift the puck a false sense of accomplishment? That's the point of hockey.

Modern wood sticks suck. They don't flex where you want them (in the shaft) and the flex where you don't (in the blade). The durability sucks and they need to be replaced every few games. Just a complete waste of money.

Old
09-28-2012, 09:28 PM
AIREAYE

Guys, you can't teach the old dogs new tricks. There's no point trying to change someone's mindset.

This industry exists for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
At least you guys can get what you pay for.

I pay $80-$120.00 for a plank of wood that's sole purpose is to get in the way. I don't get a warranty for my stick breaking.

GoalieProblems.
LOL

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
If you have the skill you get far more out of a high end stick then a 9 dollar stick.
I'm guessing no skill is more like it. Anyone can pass and shoot but stickhandling is so much easier with a composite.

I'm was composite hater and have been completely turned since using one. Its so much easier to stickhandle because of how light it is and snapping the puck is a dream.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Trl3789

The blade on my supreme one60 cracked last night so I'm officially looking to get a new stick. I've been thinking about getting one for the past week anyway, at least now I have an excuse. I'm trying to decide between the easton mako m2 and the nexus 600, anyone have any recommendations for which one to go with?

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

So I've been learning golf and rotational power and what not...applied some of that today before my practice, and was cranking out some of the hardest slappers I've ever taken.

And then I snapped my stick for the second time ever.

So...I have coupons for Hockey Giant and Total Hockey and the day off tomorrow. Going to probably pick up a Nexus 600 and maybe a clearance stick and put it on the credit card. Yay and ugh.

Old
09-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Trl3789

Quote:
So I've been learning golf and rotational power and what not...applied some of that today before my practice, and was cranking out some of the hardest slappers I've ever taken.

And then I snapped my stick for the second time ever.

So...I have coupons for Hockey Giant and Total Hockey and the day off tomorrow. Going to probably pick up a Nexus 600 and maybe a clearance stick and put it on the credit card. Yay and ugh.
Just out of curiosity, what pushed you towards the nexus 600?

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote