HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Most shocking trades (trades no one saw coming)

Old
09-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
From the 90s:

The Jets trading Teemu Selanne to the Ducks for Oleg Tverdovsky and Chad Kilger. Such a terrible return for a young superstar. Goes to show you why that team ended up having to relocate. The Jets were a horribly managed team.

The Hawks trading Jeremy Roenick to Phoenix for Alexei Zhamnov, Craig Mills, and a terrible 1st round pick that ended up being Ty Jones.

The Hawks trading Chris Chelios to Detroit of all teams. And the return was utter crap as the Hawks would obtain Anders Eriksson and two 1st round picks that they used to select Steve McCarthy and Adam Munro. Mike Smith at his finest.

Luc Robitaille being dealt to Pittsburgh for a damaged Rick Tocchet. The Kings were a sinking ship and this was a disastrous move that got worse when they dealt Tocchet to Boston for more damaged goods, Kevin Stevens. They finally fixed this one up in 1997 when they reacquired Luc Robitaille from the NY Rangers and in return for a washed up Kevin Stevens.

Quebec trading Mats Sundin to Toronto for Wendel Clark. That one came out of nowhere. Toronto also received Garth Butcher, Todd Warriner, and a 1st. Quebec also received Sylvain Lefebvre, Landon Wilson, and a 1st. This was a surprising trade that ended up working out very well for both clubs. The Nords would become the Avs and ship Clark to the Isles in a three-way trade with the Devils, obtaining Claude Lemieux who was instrumental in their Cup run. Toronto got themselves a franchise center who succeeded an aging Doug Gilmour.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Langdon Alger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
From the 90s:

The Jets trading Teemu Selanne to the Ducks for Oleg Tverdovsky and Chad Kilger. Such a terrible return for a young superstar. Goes to show you why that team ended up having to relocate. The Jets were a horribly managed team.
Of course, it seemed better at the time - if not slanted in Winnipeg's favour. Both Tverdovsky and Kilger were considered to be stars in the making.

That was typical of the 1990s, I find. For some reason, a large part of the prospects who were supposed to become the faces of the league just... didn't.

Langdon Alger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Fastasaurus

Joe Thornton for Stuart, Primeau and Marco Sturm

Fastasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:15 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I think everyone can agree that the world has never been the same since Luca Caputi was traded for Nicolas Deschamps.
Agree, and i still dont get it! It totally took me by surprise and shook me.

How could they do that?

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:17 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langdon Alger View Post
Of course, it seemed better at the time - if not slanted in Winnipeg's favour. Both Tverdovsky and Kilger were considered to be stars in the making.

That was typical of the 1990s, I find. For some reason, a large part of the prospects who were supposed to become the faces of the league just... didn't.
and that is the thing people over look. Tverdovsky was supposed to be a stud d-man who after his first two season people believed he would be a norris type a guy shortly. Kilgar at 6-4 looked to have all the earmarks as guy who would become a power fw. Sadly his off ice activities hampered his growth and bounced all over the place till he quit.

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:17 PM
neutral zone trap13

I was pretty surprised when I found out about the Turris-Rundblad trade. I heard Turris was being shopped but never though he'd come to the Sens, and I also believed that Rundblad be on the Sens for at least the next decade.

neutral zone trap13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

I was kinda surprised by the Neal trade to be honest. I thought he and Benn would be the future of the Stars.

Cheddabombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:43 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Janurary 31, 2010.

To Toronto: Dion Phaneuf, Fredrik Sjostrom & Keith Aulie.
To Calgary: Matt Stajan, Ian White, Niklas Hagman & Jamal Mayers.

To Toronto: Jean-Sebastein Giguere.
To Anaheim: Vesa Toskala & Jason Blake.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 10:55 PM
rypper

That return on the Phaneuf trade is god awful.

What stands out most to me are the Thornton, hodgson, and Richards trades. Nobody saw them coming at all.

rypper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 11:06 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Recently for my team.

Zach Kassian & (Marc-Andre Gragnani )

For

Cody Hodgson & Alexander Sulzer

Did not expect to get those two guys as a return for Kassian who underperformed like crazy on our team. Gragnani was just a dump.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 11:07 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
hossa for heatley (+devries) was one of the most shocking of the decade.

09-28-2012, 11:15 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
hossa for heatley (+devries) was one of the most shocking of the decade.
It was no secret that heatley wanted out of Atlanta

Old
09-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Iridium128

Richards/Carter trades were the most shocking to me. I remember I had my last exam that morning, and I read on TSN that Richards had been traded and I think I swore then caught the bus to uni. I came back home after the exam and started drinking, decided to read up on who Richards was traded for and staring me in the eyes was Carter had been traded.

Massive WTF moments when I saw that.

Iridium128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 11:37 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridium128 View Post
Richards/Carter trades were the most shocking to me. I remember I had my last exam that morning, and I read on TSN that Richards had been traded and I think I swore then caught the bus to uni. I came back home after the exam and started drinking, decided to read up on who Richards was traded for and staring me in the eyes was Carter had been traded.

Massive WTF moments when I saw that.
I was at work here in London when the first deal went down, went away from the computer to do some work and when I returned the carter trade was up. I thought maybe they confused Richards for Carter or something

Old
09-28-2012, 11:50 PM
bernmeister

Most shocking ever was basically Park and Ratelle for Espo and Vadnais.
Curse you, Cat Francis!!!!

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 11:53 PM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
agreed. Ironically while at work all I could get were radio feeds on the deadline (i.e couldnt be on here lol) so all I gathered for a 20 min span was Kassian was traded...needless to say as a sabres fan I was M.Fing Darcy Reiger for all 20 mins then saw the trade and was quite happy(though i knew how bad I was gonna miss Zack even if his work ethic was souring me on him)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Recently for my team.

Zach Kassian & (Marc-Andre Gragnani )

For

Cody Hodgson & Alexander Sulzer

Did not expect to get those two guys as a return for Kassian who underperformed like crazy on our team. Gragnani was just a dump.
Yeah, what I remember most is that not one of the "experts" in the media even had that one on their radar. Not so much as a blip anywhere.

Also, Hodgson for Kassian and Sulzer for Gragnani were actually separate deals, just to be pedantic. I was fuming about losing Hodgson until I actually saw Kassian play. He was like an escaped mental patient out there. Love the energy, needs to work on control and consistency, but hey, he just turned 21 this year. Blessing in disguise from the lockout is that he gets some extra time to terrorize the AHL for a bit and condition himself better.

Gragnani...well, his problem was just that he was born in the wrong century. In the 1400's or 1500's, he'd have been just the guy to travel around the unexplored world, discover places, and name them after himself. He's just got that kind of spirit. He's the kind of guy who says: "What's over there? Way, way over there?" then goes to find out. Where others may say: "Why?" or "Seriously, why?" or even "What the hell is wrong with you? WHY?!" he says: "Why not?" Danger? Peril? Intricately designed hockey set plays? Merely speed bumps in the road of life to intrepid souls such as his. He'd drop whatever he was doing, sail halfway around the world, discover Hawaii, and name it Gragnaniland. Why? Just because. Sure, his father would say: "Idiot boy, I sent you to the barn for eggs and you return six months later with a sack of macadamia nuts. WTF?!" But to the rest of the world, he'd have nailed his name in the pages of history as the man who discovered Gragnaniland.

Sadly, this adventurous streak didn't serve him terribly well here, as has been documented. His shifts on the Canucks always kept us in suspense waiting to see which retarded place he'd suddenly decide to bugger off to. It'd certainly be nowhere near scrums or nasty bodily contact, that much was always assured, however. Sulzer wasn't any kind of loss because he was buried behind depth...and Aaron Rome, who out idiot coach had a massive hard spot for. I'm glad he worked out well for you guys; good to see him getting an NHL gig after being misused here.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
agreed. Ironically while at work all I could get were radio feeds on the deadline (i.e couldnt be on here lol) so all I gathered for a 20 min span was Kassian was traded...needless to say as a sabres fan I was M.Fing Darcy Reiger for all 20 mins then saw the trade and was quite happy(though i knew how bad I was gonna miss Zack even if his work ethic was souring me on him)
Really? Ever since coming to Vancouver he's been training like crazy, especially over the offseason. He seems really happy to be here, and really wants to prove himself.

Hopefully this turns into a win-win situation.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 12:22 AM
MalcontentCapsFan

Varly to Colorado was shocking to a lot of people.

MalcontentCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 12:43 AM
CanucksSayEh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Yeah, what I remember most is that not one of the "experts" in the media even had that one on their radar. Not so much as a blip anywhere.

Also, Hodgson for Kassian and Sulzer for Gragnani were actually separate deals, just to be pedantic. I was fuming about losing Hodgson until I actually saw Kassian play. He was like an escaped mental patient out there. Love the energy, needs to work on control and consistency, but hey, he just turned 21 this year. Blessing in disguise from the lockout is that he gets some extra time to terrorize the AHL for a bit and condition himself better.

Gragnani...well, his problem was just that he was born in the wrong century. In the 1400's or 1500's, he'd have been just the guy to travel around the unexplored world, discover places, and name them after himself. He's just got that kind of spirit. He's the kind of guy who says: "What's over there? Way, way over there?" then goes to find out. Where others may say: "Why?" or "Seriously, why?" or even "What the hell is wrong with you? WHY?!" he says: "Why not?" Danger? Peril? Intricately designed hockey set plays? Merely speed bumps in the road of life to intrepid souls such as his. He'd drop whatever he was doing, sail halfway around the world, discover Hawaii, and name it Gragnaniland. Why? Just because. Sure, his father would say: "Idiot boy, I sent you to the barn for eggs and you return six months later with a sack of macadamia nuts. WTF?!" But to the rest of the world, he'd have nailed his name in the pages of history as the man who discovered Gragnaniland.

Sadly, this adventurous streak didn't serve him terribly well here, as has been documented. His shifts on the Canucks always kept us in suspense waiting to see which retarded place he'd suddenly decide to bugger off to. It'd certainly be nowhere near scrums or nasty bodily contact, that much was always assured, however. Sulzer wasn't any kind of loss because he was buried behind depth...and Aaron Rome, who out idiot coach had a massive hard spot for. I'm glad he worked out well for you guys; good to see him getting an NHL gig after being misused here.
................um.........YEA!

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 12:58 AM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

I still fondly remember the day Mike Richards was traded and the reaction it got here (I was a lurker for a couple years). Everyone insulted Eklund for making the prediction, and then all of a sudden guys like McKenzie started reporting it and **** hit the fan

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 01:00 AM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post

That was beautiful.

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 01:03 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcontentCapsFan View Post
Varly to Colorado was shocking to a lot of people.
I was shocked more by the return than the trade itself.

09-29-2012, 01:03 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
The hodgson for kassian trade was one of the most random out of nowhere trades I have ever seen.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 01:14 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I think people knew the Flyers were going to do something to free up cap space to get a goalie, but I agree, not many people thought BOTH Richards and Carter would go back to back in such a short time
I think the biggest shock was creating cap space for a goalie who was a clear product of Ilya Bryzgalov.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 01:15 AM
duxfan8

The Beauch/Lupul+Gardiner trade was a big shock to me. I always am up to date on Ducks news/rumors, but that one just kinda popped out without any rumor. Not a big "shock" but somewhat out of the blue

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote