Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrik Elias!

Old
05-06-2006, 12:45 PM
MNwild10

vCash: 500
Patrik Elias!

Hey all, I don't post very much, but I'm always lurking. Anywho, I just had to get this off my chest.

Why not Elias this UFA season? Yes, I realize he would come at a steep price, but pair him with Gabby and Rolston on the top line and WOW! what a combo!

In my opinion, Elias is THE most underrated wing in the league and would be an ideal fit with the Wild. He can score, plays great defense, and he's a team character guy.

Check this article out... It talks about Elias and UFA. There's also a post on the devils bored about Elias and UFA. Many devils fans seem certain he'll be gone this off-season.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=164652&hubname=nhl]

MNwild10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Street Hawk

Brodeur....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNwild10
Hey all, I don't post very much, but I'm always lurking. Anywho, I just had to get this off my chest.

Why not Elias this UFA season? Yes, I realize he would come at a steep price, but pair him with Gabby and Rolston on the top line and WOW! what a combo!

In my opinion, Elias is THE most underrated wing in the league and would be an ideal fit with the Wild. He can score, plays great defense, and he's a team character guy.

Check this article out... It talks about Elias and UFA. There's also a post on the devils bored about Elias and UFA. Many devils fans seem certain he'll be gone this off-season.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=164652&hubname=nhl]
In the past no other Devil has made more than Stevens or Brodeur. And both guys were making just a bit less than the other top guys at their positions.

However, with Niedermayer leaving NJ, the Devils probably need to rethink how they run the team. Elias is 30 years old now, so another 4 years with him even at 6 plus per season is still a good deal. It was easier for Niedermayer to leave because he had over a year away from the Devils because of the lockout. He wanted a new challenge and change and that's what he got in Anaheim. Devils had to change their style of attack this season, so I think the Devils should be able to resign him.

Not many NHLers leave their current teams, unless they get blown away by another offer. Besides, if the Wild pay 6.5 - 7 million for Elias, they would need to match that to Gaborik, and from everything that Riseborough has said, he doesn't seem to want to have tonnes of cap space tied to a couple of players.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Wild Thing

He's definitely one of the guys I'd most like to see them target this summer if the price is right. He's not only a terrific player, he's one guy Lemaire wouldn't have to spend half a season teaching him how to skate backwards.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing
He's definitely one of the guys I'd most like to see them target this summer if the price is right. He's not only a terrific player, he's one guy Lemaire wouldn't have to spend half a season teaching him how to skate backwards.
LOL, yeah he wasted that season years ago in New Jersey.

Wow, I couldn't think of a move that would give me permanent hockey stick more than this...whoa!

Time for Jacques to gather up all the old troops and get us to the promised land...

Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Sherlock

Send a message via AIM to Sherlock
I don't even know what I would do if we landed Elias. It would be such a complete turnaround from everything I've gotten used to in Minnesota that I'm not sure how I'd react. I'd probably be like those guys that win the lottery and just walk around in a haze for a few days/weeks before it really hits them.

In fact, I don't even want to think about it. I'm getting too excited at simply the thought.

Sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 05:07 PM
WILDTATE10

vCash: 50
was elias with new Jersy when Lemair coached there?

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Zaddik

Send a message via MSN to Zaddik
i'm in favour of this because that would mean minnesota would stop playing it's 'positional game' adn play a more exciting game.

Zaddik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 07:39 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

probably not gonna happen, but ya I'd probably soil myself if it really did.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 07:44 PM
sushinsky4tsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNwild10
Why not Elias this UFA season?
Because. He has kooties.

Seriously though. You're right. Why the he*l not. Maybe Elias in particular has no interest in coming here. But one of the bluechip FAs must be willing to take a boatload of cash to come here. I would just as soon it be this guy or one of the Ottawans.

sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk
Besides, if the Wild pay 6.5 - 7 million for Elias, they would need to match that to Gaborik, and from everything that Riseborough has said, he doesn't seem to want to have tonnes of cap space tied to a couple of players.
He may need to pay Gaborik close to that anyway, Elias or no Elias. I wouldn't have any problem with paying each player 6 mill a year if they're players of that caliber. 6 million isn't too much as long as you're getting 6 million worth of player, which I think both of these guys are.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTATE10
was elias with new Jersy when Lemair coached there?
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...pid%5B%5D=3095

Yup, he was up for Jacques' last two years there, not on the championship team though...

Old
05-07-2006, 09:13 PM
The Big E

When I think about Elias coming to the Wild, my only reservation is that this is Marion Gaborik's team. While Gabbie will likely never be captain, he's our superstar and it's his team to lead to the Cup. Would Elias receiving the massive amount of cash and promises it would take to get him, give Gabbie a wedgie?

With that said, he knows what he's in for if he comes here. As previously mentioned, he knows Lemaire. Furthermore, the intangibles he brings would elevate the Wild to a serious contender.

O yea ... I'm a bit of a pessimist, sadly. I just think that the Elias auction will rank up there with the Redden and Chara auctions this summer. Man, that's gonna take alot of cash and be so out-of-character for our stingey organization ... I'm just not going to get my hopes up that we'd even join the frenzy.

The Big E

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 10:18 PM
MNwild10

I think if you sit Gabby down and talk to him about the situation, he would jump all over it. Who wouldn't want to play with Elias? This is the offensive player Gaborik whined about not having during the year. Well, here's your solution. I think without a doubt Gaborik would have no problem sharing the limelight with Elias, because I sure as hell wouldn't if I was Gaborik.

MNwild10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
Methinks the price has gone though the roof for this guy, given what he did to New York. Maybe the 'Canes can drive the price back down....

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Wild Bill

Don't you guys think Gaborik's displeasure with his situation has more to do with the money not being spent on better players to be surrounded with than his own compensation? The trapping style seems to be a direct result of the talent level of the team and the inability to play a "wide open", gunslinging brand of hockey. Better players, better hockey, more fun they have. Elias would prolly make hockey more fun for Gabby.

Not that we'll get him...the more I think about it, the more the odds increase against..too many better teams could/will offer up more. I guess we can only hope.

Old
05-08-2006, 11:49 PM
The Big E

Right. I now completely agree with your arguments. While there may be a few players with egos too big for the Wild, Gabbie would probably like to play with someone who might draw away defensive attention.

Look at what Joe Thornton has done for Jonathan Cheechoo and Patrick Marleau!

The Big E

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 12:15 AM
Realm

No thanks, I wouldnt tie up 6 million+ a year on this guy. I would rather get 2 wingers at around 3-4 million a year and a stud defenseman in the system.

Realm is offline   Reply With Quote