HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Valtteri Filppula our future 1st line Center?

Old
09-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

vCash: 500
Valtteri Filppula our future 1st line Center?

So with the age of Datsyuk and Zetterberg, and the emergence of Filppula last year and the way his game has developed... What does everyone think about Filppula eventually being the 1st line center of this team potentially?

I think he has the tools, but I question his ability to bring everything consistently and his leadership. I think if we get him re-signed he will eventually be the 1st line center of this team, maybe even sooner than most expect.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:10 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
I wouldn't rule it out.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Flowah
#FireHolland

He'd have to take a huge step. Can you see him being Z/D's replacement in pretty much any category? Scoring, leadership?

Maaaaaybe scoring. But I don't think he can do that without top line help. He had a huge push last year because he was playing with people like Z.

He's a great 2nd line center, but compared to the other first line centers in the league, he's just not up there.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:19 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

I'd like to see him attack the net more. He has all the attributes to be a good center in the NHL, but playing along the boards and not showing any killer instinct, isn't going to get you very far.

If he can build his confidence and progress like he has so far, sure, why not?

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:25 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

I don't see any real issue with his consistency or leadership, but I don't think he quite has the tools to be the type of first-line center we should expect. Nor do I see him acquiring that role any time soon. He seems to more easily produce offense from the wing anyway; drives the net more from that position.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:37 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

His leadership shouldn't be in question, if I recall correctly, Lidstrom mentioned Filppula's leadership ability while talking about the Wings' locker room. If he has talented wingers, Fil could succeed on the 1st line. He's not as good as Z or Pav obviously, but he can be a guy like Krecji who is right on the fence of a 2nd/1st line center.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 06:22 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

I dont see the talent. He is what he is.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 06:31 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

You play your best center the most, if that's him ok, but you better have some good depth behind him in the depth chart.

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 06:55 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Yeah... Flip would be a pretty lame first line center in the NHL... if your wingers are Iginla and Nash, then fine.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 07:01 PM
FissionFire

The closest thing we have to the next 1st line center after Z/D retire right now is Jarnkrok. If he doesn't pan out we're pretty screwed down the middle.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 07:29 PM
fimoknete

well, flip would then play the top defense pairing every night with cleary or bert like player. i dont think he will score that many points then. i cant see the same talent datsyuk or zetta have.
so we are pretty doomed when datsyuk and zetta leave and no rookie jump into this spot.
you cannot put a over aged worn 2 mil. role player as your 1st center and hope to win a cup. but i am quite sure thats what ken holland is planning.

fimoknete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 07:32 PM
jroc86

If Pav heads home and Z slows down considerably I could see it ... he was our 2nd centerman for the 08/09 cup runs. In a few years if Pavel is gone and Jankrok ends up being a stud I'd like to see Hank, Filp, Ironhook down the middle. 3 offensively dangerous lines with Helmer shoring up the 4th spot.

Franzen Filpula Jurco
Nyquist Zetterberg Frk/Brunner
Sheahan Jankrok Pukkinen
Adbelkader Helm Anderson

who knows ....

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
If Flip is our top center, things will certainly be different but it's hard to say what we'd have to do because we don't know what we would look like on the wings or on D. We could get by with a four good centers, as opposed to two great ones, if we improve elsewhere.

09-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Shaman464
#FireHolland

The year Flip is 1st line center is the year before the Wings welcome their youngest first line center since Yzerman onto the team.

Shaman464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 09:06 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

A better idea, let's keep him at winger and let Z or D keep the #1 spot then Jarnkrok or UFA take the #2 spot.

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 09:26 PM
pdd

This is one of the reasons I didn't want Hudler let go. He has great chemistry with Flip and the two could have formed a great combination and would have been the new nucleus of the offense that the Wings would be building around. Imagine three or five years down the road, Dats is retired, Franzen and Cleary also gone. Hank would be 36 and probably suffering more from his injuries. Filppula has remained relatively injury-free for longer than Z did; so at 33 he might be better than a 36 year-old Zetterberg.

Maybe the roster would look something like this up front:

Jarnkrok/Filppula/Hudler
Nyquist/Zetterberg/Jurco
Abdelkader/Helm/Tatar
Sheahan/Andersson/Tootoo

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 11:33 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Shouldn't have said I question his leadership, just don't think he is a leader to the extent of a Zetterberg or Datsyuk. Poor thought development on my part, my apologies.

Old
09-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

If Jarnkrok doesn't live up to his expectations, it is very realistic Filppula could be the #1 center on Detroit some time in the future. Zetterberg is getting older, with a lot of miles on him, and Datsyuk may want to go home sooner than we may like. If those things happen, Filppula starts to look like the best thing we have as our #1 center. I'd say we could probably get a free agent to fill that slot, but there's no guarantee a #1 center will even hit free agency, and if so we will probably get outbid.

Val is a good skater, solid defensively, dynamic offensively. I liked a lot how he was more aggressive than usual last year with the puck, I would really like him to keep that up going forward. I think people are selling him a bit short on here, it is possible that he produces at a pretty comparable rate to Zetterberg from here on out.

Old
09-28-2012, 02:45 AM
Konnan511
#Loyalty

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
What if The difference between your third and first line center when Filppula is the first line center isn't much at all? I'm fine with three well above average centers (50+ FO%, 50-60 points, great leadership). I'd rather have that than 1 100 point center and two 20-30 point centers.

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 03:27 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
I am pretty high on him, but I think Jarnkrok is our #1 center in a couple of seasons. Might be lofty expectations, but I really believe everytime I see him. Of course it would be really nice if someone like say Getzlaf was really our number one. Filppula could stay on the wing or would have departed for the upgrade that is Getzlaf in free agency. If we get Getzlaf then Filppula is the number 2 in a couple of years in my opinion, if Jarnkrok doesn't pan out. I believe he will though, he is really talented.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 06:45 AM
InjuredChoker

Yeah, if Flip is our first line C we better have something like Colorado, basically all three lines are/can be scoring lines with pretty much equal power. Otherwise, I think we are screwed. I love Flip, but imo he is not talented enough to carry a line by himself, especially the first line.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 08:00 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by fimoknete View Post
well, flip would then play the top defense pairing every night with cleary or bert like player. i dont think he will score that many points then. i cant see the same talent datsyuk or zetta have.
so we are pretty doomed when datsyuk and zetta leave and no rookie jump into this spot.
you cannot put a over aged worn 2 mil. role player as your 1st center and hope to win a cup. but i am quite sure thats what ken holland is planning.
Um, Filppula is much more than "a over aged worn 2 mil. role player."

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 10:07 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
Shouldn't have said I question his leadership, just don't think he is a leader to the extent of a Zetterberg or Datsyuk. Poor thought development on my part, my apologies.
I think it's fine to question his leadership.
Flip doesn't play like a guy who puts the team on his shoulders. And that's what leaders do from time to time.
He's too meek to be a leader, IMO.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 10:18 AM
icKx
What now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Yeah... Flip would be a pretty lame first line center in the NHL... if your wingers are Iginla and Nash, then fine.
Or like NJ had: Kovy and Parise

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 10:41 AM
lilja4mvp

LOL @ eva unit zero still posting about hudler.

some things never change.

lilja4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote