HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Final 30 Prospects

Old
09-28-2012, 03:22 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Final 30 Prospects

1.) Brendan Smith - D, 6'1" 198 lbs: Mimico, ON, CAN 72.73%
2.) Gustav Nyquist - RW/LW, 5'11" 185 lbs: Halmstad, SWE 68.75%
3.) Calle Järnkrok - C, 6'0" 183 lbs: Gävle, SWE 72.73%
4.) Tomáš Tatar - LW/RW, 5'10" 186 lbs: Ilava, SVK 44.44%
5.) Tomas Jurco - RW, 6'2" 187 lbs: Kosice, SVK 65.85%
6.) Riley Sheahan - C, 6'2" 223 lbs: St. Catharines, ON, CAN 27.78%
7.) Teemu Pulkkinen - RW, 5'10" 198 lbs: Vantaa, FIN 35.92%
8.) Xavier Ouellet - D, 6'1" 190 lbs: Bayonne, FRA 45.24%
9.) Ryan Sproul - D, 6'4" 200 lbs: Mississauga, ON, CAN 45.98%
10.) Petr Mrázek - G, 6'2" 185 lbs: Ostrava, CZE 62.69%
11.) Martin Frk - RW, 6'0" 203 lbs: Bochov, CZE 34.41%
12.) Marek Tvrdoň - LW, 6'2" 218 lbs: Nitra, SVK 54.55%
13.) Nick Jensen - D, 6'0" 194 lbs: Rogers, MN, USA 35.53%
14.) Alexei Marchenko - D, 6'02'' 183 lbs: Moscow, RUS 39.02%
15.) Joakim Andersson - C, 6'2" 206 lbs: Munkedal, SWE 52.94%
16.) Mattias Bäckman - D, 6'2" 170 lbs: Linköping, SWE 40.00%
17.) Louis-Marc Aubry - C, 6'4" 205 lbs: Trois-Rivières, QC, CAN 33.87%
18.) Landon Ferraro - C, 6'0 174 lbs: Trail, BC, CAN 38.98%
19.) Adam Almqvist - D, 5'11, 174 lbs: Jönköping, SWE 37.50%
20.) Andreas Athanasiou - LW, 6'1" 181 lbs: Mississauga, ON, CAN 34.43%
21.) Alan Quine - C/LW, 5'11" 188 lbs: Belleville, ON, CAN 41.18%
22.) Brian Lashoff - D, 6'3" 212 lbs: Albany, NY, USA 31.48%
23.) Mitchell Callahan - RW, 6'0" 190 lbs: Whittier, CA, USA 43.18%
24.) Richard Nedomlel - D, 6'4" 225 lbs: Praha, CZE 60.00%
25.) Jake Paterson - G, 6'2" 183 lbs: Mississauga, ON, CAN 54.29%
26.) Max Nicastro - D, 6'3" 209 lbs: Thousand Oaks, CA, USA 28.89%
27.) Ben Marshall - D, 5'9" 179 lbs: St. Paul, MN, USA 34.48%
28.) Thomas McCollum - G, 6'2" 209 lbs: Amherst, NY, USA 25.00%
29.) Rasmus Bodin - C, 6'6" 220 lbs: Brunflo, SWE 26.09%
30.) Mike McKee - D, 6'4" 229 lbs: Newmarket, ON, CAN 36.11%

Poll is closed for our top 30. Figure we might want to talk about it see what our differences our, I know I was thinking about putting my own top 30 later in the next couple of days. But we can debate who we think might be risers or who we have questions about. So figured this would be that thread. Lets be honest not a whole lot to talk about hope talks go better tomorrow on the CBA.

Would really like if any of our Swedish contingent knows Rasmus Bodin's hometown, eliteprospects didn't have it, either did my simple google searches with the first couple of Swedish to English in the translator giving me nothing.

Feel free to discuss this list, interesting to see where we all fall, I noticed Pulkkinen and Lashoff have very different opinions on the matter. Thanks for everyone who participated, sorry if it didn't always agree with everyone, it was fun to do.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 09-29-2012 at 01:47 AM.
The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 06:37 AM
probertrules24

vCash: 500
Thanks for putting in all the work on these RedWing19405. It is interesting to see the differences on how everybody views different prospects.

These were my picks way back at #2. With some of the seasons starting and roles being determined it might change a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by probertrules24 View Post
My top 10 consists of players I believe have upside and/or are playing in the AHL. It is very debatable as which league is better but to me the AHL more resembles the NHL with rink size and player size so I give that more value. Again only my opinion it could be wrong or right. I also don't like to rate newly drafted players as highly unless they were 1st rounders who look like they are guaranteed to make it.

I'm guessing some fans will Frk out.

1. Smith - Clear #1.
2. Nyquist - Playing in NA and is ready to make the jump.
3. Tatar - Has been playing in GR which most resembles the NHL style.
4. Jarnkrok - Has a better upside then maybe Nyquist and Tatar but hasn't played in NA
5. Sheahan - Toss up between him and Jurco. Center wins.
6. Jurco - Toss up between him and Sheahan. Center wins.
7. Mrazek - Will be come our top goalie prospect.
8. Andersson - Could be ready this year for a 4th line role.
9. Pulkkinen - Had a great camp and guess his ranking will climb back up this year.
10. Almqvist - He was my sleeper pick and I think he will have very strong year in GR.
11. Tvrdon - Should be top 10 but will rise quickly this year.
12. Jensen - Not much attention but his wheels will make him good.
13. Sproul - Him and Ouellet were interchangeable. 6'3 RH shot wins.
14. Ouellet - Him and Sproul were interchangeable.
15. Aubry - Size and can skate. Will make a great 4th liner one day.
16. Lashoff - Has size and should be a top 4 player in GR this year.
17. Ferraro - With his speed and hands he can become a very gritty bottom 6 player.
18. Backman - Lacks weight but plays a very smart game. His WJC helped him rise.
19. Frk - Hard to say what they have but a good season he may end up being the biggest riser.
20. Marchenko - Playing in the KHL at 20 and can only see his role and ranking rise.
21. Nedomlel - Has a very underrated wrist shot from the point and will fight.
22. Quine - Had a great season and if he can continue he will rise quickly.
23. Callahan - Will make a great 4th line agitator and likes to fight. Should of been top 20.
24. Parkes - Likes to hit and shoot the puck. Hopefully a bigger role as a sophomore.
25. McCollum - Still have hope he can turn this around.

Last edited by probertrules24: 09-28-2012 at 08:35 AM.
probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 08:10 AM
ChadS

Thanks for doing this, great job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Would really like if any of our Swedish contingent knows Rasmus Bodin's hometown, eliteprospects didn't have it, either did my simple google searches with the first couple of Swedish to English in the translator giving me nothing.
I'm guessing (based on his previous teams) that he's from the Östersund municipality, possibly Brunflo where he played as a 15 year old. I checked the HV71 U20 roster and he was listed at 198cm/100kg which is 6'6"/220, a bit heavier than what eliteprospects has him listed at. I hope he gets to play soon, have no idea if he's injured or whats going on.

Comparing this list to my own, there are only 3 differences in the top-10 as I have Mrazek at #6, Sheahan at #7 and Tvrdon at #10. I think between #6 and #12 it's quite even so that's where it gets harder to rank. IMO Pulkkinen is way too high at #7, I have him at #11. About 5 games in to the season for both, it seems like Bäckman is going to have a better season than Marchenko. Gigantic difference in icetime at the moment.

Out of the unranked guys, I bet Parkes, De Haas and Coetzee will make the list next summer. IMO possible guys to fall down the list(compared to now): Pulkkinen, Marchenko and Almqvist.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 08:45 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Who are the leftovers?

By the way, Bodin is from Brunflo, about 20km southeast of Östersund. But I guess he was born in Östersund since the hospital is there.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:12 AM
sully61
Unregistered User

Surprisingly how big we are, to bad the more skilled forwards weren't a bit bigger

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:20 AM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Who are the leftovers?
Parkes, Raedeke, Fournier, Coetzee, De Haas, Hudon, Nestrasil, Pare and Pearce. I think.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 10:03 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Pretty good list even if it's a bit predictable.
A couple thoughts
* No Nestrasil in the top 30 just doesn't cut it. To me, Nesty never really got a shot on last year's team.
* I think Gleason Fournier deserved to be in the top 30, too.
* To make room for those guys, I'd remove any two of Bodin, Marshall or Nedomiel.
* I think we all punish Nicastro for D-baginess. But Nicastro behind Nedomiel makes very little sense to me.
* Of these prospects, I believe the following are due for contracts this year: Ouellet, Sproul, Quine, Tverdon, Hudon, Backman, Nedomiel and Marchenko. In my estimate, here is the likelihood of getting a contract: Ouellet (100%), Sproul (100%), Tvdron (90%), Backman (75%), Marchenko (70% Russian factor bringing it down), Quine (55%), Nedomiel (50%), Hudon (5%)
* It's early, but the 10 and 11 drafts look really good so far.
* Then again, we thought the 09 draft was a big winner at one point. Judging by the 08 draft, where it's starting to look like Nyquist is the only thing that will come out of it, is this the make-it or break-it year for the 09 draftees? Possibly. For Nestrasil and Fournier, if they can't get a shot in GR this year, stick a fork in'em. Ferraro needs to take the next step this year, or I think it's time to write him off. Callahan is the kind of guy who might not surface for a few years yet. But there's a good chance that he's never anything more than an AHLer. Tatar? IMO, if he doesn't get a shot with the Wings this year, he'll go overseas. Hard to believe Jensen has gone back to college at the age of 22. Too early to write him off, but I don't think that's promising. Almquist, too, has a make or break year ahead of him. He can solidfy himself as a Wings prospect this year or totally bomb.

It's interesting to see our top 12 on July 31, 2010.

1. Tomas Tatar - Left Wing - 55.32%
2. Brendan Smith - Defense - 47.62%
3. Jakub Kindl - Defense - 63.33%
4. Gustav Nyquist - Left Wing - 44.00%
5. Jan Mursak - Right Wing - 36.84%
6. Thomas McCollum Goaltender - 23.91%
7. Riley Sheahan - Center - 40.00%
8. Landon Ferraro - Center - 47.62%
9. Calle Jarnkrok - Center - 42.86%
10. Teemu Pulkkinen - Right Wing - 47.37%
11. Adam Almqvist - Defense - 65.71%
12. Andrej Nestrasil - Right Wing - 31.43%

Just for fun, here was my top 21 prospects from 2007:
Quote:
1. Jakub Kindl
Defenseman with size and mobility. Plenty of skill. Needs experience. Also needs to get tougher. A potential 2-3 guy, I think.

2. Jimmy Howard
Holland says this is a big year for Howard, and I agree. He played for a bad GR team this year and struggled with consistency. GR should have a veteran team this year. He needs to find consistency to get the shot at a starter's job next season.

3. Jan Mursak
Super fast forward is small but skilled. Potential scoring line winger. Looked good in a short stint with Grand Rapids this year. Coaches love his fearlessness.

4. Brendan Smith
Fast skating offensive-minded defenseman who is willing to get physical. Long ways away.
needs to pay attention to defense and get stronger.

5. Igor Grigorenko
Questions remain about Grigorenko, who was once deemed good enough to step in and contribute. We should have our answers shortly.

6. Kyle Quincey
Quincey impressed me in his stints in Detroit, despite mixed reviews from Grand Rapids. He's 6'2, 215 and can skate. He's back in my good book, anyway.

7. Justin Abdelkader
Big body who skates well and should be a force on a checking line. Think Johan Franzen.

8. Darren Helm
Gritty sparkplug who's been a leading points producer in the WHL since being drafted. Think Maltby/Cleary.

9. Jonathan Ericsson
He's a mobile 6'5 defenseman who's got a good head for the game. There are times when I think he should be way up this list.

10. Johan Ryno
Andersson said he's got the best chance, of all Euro prospects, of making an impact. Maybe. I know he had back surgery last year, but he was real inconsistent. I'm not as high on this guy as others are.

11. Dick Axelsson
6'2 fast forward with scoring touch. IMO, he's probably our best pure offensive talent, not including Mursak. Needs to play in the SEL this year. Could rise rapidly.

12. Cory Emmerton
Not a great skater. Not big. But has great offensive instincts. I'm not real high on this guy.

13. Daniel Larsson
Important prospect in goal

14. Joakim Andersson
Some are calling him a Franzen clone with more punch.

15. Logan Pyett
Smallish mobile defensemen benefit from the new NHL perhaps more than anyone.

16. Ryan Oulahen
Major improvement in GR last season. Still has potential to be a defensive player. Could find it tough with icetime in GR next season, with all of the NHL castoffs who've signed.

17. Derek Meech
See Pyett.

18. Zack Toquato
Dropped like a stone in the draft. Has offensive potential. Skating is an issue.

19. Evan McGrath
Huge year for McGrath, who struggled mightily in the minors last year.

20. Gennady Stolyarov
A 6'4 forward who finally made it as a regular in the Russian League. Has a world of potential.

21. Anton Axelsson
PJ's younger brother showed offensive potential earlier in his career, but it's been slow to develop in the SEL. If he makes it, it will be as a defensive forward, but he's not a great skater and is not very big.
It's really kind of an eye opener that reminds us how tough it is to make the NHL and how slow the Wings are when it comes to developing players.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 10:05 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Thanks for doing this, great job!

I'm guessing (based on his previous teams) that he's from the Östersund municipality, possibly Brunflo where he played as a 15 year old. I checked the HV71 U20 roster and he was listed at 198cm/100kg which is 6'6"/220, a bit heavier than what eliteprospects has him listed at. I hope he gets to play soon, have no idea if he's injured or whats going on.

Comparing this list to my own, there are only 3 differences in the top-10 as I have Mrazek at #6, Sheahan at #7 and Tvrdon at #10. I think between #6 and #12 it's quite even so that's where it gets harder to rank. IMO Pulkkinen is way too high at #7, I have him at #11. About 5 games in to the season for both, it seems like Bäckman is going to have a better season than Marchenko. Gigantic difference in icetime at the moment.

Out of the unranked guys, I bet Parkes, De Haas and Coetzee will make the list next summer. IMO possible guys to fall down the list(compared to now): Pulkkinen, Marchenko and Almqvist.
Backman is getting icetime. If Marchenko can stay in the lineup and get more IT, he's going to benefit a lot from playing with Datsyuk and company.

Old
09-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Rzombo4 prez

I think we are starting to hit up or out territory for a lot of these guys. We only have so many roster spots in GR, especially on the blueline. Part of me really wants to see what a Nicastro or Fournier will look like after a couple years of professional seasoning. If they don't make an immediate impact this year, however, they may not even have an AHL roster spot in 13/14.

Anyways, I really like the mix of players we have in the system. There aren't many who I am ready to write off today. We will need a couple to overachieve, but I guess that is true of every organization.

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 02:47 PM
joe89

I think we have a little bit of everything in our system, which is good. Maybe lack a stud #1 center prospect(even if Jarnkrok and Sheahan are fine prospects), but those are hard to come by without high picks.

I also like that we have new high upside projects lurking in the system now that quite a few others are reaching NHL readiness. Very interested to see what Quine, Tvrdon, Frk and Athanasiou do this season. At least one of them ought to surprise.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 04:10 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I think we have a little bit of everything in our system, which is good. Maybe lack a stud #1 center prospect(even if Jarnkrok and Sheahan are fine prospects), but those are hard to come by without high picks.

I also like that we have new high upside projects lurking in the system now that quite a few others are reaching NHL readiness. Very interested to see what Quine, Tvrdon, Frk and Athanasiou do this season. At least one of them ought to surprise.
We also don't have that tough, power forward with offensive upside.
Nor do we really have any truly tough defensive prospects... McKee and Nedomiel being way down the list.

Old
09-28-2012, 05:38 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Nor do we really have any truly tough defensive prospects... McKee and Nedomiel being way down the list.
Nedomlel is his last name. Not with an "i". But I really think once he gets the the AHL next season he'll start to get better quick. I think we'll see him in Detroit full time in 2016

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:46 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Brendan Smith is pretty tough and is number 1.

Sheahans plays pretty tough, I dunno if he fights but hes a big hitter

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 01:46 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Thanks to everyone for participating, sorry if it wasn't run great all the time.

My personal list.

1.) Brendan Smith
2.) Calle Järnkrok
3.) Gustav Nyquist
4.) TomᚠTatar
5.) Riley Sheahan
6.) Petr Mrázek
7.) Tomas Jurco
8.) Xavier Ouellet
9.) Marek Tvrdoň
10.) Nick Jensen
11.) Ryan Sproul
12.) Martin Frk
13.) Teemu Pulkkinen
14.) Alexei Marchenko
15.) Joakim Andersson
16.) Louis-Marc Aubry
17.) Mattias Bäckman
18.) Landon Ferraro
19.) Alan Quine
20.) Richard Nedomlel
21.) Andreas Athanasiou
22.) Brian Lashoff
23.) Max Nicastro
24.) Adam Almqvist
25.) Mitchell Callahan
26.) Jake Paterson
27.) Thomas McCollum
28.) Rasmus Bodin
29.) James De Haas
30.) Brent Raedeke

A little different but just how I see it, thanks to everyone for helping with the polls over the last month plus.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote