HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Ryan Pulock - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2013, 15th overall, New York Islanders)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-27-2012, 12:00 PM
  #101
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,600
vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Goaltending the biggest issue with the Blades thus far?
Just a lack of overall effort, bad special teams and the biggest cause has been lack of discipline. Have given up 20 PP's in the last two games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Trying to weasel out already?

Just havin some fun.

There's 69 more games to go.
No, was just actually asking if we had fully agreed on the deal. Not weaseling.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 02:21 PM
  #102
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,231
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
No, was just actually asking if we had fully agreed on the deal. Not weaseling.
I thought we did, but you can back out if you like.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 08:37 PM
  #103
Yzlamic Extremist
Registered User
 
Yzlamic Extremist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,575
vCash: 629
Another goal and an assist tonight, such an incredible ppg for a defenseman.

Yzlamic Extremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 08:48 PM
  #104
allin4466
Registered User
 
allin4466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzerman View Post
Another goal and an assist tonight, such an incredible ppg for a defenseman.
It's impressive and he is good. Guys with a few years in the league usually put up a lot of points at the start of the year when there are still a lot of rookies getting their feet wet.

allin4466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 01:24 AM
  #105
Andy Dufresne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Not really a huge +- fan, or at least the way some fans use it to 'prove' how good random players are, but Pulock is +10 after 4 games, next best league wide is +7. He's also leading the league in scoring (tied), that is one bad ass start to the season for him. Possibly the best start for any of the top guys this draft year? (In any league)

I wonder if he can play his way into Jones' stratosphere? Considering they're both late 94' born (3 days apart actually) WHL'ers i think the comparisons between them might be inevitable. I agree with anyone who thinks Jones deserves a grace period as a WHL rookie, and stats aren't everything, and there's no way Pulock keep can up this pace...but it is possible that Pulock has taken his game to another level.


Last edited by Andy Dufresne: 09-29-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 01:58 PM
  #106
oldunclehue
Registered User
 
oldunclehue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Dufresne View Post
Not really a huge +- fan, or at least the way some fans use it to 'prove' how good random players are, but Pulock is +10 after 4 games, next best league wide is +7. He's also leading the league in scoring (tied), that is one bad ass start to the season for him. Possibly the best start for any of the top guys this draft year? (In any league)

I wonder if he can play his way into Jones' stratosphere? Considering they're both late 94' born (3 days apart actually) WHL'ers i think the comparisons between them might be inevitable. I agree with anyone who thinks Jones deserves a grace period as a WHL rookie, and stats aren't everything, and there's no way Pulock keep can up this pace...but it is possible that Pulock has taken his game to another level.

It's possible he has taken his game up a notch, he put on a good 6-10lbs of good muscle this summer and trained hard....another year of WHL experience has helped of course. What I think is going to help him a lot is the amount he will be depended on for scoring. Wheat Kings do not have any big name threats up front, their D is faily solid....so Pulock may be put out there to offer more punch for offense.

All in all, this pace can't be continued, but he can lead the league this year as a Dman and hopefully play his way up the draft!

oldunclehue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 02:07 PM
  #107
sbtatter
Registered User
 
sbtatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 500
Let's not forget that Pulock was voted WHL 1st team all star last season in only his 2nd season, the only thing stopping him from being the top dman pick in the draft is that he plays in a small prairie center where there is little media to hype him. If he was playing in Calgary or Vancouver, he'd be getting a lot more positive press coverage.

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 03:00 PM
  #108
JetsHomer
Registered User
 
JetsHomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,269
vCash: 50
I wonder if he can play his way onto the WJ team this year.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 04:13 PM
  #109
sbtatter
Registered User
 
sbtatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I wonder if he can play his way onto the WJ team this year.
He's the best d-man in the WHL so he'd better be on the team!

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 04:35 PM
  #110
JetsHomer
Registered User
 
JetsHomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,269
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
He's the best d-man in the WHL so he'd better be on the team!
It'll be hard with the lockout. Hamilton, Rielly, Murphy and Murray will all probably make the team, and they would have all had shots at their NHL teams. If he keeps putting up these kind of stats though he'll get an invite for sure.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 05:23 PM
  #111
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
It'll be hard with the lockout. Hamilton, Rielly, Murphy and Murray will all probably make the team, and they would have all had shots at their NHL teams. If he keeps putting up these kind of stats though he'll get an invite for sure.
Rielly aside yea everyone else very likely would have been with their NHL clubs.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 06:07 PM
  #112
sbtatter
Registered User
 
sbtatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Rielly aside yea everyone else very likely would have been with their NHL clubs.
Would Murphy really make the NHL this year?

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 06:37 PM
  #113
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
Would Murphy really make the NHL this year?
He's close as he would get tbh. Yea i'd think he could've made it.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 06:50 PM
  #114
Karlssonlee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
He's close as he would get tbh. Yea i'd think he could've made it.
Yea I think he's a shoe in this year. Kid is a dynamite on the power play. Canada likes having a power play specialist generally.

He's really getting underrated around here IMO

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 06:52 PM
  #115
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
Let's not forget that Pulock was voted WHL 1st team all star last season in only his 2nd season, the only thing stopping him from being the top dman pick in the draft is that he plays in a small prairie center where there is little media to hype him. If he was playing in Calgary or Vancouver, he'd be getting a lot more positive press coverage.
You actually think NHL teams draft based on media hype? Whichever NHL team drafts him will have scouts see him play live many, many times, enough to form their own opinion, not one from the media determined by the size of the media centre.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 06:59 PM
  #116
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlssonlee View Post
Yea I think he's a shoe in this year. Kid is a dynamite on the power play. Canada likes having a power play specialist generally.

He's really getting underrated around here IMO
I love his offense but sometimes his "only me" plays bug me. I get he's great offense but don't forget you're a defensemen .

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 09:04 PM
  #117
sbtatter
Registered User
 
sbtatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
You actually think NHL teams draft based on media hype? Whichever NHL team drafts him will have scouts see him play live many, many times, enough to form their own opinion, not one from the media determined by the size of the media centre.
Let me rephrase that, the only thing stopping him being touted on boards like this as the top d-man in the draft is the fact he plays in one of the smallest centers in junior hockey. Obviously teams draft based on scouts opinions.

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:35 PM
  #118
sbtatter
Registered User
 
sbtatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 500
An excellent TSN story featuring #BWK captain Ryan Pulock and GM Kelly McCrimmon
http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/#clip755995


Last edited by sbtatter: 10-02-2012 at 09:43 PM.
sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 10:04 PM
  #119
habsrule4eva3089
Registered User
 
habsrule4eva3089's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
An excellent TSN story featuring #BWK captain Ryan Pulock and GM Kelly McCrimmon
http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/#clip755995
Great story covering both angles of it and how it's brought the two together. Seems like a really good kid. & what's with everyone and the same flo these days, he looks like a western version of Mackinnon haha!

habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:28 AM
  #120
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
He's the best d-man in the WHL so he'd better be on the team!
As others have mentioned, if the NHL lockout is still going strong by WJC time, team Canada is going to be really tough to make. A handful of players have been mentioned already, but when you really look at the depth it's unreal. Hamilton, Murray, Murphy, Rielly, Reinhart, Dumba, Pouliot, Siemens, Percy, Ouellet, Sproul, Harrington, Ceci, Koekkoek, etc., it'll be very difficult for an undrafted dman to make the team. I can see some undrafted forwards making team Canada (like MacKinnon and Monahan, maybe even guys like Shinkaruk, Drouin or Lazar), but on d I think it'll be nothing but drafted players.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:21 PM
  #121
NHL Dude 120
Registered User
 
NHL Dude 120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Ethiopia
Posts: 573
vCash: 109
playing style

I don't know much about Ryan,other than hf boards and but from what I've seen he seems like an impressive prospect. enough rambling i was wondering if some Brandon Wheat Kings fans could comment on a few questions . Oh and i'm an Ottawa Senators fan.

1. What is his ceiling ? ( i.e top pair defensemen, franchise player top four defensemen etc...)
2. How is he Defensively ( is he defensivly sound or a liability in the defensive zone) ?
3. A comparable player ( which player does his playing style resemble) ?
4. How long until he's NHL ready ?
5. Would he need time in the AHL
6. Assuming Ottawa drafts 15th could he drop all the way to Ottawa ?
7. Would he be a better penalty killer or better on the power play ?
8. Seth Jones vs Ryan Pulock whos the better overall Defensemen
9. Are there any Character Issues with this kid
10. is he a player worth trading up for in the draft
11. A player to compliment his playing style ( i.e Ceci, Cowen, Karlson)
12. Does he fight ? and if so is it often
13. Whats his playing style ( shutdown D, 2 way, Offensive D)

while i'd prefer Ottawa to draft Monahan Ottawa is not nearly bad enough to actually draft him, its always best to have a plan B ( no knock on him) it would probably be the same with Jets fans ( the Manitoba connection). Thanks and sorry if i have alot of questions i want to get a basic feel of what this kid can do, oh and for who say to go to a game and watch him play I live in Ottawa so i dont have as much time to watch him play.

NHL Dude 120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:49 PM
  #122
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Dude 120 View Post
I don't know much about Ryan,other than hf boards and but from what I've seen he seems like an impressive prospect. enough rambling i was wondering if some Brandon Wheat Kings fans could comment on a few questions . Oh and i'm an Ottawa Senators fan.

1. What is his ceiling ? ( i.e top pair defensemen, franchise player top four defensemen etc...)
2. How is he Defensively ( is he defensivly sound or a liability in the defensive zone) ?
3. A comparable player ( which player does his playing style resemble) ?
4. How long until he's NHL ready ?
5. Would he need time in the AHL
6. Assuming Ottawa drafts 15th could he drop all the way to Ottawa ?
7. Would he be a better penalty killer or better on the power play ?
8. Seth Jones vs Ryan Pulock whos the better overall Defensemen
9. Are there any Character Issues with this kid
10. is he a player worth trading up for in the draft
11. A player to compliment his playing style ( i.e Ceci, Cowen, Karlson)
12. Does he fight ? and if so is it often
13. Whats his playing style ( shutdown D, 2 way, Offensive D)

while i'd prefer Ottawa to draft Monahan Ottawa is not nearly bad enough to actually draft him, its always best to have a plan B ( no knock on him) it would probably be the same with Jets fans ( the Manitoba connection). Thanks and sorry if i have alot of questions i want to get a basic feel of what this kid can do, oh and for who say to go to a game and watch him play I live in Ottawa so i dont have as much time to watch him play.
Why not start reading from page 1 if you want to know what people here think of him.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:56 PM
  #123
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,600
vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Why not start reading from page 1 if you want to know what people here think of him.
This.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 01:00 PM
  #124
ManByng
Moroz fan
 
ManByng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,521
vCash: 500
man, Pulock would sure look good on the Oilers blueline!!

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 01:04 PM
  #125
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
man, Pulock would sure look good on the Oilers blueline!!
Ya I would like the Oilers to try and target a guy like Pulock if possible. I also think Center is still our weakest position, so obviously a Monahan/Barkov/Lazar would look great behind RNH

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.