HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

American Prospect Update Thread (Part 2)

Old
09-28-2012, 10:15 PM
pavelich

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I watched the game and I thought that top line was great.

Eichel is pretty much everything you'd want in a top line center. He's an excellent skater, strong puck handler, has great vision and passing ability and a strong shot. I was also quite impressed with his defensive play as he showed good positioning and was great on the back check. It'd be nice to see him add some snarl to his game though.

Milano is a nice player too; good stick skills, skating and a nose for the net. He'll just have to focus on gaining strength as he was badly out matched along the boards on a number of occasions.

This was a big win for the U17s but the game was very close through the first two periods. Demko was a real difference maker for them in that stretch as he came up with a number of big saves to keep the team in the game before Des Moines' melt down in the third. I'll be intrigued to see how the younger goalies perform over the coarse of the season as they're going to face a lot of quality chances until the defense learns how to handle the bigger, faster forwards they're facing.
cagney did anyone else catch your eye? i'm hoping to see tomorrow's game on fast hockey and wondering who else to watch for.
thanks

pavelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 07:40 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelich View Post
cagney did anyone else catch your eye? i'm hoping to see tomorrow's game on fast hockey and wondering who else to watch for.
thanks
It was a bit hit or miss outside of the first line yesterday. I thought Alex Tuch, Dylan Larkin and Ryan Hitchcock had some nice moments. Shane Eiserman, who's filling in from the U18 team, was also pretty good though I expected he'd stand out compared to U17 players.

On defense, Brandon Fortunato impressed me the most. He looked like a veteran out there while many of the other defensemen on the team were struggling a bit. Nate Billitier was also solid.

I assume Ed Minney will be in goal tonight. He was lit up pretty badly so it'll be interesting to see if he can bounce back.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 10:11 AM
pavelich

Quote:
It was a bit hit or miss outside of the first line yesterday. I thought Alex Tuch, Dylan Larkin and Ryan Hitchcock had some nice moments. Shane Eiserman, who's filling in from the U18 team, was also pretty good though I expected he'd stand out compared to U17 players.

On defense, Brandon Fortunato impressed me the most. He looked like a veteran out there while many of the other defensemen on the team were struggling a bit. Nate Billitier was also solid.

I assume Ed Minney will be in goal tonight. He was lit up pretty badly so it'll be interesting to see if he can bounce back.
Thanks!
Glad to hear Fortunato did well. He's a little guy but a very cool, heady player.

Old
09-29-2012, 02:19 PM
vedder1haleneddiernr

yes fortunato is an undersized defensemen however--he is a very smart player with great vision and stick handling skills--very interesting that he stood out to you especially since he was the last player picked for the team

vedder1haleneddiernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 03:31 PM
pavelich

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedder1haleneddiernr View Post
yes fortunato is an undersized defensemen however--he is a very smart player with great vision and stick handling skills--very interesting that he stood out to you especially since he was the last player picked for the team
I watched U17 game on Fast Hockey Saturday and Fortunato was very good. +3 (along with his partner Ryan Collins) in the 6-3 loss to Muskegon.

Old
10-02-2012, 12:26 AM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

I'm watching the NTDP U17 team for the first time live on Friday. Looking forward to it as I'm expecting big things from this group.

WeissFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 08:07 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
I watched U17 game on Fast Hockey Saturday and Fortunato was very good. +3 (along with his partner Ryan Collins) in the 6-3 loss to Muskegon.
I caught this game too and I thought the whole team played much better in the Friday game, including Fortunato. The Eichel-Milano-Wilkie line wasn't nearly as dangerous as they had been the day before. The inconsistency of youth is certainly part of it though Muskegon played a much tighter game defensively than Des Moines had and really neutralized the US attack for the most part, so credit to them.

Old
10-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 863
Biggs is expected to make the US WJC team, right?

Is there any chance he will get a shot to play an offensive role (like being a net presence on the PP) or will he just be played in a 3rd/4th line grinder role?

I'm looking forward to the WJC, if there's no lockout it will be a very evenly matched tournament this year.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 11:42 AM
pavelich

Quote:
I caught this game too and I thought the whole team played much better in the Friday game, including Fortunato. The Eichel-Milano-Wilkie line wasn't nearly as dangerous as they had been the day before. The inconsistency of youth is certainly part of it though Muskegon played a much tighter game defensively than Des Moines had and really neutralized the US attack for the most part, so credit to them.
Agreed. Muskegon kept it tight and I thought the Pavelek-Larkin-Hitchcock line was the only one really able to create much offense. Good point re. the inconsistency of youth. Also everyone is just getting used to new teammates, systems etc. Lots of promise with this team, looking forward to seeing more of them.

Old
10-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
Biggs is expected to make the US WJC team, right?

Is there any chance he will get a shot to play an offensive role (like being a net presence on the PP) or will he just be played in a 3rd/4th line grinder role?

I'm looking forward to the WJC, if there's no lockout it will be a very evenly matched tournament this year.
He has a good chance, although there are a few other players of his ilk that are also in the mix (Hartman, Matteau, etc.). The nice thing about Biggs is at least at the junior level he can slide up and down the line-up and be effective. You might see him ride shotgun with some of the smaller skilled players on the U.S. team, maybe even be a "bodyguard" type for Galchenyuk.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
He has a good chance, although there are a few other players of his ilk that are also in the mix (Hartman, Matteau, etc.). The nice thing about Biggs is at least at the junior level he can slide up and down the line-up and be effective. You might see him ride shotgun with some of the smaller skilled players on the U.S. team, maybe even be a "bodyguard" type for Galchenyuk.
He captained the U-18 team to gold, and scored the goal in OT in the gold medal game, so the US brass probably like him. I can see him having a big tournament if he gets put on a line with Galchenyuk.

Old
10-03-2012, 06:08 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
He captained the U-18 team to gold, and scored the goal in OT in the gold medal game, so the US brass probably like him. I can see him having a big tournament if he gets put on a line with Galchenyuk.
Not that it makes a huge difference to your point but Connor Murphy scored the gold medal winning goal in that tournament. Biggs' OT goal came in the semis against Canada.

I wasn't a fan of Biggs making the team before the summer evaluation camp but I thought he performed well there. I think he'd have to play himself out of a spot this fall to not make the team. He seems to be off to a solid start so far though.

Old
10-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

Quote:
Not that it makes a huge difference to your point but Connor Murphy scored the gold medal winning goal in that tournament. Biggs' OT goal came in the semis against Canada.

I wasn't a fan of Biggs making the team before the summer evaluation camp but I thought he performed well there. I think he'd have to play himself out of a spot this fall to not make the team. He seems to be off to a solid start so far though.
Ahh, sorry for the mix-up.

Old
10-04-2012, 06:01 AM
Exit Dose

Vincent Trocheck is off to a strong start this season.

GP: 5
Pts: 9(5+4)

Last edited by Exit Dose: 10-04-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Bills09

When does the NCAA start up?

Bills09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 06:41 PM
clevelandcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills09 View Post
When does the NCAA start up?
This weekend and next.

clevelandcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:47 PM
pavelich

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeissFC View Post
I'm watching the NTDP U17 team for the first time live on Friday. Looking forward to it as I'm expecting big things from this group.
Hey how was it?

Old
10-06-2012, 01:41 AM
William H Bonney

According to Michael Russo, Mario Lucia could be back in action by Thanksgiving. Hopefully he makes it back and is in form to keep himself in play - he could be a real wildcard for Team USA.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 11:42 AM
bradrich99

Looks like Keith Tkachuk's son Matt is off to a good start. 14pts in 4 games for T1ehl St. Louis. Is he a big guy like his dad?

bradrich99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Philadelphia Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrich99 View Post
Looks like Keith Tkachuk's son Matt is off to a good start. 14pts in 4 games for T1ehl St. Louis. Is he a big guy like his dad?
god I hope not

Philadelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:48 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

^^^^^^^

Hockey Central was talking about players blowing up after hockey. Keith Tkachuk was mentioned as someone who really packed on the pounds.
I guess it is true.

KevyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 01:02 PM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

Quote:
Hey how was it?
Very impressed with Jack Eichel. It was the first time I saw him play live and be is head and shoulders better than anyone on the U17 team. I'll be surprised if he is still on the U17 team by Christmas.

Also impressed with Brandon Fortunato (D), Joe Wegwerth (F), Nathan Billitier (D), and Ryan Hitchcock (F).

I was disappointed with the lack of physical play by the U17 team. Yeah, you could blame it on the adjustment period to the USHL or the fact they are all younger, but it should be noted this is one of the bigger teams the NTDP has put together (12 guys 6'0"+). I would blame it on the fact there are guys still trying to figure out their respective roles on the team.

Bottom line this group could be a very strong one, especially defensively. I'm looking forward to watching them more as the season goes on.

WeissFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 03:37 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrich99 View Post
No. He's 5'9 right now but I wouldn't be surprised if he's going to have some growth spurts here soon. He's a late '97 anyway so he's not draft eligible until 2016.

10-06-2012, 07:27 PM
William H Bonney

I'm watching North Dakota's exhibition game right now. Rocco Grimaldi looks to be just as dominate and dynamite as ever. He's dangled a few guys and rang the crossbar already.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Xokkeu

U18s getting smoked by Wisconsin

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote