HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XX)

Old
09-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Who is the guy asking questions that weren't really questions? That would annoy me. Cool statement bro, got a question?

I think I'd be like Pronger at interviews.
It should be Chere, but I`ve been wrong before.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 02:57 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Never thought that hit was too dirty. Have a feeling that if someone like Clarkson did that to someone like Timonen, people here would be singing a different tune about its legality.

Carter sized him up from the blueline? Get real. No one even knew the play would end up in front of the net until a second or two before. Richards lost the check on the boards.
I'll always characterize that hit as dirty and blindsided.

Whether Carter sized up Salmela from the blueline is debatable, but, to me, you can kinda tell what Carter intended to do by his body language.

PADevil3034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Hiemer View Post
that should have been a suspension. it was a blind side hit.
It wasn't an illegal hit back then. Predatory? Yes. Disrespectful of an opponent's safety? Yes. Completely unnecessary to remove Salmela from the puck? Yes. Illegal? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Someone should have went up and punked carter back regardless. Not debating the legality, just the fact no one played the role of vigilante. Sad
Most definitely. That hit was within the rules, but it felt dirty, you know? There is too much instigation of fights after clean hits going on, but that's one situation where I wouldn't have complained.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by PADevil3034 View Post
I'll always characterize that hit as dirty and blindsided.

Whether Carter sized up Salmela from the blueline is debatable, but, to me, you can kinda tell what Carter intended to do by his body language.
So it was a predatory hit. Are Devils fans actually complaining about that? We had Scott Stevens on our team. He threw plenty of hits with the intention of knocking the player into another universe.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
So it was a predatory hit. Are Devils fans actually complaining about that? We had Scott Stevens on our team. He threw plenty of hits with the intention of knocking the player into another universe.
One difference, and I think it's an important difference, is that Stevens threw those hits primarily in the playoffs, not usually in the regular season. He ratcheted up the intensity and intimidation in order to help the team win. Carter's was during an inconsequential game in the regular season.

Another difference is that Stevens generally hit from the front or the side, if his victims had their heads up it would have gone differently. In Carter's hit, he had the backpressure angle, there was little Salmela could do to avoid his fate.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:47 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
One difference, and I think it's an important difference, is that Stevens threw those hits primarily in the playoffs, not usually in the regular season. He ratcheted up the intensity and intimidation in order to help the team win. Carter's was during an inconsequential game in the regular season.

Another difference is that Stevens generally hit from the front or the side, if his victims had their heads up it would have gone differently. In Carter's hit, he had the backpressure angle, there was little Salmela could do to avoid his fate.
Nail on the head.

I agree that the hit was legal, but it just left an awful taste in my mouth.

PADevil3034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
It wasn't an illegal hit back then. Predatory? Yes. Disrespectful of an opponent's safety? Yes. Completely unnecessary to remove Salmela from the puck? Yes. Illegal? No.

Most definitely. That hit was within the rules, but it felt dirty, you know? There is too much instigation of fights after clean hits going on, but that's one situation where I wouldn't have complained.
Agreed. Totally.

It was clean, but there was absolutely no respect for the other player in that hit. Now, we look at that a lot differently, because in say, the 1990s that was a nice hit, but nowadays, it's no illegal it's frowned upon ( I laugh everytime I say that).

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Zippy316

My boredom, but something to think about...

Bozak+pick for Tallinder

or

Tallinder and Burlon for Bozak, Kadri/Colborne?

Thoughts?

Old
09-29-2012, 07:35 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
My boredom, but something to think about...

Bozak+pick for Tallinder

or

Tallinder and Burlon for Bozak, Kadri/Colborne?

Thoughts?
I wanna do something for sure, but I wanna wait for the salary cap to see what that is. We're gonna have to wait for the CBA anyway before we can make a move. I just don't wanna get in the position where the cap is the proposed $60 million next year and we can't re sign Zajac, and Clarkson or both of them because we got so much on the books.

It's gonna be hectic with Henrique, Josefson, Tedenby, and Butler all RFA's too, and likely getting raises. Josefson, and Tedenby will likely not get a big raise cause they will have never played a full NHL season. Henrique however will.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Kadri is looking more and more like a bust. Bozak is wildly overrated by Leafs fans, I think we could do better if we put Tallinder on the market.

Old
09-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

At least if we took Kadri he can't own Marty in the shootout again!

Old
09-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Kadri is looking more and more like a bust. Bozak is wildly overrated by Leafs fans, I think we could do better if we put Tallinder on the market.
Bozak put up 27 points in 37 games in 2009-2010. 32 points in 82 games in 2010-2011. 47 points in 73 games last year.

The only concern I have with Bozak is he is a UFA at years end. The way I see it, we get a young player that still has some upside. If 40ish points is all he tops out at, we get a versatile C/W that can play second or third line roles, almost like Zubrus.

I would be perfectly fine with Bozak and a conditional pick (3rd if he resigns, 2nd if he doesn't) for Tallinder. If all else fails, we send Tallinder out for a second round pick and make room for a younger guy.

Kadri may be overhyped by Leafs fans, but he is still only 21. It might be good for him to get out of Toronto and into a less demanding environment. The Devils will let him develop at his own pace. Even then, if anything, he becomes a 40 point 2nd/3rd liner and the Devils send out Burlon who they truly don't have much room for with their defensive prospects.

Old
09-30-2012, 12:20 AM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Jesus, anyone else see the twitter Rampage Krys Barch went on today

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:31 AM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Yeah, just read that. I like how vocal they are.

Still don't care though, alls I want is my NHL back.

Devilsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:40 AM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

Damn Krys Barch wow

I wonder what Lou thinks haha

EliasR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 01:03 AM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

I would get rid of Tallinder at this point just to dump his salary from our cap. Both he, and Greene are making roughly the same amount, and neither have a NMC of any kind. Tallinder has one year left after this, Greene has two. I'd get rid of Tallinder long before Greene. Zidlicky will probably be gone anyway. Hate to say it but we can't expect to give Zubrus, and Patty what they made on their last contract, and keep Zajac, and Clarkson. Not if the cap goes down.

I don't think Sal's contract will turn out to be a problem but if it does I'm sure we can unload it. If Lou could get rid of Rolston's contract who was older, and whose cap hit was much more brutal than he can make anybody disappear. Just hopefully we won't have to take on a player to buy out like Trent Hunter.

Old
09-30-2012, 01:04 AM
Officer Rod Farva
Fire Pete DeBoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovalchukR8 View Post
Damn Krys Barch wow

Well atleast we know for a fact now that we wont have Cam and Barch in the lineup at the same time.

/Lou Hammer

Officer Rod Farva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 01:12 AM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

I don't think Lou can do anything about it right now. GM's can't have contact with players during the lockout.

Old
09-30-2012, 01:40 AM
Officer Rod Farva
Fire Pete DeBoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I don't think Lou can do anything about it right now. GM's can't have contact with players during the lockout.
yeah he cant cut him now but at the start of training camp, hell be let go due to being "out of shape"

Officer Rod Farva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I would get rid of Tallinder at this point just to dump his salary from our cap. Both he, and Greene are making roughly the same amount, and neither have a NMC of any kind. Tallinder has one year left after this, Greene has two. I'd get rid of Tallinder long before Greene. Zidlicky will probably be gone anyway. Hate to say it but we can't expect to give Zubrus, and Patty what they made on their last contract, and keep Zajac, and Clarkson. Not if the cap goes down.

I don't think Sal's contract will turn out to be a problem but if it does I'm sure we can unload it. If Lou could get rid of Rolston's contract who was older, and whose cap hit was much more brutal than he can make anybody disappear. Just hopefully we won't have to take on a player to buy out like Trent Hunter.
The way I am looking at it is unload Tallinder for offensive help, leaves you with 7 defenseman on NHL contracts. After this year, Harrold and also maybe Zidlicky leave. That's room for Gelinas and Urbom to step up and prove themselves.

The cap is being "proposed" at 58 million. We all know that means that if the fixed cap scenario is set in place, the players will likely bargain for between 60-63.

We have tons of room, Zubrus can be resigned at 2.5ish per, Elias might be willing to take a cap hit of 5 million per. Zajac will get a 1.5 million dollar raise, Clarkson will get a bit of a raise as well.

We also will have Zidlicky coming off the cap, so that's 4 million right there being replaced by a rookie on an ELC.

Old
09-30-2012, 09:15 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletown Mike View Post
yeah he cant cut him now but at the start of training camp, hell be let go due to being "out of shape"
He will get good old Dr Lemaire to give his opinion on how out of shape Barch is, if necessary.

Old
09-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovalchukR8 View Post
Damn Krys Barch wow

Guys preaching what he thinks. He's 100% right in my opinion, and I only wish a more known guy like Crosby or Ovechkin would've tweeted it.

Old
09-30-2012, 02:26 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

Quote:
i called bust on his draft day. leafs ruin everyone they pick....the guy is a turnover/giveaway legend already.

(i do realize kovy is high too but there is a differnce between the a kovy and a kadri big time otherwise)

njdevils1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
I dont know why, but when the season starts (hopefully)

Why dont we put Yayo/Kovy on a Line together ?? I think something like Kovy-Yayo-Henrique , would be a pretty solid line, both offensively and defensively. I definitely want Josefson to get a bigger chance in the Top 6 this season.

Something like this

Elias/Kovy - Zajac - Clarkie
Kovy/Elias -Josefson-Henrique

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils1982 View Post
i called bust on his draft day. leafs ruin everyone they pick....the guy is a turnover/giveaway legend already.

(i do realize kovy is high too but there is a differnce between the a kovy and a kadri big time otherwise)
The Leafs' development system is atrocious, and that's a result of the market they play in, and their management philosophy. Kids are rushed and don't learn how to play proper defence, or how to play responsibly with and without the puck.