HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Worst team -Trades

Old
09-29-2012, 03:07 AM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

vCash: 500
Worst team -Trades

Since we have a lockout, and most trade proposals are BS..

Lets look at which team has had the worst trade history..

Although I am very much an Oil fan, I would have to say we are by far the worst.

And I won't consider the 80s trades as bad...the team fell apart because of ownership issues.

I edited this because this thread was misunderstood badly...

It wasn't just about the value of the trades. It was also what the trade affected. Missing out on Hamonic, Lucic, Perry etc...

Last edited by Aceonfire: 10-01-2012 at 02:22 AM.
Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 08:29 AM
don

For me it was Jay Miller and Steve Kasper for an injured Bobby Carpenter.

don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

vCash: 270
The Mike Milbury Islanders

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 09:17 AM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

Team trades?

like the almost Edmonton for Toronto trade.

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 11:24 AM
RogerRoeper*

Nothing touches the Millbury years in Long Island. I also think Ron Caron made so many horrific trades in St.Louis.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 02:39 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post

Although I am very much an Oil fan, I would have to say we are by far the worst.

And I won't consider the 80s trades as bad...the team fell apart because of ownership issues.

3rd round pick (Brian Gionta..) to NJ for Fredrik Lindquist and a 4th, 5th

Mike Comrie to Philly for Jeff Woywitka, 1st round pick in 2004 (Rob Schremp), and 3rd round pick in 2005 (Dan Syvret)
The issue with this is we could of had Corey Perry and a 1st from Anaheim (That 1st was Smid....) but Comrie refused to pay back his signing bonus and as a result the trade fell apart. That is why he was booed when he came back.

Marty Reasoner traded to Boston with Yan Stastny and 2nd round pick in 2006 (Milan Lucic) for Sergei Samsonov.

Marc-Andre Bergeron traded with 3rd round pick in 2008 (Kirill Petrov) to NY Islanders for Denis Grebeshkov

Robert Nilsson traded by NY Islanders with Ryan O'Marra and 1st round pick in 2007 (Alex Plante) for Ryan Smyth.

Joffrey Lupul traded with Jason Smith to Philadelphia for Joni Pitkanen, Geoff Sanderson and 3rd round pick in 2009 (Cameron Abney)...as Lupul goes on to have a great season in T.O

Allan Rourke traded by NY Islanders with 3rd round pick in 2008 (Kirill Petrov (NY Islanders)) for 2nd round pick in 2008 (Travis Hamonic).

Curtis Glencross traded by Columbus for Dick Tarnstrom (And not signing him??? Not even an offer??)

Matt Greene traded with Jarret Stoll to Los Angeles for Lubomir Visnovsky. (We all know how this turns out, and even Lubo went on to score 68 points with the Ducks.)

Erik Cole traded to Carolina with 5th round draft pick in 2009 (Matt Kennedy) for Patrick O'Sullivan and 2nd round pick in 2009 (Jesse Blacker (Toronto))

This is not even all of the bad trades, and there were a few steals of course. Not hating on the Oil...but some of these trades went soooo bad. And the Heatley fiasco, really?
What a stupid post, yes because the Oilers have so much to do with what others do with the draft picks they get. Yeah that Samsanov trade was so terrible since he only put up 16 points in 19 games and was a key part of the playoff run we had, yeahh soo terrible. Most people also think when you get the best player like Vishnovsky you win the trade, especially for a third liner and a 5/6 d man, oh sorry I forgot because they won the cup we were dumb (after all they were the reason that LA won the cup). Eric Cole wanted out and once again getting the best player in a trade like Joni Pitkanen for a guy who was clearly beyond the end of the line (as Pronger had to carry him during the cup run and he did nothing the following year) and a guy in Lupul you fans ran out of town is soo terrible, I would also like to point out he has player ONE full season since the trade from Edmonton.

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 05:01 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
What a stupid post, yes because the Oilers have so much to do with what others do with the draft picks they get. Yeah that Samsanov trade was so terrible since he only put up 16 points in 19 games and was a key part of the playoff run we had, yeahh soo terrible. Most people also think when you get the best player like Vishnovsky you win the trade, especially for a third liner and a 5/6 d man, oh sorry I forgot because they won the cup we were dumb (after all they were the reason that LA won the cup). Eric Cole wanted out and once again getting the best player in a trade like Joni Pitkanen for a guy who was clearly beyond the end of the line (as Pronger had to carry him during the cup run and he did nothing the following year) and a guy in Lupul you fans ran out of town is soo terrible, I would also like to point out he has player ONE full season since the trade from Edmonton.
I'd say Stoll and Greene contributed moe to winning a stanley cup in LA than Lubo did in edmonton.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Jamin

Quote:

Mike Comrie to Philly for Jeff Woywitka, 1st round pick in 2004 (Rob Schremp), and 3rd round pick in 2005 (Dan Syvret)
The issue with this is we could of had Corey Perry and a 1st from Anaheim (That 1st was Smid....) but Comrie refused to pay back his signing bonus and as a result the trade fell apart. That is why he was booed when he came back.

Marty Reasoner traded to Boston with Yan Stastny and 2nd round pick in 2006 (Milan Lucic) for Sergei Samsonov.

Marc-Andre Bergeron traded with 3rd round pick in 2008 (Kirill Petrov) to NY Islanders for Denis Grebeshkov

Robert Nilsson traded by NY Islanders with Ryan O'Marra and 1st round pick in 2007 (Alex Plante) for Ryan Smyth.

Joffrey Lupul traded with Jason Smith to Philadelphia for Joni Pitkanen, Geoff Sanderson and 3rd round pick in 2009 (Cameron Abney)...as Lupul goes on to have a great season in T.O

Allan Rourke traded by NY Islanders with 3rd round pick in 2008 (Kirill Petrov (NY Islanders)) for 2nd round pick in 2008 (Travis Hamonic).

Curtis Glencross traded by Columbus for Dick Tarnstrom (And not signing him??? Not even an offer??)

Matt Greene traded with Jarret Stoll to Los Angeles for Lubomir Visnovsky. (We all know how this turns out, and even Lubo went on to score 68 points with the Ducks.)

Erik Cole traded to Carolina with 5th round draft pick in 2009 (Matt Kennedy) for Patrick O'Sullivan and 2nd round pick in 2009 (Jesse Blacker (Toronto))

This is not even all of the bad trades, and there were a few steals of course. Not hating on the Oil...but some of these trades went soooo bad. And the Heatley fiasco, really?
-Well a bunch of teams passed on Lucic, he would easily be a first rounder if scouting was an exact science. Reasoner and a 2nd was worth the cup run to my life experiences imo

-Bergeron sucks and Grebs was decent, if his qualifying offer wasnt so high Nashville would have re-signed him and if it wasnt for Pat Quinn him and Lubo would still be on the team.

-Complaining about Lupul having a good season in Toronto is one of the dumbest things Ive heard, wow we traded him in 2007 and 5 years later he finally lived up to potential. Pitkanen is a good dman, shame he is a headcase, if he played like he does in Carolina id be happy with that trade.

-Not signing Glencross is unforgiveable and one of Lowe's worst decisions but the trade itself was good

-Lubo was a bad trade because he never wanted to be here. Having said that if Lowe had filled the hole Stoll's departure created (or just kept Reasoner instead of letting him go as UFA) it would have been a good trade. Its with hindsight it looks bad and me thinks if LA doesnt win the cup its probably not included. An elite player like Lubo is worth a third pairing dman and third line center, its the roster managment that was the problem.

-POS was god awful but at the time oiler fans were jacked to have him. Id say turning a primo asset like Pitkanen into only Erik Cole was way worse asset managment then trading cole away was

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 07:55 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
-Well a bunch of teams passed on Lucic, he would easily be a first rounder if scouting was an exact science. Reasoner and a 2nd was worth the cup run to my life experiences imo

-Bergeron sucks and Grebs was decent, if his qualifying offer wasnt so high Nashville would have re-signed him and if it wasnt for Pat Quinn him and Lubo would still be on the team.

-Complaining about Lupul having a good season in Toronto is one of the dumbest things Ive heard, wow we traded him in 2007 and 5 years later he finally lived up to potential. Pitkanen is a good dman, shame he is a headcase, if he played like he does in Carolina id be happy with that trade.

-Not signing Glencross is unforgiveable and one of Lowe's worst decisions but the trade itself was good

-Lubo was a bad trade because he never wanted to be here. Having said that if Lowe had filled the hole Stoll's departure created (or just kept Reasoner instead of letting him go as UFA) it would have been a good trade. Its with hindsight it looks bad and me thinks if LA doesnt win the cup its probably not included. An elite player like Lubo is worth a third pairing dman and third line center, its the roster managment that was the problem.

-POS was god awful but at the time oiler fans were jacked to have him. Id say turning a primo asset like Pitkanen into only Erik Cole was way worse asset managment then trading cole away was

I was one of the oiler fans who was jacked to get POS but like the other teams found out why teams dumped him.

As for Pitkanen, I believe flyer fans can voice their opinion here, but Pitkanen's head was not screwed on straight and atleast twice in Edmonton he went to the coaches saying he could not play and he was not injured.

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
..... You clearly have no idea what the point of the thread was. We trade for players, then trade them away or don't sign them. EDM has a terrible history with trades, in no way is that a secret and trying to defend it is hilarious.
EDM has lost more talent in trades then gained, look at it that way...

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Nothing touches the Millbury years in Long Island. I also think Ron Caron made so many horrific trades in St.Louis.
Nah, he made two great deals acquiring Hull and Oates for mostly aging players. BrindAmour trade was pretty bad, but Id hardly say he made many horrific trades.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 11:43 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Quote:
..... You clearly have no idea what the point of the thread was. We trade for players, then trade them away or don't sign them. EDM has a terrible history with trades, in no way is that a secret and trying to defend it is hilarious.
EDM has lost more talent in trades then gained, look at it that way...
the trade helped them get to the final

as for bad trades that gave up draft picks--look at the kings from the late 70's to the mid 80's and the players taken with picks that were originally king property

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 01:17 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Pronger for Brewer, Woywitka and Doug Lynch.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 06:11 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:

I'm not an Oilers fan, but I want to say the Oilers are not even close to having the worst trades.

I am a Bruins fan and just off the top of my head I can think of worse trades than any of those made by Boston, Vancouver, New York Rangers, Chicago, Toronto, and who could forget the many Mad Mike Milbury gems where if he had only held onto his prospects I seriously have to wonder if the Islanders would have won a Cup in the last 10 years. Chara, Spezza, Luongo, Bertuzzi, McCabe, Berard, Osgood, it goes on and on and on.

The real answer to the team with the worst trades is the Islanders and Mike Milbury in particular.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 07:45 AM
guyzeur

Sens have a couple bad and good ones

Bad:
Pavol Demitra to St-Louis for Christer Olsson,
Heatley vs Hossa
Heatley to SJ trade early on
Havlat to Chicago
In a three-way deal: Ottawa Senators traded Martin Havlat and Bryan Smolinski to the Chicago Blackhawks, San Jose Sharks traded Tom Preissing and Josh Hennessy to the Ottawa Senators (via Chicago), Chicago Blackhawks traded Mark Bell to the San Jose Sharks and traded Michal Barinka and a 2nd round selection in 2008 to the Ottawa Senators.

Good:
Yashin for 2nd overall, Chara, and Bill Muckalt
Heatley trade in the last two years

To be evaluated:
Turris for Rundblad and 2nd round pick

And sometimes, it's not about trades it's about making a choice between two players like Redden and Chara.

Or silly decisions like MTL sending Mikhail Grabovski to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Greg Pateryn and a 2nd round selection in 2010.

guyzeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

I'd say the 2nd worst time is the Ballard years, with Milbury 1st.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Stansfield*

I don't like trades that involve random draft steals like the Lucic one, because the team (in this case Edmonton) traded the value of the pick, not the value of the player that was selected with it. Plus Samsonov helped them reach the finals so IDK why how that constitutes a bad trade in the first place.

Stansfield* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 02:07 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I'm not an Oilers fan, but I want to say the Oilers are not even close to having the worst trades.

I am a Bruins fan and just off the top of my head I can think of worse trades than any of those made by Boston, Vancouver, New York Rangers, Chicago, Toronto, and who could forget the many Mad Mike Milbury gems where if he had only held onto his prospects I seriously have to wonder if the Islanders would have won a Cup in the last 10 years. Chara, Spezza, Luongo, Bertuzzi, McCabe, Berard, Osgood, it goes on and on and on.

The real answer to the team with the worst trades is the Islanders and Mike Milbury in particular.
When you throw in trading JP Dumont, waiving Martin Straka after 6 weeks and drafting DiPietro instead of Heatley or Gaborik and you right, the Isles would have been a powerhouse and perhaps have won a Cup or two. But Mad Mike had to be smarter than everyone else.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 03:08 PM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Any time the Flames trade with Toronto

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 06:38 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:

Just absolutely ridiculous. I don't even know where to begin with this post.

I think I'll nominate this one as Hindsight Post of the Year.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 07:44 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
When you throw in trading JP Dumont, waiving Martin Straka after 6 weeks and drafting DiPietro instead of Heatley or Gaborik and you right, the Isles would have been a powerhouse and perhaps have won a Cup or two. But Mad Mike had to be smarter than everyone else.
The only trade that actually worked out for the Islanders was the Peca trade.

It really is depressing to think about, but in the early 2000's we could have had a team of:

Bertuzzi - Spezza - Gaborik
Connolly - Jokinen - Dumont
Pyatt - Scatchard - Bates
Torres - Lapointe - Blake

Chara - McCabe
Jonsson - Aucoin
Hamrlik - Martinek

Luongo
Osgood/Snow/whoever...

On the bright side, we probably wouldn't have Tavares if it wasn't for Milbury. For that, thanks Mike.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 10:43 PM
BoltSTH

Denis-Modin . Top line power winger for one of the worst goalies I have ever seen

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 11:18 PM
HatTricK09

Most trades that Bob Gainey/ Pierre Gauthier did for the Habs

Ribeiro + 6th rd pick for Niinimaa + 5th rd pick

McDonagh, Higgins, Valentenko, rights to Janik for Gomez, Pyatt, Busto

HatTricK09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTricK09 View Post
Most trades that Bob Gainey/ Pierre Gauthier did for the Habs

Ribeiro + 6th rd pick for Niinimaa + 5th rd pick

McDonagh, Higgins, Valentenko, rights to Janik for Gomez, Pyatt, Busto

Well Gainey/Gauthier did win a trade or two during there tenure (Rivet for Gorges and a 1st Pacioretty), they gave up on far too many young players along the way. Off the top of my head....

Ribeiro
Latendresse
Chipchura
Grabovski
S Kostitsyn
Dagostini
O'Byrne
Lapierre
McDonagh

I see the reason behind trading the majority of those players, but with the exception of Palushaj/Gomez and possibly Bournival in the future, we don't have a single player on the roster to show for any of those trades.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
The majority of Kings trades over the years have been bad, really bad. In the history of the franchise, the Dionne deal, the Gretzky deal, the Deadmarsh deal and the Richards and Carter deals have been the best I'd say. Since 1967, that's horrible.

Last edited by Reaper45: 10-01-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote