HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

ESPN Power Rankings: Champs Start At Top

Old
09-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
ESPN Power Rankings: Champs Start At Top

http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings

Quote:
They're the boys with the big prize, and there should be no question about where this list starts. The lockout may actually help with what would have been/will be the omnipresent Stanley Cup hangover for a Kings team that shouldn't see much of a drop-off from last spring's magical run.
Next up are, in order:

2 Rangers
3 Penguins
4 Canucks
5 Devils
6 Coyotes

ESPN is hedging their bets on the Devils and Coyotes, who are probably ranked too high to begin with, but some of these rankings, including the Kings, are somewhat due to respect. However, I do believe the Kings are a legitimate "1" to begin the season.

Whenever that may be.

09-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Fishhead

I'd rather be #8, to be honest!

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Canucks....yet again. When will people realize that this team isn't that good?

I mean everyone should have seen it last season, ya know, how their team is essentially two guys.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 03:18 PM
nocturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Canucks....yet again. When will people realize that this team isn't that good?

I mean everyone should have seen it last season, ya know, how their team is essentially two guys.
Its the old "On Paper" that people cant seem to seperate from reality. I dont get it either.

nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Quattro

Yotes #6? wow

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:08 PM
kingsboy11
Comeback King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Yotes #6? wow
yeah that was my 1st reaction too. I also don't think the devils should be that high either.

kingsboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:36 PM
The VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
President's Trophy winners two years in a row. Yeah, odd the Canucks would be rated so highly.

The VEGASKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASKING View Post
President's Trophy winners two years in a row. Yeah, odd the Canucks would be rated so highly.
Yet when it comes to the playoffs time and time again if you shut the Sedins down the whole teams goes away.

Strange right?

President's trophy means nothing. Especially when you play in the Northwest division, where the Canucks are the only team to have made the playoffs from that division the two seasons they won it.

Old
09-28-2012, 09:41 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

The Nucks definitely deserve to be up there. They went to the cup finals two years ago and are the reigning Presidents Trophy winners two years running. They have a hell of a team.

TwoForRoughing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
The Nucks definitely deserve to be up there. They went to the cup finals two years ago and are the reigning Presidents Trophy winners two years running. They have a hell of a team.
Yup, The Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa and Edler are a hell of a team for sure.

Then let me ask you, why haven't they won it yet? It's because if you shut down the Sedins...like we did (with good fortune..), like the Bruins did...they have nothing except 2-3 guys.

Old
09-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Yup, The Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa and Edler are a hell of a team for sure.

Then let me ask you, why haven't they won it yet? It's because if you shut down the Sedins...like we did (with good fortune..), like the Bruins did...they have nothing except 2-3 guys.
Their goaltending is going to improve immensely. Schneider is the real deal, probably the best goalie the Kings faced in the playoffs. We essentially got two goals off the guy in three games (plus the playoff winner). (Brodeur fell down in two games in the Final and Smith wasn't all he should be...unless you count trying to crown the Kings with his stick.)

And you point out Boston...that series went seven, so I don't think you can point to that series at all. And they lost this past season to the eventual SC champs.

Bottom line, I wouldn't take them at all lightly as you are. JMO.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Obviously, yea don't take them lightly by any means. I think they are easily a top 10 team, but number 4 is a joke.

Actually I feel like that entire list is a joke.

NJ, Phoenix, are laughable being up there.

NYR
Pitt
LAK
StL
BOS
PHI

I feel is a more realistic group

Also Buffalo being 23 is a joke, as is the ranking of Florida (19) and Colorado (21). Florida is young and will build off last season, Colorado is making steps forward with a youth movement also.

Buffalo had a TERRIBLE start to the season, they nearly missed out on making the playoffs with a late solid run. Hodgson will be a year older and wiser, McNabb looks great, Foligno looks like a legit NHL power forward, they had a TON of injuries including Ennis, Miller, Ehrhoff, Regher, Kaleta, Vanek, Roy, etc etc. (most man games lost if I am not mistaken), and Roy will be gone. He was bringing down a lot of guys, Vanek included. He and TV could NEVER get on the same page.

Colombus is an easy team to pick on, but I feel like they are going to be a lot better then last season. No where near the bottom like they are projected to be.

Calgary
Toronto
NYI

That would round out my bottom 3.

Last edited by Jason Lewis: 09-29-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old
09-29-2012, 01:25 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

I've been ragging on the Blues for months now, but they are better than the Devils and Yotes.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 03:47 AM
The VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
If there was no lockout I'd have wagered Vancouver finishes higher than 4th overall barring major injury problems. In that sense they are ranked too low. What happens in the playoffs is another matter but like Ron said they lost in the Finals and then lost to the Champs in a close series that their best player was injured for last year. Power rankings are only for the regular season anyways.

The VEGASKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

lolRangers

The Rangers are not a good team. Advanced stats last year placed them around 14th in the league, they ran unbelievably good to finish 2nd overall. No chance that luck continues for them, they will be a playoff team, but more likely 6-8th in the East

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Rusty Batch

Yotes have great defense and goaltending. Their forward group is only ok but that team is legit. Vancouver is a great team. Only 1 team wins it everyear just because it hasnt been vancouver does not mean they cant be the 4 th best team in the league. And llok at Pittsburgh they have looked bad in their last few playoffs yet noone is up in arms about them at 3. New jersey is too high.

Rusty Batch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Batch View Post
Yotes have great defense and goaltending. Their forward group is only ok but that team is legit. Vancouver is a great team. Only 1 team wins it everyear just because it hasnt been vancouver does not mean they cant be the 4 th best team in the league. And llok at Pittsburgh they have looked bad in their last few playoffs yet noone is up in arms about them at 3. New jersey is too high.
Pittsburgh's defense, right now, will never get them past the first round.

In direct contrast to the Kings, who everyone says was built for the playoffs, the Penguins are built for the regular season.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote