HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Top 6 Center to Anaheim

Old
09-30-2012, 10:19 AM
SupermanPahlsson
@DucksProspects

vCash: 500
Top 6 Center to Anaheim

After the busy/productive off-season the Ducks had, the only glaring hole that the Ducks have is at the second-line center position.

Boudreau and Murray have already said Koivu will be playing 3rd line minutes, and although they said they'd be mostly looking in-house for a 2C (Holland, Bonino), the position is up for grabs.

Rakell, Roy and Karlsson are still a ways away, and if hypothetically Getzlaf walks, the Ducks have absolutely no depth down the middle.

So, who would be available and for what price?

SupermanPahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 10:37 AM
candyman82

If Ryan Johansen establishes himself on the Jackets, Derick Brassard could become available.

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
In before Krejci for Ryan.

Someone was going to say it.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Elvs

I think it was apparent that the Ducks will give Bonino/Holland the shot at it once Murray spended all the money on defense (Allen, Souray) instead of just signing one of them and sign a center with what was over. If neither Holland or Bonino works out, I'm guessing they'll go with Koivu in that role again.

Palmieri - Getzlaf - Perry
Ryan - Holland/Bonino - Selanne
Cogliano - Koivu - Smith-Pelly
Beleskey - Bonino/McMillan - Winnik

...is what I'm expecting. It's far from perfect on paper. Will Ryan, Getzlaf and Perry bounce back? Can Koivu and Selanne be effective for another year? Will Holland and Palmieri break out? There's certainly a lot of ifs, but if most of them turn out well it could be a good season for the Ducks. The situation reminds me a lof of the one back in 05/06, when the team started the season looking something like:

Sykora - Fedorov - Selanne
Kunitz - McDonald - Lupul
Hedstrom - Pahlsson - Niedermayer
Fedoruk - Getzlaf - Perry

...an aging Fedorov, a finished Selanne (it seemed), McDonald was only a 30+ point center before. Lupul was still untested, Kunitz only had 20+ career games. Bryzgalov was an untested backup... Etc, etc...

Selanne bounced back, McDonald and Kunitz came out of nowhere, Getzlaf and Perry had good rookie seasons and everything just fell into place and the team went to the conference finals.

I think we'll have to hope for a similar situation now. Unfortunately we haven't had any major surprise players since McDonald, Kunitz, Selanne and Beauchemin.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 11:03 AM
SupermanPahlsson
@DucksProspects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
Palmieri - Getzlaf - Perry
Ryan - Holland/Bonino - Selanne
Cogliano - Koivu - Smith-Pelly
Beleskey - Bonino/McMillan - Winnik
Interesting that you split up the Finns. Ideally I'd like to see that happen too, so that Ryan/Teemu can cover for Holland's deficiencies a bit rather than that second-line being a 'kid line'.

Although I'd switch up Palmieri and Smith-Pelly. Smith-Pelly is the exact LW Getzlaf and Perry need, while Palmieri works very well on the right-side, whereas he struggled mightily playing on his off-wing before Perry got injured last year. Cogliano-Koivu-Palmieri is a line that could surprise people.

Old
09-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanPahlsson View Post
Interesting that you split up the Finns. Ideally I'd like to see that happen too, so that Ryan/Teemu can cover for Holland's deficiencies a bit rather than that second-line being a 'kid line'.

Although I'd switch up Palmieri and Smith-Pelly. Smith-Pelly is the exact LW Getzlaf and Perry need, while Palmieri works very well on the right-side, whereas he struggled mightily playing on his off-wing before Perry got injured last year. Cogliano-Koivu-Palmieri is a line that could surprise people.
As of now, DSP lacks the puck skills that are required to play with the twins. It has also been fairly well documented that the Finns will be split up this year... Unless BB plans on playing Teemu third line minutes along with Koivu.

Also, the Ducks have so many question marks about the future of their forward group going forward that I doubt they would pull the trigger and give up the assets required to get a 2nd line center. Come trade deadline, and the future of the team is more clear is the only time I can see them trying to trade for a 2nd line center. Of course it will be highly dependent on the situation the team is in.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 11:13 AM
IranCondraAffair

Welcome to Ottawa during the entirety of the last CBA.

A good second "C" is hard to come by.

Attempts to create a 2nd "C" from a 3rd "C" with more ice time doesn't work. Also, beware Tyler Arnason.
Be prepared to give up something big (See: Rundblad, David). We're still hoping that Turris is the solution.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Interesting that you split up the Finns. Ideally I'd like to see that happen too (...)
I think it's all but certain. I think Boudreau has openly commented about looking forward to be using Koivu as a 3rd line center going forward. I don't think there's a chance that drags Teemu down, as well.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 11:19 AM
SupermanPahlsson
@DucksProspects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
As of now, DSP lacks the puck skills that are required to play with the twins. It has also been fairly well documented that the Finns will be split up this year... Unless BB plans on playing Teemu third line minutes along with Koivu.

Also, the Ducks have so many question marks about the future of their forward group going forward that I doubt they would pull the trigger and give up the assets required to get a 2nd line center. Come trade deadline, and the future of the team is more clear is the only time I can see them trying to trade for a 2nd line center. Of course it will be highly dependent on the situation the team is in.
I don't think that would detriment him as much as we would think. I'm sure you've watched the Getzlaf Google+ hangout where he describes him and Perry's perfect left-winger, and its someone who can be effective playing off the puck and that crashes the net. I think DSP flanks them perfectly, and he would be used by Getzlaf and Perry better than a Ryan or Palmieri.

And I didn't know that bit about splitting up the Finns. I like it though.

Old
09-30-2012, 11:32 AM
InjuredChoker

Maybe Filppula from Detroit? We would want D back but there come the issues then.

Vatanen isn't available, I think and wouldn't fill the need as much top pairing D or physical defensive top4D.
Anaheim just signed Allen and Souray
Lindholm is too far out.
Fowler is of course off the table
Lydman alone wouldn't be enough.
I doubt you would trade Beaucheamin and he's too old for my liking anyway.

Basically leaves Sbisa.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 11:37 AM
SupermanPahlsson
@DucksProspects

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Maybe Filppula from Detroit? We would want D back but there come the issues then.

Vatanen isn't available, I think and wouldn't fill the need as much top pairing D or physical defensive top4D.
Anaheim just signed Allen and Souray
Lindholm is too far out.
Fowler is of course off the table
Lydman alone wouldn't be enough.
I doubt you would trade Beaucheamin and he's too old for my liking anyway.

Basically leaves Sbisa.
I'd love Filppula, but I wouldn't give up Sbisa for a year or less of Filp.

Old
09-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Corey Perry*

Beauch is only 32....

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:07 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
I'd love Filppula, but I wouldn't give up Sbisa for a year or less of Filp.
I think you could re-sign him but if I were in your boots, I wouldn't probably wouldn't do it either.

Old
09-30-2012, 12:10 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Bunky View Post
Beauch is only 32....
Only and 'only'. Detroit is already older team and no one knows how many years guys have left when they hit their 30s. Beaucheamin may not have more than 3 or so years on him, maybe less. He plays hard and has mileage under already.

He would still be only short term solution, imo.

Old
09-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Zippy316

Not saying he's available, but if the Devils decide to trade him mid-season ( if there is one ). What would you guys pay for Travis Zajac?

Devils are going to want forwards, they don't need defensemen or defensive prospects and the same goes for goaltending prospects. Ideally, Devils would want a young NHL player+forward prospect and a pick.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Not saying he's available, but if the Devils decide to trade him mid-season ( if there is one ). What would you guys pay for Travis Zajac?

Devils are going to want forwards, they don't need defensemen or defensive prospects and the same goes for goaltending prospects. Ideally, Devils would want a young NHL player+forward prospect and a pick.
qNopt anything worth it to you guys unless we are in the hunt. Which means no.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:50 PM
SupermanPahlsson
@DucksProspects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post

Palmieri and a pick?

Old
09-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Exit Dose

I wouldn't say that Rakell is all that far away.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Grabovski for 1st 2013 and cond. 2nd if it's not top 15?

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:59 PM
SupermanPahlsson
@DucksProspects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I wouldn't say that Rakell is all that far away.
Really? I'd say he's this OHL season + one/half AHL season away from playing. I've paid $6.99 to watch each of the three Plymouth games this year and he's been brilliant, but I think he'll need some time to adjust to playing center against higher competition.

Old
09-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Really? I'd say he's this OHL season + one/half AHL season away from playing. I've paid $6.99 to watch each of the three Plymouth games this year and he's been brilliant, but I think he'll need some time to adjust to playing center against higher competition.
I've seen all of them but last night's game, which from the sound of it, is every game you saw.

Old
09-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Palmieri and a pick?
I would consider that, depends on what the pick is.

Of course, this trade would only be made if the Devils fall out of the race and the Ducks are in it, so in that case, a first rounder would likely be in the late teens up to the twenties.

Then again, Lou likes to hold onto his UFAs to try to sign them, but if the right deal came, I think he'd pull the trigger. Ducks might have to add though, because I think other teams would offer up more for Zajac, he's your prototypical second line center that can play in all situations, teams like Chicago, who could use a 2C would be in the hunt as well.

Palmieri is from Montvale, NJ too.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 01:05 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Ducks have two pretty good centers already

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Ducks have two pretty good centers already
Yes, but one is in his late 30's and one only has one year left on his contract.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Yes, but one is in his late 30's and one only has one year left on his contract.
Sounds like a good reason to keep a top 15 pick.