HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Most shocking trades (trades no one saw coming)

Old
09-29-2012, 01:19 AM
Martyros

vCash: 500
EJ for Shattenkirk?

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 01:22 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
I think any Colorado trade in the last few years is a surprise. Maybe not a huge one, yet no one sees them coming.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 02:19 AM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

EJ/Stewart and Hodgson/Kassian trades are for sure the most shocking as of late. The Varly trade isnt as surprising because we knew Colorado was looking for a goalie and were after a young developed one like bernier, schneider, varly....

TheFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 02:28 AM
Iceonfire

For the Oil,

The Gilbert-Schultz trade makes sense, but it was fairly out of thin air.

The Oilers offering Penner, Smid and Cogliano for Heatley was pretty shocking for both teams. And I am so happy that it didn't work out.

Ryan Smyth being traded at the deadline from the Oil wasn't exactly unexpected by some, but very shocking for the hometown fans.

Iceonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 02:29 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
EJ/Stewart and Hodgson/Kassian trades are for sure the most shocking as of late. The Varly trade isnt as surprising because we knew Colorado was looking for a goalie and were after a young developed one like bernier, schneider, varly....
I think it was pretty clear the Caps were also dealing one of their young goalies but to trade the best of the bunch for futures was definitively surprising. I thought Neuvirth was the one going for sure.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 02:37 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
Luongo to Vancouver.

Thanks a lot Mike Keenan. Dick.
not his fault he mentioned on tv the owner blocked a deal with the bruins for thorton because he didnt want to take on the money

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 02:39 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
For me, Lee Stempniak to Toronto for Alex Steen and Carlo Colaiacovo.

Stempniak came out on fire that season for the Blues and I thought he was breaking out in the best way. He was my favorite Blue at the time too.

Still, love the trade now.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 02:46 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

The Heatley for Havlat trade was pretty out of nowhere for me. Many Wild fans knew that Havlat was a little grumpy with the Wild, but I don't think many of us considered the possibility of trading him, yet alone in a one for one swap.

Were the Sharks shopping Heater at all at the time? I don't recall seeing any Heatley trade rumors either. I'm sure they were a little upset at his playoff performance that year but still. . . .

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 06:12 AM
DontToewzMeBro

Roenick for Zhamnov/Craig mills /thread

DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 07:17 AM
HiddenInLight

The Kassian - Hodgeson deal stunned pretty much the entire league. I dont remember any other trade announcement thread getting that many remakes. None of the insiders saw it coming. Nobody ever suggested it in an article or a thread i have seen. Normally there is at least a little bit of whispering before any trade goes down. Like buffalo has been talking on and off with vancouver or the like. Absolutely shocking. Especially since both players were on pretty much everyones untouchable player list.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 07:45 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Yeah, what I remember most is that not one of the "experts" in the media even had that one on their radar. Not so much as a blip anywhere.

Also, Hodgson for Kassian and Sulzer for Gragnani were actually separate deals, just to be pedantic. I was fuming about losing Hodgson until I actually saw Kassian play. He was like an escaped mental patient out there. Love the energy, needs to work on control and consistency, but hey, he just turned 21 this year. Blessing in disguise from the lockout is that he gets some extra time to terrorize the AHL for a bit and condition himself better.

Gragnani...well, his problem was just that he was born in the wrong century. In the 1400's or 1500's, he'd have been just the guy to travel around the unexplored world, discover places, and name them after himself. He's just got that kind of spirit. He's the kind of guy who says: "What's over there? Way, way over there?" then goes to find out. Where others may say: "Why?" or "Seriously, why?" or even "What the hell is wrong with you? WHY?!" he says: "Why not?" Danger? Peril? Intricately designed hockey set plays? Merely speed bumps in the road of life to intrepid souls such as his. He'd drop whatever he was doing, sail halfway around the world, discover Hawaii, and name it Gragnaniland. Why? Just because. Sure, his father would say: "Idiot boy, I sent you to the barn for eggs and you return six months later with a sack of macadamia nuts. WTF?!" But to the rest of the world, he'd have nailed his name in the pages of history as the man who discovered Gragnaniland.

Sadly, this adventurous streak didn't serve him terribly well here, as has been documented. His shifts on the Canucks always kept us in suspense waiting to see which retarded place he'd suddenly decide to bugger off to. It'd certainly be nowhere near scrums or nasty bodily contact, that much was always assured, however. Sulzer wasn't any kind of loss because he was buried behind depth...and Aaron Rome, who out idiot coach had a massive hard spot for. I'm glad he worked out well for you guys; good to see him getting an NHL gig after being misused here.
HAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAH!!

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Yossarian54

Quote:
Gragnani...well, his problem was just that he was born in the wrong century. In the 1400's or 1500's, he'd have been just the guy to travel around the unexplored world, discover places, and name them after himself. He's just got that kind of spirit. He's the kind of guy who says: "What's over there? Way, way over there?" then goes to find out. Where others may say: "Why?" or "Seriously, why?" or even "What the hell is wrong with you? WHY?!" he says: "Why not?" Danger? Peril? Intricately designed hockey set plays? Merely speed bumps in the road of life to intrepid souls such as his. He'd drop whatever he was doing, sail halfway around the world, discover Hawaii, and name it Gragnaniland. Why? Just because. Sure, his father would say: "Idiot boy, I sent you to the barn for eggs and you return six months later with a sack of macadamia nuts. WTF?!" But to the rest of the world, he'd have nailed his name in the pages of history as the man who discovered Gragnaniland.
Best.

Yossarian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 08:42 AM
FinHockey
KRH Master Race

I would agree on the Mike Richards trade. Everyone and their mother knew one of Carter/Richards was going to be traded but when they both left I was very suprised.

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Oshie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsedin View Post
Of recent trades..the E. Johnson / Stewart + Shattenkirk trade seemed to have taken a lot of people by surprise.
This, no body had even a sniff of that trade. I was at work and playing online when I checked at like 4 a.m. I was in complete shock as EJ was considered unreadable even though he was no developing as everyone thought he would.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 08:55 AM
Trap Jesus

Thornton trade. I remember it came in at like 11:00 pm or something when I was just about to go to bed. At first I was shocked and appalled but said, "Well, at least we'll be getting Marleau." Saw the pieces coming back and was floored. Everyone at school knew I was a Bruins fan so I knew I was gonna get chirped.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 09:03 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

Sadly, this adventurous streak didn't serve him terribly well here, as has been documented. His shifts on the Canucks always kept us in suspense waiting to see which retarded place he'd suddenly decide to bugger off to. It'd certainly be nowhere near scrums or nasty bodily contact, that much was always assured, however. Sulzer wasn't any kind of loss because he was buried behind depth...and Aaron Rome, who out idiot coach had a massive hard spot for. I'm glad he worked out well for you guys; good to see him getting an NHL gig after being misused here.

Bravo.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Dolphinwave

Old one but, Rob Blake to Colorado. Him leaving the Kings came as a shock to me.

Dolphinwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 09:16 AM
foppagirl21

Ok, here is a crappy one for Avs fans. The 2003 trade that sent both Yelle and Drury to Calgary. Shocking, the return stunk, and, well, awful.

...or was it in 2004?

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Catsfan7

Rostislav Olesz for Brian Campbell

Catsfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 09:23 AM
NEWFowler
hi

Looking back, the Blues sure made some great deals..

The one that caught me the most off guard is probably the Richards trade.

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Puckgenius*

rick nash to NY

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Puckgenius*

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
Ok, here is a crappy one for Avs fans. The 2003 trade that sent both Yelle and Drury to Calgary. Shocking, the return stunk, and, well, awful.

...or was it in 2004?
For Morris and McAlmond.

Avs hated it cause drury was a favourite then. Flames dealt their highly and best touted D prospect for more offense. It was hard seeing Yelle go, he was very instrumental to their two cups and was a beast in the playoffs. One helluva PKer and warrior.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Isles72

I dont think any islander fans saw the luongo , jokinen trade comin nor the berard for f.potvin one.

both were a kick in the balls for me .

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 09:52 AM
sharks9

I was pretty shocked when Halak got traded. I thought for sure it was going to be Price that got traded but I'm glad I was wrong.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
The Heatley for Havlat trade was pretty out of nowhere for me. Many Wild fans knew that Havlat was a little grumpy with the Wild, but I don't think many of us considered the possibility of trading him, yet alone in a one for one swap.

Were the Sharks shopping Heater at all at the time? I don't recall seeing any Heatley trade rumors either. I'm sure they were a little upset at his playoff performance that year but still. . . .
Should've traded Havlat to NJ.

Elias-Havlat would be an amazing tandem, and they are really good friends as well.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote