HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Rig Brew Pub

Old
09-28-2012, 09:29 PM
BigZKingK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekumba View Post
Beau's....unspectacular. No...just no. You must have only had Lug Tread and some of their seasonal offerings. Unfortunately they're still quite small, so their one offs are limited to a brewery release only, but they're far better than 99% of the stuff Ontario is producing. Get their holiday 4 pack at the end of November and tell me they're unspectacular. I dare you.
Ya Beau's is underrated because people only try the Lug Tread..... i love the Holiday 4 pack the should promote it more in Ottawa, Those beer where the first local beer i've ever tasted (Gift from my grand father every year until he past away) still buy them every year when the holiday comes around. but im probably biased because im from hawks 10 ish min away and my grandpa use to live in Vankleek Hill

BigZKingK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
I don't know what kind of beer drinker you are, but any craft enthusiast that has had Lug Tread and their seasonals, but none of the one offs would not say a word about the quality of their beer knowing what they've brewed. Simply put, there's a bigger market for a beer like Lug Tread given it's their lightest, signature beer that they made themselves a name out of. At the end of the day, it's a business. They create beers targeted for specific times of the year and release them as so. Those beers are meant to be appealing to the masses (and they are, regardless of you thoughts on them), they sell well and are an excellent introduction to craft beer. They're still an extremely small brewery and can barely keep up with that stuff, let alone the limited releases that are consumed by a very specific demographic. They're expanding, though, and over time I think you'll start to see some of the more complex stuff get into LCBO's. They've already made an effort to do so in Ottawa with their home delivery service. If we judged the Ontario craft scene by what was readily available at the LCBO and Beer Store, we'd have an extremely sad and embarrassing selection of beer (not to suggest there isn't plenty of great beers there, there certainly is). It's not a very convincing argument, I know, but a little perspective is all that's needed. Beau's have done things that are absolutely unheard of in the Ontario scene. We need more breweries like them, plain and simple.

And just for my own curiosity, I'd be interested to know what you think of Great Lakes Brewery.

Kekumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:44 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
And just for my own curiosity, I'd be interested to know what you think of Great Lakes Brewery.
I'd take Crazy Canuck and Miami Weiss over anything that Beau's brews.

WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Of readily available LCBO/Beer Store stuff, yes, I wouldn't exactly disagree.

Old
09-28-2012, 09:56 PM
v-man

Quote:
I assume you mean the one in Toronto (Although the brewery by the same name in Cleveland is far superior). I've dealt with them a lot over the last ten years, but simply because of the price point, not the quality of the product (I used to organize rather large events about three or four times a year, and their $135 kegs came in handy. They were always very forthcoming and helpful with dispensing systems, beer cups, coasters, etc). As for the beer, the Golden Horseshoe Lager is about as basic as you can get. I've had good batches and bad, but over-all it's not even on par with Canadian. Ditto with the Red Leaf Lager. My favourite smaller batch brew from them was the Pumpkin Ale they brewed about three or four years ago. I picked up a keg of it last September and it was not the same (way too heavy/bitter of an aftertaste and lacking in the pumpkin department). Unfortunately, they've taken to brewing extremely hoppy, bitter beers that simply aren't good at all. They try to pass it off as a "If you don't like it, you're not a real beer lover" thing, but unfortunately it's simply a case of them not being very drinkable. The initial batch of Devil's Pale Ale years ago was the worst thing I've ever put in my mouth (it's actually gotten slightly more palatable since then), and the Crazy Canuck PA is only mildly better than that. Over all, they serve a niche, but honestly, I wouldn't even consider them a "craft" brewery, just a small one that sells very mediocre beer.

A friend of mine's brother just opened Bellwood's Brewery/Pub here in Toronto a few month's ago. They've been getting decent press/reviews, but I haven't had a chance to try anything other than their Baltic Porter, which was OK, but was really more like a mild stout than a porter, which is traditionally heavier and sweeter than this was (especially in the Baltics).

EDIT: And since I saw WilderPegasus mention Miami Weiss above, I'll add that I too would choose it over any of Beau's LCBO offerings. I only had a small taste of it while waiting for them to fill my kegs, but it was very decent, maybe even my favourite of their offerings so far.

Last edited by v-man: 09-28-2012 at 10:04 PM.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 10:03 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Alright, I'll take you up on that bet. You're right on about me only having had Lug Tread (and Beaver River), but honestly, that should be more than enough to judge a brewery. If they're brewing a better product, why sell the pedestrian stuff to the masses? Doesn't make much business sense.
Really? It makes phenomenal business sense, IMO.

The top selling beer in the world is a Chinese domestic, but after that, it's
2) Coors Light
3) Budweiser
4) Skol (a Brazilian beer)
5) Corona
6) Heineken

The best selling beers are not craft beers... quite the opposite. You want to make it big in beer, you mass produce generic beers. That's the formula for profit.

IMO, Beau's is doing a great job at trying to grab a big piece of the market: promoting themselves as craft (to attract the higher end market), but ensuring the beer's palate has enough accessibility among casual beer drinkers so as to allow mass sales.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Kekumba

Honestly, I can respect that. There's no real use arguing over limited release stuff at the end of the day. I'm just a big fan of Beau's (and to a lesser extent, Great Lakes) and their philosophy and approach to brewing beer that I feel obligated to defend them. They're just one of the few bright spots and a very weak Ontario craft beer scene. I do still recommend the holiday 4 pack as those will be beers that were thought to never see daylight again.

I had a little sample of a beer from Bellwoods tonight at Beau's festival. I can't even remember the name or style. I like what they're doing, though. Lots of different styles already and they don't seem to be letting up.

Old
09-28-2012, 10:31 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Really? It makes phenomenal business sense, IMO.

The top selling beer in the world is a Chinese domestic, but after that, it's
2) Coors Light
3) Budweiser
4) Skol (a Brazilian beer)
5) Corona
6) Heineken

The best selling beers are not craft beers... quite the opposite. You want to make it big in beer, you mass produce generic beers. That's the formula for profit.

IMO, Beau's is doing a great job at trying to grab a big piece of the market: promoting themselves as craft (to attract the higher end market), but ensuring the beer's palate has enough accessibility among casual beer drinkers so as to allow mass sales.
Yeah, but let's not pretend here that they're competing with the big boys. They're not going to shave the slightest margin off of the macro-breweries generic beer sales. Everyone I know who's tried Beau's did so because they were expecting something worthy of the craft label (and the hype). It didn't live up to it, and those potential customer's are now gone, since they can get better generic tasting beer at a lower price.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 11:01 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Yeah, but let's not pretend here that they're competing with the big boys. They're not going to shave the slightest margin off of the macro-breweries generic beer sales. Everyone I know who's tried Beau's did so because they were expecting something worthy of the craft label (and the hype). It didn't live up to it, and those potential customer's are now gone, since they can get better generic tasting beer at a lower price.
I don't know, I think you're oversimplifying based on the small sample size that comprises your immediate peers. Clearly they're not going to affect sales of the big breweries, but Beau's sells tremendously well for what it is (essentially a microbrew), and sales have increased every quarter since they've opened. They're doing something right.

Also, it's attitudes like this that need to die if we are going to have a good craft brew community. Effing beer snobs will kill it. We need more beer GEEKS, not snobs. I love good craft beers, but avoid almost every craft beer gathering that comes up because I feel as though by the end of the night, I'm going to be punching someone in skinny jeans and an ironic plaid lumberjack's hat.

Remember: There is a time and place for almost any beer. Very few beers are truly garbage. You want bad beer? Come visit me in Indonesia. I'll show you a WHOLE WORLD of terrible, terrible brew. I'd kill a man for a simple, unoffensive, ordinary pint of Keiths right about now.

Old
09-29-2012, 09:17 AM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Remember: There is a time and place for almost any beer. Very few beers are truly garbage. You want bad beer? Come visit me in Indonesia. I'll show you a WHOLE WORLD of terrible, terrible brew. I'd kill a man for a simple, unoffensive, ordinary pint of Keiths right about now.
I think you might have a drinking problem. I'd rather not drink beer than drink a crappy beer like Keiths. I don't need beer that badly to kill for any beer, much less something as flavourless as Keiths.

Old
09-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Germz
4th liners ftw

I don't have this much mental energy when it comes to beer. I have a few standbys, a few ooh-what-a-pleasant-surprise-to-find-this-heres, a few ugh-will-not-drinks, and I'll try just about anything once, but there's simply too much out there for the casual beer drinker to keep straight. In Alberta it was easier.

I do agree that the English-Canadian micro scene nowadays is oversaturated with extra-hoppy IPAs (so-called) and ambers. I also find that English-Canadian lagers and pilsners are generally too sweet for my taste now.

But I can still enjoy a crisp bottle of Canadian on a hot summer day. I'd rather a Grolsch, but a Canadian will do. Sometimes I like homemade mac n' cheese, sometimes I like President's Choice KD knockoff.

Germz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 10:41 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
I think you might have a drinking problem. I'd rather not drink beer than drink a crappy beer like Keiths. I don't need beer that badly to kill for any beer, much less something as flavourless as Keiths.
I see that you are not familiar with the use of hyperbole as a comical literary device, a shortcoming I was originally going to imply was worse than death... though after giving it some thought, I feel it might fall on deaf ears.

Old
09-29-2012, 10:55 AM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germz View Post
But I can still enjoy a crisp bottle of Canadian on a hot summer day. I'd rather a Grolsch, but a Canadian will do. Sometimes I like homemade mac n' cheese, sometimes I like President's Choice KD knockoff.
Someone's got to take the fat chick home...

My buddy's getting married today, otherwise would be doing Oktoberfest for sure. Beau's had a solid selection up at the craft beer fest back in August. I find their stuff to be good, but not spectacular.

General beer chat:
Of the recent seasonals the pumpkin ale Nightmare on Mill Street has gotta be my favorite. Massive pumpkin (nutmeg) flavour. Price for value the Grand River Brewing Highballer Pumpkin Ale is pretty good too. I'm lukewarm on the Beau's seasonal (starts with an N, can't remember the name), and the Muskoka seasonal didn't blow me away either. The GLB 2012 Saison was good, I think I may pick up a couple bottles to cellar. Black Creek Pumpkin ale tasted a tad watery to me. Mill St Oktoberfest is a bit malty for my tastes. Anything else in the Ottawa market I've missed?

e:

Just picked up on this:
Quote:
Also, it's attitudes like this that need to die if we are going to have a good craft brew community. Effing beer snobs will kill it. We need more beer GEEKS, not snobs. I love good craft beers, but avoid almost every craft beer gathering that comes up because I feel as though by the end of the night, I'm going to be punching someone in skinny jeans and an ironic plaid lumberjack's hat.
The craft beer fest was pretty good. Lots of different types of participants. I think the guy you're responding to makes a good point though. A lot of the craft beer in the LCBO and beer store is priced high relative to the improvement in quality above the mass market stuff. Paying an extra 5-6$ for a minor improvement in quality doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's how these companies push their beer - they focus on the fairly generic product like Big Rig Gold. Tastes are what they are though; if it works, whatever. As long as I can still buy their stout and their seasonals, I'm happy.

Last edited by jordan7hm: 09-29-2012 at 11:03 AM.
jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Ice-Tray

Quote:
I don't know, I think you're oversimplifying based on the small sample size that comprises your immediate peers. Clearly they're not going to affect sales of the big breweries, but Beau's sells tremendously well for what it is (essentially a microbrew), and sales have increased every quarter since they've opened. They're doing something right.

What's wrong with Bintang and Bali Hai???

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Ice-Tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
Like he said... Beer snob...

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Kekumba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
Anything else in the Ottawa market I've missed?
Southern Tier Pumking is great (but pricy, though what isn't). Ayinger Celebrator if it ever decides to show up in Ottawa.

Old
09-29-2012, 04:14 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
General beer chat:
Of the recent seasonals the pumpkin ale Nightmare on Mill Street has gotta be my favorite. Massive pumpkin (nutmeg) flavour. Price for value the Grand River Brewing Highballer Pumpkin Ale is pretty good too. I'm lukewarm on the Beau's seasonal (starts with an N, can't remember the name), and the Muskoka seasonal didn't blow me away either. The GLB 2012 Saison was good, I think I may pick up a couple bottles to cellar. Black Creek Pumpkin ale tasted a tad watery to me. Mill St Oktoberfest is a bit malty for my tastes. Anything else in the Ottawa market I've missed?
I picked up at the LCBO today the following beers - St Ambroise Pumpkin, Southern Tier Pumking, and Amsterdam Boneshaker (not a seasonal but it's the first time I've seen it).

Quote:
The craft beer fest was pretty good. Lots of different types of participants. I think the guy you're responding to makes a good point though. A lot of the craft beer in the LCBO and beer store is priced high relative to the improvement in quality above the mass market stuff. Paying an extra 5-6$ for a minor improvement in quality doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's how these companies push their beer - they focus on the fairly generic product like Big Rig Gold. Tastes are what they are though; if it works, whatever. As long as I can still buy their stout and their seasonals, I'm happy.
Craft beer isn't typically cheap anywhere. In the US you might get it for a little over a buck a bottle but even in Quebec, which has the cheapest beer prices in Canada, the craft beers (except for Unibroue) aren't any cheaper than they are in Ontario.

Old
09-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Kekumba

Had cask Boneshaker last night at Beau's Oktoberfest. Quality beer, low carbonation though, almost feels oily.

And I don't understand Quebec's craft beer pricing. A 500ml bottle of La Voche Folle Milk Stout costs $5.49...then there's DDC 330ml bottles for $1.79 - $1.99. Two Unibroue 750ml bottles for $7.49, and any 6 standard bottles of theirs for $9. This is at Broue Ha Ha in Gatineau. Maybe it varies, I have no idea. These are all very similar quality breweries, the best Quebec has to offer.

Old
09-29-2012, 05:11 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Had cask Boneshaker last night at Beau's Oktoberfest. Quality beer, low carbonation though, almost feels oily.
I'd have picked some less available beers at Beau's Oktoberfest to drink instead. That list had a ton that'll never see the LCBO.

Quote:
And I don't understand Quebec's craft beer pricing. A 500ml bottle of La Voche Folle Milk Stout costs $5.49...then there's DDC 330ml bottles for $1.79 - $1.99. Two Unibroue 750ml bottles for $7.49, and any 6 standard bottles of theirs for $9. This is at Broue Ha Ha in Gatineau. Maybe it varies, I have no idea. These are all very similar quality breweries, the best Quebec has to offer.
I suspect Unibroue is so cheap because they're owned by a huge brewer and can afford to flood the Quebec market with low prices. Some of the DDC beers, like Peche Mortel, are more than $2 each. But all of Charlevoix's beers are premium priced. I've heard Benelux and Trou du Diable are equally good but their beers don't seem to be available in Gatineau.

And if you think those prices are strange, you should check out how much À l'abri de la Tempête costs. Crazy prices at the Gatineau IGA for a not that well regarded brewery.

Old
09-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Kekumba

Oh don't worry, you got two 4oz cups for one token, so I went wild on the cask stuff. You better believe I had multiple cups of Dude Where's My Czar.

Old
09-29-2012, 09:26 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post
What's wrong with Bintang and Bali Hai???
I admittedly haven't tried Bali Hai yet, though mostly because it's pretty unavailable where I am (Bogor, about 60km SW of Jakarta). Maybe when I feel like braving a Jakarta shopping trip, I'll pick some up.

Bintang tastes... hmm. It's hard to describe. If you have it ICE cold, AND you're eating super savory food (like wareng stand fare), it can be ok... but it's not a very good beer. It's got sort of bland citrus notes in the flavor, and it's a fairly dry beer but it also kind of tastes moldy musty. The aftertaste is pretty bad, it's definitely an acquired taste.

Anker beer (another "popular" Indonesian beer) is kind of a poor man's Euro pilsner. Kind of tastes like beer mixed with cough syrup. A lot of the locals here actually mix it with other things (fruit juices, sprite, etc...) to make sort of beer cocktails.

I think the main difference between these beers, and a lot of the "high-volume sales" beers in North America, are that the Indo beers are just poorly made. At least with a beer like Budweiser (a beer I usually don't touch), it's a well made beer. And by "well made", I'm talking about the quality control that is involved, not the recipe (which, like I said, I'm not a fan of). The quality control that goes into Bud is beyond almost anything else in the industry. The beer here in Indo, by comparison, sort of tastes like someone is trying to emulate the big American breweries (which would fit in well with the general fascination of all things American over here), but really missed out on the whole "consistency" and "fresh ingredients" part of the operation.

So yeah. Being the largest Muslim country on earth, alcohol is a tough sell over here in Indonesia. The beer selection is, almost literally, limited to about 10 different brands in most places (unless you are in Jakarta, then maybe a couple more). Heineken and Guinness are your only real "safe" bets over here, unfortunately, as the Indo offerings are mostly "miss". You can get Carlsberg, but it doesn't taste right / doesn't taste like it does in Europe.

Forget wine and hard liquor, too. It's near impossible to find. Government blocks almost all hard liquor / wine imports of any kind. It's like a currency here: what would be $10 bottles of wine back home in Ontario can fetch $50-75 /bottle here, easy.

Old
09-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Kekumba

Since this is turning into the Sens board beer thread, anyone been following the Green Flash LCBO saga?

Here's a pic from a Toronto Star beer columnsit: https://twitter.com/starbeer/status/251489726685646848

Uhhh, yeah...that's exactly what I want when American stuff finally makes it up here.

Old
09-30-2012, 04:24 PM
jordan7hm

Had some boneshaker on Friday (it was good), and also a honey mead made by (I believe) Trafalgar. The mead (which wasn't a pure mead, it had barley and hops in it) was ****ing fantastic. Not overly sweet, had a decent little bitterness to it, and it packed a kick (8.5%).

Also, this is now the beer thread.

Quote:
Craft beer isn't typically cheap anywhere. In the US you might get it for a little over a buck a bottle but even in Quebec, which has the cheapest beer prices in Canada, the craft beers (except for Unibroue) aren't any cheaper than they are in Ontario.
Craft beer is far, far cheaper in the US. Depends where you live of course, but 6 packs for 9-10$ are the norm. Quebec has a handful of craft beers you can get at that price (St. Ambroise Stout, mmmmmm), but in Ontario that gets you maybe 3 bottles, if that.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 09:35 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Had some boneshaker on Friday (it was good), and also a honey mead made by (I believe) Trafalgar. The mead (which wasn't a pure mead, it had barley and hops in it) was ****ing fantastic. Not overly sweet, had a decent little bitterness to it, and it packed a kick (8.5%).
DAMN, that brings back memories.

Back in like 2000-2004 I used to manage staff at the National Capital Beer Festival (the old one that was on the City Hall grounds, not the new reincarnation of it), and we invited Trafalgar every year, and it was always the most popular tent because of the mead. By the end of the festival, they knew to bring tons of extra cases for the festival staff, we bought them out every year. I loved the old NCBF, because for about a month after every festival I'd have a full stock of mead. It never lasted long, though, because all my friends knew I had it too, and always seemed to "pop by" for a "quick drink".

But yeah: the Trafalgar meads are incredible.

Old
10-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Droc
Classless

I dont care for the big box beers except for Corona on occasion. I usually end up with Innis & Gunn Original or recently Shock Top...I dont know why, but Im digging the orange/lemon hints.
Can anyone recommend a good pumpkin beer thats got more seasonal and less bitter?
The wife doesnt care for beer, and to be honest, Im very picky about it not being overly bitter. I think a real good pumpkin beer is what I need...Less bitter, more pumpkin.
I made the mistake of stopping at the Vanier LCBO on my way through town to discover not a single seasonal beer.

Droc is offline   Reply With Quote