HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Nazem Kadri reports to camp in 'Unacceptable' shape

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2012, 03:41 PM
caley

vCash: 500
Nazem Kadri reports to camp in 'Unacceptable' shape

I'd say this could be the straw that breaks the camel's back in regards to Kadri's often rocky relationship with the Leafs.

Quote:
Among the most hyped Leaf prospects, but still short on serious production, Kadri kicked off his third season in the American Hockey League with underwhelming results, notably a lacking physical fitness.

"His body fat today is probably in the bottom three to five guys in our whole camp and that's unacceptable," said Marlies head coach Dallas Eakins. "That's the easiest part of coming into camp is eating correctly and training correctly.

"There's just no coming off if you're an athlete," Eakins continued. "It's no different than the normal person. You make your choice. You can either go sit on the couch, put your feet up and have a bag of potato chips or you can go on the couch and put your feet up and grab some carrots and some apples."
Quote:
"It definitely maybe could've been a little better," said Kadri of the disappointing body fat results, "but it's definitely not bad. I think the way I'm carrying myself out on the ice, I feel stronger, I think my wind is way better than it was last year [and] I think that body fat did drop down from last year too."
Eakins did try to diffuse the situation by saying it's common for young players
Quote:
And it's not just Nazem Kadri. It's almost every one of our young players. You come out of junior and when you get on that bus, you're grabbing Snicker bars and whatever and your mom and dad aren't looking over your shoulder any more. But if you're going to be a professional athlete you're a professional athlete.
http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=406292

It wouldn't surprise me at all if you see a deal shortly after the lockout ends where Toronto ships Kadri out for a similar player, say Scott Glennie, who maybe hasn't quite panned out the way the team had hoped.

Old
09-28-2012, 03:45 PM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
I was waiting for this thread

I nearly pissed my pants when I read this, this morning.

Some dedication he has on trying to make the NHL.

Old
09-28-2012, 03:46 PM
WarriorofTime

Kids has major character issues it sounds like. 3rd year professional. Unacceptable to still have bad eating habits out of Juniors. Time to grow up if you want to be an NHL player.

Old
09-28-2012, 03:48 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
Dat dirty bulk.

Old
09-28-2012, 03:49 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
The King of HF!

Who cares, not the end of the world. Its how he performs on the ice. People forget he's only like 21.

Old
09-28-2012, 03:51 PM
A.J. ¹

Dallas Eakins had this to say on twitter.

https://twitter.com/dallaseakins

"FYI..Twitter world. I was asked a DIRECT question about Naz. I answered it honestly. I also stated that he was only half way done his tests".

Old
09-28-2012, 03:58 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 50
has Kadri accomplished anything at all since being drafted that suggests he won't be a total bust?

Old
09-28-2012, 04:00 PM
legendinblue
NHL in Seattle

While this certainly is not positive news there's no need to overreact, let's see what he looks like on the ice first.

Last edited by danishh: 09-28-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old
09-28-2012, 04:01 PM
King King
Lord of Boards

So much for Gary Roberts' fitness and nutrition plan. I don't get why Eakins chose to call him out like that. I get that he's answering a question but that'd be better addressed privately IMO. First Wilson complains he's too skinny, now they complain he's too fat. Kadri just can't win it seems. Incredibly talented but I don't think he's going to find success in Toronto. Just my opinion.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Kershaw

Absolutely classless. Just a slap in the face for TML fans, management and coaching.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:03 PM
danishh

i just dont understand how his coach could throw him under the bus like that in good conscience. Eakins has to know that the toronto media would bite and not let go.

I get that this has been eakins biggest gripe with kadri last year, and that he expected better, but no need to go nuclear.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:07 PM
dubey
U scared? :(

I thought Gary Roberts was a conditioning god?

Old
09-28-2012, 04:09 PM
dubey

Kadri is just cultivating mass

Old
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Who cares, not the end of the world. Its how he performs on the ice. People forget he's only like 21.
... for another week.

Old
King City Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i just dont understand how his coach could throw him under the bus like that in good conscience. Eakins has to know that the toronto media would bite and not let go.

I get that this has been eakins biggest gripe with kadri last year, and that he expected better, but no need to go nuclear.
Maybe they felt the public way was the right course to take to embarass him into action, but man that is really harsh. I remember ottawa talked to jim o'brien after a season and had an intensely serious conversation with him and then after that he was great. So maybe they have had that and he didn't receive the message.

I wish him all the best though, hopefully he does well this year.

Old
EchoesoftheEighties
Oilers 2017

For the betterment of his career, he should probably ask for a trade. I don't think he likes the spotlight too much and I don't think TO really cares about him anymore.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post

Eakins was just giving an honest answer that was given to him about Kadri's first half of his on ice testing.

The people getting nuclear are as always the toronto media and some fans when in reality nothing has happened and is a big overreaction.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Lilou
t-.-t

This is what it has come to in TO. Media scrum over a players bodyfat %.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Sloth Slothersons*

Definitely wouldn't trade Paajarvi for him now! but seriously

Old
09-28-2012, 04:13 PM
HanSolo
aka DuckJet

vCash: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Only like 21...when is he going to buckle down and get serious about being an asset for the Maple Leafs? When he's 26? The way he's going he'll be lucky to be a third liner. If he was serious about being a premier asset in the organization he'd be bending himself over backwards doing whatever he could to impress the team, not eating like ****.

Old
danishh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
Eakins was just giving an honest answer that was given to him about Kadri's first half of his on ice testing.

The people getting nuclear are as always the toronto media and some fans when in reality nothing has happened and is a big overreaction.
eakins cant blame the toronto media for being the toronto media. The media isnt going to change. It's his job to manage them.

eakins could have just as easily said that he didnt comment publicly on individual players testing results, and that kadri looks better than last year.

Old
bleedgreen

I love it. People are gonna have a field day for a guy being a week or two behind. I'd be shocked if he wasn't tip top by seasons start. Being on the lower end of your team in term of body fat is hardly like he has love handles and a pot belly. I actually applaud it to an extent. These guys over train year around. The summer should be a break. Poor character? Please.

Blaming teammates for your own failures, not participating in required group events, getting caught with a hooker and crack,etc....

That's poor character.

Ps. Poor character could be used in terms of coaches going public with stuff they normally don't. Every team has guys like this, he says it himself it's all the kids. Shouldn't be putting the spotlight on kadri, who has plenty on him without Eakins assistance.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:14 PM
dubey

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. ¹ View Post
Dallas Eakins had this to say on twitter.

https://twitter.com/dallaseakins

"FYI..Twitter world. I was asked a DIRECT question about Naz. I answered it honestly. I also stated that he was only half way done his tests".
Eakins knows what he's doing. At least I hope so, he's been in Toronto for a while. Either that or he's incredibly stupid.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:15 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilou View Post
This is what it has come to in TO. Media scrum over a players bodyfat %.
I still don't get how he can be in the 5 worse bodyfat % on his AHL team while training with Gary Roberts. This shows that either Roberts isn't as good as people say he is or Kadri doesn't have the dedication to follow a diet. Even if it doesn't affect his game, it's still not a good thing that he can't follow a diet.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
I still don't get how he can be in the 5 worse bodyfat % on his AHL team while training with Gary Roberts. This shows that either Roberts isn't as good as people say he is or Kadri doesn't have the dedication to follow a diet. Even if it doesn't affect his game, it's still not a good thing that he can't follow a diet.
Again...he hasn't even played a game. Let's take a step back and see how he does on the ice, before people judge him over training camp.

Here is Eakin's last tweet:
Dallas Eakins ‏@dallaseakins
#KeepCalmCarryOn RT @NathanMoniz: Relax people @dallaseakins said @43_Kadri eating habits are bad, he didn’t say he’s not an amazing player.