HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

McIlrath - Surgery for Dislocated Kneecap

Old
09-10-2012, 02:36 PM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
When asked what justified taking this guy so high --- if I remember like 10th overall --- it was because the intangible was the intimidation factor.

How intimidating could he be ... ?
Being an intimidating player is one thing. Being compared to Scott Stevens is quite another. No one has ever made such a comparison.
Quote:
That's why I was ok with this pick, assuming somewhere approaching that ballpark.
You are going to be severely disappointed. This pick will not approach the Scott Stevens ballpark. Not remotely close.
Quote:
It's not clear to me how much these particular injuries will take away from that hope, if at all.
Considering that he had no chance of being even close to Stevens, they should not damper it at all.
Quote:
However, I agree it is a fair question to ask if that high a benchmark should ever have been linked to him in the first place....
Rest easy. There is no such benchmark.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Robyn Regehr is perhaps good comparison. Willie Mitchell if he hits full potential.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 02:57 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I always liked the Douglas Murray comp.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 03:03 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

EJ did:

Quote:
Central Scouting director EJ McGuire says: "One of the toughest players in the draft... He'll play 15 or so years in the NHL. He has Scott Stevens toughness and maybe Scott Stevens skill."
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...-96958539.html

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 03:11 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
That doesn't say he will become Scott Stevens.

09-10-2012, 03:31 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I always liked the Douglas Murray comp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Robyn Regehr is perhaps good comparison. Willie Mitchell if he hits full potential.
If McIlrath become either of these guys who can also drop the gloves, I'd be happy. I really respect both blueliners.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 04:11 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't recall McIrath ever being likened to Scott Stevens.
"Likened" is exacxtly what EJ did. Unless you meant to say something else, like he predicted him to be the next Stevens.

Old
09-10-2012, 11:18 PM
Vitto79

I expect McIlrath to be a 3rd pairing physical Dman to start and in a few yrs top 4, 2nd pair RD on the Rangers is open depending on how Sauer is feeling

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:00 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Thanks.
Perhaps this is the quote I was remembering.
A player like this, I cut a lot more slack as to projecting skills if they are not obvious.

But I did hope he'd be a Stevens like wall of iron (who could skate adequately at minimum) for us.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:54 AM
eco's bones

Dylan if/when he makes it and I really think he will--probably be a 3rd pairing for a season or two--I have to imagine the Rangers plan though is that he'll eventually be a top 4 guy who will make our backline very tough to play against. Too early in his development though to be guaranteeing that.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 09:45 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
"Likened" is exacxtly what EJ did. Unless you meant to say something else, like he predicted him to be the next Stevens.
Quote:
Well then EJ was dead wrong. He points out one attribute that McIrath and Stevens share toughness. To say that he maybe Stevens skill is 1) a hypothetical and 2) misguided as Stevens was coming off a 42 point season when he drafted while McIlrath had 24 points.

Regardless, anyone who hoped that McIrath would turn into another Scott Stevens when he was drafted is bound to be sorely disappointed. And I like McIlrath and I didn't mind the pick.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Well then EJ was dead wrong. He points out one attribute that McIrath and Stevens share toughness. To say that he maybe Stevens skill is 1) a hypothetical and 2) misguided as Stevens was coming off a 42 point season when he drafted while McIlrath had 24 points.

Regardless, anyone who hoped that McIrath would turn into another Scott Stevens when he was drafted is bound to be sorely disappointed. And I like McIlrath and I didn't mind the pick.
I think this will be most people's view in five years. I wasn't crazy about the pick at the time, but I think it's safe to say that Gordie Clarke is a bit more knowledgeable about analyzing young hockey players than I am ;-). I think he will become a solid #4 who plays hard, hits, and defends his teammates. He has fan favorite written all over him as long as his game progresses well enough. Look at a guy like Beukeboom - how many Ranger fans have any bad things to say about a guy like that? Most people here are pumped just to see Beuk become an assistant coach in Hartford, and would gladly have the Rangers sign his son - based largely on family reputation.

As long as Tarasenko doesn't become a super star and Gormley doesn't become a perennial Norris Trophy candidate (I'm not a big Fowler fan, so I left him off), then I think most people will like this pick in the end. It may not be fair to Mcilrath, but his name will be tied to those players for years when it comes to knowledgeable Ranger fans.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

The Rangers need a guy that will put fear into the opposition coming over the blue line and venturing into the crease.

Mr Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 11:20 AM
mooskating
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
The Rangers need a guy that will put fear into the opposition coming over the blue line and venturing into the crease.
crease clearing is going to be huge. when was the last time we had a guy who legitimately could keep the net clear every shift? with his size i don't think we'll have any issues with net screening.

mooskating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Give the kid 2 yrs in the AHL. Then when Stralman's contract expires he can step right in. IF he can sooner then great.

LD is set with Staal, McDonaugh, Del Zotto but they could use RD help. Assuming Sauer does not make it back to 100 percent

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 09:40 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Well then EJ was dead wrong. He points out one attribute that McIrath and Stevens share — toughness. To say that he maybe Stevens skill is 1) a hypothetical and 2) misguided as Stevens was coming off a 42 point season when he drafted while McIlrath had 24 points.

I'm not arguing with you. I just wanted to point out that Stevens' name was thrown around by reputable people after he was drafted.

Besides, i dont think EJ was talking about post 1991 Scott Stevens. i think he was talking about post-draft/Washington Capitals Stevens. The points comparison is irrelevant since 42 points in the 1982 OHL is not comparable to 24 points in the 2010 WHL. McIlrath was 10th on his team in scoring as a 17-year-old dman in 2010, while Stevens was 9th in his team in scoring as a 17 year old.

IMO I think he's got Derian Hatcher/Adam Foote/Brooks Orpik upside, not Norris trophy/Hall of Fame upside.

Anyway, Stevens put up points when he was on the Capitals because he just shot the puck, and shot the puck, and shot the puck more. He wasn't really a puck rusher (Larry Murphy and Kevin hatcher were), but he showed flashes here and there.

McIlrath has a very good, hard shot akin to Stevens. It's a bomb actually. The toughness aspect, well there's no need to explain that one. I can tell you as a fan who watched Stevens from Day One that McIlrath has some of his traits. But then again, so do a lot of guys when they're amateurs.

If McIlrath is put on the top PP unit and allowed to unload (like Jay Garrison in Florida or Chara in Ottawa), he will put up points with the talent surrounding him, and grow into a bigger role.

People who think he's some no-talent Goon who can't skate have either never seen him play more than once or are still butthirt over not drafting Tarasenko.

I'm siding with EJ, Gordie and Sather on this kid -- he will be a nightmare to play against in more ways than one.

Last edited by GWOW: 09-15-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old
09-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Kreider
My name is Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
crease clearing is going to be huge. when was the last time we had a guy who legitimately could keep the net clear every shift? with his size i don't think we'll have any issues with net screening.
Sauer...

Kreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 07:52 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
Sauer...
Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 09:10 AM
petejudge

what's the news as far as McIlrath being healthy for the Whale season opener?

petejudge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 10:38 AM
ck20

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
what's the news as far as McIlrath being healthy for the Whale season opener?
I read somewhere he won't be ready for camp and was questionable for the beginning of the season.

edit: http://blueshirtsunited.com/photos/1...-health-update

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 11:49 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Well clearly it didn't heal as hoped. He injured his kneecap 3 months ago.

Just ridiculous.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:15 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Well clearly it didn't heal as hoped. He injured his kneecap 3 months ago.

Just ridiculous.
Clearly.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
Sauer...
What's his status? Will he ever recover completely? Of course nobody knows, but what has been said?

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:33 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Dylan McIlrath, recovering from a dislocated left kneecap suffered during summer prospect's camp, working out off-ice at #CTWhale camp.
-Gross

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 09-30-2012 at 01:13 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:45 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Clearly.
Was this sarcasm? Honestly not sure haha.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote