HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We survived?? WE SURVIVED!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2012, 02:05 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

vCash: 500
I hate it when a business is doing a charity drive and asking for donations over a long period of time. For instance, I went to wendys last week, ordered my food and agreed to donate $1 to some charity I don't remember the name of in exchange for 6 free small frosty coupons. Those I promptly gave to my friend who has three kids.

I went again today and declined and felt bad. They should give you a wrist band or something.

Old
09-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Is the UB game on TV this weekend? Just saw a blimp floating around the downtown area -- not just someone with a love affair with wings and 'weck, but a real airship.

09-28-2012, 02:39 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
I hate it when a business is doing a charity drive and asking for donations over a long period of time. For instance, I went to wendys last week, ordered my food and agreed to donate $1 to some charity I don't remember the name of in exchange for 6 free small frosty coupons. Those I promptly gave to my friend who has three kids.

I went again today and declined and felt bad. They should give you a wrist band or something.
Wegmans does that. Gets me every time.

Old
09-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Clock

I usually say "Actually, I already have!" with a smile on my face when that stuff comes up. It's a nice way to do it without feeling like a penor afterward.

Old
09-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Brass Bancroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Is the UB game on TV this weekend? Just saw a blimp floating around the downtown area -- not just someone with a love affair with wings and 'weck, but a real airship.

If it's the DirectTV blimp, it's for the Bills' game.

Old
09-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbtide198 View Post
If it's the DirectTV blimp, it's for the Bills' game.
That was the one. I guess they'll have some video of downtown and people can complain about all the construction they were filming....

Old
09-28-2012, 03:56 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Apparently Fox News just screwed up and let a live feed of a carjacker shooting himself in the head make it on the air.

The always important rush to be first strikes again.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
not just someone with a love affair with wings and 'weck,
French Pub. Sundays. Weck and Wings buffet.

It's part of the reason I have to go on a diet.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:55 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Apparently Fox News just screwed up and let a live feed of a carjacker shooting himself in the head make it on the air.

The always important rush to be first strikes again.
Worse than that, they had a 5 sec delay...Someone fell asleep at the wheel over there

Old
09-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Clock

Just saw it.

GET OFF IT is about to become a meme, I'm sure.

Old
09-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post

As someone who has sold these for YEARS... a couple of thoughts:

We understand not everyone can donate every time... and as Clock said... a smile on your face and saying you've done it already goes a long way

Just purely from an informational standpoint the sale supports

http://www.davethomasfoundation.org/ on the national level

and

CAFFA (Coalition of Adoptive Families and Foster Agencies) locally (sorry I can't find a website for them.

This is one of the best (if not the best) thing the local franchise does every year.

Old
09-28-2012, 05:16 PM
bullseyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Killa View Post
Thank goodness my company pays for much of my maternity leave.

Also, I know your points are general statements, but I certainly don't fall into your majority. Although I'm not the primary breadwinner, (Clock makes like $2 more than me - it's a very heated battle we are in!) I negotiated salary and benefits to the max even when I interviewed for a promotion, got the job all while I was visibly 5 months pregnant.
Not everyone falls into to median, obviously, but it is a better approximation than the average in this case.

Being the primary breadwinner isn't necessarily about who makes more money, it is more of who makes enough money to cover costs. If you got fired tomorrow, could you pay the mortgage and bills on his salary and get by? If one of you were to retire early to care for the children (for example) which of you would it be?

Those would be the two questions I would use there. From the sounds of it, either of you could be the "primary".

Old
09-28-2012, 05:18 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
Not everyone falls into to median, obviously, but it is a better approximation than the average in this case.

Being the primary breadwinner isn't necessarily about who makes more money, it is more of who makes enough money to cover costs. If you got fired tomorrow, could you pay the mortgage and bills on his salary and get by? If one of you were to retire early to care for the children (for example) which of you would it be?

Those would be the two questions I would use there. From the sounds of it, either of you could be the "primary".
They take the same approach in the bedroom.

Old
09-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Got so many compliments for my vintage Buffalo jersey today

Old
09-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

Quote:

Sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
They take the same approach in the bedroom.

Old
09-28-2012, 08:11 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

The sports scene in Washington seems to be pretty solid, the main difference being that instead of paraphernalia for two teams, you've got four plus. In order of frequency, I seem to see:

1). Seattle Sounders (MLS) - I sport a cap most days.
2). Seattle Seahawks
3). Seattle Mariners
4). Washington Huskies
5). Seattle Supersonics - I honestly thought there would be more, even with the Sonics having been gone a few years.
6). Oregon Ducks
7). Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)

Little love for the WSU Cougars.

Went to the T-birds home opener last weekend. Probably about 5,000 in the 6,500 capacity arena. Place was louder than FNC is a lot of the time.

Old
09-28-2012, 08:25 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

I just saw the Fox News car chase suicide. Sad.

Old
09-28-2012, 08:40 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Probably. It is a topic that the media has drilled into people's heads for years, so people no longer recognize the bias in what they read. That and it is a topic most people refuse to be rational on.

When dealing when average salary for all workers, there are a ton of stats that go unaccounted for. The biggest two being:

Women are generally less likely to be the primary breadwinner for their family. Because of this, women are less likely to negotiate salary as hard as a primary breadwinner would. The family mortgage and bills are covered by their husband's income and their income usually goes toward things like child care, vacations, and nice things around the house. They'll get by if their salary is a little lower, so they don't negotiate as hard. This leads to a stereotype of women being bad at negotiation, which has some basis in brain chemisty and that kind of thing, but isn't nearly as impactful as the stereotype suggests.

Women take materinity leave. Not every woman every year, but overall the impact is pretty large. Women end up earning less because they are on unpaid time off, and the average female salary isn't adjusted to compensate. Some places offer paternity leave, but they aren't yet common. Plus the guy can't nurse the baby. (We'll ignore the formula vs breastfeeding pros and cons, I don't care.)
Ok, so you've posted two reasons why women get paid less. This makes it ok?

For your first point, the onus is not on the women to negotiate a fair salary, the onus is on the business to give a woman the same pay as a man would get for doing the same job.

For the second point, a woman should not have to choose between being a mother and having a career. Women should get paid maternity leave. In most of the industrialized world, they do. Our country sucks in this regard.

And don't give me some "oh that's just the way the buisness world is, it will never change and it is unrealistic to expect it to" bs. It's thinking like that which enshrines gender inequality and makes it so that women are still getting paid less than men for doing the same job.

And if your feminist organizational behavior whatever professor in grad school couldn't see through these arguments, they were a pretty ****** professor.

Old
09-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Ok, so you've posted two reasons why women get paid less. This makes it ok?

For your first point, the onus is not on the women to negotiate a fair salary, the onus is on the business to give a woman the same pay as a man would get for doing the same job.

For the second point, a woman should not have to choose between being a mother and having a career. Women should get paid maternity leave. In most of the industrialized world, they do. Our country sucks in this regard.

And don't give me some "oh that's just the way the buisness world is, it will never change and it is unrealistic to expect it to" bs. It's thinking like that which enshrines gender inequality and makes it so that women are still getting paid less than men for doing the same job.

And if your feminist organizational behavior whatever professor in grad school couldn't see through these arguments, they were a pretty ****** professor.
It is posts like this that make you one of my favorite posters ace. Kudos.

Old
09-28-2012, 08:50 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
It is posts like this that make you one of my favorite posters ace. Kudos.
Thanks. It just pisses me off that some people might think it's ok that women get paid less just because they "aren't good negotiators" and because they have babies. Maybe bullseyed was not saying that it's ok but just giving reasons why it happens.

In any event I'm going to drink some beer (Ommegang's fall offering, Scythe and Sickle) and enjoy my Friday night now.

Old
09-28-2012, 11:59 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

http://www.lockoutgoogle.com/

Someone is having fun.

Old
09-29-2012, 12:24 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Well, my mother-in-law almost broke the driver's window on my less than 3 weeks old car tonight as I sat in my car waiting to pick up the kids.

And my wife wants to blame us evenly, I think...

Old
09-29-2012, 12:51 AM
cybresabre
Zemgus!

vCash: 723
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Got so many compliments for my vintage Buffalo jersey today
"Thanks for the compliment, stranger, but I really prefer the Rangers."

Doesn't work. The universe is telling you to make the switch permanent. New York will understand that it's for the best.

Old
09-29-2012, 01:24 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
"Thanks for the compliment, stranger, but I really prefer the Rangers."

Doesn't work. The universe is telling you to make the switch permanent. New York will understand that it's for the best.
Get me season passes and deal

Old
09-29-2012, 01:35 AM
cybresabre
Zemgus!

vCash: 723
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Here are your 2012-2013 Buffalo Sabres season tickets.

Closed Thread