HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

MLD 2012 Montagu Allan Semifinal: Zambia Mania vs. Lokomotif Yaroslavl

Old
09-18-2012, 12:37 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
6'0", 220 back in the 1920s though. wow.

and i do think that adds to his case as a defenseman. what forward played at that size? Literally no one that I know of.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 06:43 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
6'0", 220 back in the 1920s though. wow.

and i do think that adds to his case as a defenseman. what forward played at that size? Literally no one that I know of.
Nels Stewart and Charlie Conaher were over 6 feet.

In my research of Nels Stewart, I found that the thinking of the day wasn't to put the big guys on defense, but to put the slow guys back there. I found countless contemporary opinions that Nels Stewart should play defense because of his poor skating. Big guys generally are slower, but Goheen definately was not.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:45 AM
vecens24

Here's one calling Goheen a Rover:

Quote:
A rover--the seventh man in the era of seven-man hockey--Goheen played on the 1920 Olympic team that won a silver medal. In 1925, the league in which the team played became a minor professional league. Despite frequent offers to play in the National Hockey League, Goheen remained with St. Paul until his retirement in 1932.
http://www.hickoksports.com/biograph/goheenmoose.shtml

Edit: So basically, we've now seen him called every position of the era except goalie. I...yeah I have no idea.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:31 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I think we can assume that Goheen played all over the place. I wish we knew how much of it was actually at D to know how effective he'd be here.

I think VI is wise to dress 7 defensemen here. Will you give Goheen or McNamara some shifts at forward? Or would that screw up the top pair too much?

What I do think is problematic is that even as defensemen, both McNamara and Goheen were more known for their offense than defense - Goheen was known as a rusher; and McNamara is mostly drafted for his huge size and offensive stats, right?

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 12:42 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Good luck, VI and congrats for defeating a very good Pittsburgh team!

These are some strategies and keys to the series for Zambia:

1) Match Doug Young and Miroslav Dvorak against Romnes and MacDougall whenever possible.I agree with VI's previous opponents that Romnes and MacDougall are Lokomotiv's only top notch consistent offensive threats (Briere only scores at a historically noteworthy level in the playoffs).

2) Take advantage of Briere's cherry picking and uninterest in defensive play. It was shocking to me to see Briere stand around doing nothing while the Devils got scoring chance after scoring chance in this last year's playoffs. Reminded me of Pavel Bure during the regular season. We all know that Briere has put up extraordinary offensive numbers in the playoffs since the lockout, but he sure given a lot back to the other team.

-9 career in the playoffs and -5 since the lockout. That's an absolutely brutal +/- (over a large sample of games) when you consider:

a) Briere has spent his post-lockout career beating up on second rate competition while fellow centers Chris Drury, then Mike Richards / Jeff Carter, then Claude Giroux / Sean Couterier take the tougher assignments
b) he puts up a ton of offense, which should give him lots of pluses. So he's definitely getting a ton of minuses against that second rate competition to be a minus player in the playoffs

How does Zambia Mania take advantage of Briere?
a) Match either the Haynes and Sands line against him. Both Haynes and Sands have the defensive ability to contain Briere, and both lines have the quick-strike counter ability to punish his cherry picking in the counterattack - Haynes, Ward, and Sullivan are all offensively dangerous and all were among the fastest skaters of their eras.
b) Mike Green and Mark Streit will be very useful in head manning rushes the other way when Briere is cheating offensively and both can take advantage of any powerplay-like opportunities created by Briere's cherry picking. It will up to Walt Buswell and Scott Hannan to watch and make sure Briere doesn't get loose.

Briere will get loose sometimes and get his points, but I'm confident that his style will lead to more goals-against than goals-for in this series. Briere's high risk style will be especially dangerous when backed by the Goheen - MacNamara pair that I think is defensively questionable

3) Take advantage of powerplays

I think that Zambia Mania has a significantly better PP than anything our opponents can put together. Andy Green and Mark Streit have the best established offense in the series among defensemen, one is a RH shot and one is a LH shot. And neither is playing big PK minutes, so I expect this pair to play the majority of every PP. Young and Dvorak come on at the very end of an unsuccessful PP for mop up duty - which has the benefit of getting out top shutdown pair out there for the next shift.

Up front, Vanek is an established slot man, and much better offensively than someone like Blair. As far as I know, Lokomotiv doesn't have a guy who excels in front of the net, but I could be mistaken. I think Haynes/Ward is at least as good as Romnes/MacDougall. Briere is good for a second unit, but where is his support?

4) Desired matchups

Doug Young and Miroslav Dvorak against the Blair line.
Buswell/Green or Streit/Hannon against Briere
Anyone against Lokomotiv's 3rd and 4th lines

Haynes, or Sands against Briere
Marchant, Sands, or Haynes against Blair
Smith against Carpenter/Acton

To facilitate the forward matchups, the Donald Smith line will take very few defensive zone draws

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 09-25-2012 at 12:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old
09-20-2012, 11:19 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Doc Romnes may have won the Lady Byng in 1936 but two short years later, in Game 3 of The Stanley Cup Finals he showed playoff prowess in terms of grit and clutch play:

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 87 of Stanley Cup Fever, by Brian McFarlane
"Hawk fans greeted the Leafs' Red Horner, suspected of breaking the nose of Doc Romnes in game two, with a chorus of boos and a shower of debris... When Doc Romnes crashed into Horner and smacked him over the head with his stick, sending the Leaf player to his knees, a Chicago sportswriter wrote: 'Romnes waved his stick at Horner and the Leaf player fainted.' Romnes scored the winning goal with less than five minutes to play, beating Broda with a longshot in the 2-1 victory.

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 06:08 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Your winner, in 7 games, is Zambia Mania

series stars:
Paddy Moran, Daniel Briere, Jimmy Ward, Thomas Vanek, Johnny Mowers, Billy Gilmour

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 06:10 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Congrats.

Old
09-29-2012, 02:21 PM
vecens24

Why in god's name did this series go 7 games? Is there something I'm missing about this Yaroslavl team?

Old
09-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Why in god's name did this series go 7 games? Is there something I'm missing about this Yaroslavl team?

Haha... the piano key necktie...

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 02:32 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Congrats.
Thanks, VI.

Quote:
Based on the stars of the series, it seems like other people respect Briere a lot more than I (and presumably you) do.

Old
09-29-2012, 02:55 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Can't speak for anyone else, but for me Mowers played a role in the length of the series.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 03:33 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Can't speak for anyone else, but for me Mowers played a role in the length of the series.
Mowers is really tough for me to rate, to be honest. You have to give him some credit for the fact that World War 2 ended his career when it was getting started; the tough part is how much.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 09-29-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old
09-29-2012, 06:47 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

I didn't pimp my team but looking at the bios one could see the line-up is full of playoff performers.

Quote:
You criticize everything I do. Your comment is a kick in the face. really, low class uinnecessary "Gawd your team sucked" kind of comment. Your attitude is consistently offputting.

Out.

Old
09-29-2012, 07:07 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
I didn't pimp my team but looking at the bios one could see the line-up is full of playoff performers.

You criticize everything I do. Your comment is a kick in the face. really, low class uinnecessary "Gawd your team sucked" kind of comment. Your attitude is consistently offputting.

Out.
It's not meant towards you necessarily it's just meant towards, "hey, there's something everyone else sees about this team that I don't. What is it?"

More specifically: I think the defense is pretty bad (among the weakest in the draft), I think the goalie is slightly above average, and there is no offense after the first line, and especially lacks offense from the back-end. Briere isn't going to be able to carry that second line himself. It's just a weak team. It has grit, but grit only takes you so far.

So I'm just wondering what people like about it.