HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Five stages of lockout grief - Which ones did you experience?

Old
09-30-2012, 09:07 AM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
Though a link from a link in habsworld.com, I found the following article:

The Five Stages Of Lockout Grief

http://thehockeywriters.com/shj/the-...lockout-grief/

These stages have been identified as:

1) Denial ,

2) Anger ,

3) Bargaining ,

4) Depression &

5) Acceptance .

I never did go through the anger, bargaining and depression stages. I went straight from a sort of denial (they can't be so stupid as to do this again) to an acceptance (ah... what the heck... the sun'll still rise again tomorrow and God is still good).

It was interesting but one of the comments in the 'acceptance' paragraph "I can watch the KHL or AHL". I don't expect to watch the KHL but I am going to watch Bulldog games online through this site:

http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/

Looking forward to seeing the new crop of kids making the next big step.

So, how about you? Did you go through any or all of these stages?
I am fine with it. I am pulling for the PA this year I did last time also. I see it lasting more than a season this time.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 09:27 AM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
The season hasn't been completely lost yet so you can't really speak of grief. But ultimately if it is, it's not that big of a deal.

Call me nostalgic, and that's probably what this is but hockey has just gotten worse and worse ever since I started watching back in 92.

Here's a quick list of things that were better back then :

-UFA age at 31 : teams kept their young stars forever. Draft was a lot more meaningful.
-Because of UFA age at 31. if you acquired a 24 year old star player that meant years of that player, more than whatever was left on his contract. So when trades happened they were automatically more meaningful and exciting.
-Trade deadlines were more exciting. Possibly as a result of UFA age at 31. But actually, it's probably just because parity has made it so teams don't want to sell much anymore.
-Tons of offense : fourteen 50 goal scorers in 92-93 !
-Lemieux + Gretzky at the same time!
-So many great players : Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, Lafontaine, Bure, Selanne, Yzerman, Sakic, Bourque, Coffey, Neely, Sundin, Stevens, Niedermayer, Gilmour, McInnis, Zubov, Lidstrom, Jagr, Robitaille, Mogilny, Turgeon, Hull, Chelios, Roenick, etc.
-Eight canadian teams and a lot fewer POS markets no one cares about like Nashville, Carolina, Florida, Phoenix.
-24 teams : talent concentration galore = better games and better rivalries.
-Bowman was still coaching.
-Lots of powerhouse teams made the playoffs something to behold as it got down to the big dogs.
-Habs-nords rivalry
-1 ref on the ice, and he couldn't do ****. Refs were as bad back then as today but they weren't empowered to make calls. They'd swallow their whistles in big games and that wasn't as bad as lots of random calls.
-No auto whistle with dump ins with a teammate still in the other team's zone (was later reverted, thank god).
-When the score was still tied after 65 min it was a tie. Loser point is dumb. And worse is the shootout. There's nothing wrong with a regular season tie. Nothing at all.
-A lot more wooden sticks. Stick didn't randomly break in half for no reason at the rate they break now. I don't know if that's why but it feels like the passing game was better as a result.
-There were only 4 divisions. If you lead your division, you deserved a spot at the top. But with 6 divisions, there are sometimes **** divisions and often you have a team that doesn't belong in the top 3. It messes up the standings and just makes for dumb playoffs matchups with teams gone too early which shouldn't be. Fans lose.

I would have gone through a little bit of grief as a young kid (even as an adult) missing out on '92 NHL.

But this NHL ? With the lockouts, teams moving to southern USA, shootouts, refs still the same level of terrible but now they've been empowered to make calls and every game is a roller coaster of randomness as a result, concussions, UFA age at 25-27, salary caps, ... well that NHL I don't think I will miss so much.

Over the past 20 years there has been a constant will to fix what was not broken. Ties, the infamous ruined season because of the stupid skate in goalie circle rule. And nearly every time it just made the game worse and worse. The game didn't need to be changed.
Honestly, if it were me, I'd undo nearly all changes that have been made over the past 20 years. The best changes of the past 20 years have been regulating goalie equipment (duh), moving Atlanta to winnipeg, reverting the neutral zone dump in rule, removal of the central line for 2 zones passes purposes. So nearly all good changes were just about reverting the mistakes of the past 20 years. Pretty much every other changes have just made the game a little worse one little change at a time until it's become a shadow of what it once was. The good news is that the NHL was awesome back then, so as a shadow of its former self, it's still good. Just sad to think it could be much better.

Wow talk about going on a huge tangent and sounding like a bitter nostalgic old man. Oh well.. I've written it might as well hit submit reply now.

I agree with all of these points especially the game ending in a TIE and the 24 teams lets trim the fat and get the game back to what it was.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 11:29 AM
E = CH²

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I saw this http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...-season/11655/ posted in the business of hockey section here and after reading it I don't care if the NHL is gone for multiple years if it's true.. I hope the owners wait this out long enough that the players come crawling back begging to go back..
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I am fine with it. I am pulling for the PA this year I did last time also. I see it lasting more than a season this time.
The problem I have with pulling for the owners is that in 05, they got everything they wanted. Made the players crawl back on their knees, take a 25% paycut, etc. Killed a season and the players hated coming back under these conditions.

Seven years later, you'd think we'd go on a strike because owners went too far in 05 and now the players want the pendulum to swing back toward the middle. Well nope, despite getting everything they wanted and making the players hate the deal, it's the owners who feel they can't go on like this anymore. So Bettman somehow got shafted in 05? And now the owners don't want to continue with the same CBA and are locking the players out ? Mmmm...

Seems like if you're going to force a deal down the throat of your employees and get everything you want, you can't cry about it 7 years later and go on lockout again. Maybe that's a simplistic way to look at it... but I can't help but feel that Bettman ****ed up 7 years ago.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 11:48 AM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
The problem I have with pulling for the owners is that in 05, they got everything they wanted. Made the players crawl back on their knees, take a 25% paycut, etc. Killed a season and the players hated coming back under these conditions.

Seven years later, you'd think we'd go on a strike because owners went too far in 05 and now the players want the pendulum to swing back toward the middle. Well nope, despite getting everything they wanted and making the players hate the deal, it's the owners who feel they can't go on like this anymore. So Bettman somehow got shafted in 05? And now the owners don't want to continue with the same CBA and are locking the players out ? Mmmm...

Seems like if you're going to force a deal down the throat of your employees and get everything you want, you can't cry about it 7 years later and go on lockout again. Maybe that's a simplistic way to look at it... but I can't help but feel that Bettman ****ed up 7 years ago.
Looking back now you're probably right..

When the last CBA was signed 7 years ago the players felt they had lost big time and were screwed over by the owners.. Jump ahead 7 years and that same CBA the players felt they lost big time on is suddenly good enough that they even offered to keep playing using the old one while a new CBA was being worked on. I guess the players realized that deal wasn't so bad after all.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:46 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
im way past acceptance already...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 01:20 PM
icerocket

I don't care. I'll Just watch the NBA and KHL highlights.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Belso

I'm still at pissed off...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 04:31 PM
JSBach

I started out not caring any more than those lemons would have, but as we draw closer to October 4th, I'm starting to feel it. I guess you could say I'm going from acceptance to anger.

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Teufelsdreck

None of them. However, I wish I heard news rather than day after day of silence. I don't bother checking NHL.com except to learn about player signings.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 07:07 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
I'm still at pissed off...
me too and won't be moving from it until the lockout ends

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 07:15 PM
guest1467

Didn't phase me.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:29 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I probably experienced these 5 stages in 2004 but this time around I skipped over all 5 and went straight to #6..

6) I really don't give a **** .
Same goes for me. Millionaires fighting Billionaires. Whichever side gets their way they will all still get rich....I just dont care anymore.

Last edited by IceDaddy: 10-01-2012 at 08:51 AM.
IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote