HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Why? He might start on wing but if he's halve as good as he's projected he'd be our 3C in 2 years. 2C in 3-4 years and our 1C in 5. Kesler can play wing and the Sedins won't be about forever. Nobody else we have comes close.

That'd be a good option if we wanted Jones anyway.
I think Franchise defensemen are much rarer than franchise centres though. Jones would fill a bigger need for us right now, and I think that while their skilsets are very different, their overall impact is about the same.

Old
09-29-2012, 02:05 AM
thefeebster

vCash: 500
If we have a #1 overall pick by some outrageous turn of events (IE luck is on our side), there is absolutely no way I am trading down to get Jones and passing up MacKinnon along the way. And I love Jones. Watched him play a bit with the NTDP and was blown away. But that decision would be a mistake. Drafting in the first round based on needs is a mistake, one we've literally seen first hand.

Neither Franchise centers or dmen are easy to acquire. Hell, we were running with Bmo as our top centerman for years! Both need to be acquired from the draft, just as Henrik was. The Sedins have just turned 32 and we have literally no one to take their place once their contract run out or they move on (No Kesler is not that guy).

In this situation, draft MacKinnon, trade Luo and try to get a 1st out of it, then draft Drouin. Success.

Old
09-29-2012, 02:41 AM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

vCash: 50
I'm hoping we could get a guy like Eric Roy or Ryan Pulock if they do drop, we could use an explosive defensemen like them. Keegan Kanzig didn't even get ranked in the CSS ( ) but I feel he will end up anywhere from a 2nd-4th round pick by the end of the year. He has no offensive talent, but he's a good shutdown defenseman and he's a towering 6'6 and he weighed in at 235lbs this year.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
09-29-2012, 01:01 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Meh, I'd rather add a franchise D than wing(Which Mackinnon would end up being on our team).

Even if it meant trading down a spot.
Makes sense...I mean, there were people here who would have drafted Hedman over Tavares. Hell, I'm sure there were probably people who would have drafted Jack Johnson over Sidney Crosby. We did, afterall, have no room for Crosby with Morrison and Henrik as our top 2 centers back in 2005, right?

MacKinnon over Jones 30 out of 30 times. Jones is a great prospect, but he's the number 2 prospect in this draft.

09-29-2012, 01:03 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
I'm hoping we could get a guy like Eric Roy or Ryan Pulock if they do drop, we could use an explosive defensemen like them. Keegan Kanzig didn't even get ranked in the CSS ( ) but I feel he will end up anywhere from a 2nd-4th round pick by the end of the year. He has no offensive talent, but he's a good shutdown defenseman and he's a towering 6'6 and he weighed in at 235lbs this year.
According to mynhldraft.com, Roy is slated to go in the 25th right now (obviously too early to make any assessments on this).

Old
09-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Makes sense...I mean, there were people here who would have drafted Hedman over Tavares. Hell, I'm sure there were probably people who would have drafted Jack Johnson over Sidney Crosby. We did, afterall, have no room for Crosby with Morrison and Henrik as our top 2 centers back in 2005, right?

MacKinnon over Jones 30 out of 30 times. Jones is a great prospect, but he's the number 2 prospect in this draft.
Jones to Mackinnon is nothing like Hedman to Tavares or Crosby to JJ.

There are plenty of rankings that have Jones over Mackinnon. I think who gets drafted first will be based on positional needs.(Ex. Columbus-Mackinnon, Edmonton-Jones)

http://thehockeywriters.com/2013-nhl...ason-rankings/
http://www.nhlmockdraft.org/2013-nhl...an-early-look/

Not that it matters. If we can get anyone of the top-10 picks in this draft, I would be extremely happy(unless of course it's because we stunk in the season as opposed to lottery/other teams pick from a Luongo trade)

Old
09-29-2012, 01:38 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Jones to Mackinnon is nothing like Hedman to Tavares or Crosby to JJ.

There are plenty of rankings that have Jones over Mackinnon. I think who gets drafted first will be based on positional needs.(Ex. Columbus-Mackinnon, Edmonton-Jones)

http://thehockeywriters.com/2013-nhl...ason-rankings/
http://www.nhlmockdraft.org/2013-nhl...an-early-look/

Not that it matters. If we can get anyone of the top-10 picks in this draft, I would be extremely happy(unless of course it's because we stunk in the season as opposed to lottery/other teams pick from a Luongo trade)
There were several rankings that had Hedman over Tavares too during their draft year. We get this almost every year where there is a top forward and a top defenseman in the draft. The forward is generally better, but people for some reason jump on the bandwagon of the defenseman. It's ridiculous to do that just because of a position that the guy plays.

Jones is great, and I'm not taking anything away from him. He is the SECOND best prospect in the draft. But MacKinnon is simply the better prospect. It would be a HUGE mistake to take Jones over MacKinnon, just like it would have been a HUGE mistake if the Islanders took Hedman over Tavares (as some people even on this board would have done).

Old
09-30-2012, 04:22 PM
thefeebster

Its rare but i agree with Pauser on this one. There's a reason why Bobby Mac surveyed 10 NHL scouts and 10 of 10 chose MacKinnon.

A guy passed over to keep an eye on is Michael Moffat from Kingston. I watched one game, was trying to get a look at Ryan Kujawinski, but came away blown away with Moffat and its been a long time since i've seen a dman physically take charge like this. Was also a stud defensively while picking up 3 points. It is only one game but he had another great game today (3 assists). He's off to a hot start, but is certainly a kind of guy we are missing from our prospect pool, so he could be a guy looked at in the late rounds or a FA signing.

Watch if you are interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9zXrU-AC1Y

Old
10-01-2012, 01:24 AM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

putting the Crosby comparisons aside, I believe Mackinnon will be the next best thing since Crosby. If a team takes Jones over Mackinnon I'd be shocked.

Old
10-01-2012, 01:37 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
putting the Crosby comparisons aside, I believe Mackinnon will be the next best thing since Crosby. If a team takes Jones over Mackinnon I'd be shocked.
I don't know. MacKinnon had 1.34 PPG in his year before draft eligiblity while Crosby had 2.29. MacKinnon is the clear #1 but I'm not sure I'd give him that tag yet. Even Tavares was really big even though he's been on a really crappy Islander team.

I still don't know. He could be. It'll be fun to see what he does in the Q this year. I wouldn't mind Seth Jones either. I'd kill to have either.

Old
10-01-2012, 03:01 AM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Its rare but i agree with Pauser on this one. There's a reason why Bobby Mac surveyed 10 NHL scouts and 10 of 10 chose MacKinnon.

A guy passed over to keep an eye on is Michael Moffat from Kingston. I watched one game, was trying to get a look at Ryan Kujawinski, but came away blown away with Moffat and its been a long time since i've seen a dman physically take charge like this. Was also a stud defensively while picking up 3 points. It is only one game but he had another great game today (3 assists). He's off to a hot start, but is certainly a kind of guy we are missing from our prospect pool, so he could be a guy looked at in the late rounds or a FA signing.

Watch if you are interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9zXrU-AC1Y
watched that clip, very good at angling forwards to the boards and wiping them out.
(reminds me of luke schenn in that regard)

Mobility it pretty good.

Need to see a lot more, but definitely a prospect to keep an eye on.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:53 AM
arsmaster

Lazar is the 'pie in the sky' prospect I want as of now.

Him or Josh Morissey.

Hoping for a top 2 pick is fun, but 99.99% unlikely.

This would be a helluva year to have two firsts.

Old
10-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

I'd want us to trade up as high as possible to get a blue chipper. It's going to be a really good draft.

Old
10-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

Him or Josh Morissey.

Just trade a Sedin to each of the top 2 picking teams, draft MacKinnon and Jones and watch the fun! Yay setting the team back 5 years!

Old
10-01-2012, 02:09 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

Him or Josh Morissey.

I agree. Lazar is my favorite "dream" pick right now. Drouin a close 2nd.

Imagine Columbus! They have 3 1sts this draft. The plethora of options and trade up possibilities.

Old
10-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Ristolainen is my "unlikely-but-not-as-unlikely-as-Jones-or-Mackinnon" dream pick.

Solid defensive positioning, great shot. A defenseman you'd want on in all situations(Including the shootout!).

Old
10-01-2012, 04:19 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

I laugh at the 10 scouts in McKenzie's rankings.

I was on the Drouin hype train during the QMJHL playoffs where he was as good as Mackinnon.

Amazingly he's gotten even better.

This draft is just amazing and has it all, dynamic scorers and two way leaders... I think I like Drouin more than Monahan...

Old
10-01-2012, 04:21 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

I wish the draft were right now where Drouin may not be a top 10 pick. I have a feeling come draft day he will be a top 5 pick.

Old
10-01-2012, 04:37 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
**** I just want a top 10 pick in this draft!

Old
10-01-2012, 05:36 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy Kassian View Post
I laugh at the 10 scouts in McKenzie's rankings.

I was on the Drouin hype train during the QMJHL playoffs where he was as good as Mackinnon.

Amazingly he's gotten even better.

This draft is just amazing and has it all, dynamic scorers and two way leaders... I think I like Drouin more than Monahan...
He's kind of got the Richards treatment when he was playing Lecavalier. I think scouts might learn from that mistake.

Quote:
I wish the draft were right now where Drouin may not be a top 10 pick. I have a feeling come draft day he will be a top 5 pick.
Feels that way.

Old
10-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I doubt he'll be a Top 5 pick, this years' draft class is stacked with talent. I could see Drouin being a lot like Radek Faksa in this years' draft. Faksa jumped from like 23 to 7 near the end of the season in the rankings, but was passed up by quite a few teams until he was taken 13th or 14th by the Stars.

Old
10-01-2012, 06:01 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
I doubt he'll be a Top 5 pick, this years' draft class is stacked with talent. I could see Drouin being a lot like Radek Faksa in this years' draft. Faksa jumped from like 23 to 7 near the end of the season in the rankings, but was passed up by quite a few teams until he was taken 13th or 14th by the Stars.
I personally could see the top 5 going:

MacKinnon
Jones
Barkov
Drouin
Monahan

Old
10-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I personally could see the top 5 going:

MacKinnon
Jones
Barkov
Drouin
Monahan
Monahan should go before Drouin, and I believe Shinkaruk, Lazar, Pulock and Morrissey could all pass Drouin by the end of the season. I also can't see Barkov going that high.

Old
10-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

My Top 10:
Nathan Mackinnon
Seth Jones
Sean Monahan
Ryan Pulock
Hunter Shinkaruk
Curtis Lazar